• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Nemesis556 said:
The conversation that Shepherd and Liara have
on the Normandy
while the menu music from Mass Effect 1 plays is so amazing. You feel, as they reminisce, that you are reminiscing too and feel like returning to those moments.

I just love the way BioWare drew you in within that scene itself. It just felt so perfectly done and it made me realise just how much I love Mass Effect, and moments like these this gen.

I also just went and bought all three books on a whim. >_>

yea i bought 2 of the 3 books on my kindle app on my ipad. cannot wait to read them this weekend.

scarybore

Not sure if it's been mentioned here and I don't think it's new thread worthy, but I just happened to notice on the official forums that there is a Mass Effect 2: Atmospheric album available to download from iTunes, Zune, Amazon and probably other places.

Lakitu

st5fu
Nemesis556 said:
The conversation that Shepherd and Liara have
on the Normandy
while the menu music from Mass Effect 1 plays is so amazing. You feel, as they reminisce, that you are reminiscing too and feel like returning to those moments.

I just love the way BioWare drew you in within that scene itself. It just felt so perfectly done and it made me realise just how much I love Mass Effect, and moments like these this gen.

I also just went and bought all three books on a whim. >_>

Definitely my favourite scene of the DLC and possibly of the whole series. I've not felt strongly one way or the other, but that scene made me think maybe I should have romanced Liara.

I saw
the whole romance scene itself on Youtube and it was touching. Shepard wants little blue babies :lol and not just that, but some of the dialogue options were great. Like when Liara asks what are you fighting for? Both of the options are great, I picked the second one where Shepard says he felt like the whole galaxy was trying to kill him. I felt really sad for him after he said that.

Bah, I love this DLC. More story stuff like this for DLC please Bioware.

Owzers

megalowho said:
Fake value? Who cares how much it costs the developer to produce? It's some of the funniest and most rewarding content in the game if you've taken the time to get to know your squadmates and enjoy the Mass Effect universe as a whole. This comment makes no sense to me, unless we're talking about completely different things.

We're talking about different things :p You're talking more about the actual game part of the dlc, i'm talking about the "on-going" benefits like being able to mark which planets have the highest mining count. I take offense to stuff like that.

Mining sucks, so if you buy this dlc, part of the benefit is that you'll get to make it easier!

Lakitu

st5fu
sillymonkey321 said:
We're talking about different things :p You're talking more about the actual game part of the dlc, i'm talking about the "on-going" benefits like being able to mark which planets have the highest mining count. I take offense to stuff like that.

Mining sucks, so if you buy this dlc, part of the benefit is that you'll get to make it easier!

You purchase an investment of a planet, and all you have to do is go back the next day and claim all the minerals. It's not that bad, there's no mining involved. I'd rather they used this sort of thing for ME 3 rather than mining itself.

Also, the videos are worth it and I like the investment opportunities. But something tells me the Intel Center will be of further use in the future.

In other news, I've had Vigil playing for the last half an hour. The best track in the series.

Rubezh

Okay, I have a bit of a problem.
The investment opportunities, collections, and videos tell me to come back the "next day". The problem is that I've already finished every single main and secondary mission and explored the entire galaxy. There's literally nothing more I can do. How am I supposed to advance to the next day? I've already tried landing at some random place like Illium or Omega and then coming back but it doesn't change anything.

Lakitu

st5fu
Rubezh said:
Okay, I have a bit of a problem.
The investment opportunities, collections, and videos tell me to come back the "next day". The problem is that I've already finished every single main and secondary mission and explored the entire galaxy. There's literally nothing more I can do. How am I supposed to advance to the next day? I've already tried landing at some random place like Illium or Omega and then coming back but it doesn't change anything.

It's updated every single calender day real-time. So the moment it hits midnight on your internal clock then it's updated. That's what I've been doing.

Rufus

For the videos I just went mining in other systems for a bit, just one planet each time (I did it two times and I think I saw them all) and when I came back there were new ones available.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I did all the sidequests in this game my second playthrough. Really didn't care for them. The puzzles were insultingly easy (and I mean literally insulting, I was hurt), they felt weird and funky (like climbing across that ship which was about to fall off a cliff, you'd have to use the duck in cover mechanic to climb over small ledges :lol ), and overall they were just plan lame.

Well, I just finished ME1, and in about 95% of it's sidequests, I shit you not, it reused the same four dungeons. Some mine, some space station (always a freighter), and two building structures. It used those four layouts. Every. Fucking. Time. And as cool as the Mako was at first, the game soon became Mako Effect. At least half of those sidequests was spent driving around climbing shit looking for anomalies and bringing up the map every 15 seconds to see where the heck I was goin'.

So in short, I actually appreciate the sidequests in ME2. I'd rather have mediocre ones than shitty ones. ME2 is really not that much smaller than ME1. I see no difference between ME2's small areas (Tuchanka, Omega, Zakera Ward) versus ME1's one big Citadel and in a pinch Ferros. It really is the same shit in both games, you have merchants, people with fetch quests, and people giving you coordinates to places. Same thing.

Wiggum2007

The Suicide Mission felt way too short and underwhelming after the whole game was spent building up to it. It feels like it's missing at least a couple gameplay 'sections', I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some of its content got cut during development.

Aske

I'm replaying ME1 right now and whenever I think about the hours I've put into these games, I become increasingly paranoid about my 360's HDD preserving my saves until ME3 comes out. I came across this solution elsewhere, but didn't find any confirmation that it works.

1. Move your ME2 save game to a USB stick

2. Insert the USB stick in your computer and copy the Xbox360 folder from the stick to your HD (The folder is hidden, so make sure the computer is set to read hidden files)

3. Insert USB stick in your Xbox and move the save game back to Xbox HD

4. When you need your save game backup, copy the entire Xbox360 folder from the PC to a USB stick (that's been formatted in your Xbox) and insert it in the Xbox.

Has anyone here attempted this? And will this work on a Mac? I've never screwed around with hidden files before.

Mindlog

If you find out let us know. I don't know if that works.

My human supremacist would like 1 Hanar baby for his fish tank.

It appears stasis is broken atm. I'm going to use it as a bonus power just to mess around. Here is a video courtesy of the PA stasis research division.

corduroy pants

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Did anybody else catch the Blasto related news report in LOTSB?

gdt

I'm so jealous. I have to wait till Amazon posts my Halo Reach credit, then 2 days after that so the card ships :/.

I want more ME2!

Fowler

sillymonkey321 said:
My biggest complaint about dlc reviews are the "on-going" benefits. It's right up there with achievement points because these "benefits" are incredibly cheap to produce for developers and give a fake value to the content, it's the equivalent of paid cheat codes.

Think we're talking about two different things. I'm referring to...

Shadow Broker's base being available as another Normandy-esque home area. BioWare didn't do that as a neat epilogue for a single piece of DLC; seems likely it'll have more use going forward beyond mining-without-actually-mining or watching funny videos.

Mindlog

EatChildren said:
Did anybody else catch the Blasto related news report in LOTSB?

Crap, I missed that one. Time to replay the game again! I probably missed it because I thought it was one of the other Blasto plugs.

For some people the DLC is introducing weird bugs. Last time I played some of my fish floated out of the tank and into the cabin. Demon fish.

Fowler said:
Think we're talking about two different things. I'm referring to...

Shadow Broker's base being available as another Normandy-esque home area. BioWare didn't do that as a neat epilogue for a single piece of DLC; seems likely it'll have more use going forward beyond mining-without-actually-mining or watching funny videos.

I was hoping Mass Effect 2 would include and update my Pinnacle Station prize. I want Bioware to use the investment opportunities console the same way it does the CNN feed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If only this weren't optional DLC. The way it ends provides nice framework for new missions that dont come from the Illusive Man.

Dilly

Banned
I wonder how bioware is going to handle ME3 in terms of locations. There are a lot of locations which seem important, also for the next game in the series.

EatChildren

Dilly said:
I wonder how bioware is going to handle ME3 in terms of locations. There are a lot of locations which seem important, also for the next game in the series.

I guess we'll visit a Turian planet, since they're due for exposure, and maybe somewhere Salarian. Earth too.

The previous DLC for Mass Effect 2 wasn't interesting, i believe Shadow Broker is by far the BEST dlc bioware dished out.. i hope they release future content as good as this.

Can't wait to see what resources Shadow Broker Liara will provide in Mass Effect 3! also.. i loved the shadow broker intel, they should stick with that in the next game.. maybe have the ability to send spies to gather intel on your targets?
[/QUOTE]

Wiggum2007

I hope they make our character background relevant again, I was disappointed that my Earthborn and especially Sole Survivor status went ignored in ME2.

EatChildren said:
I guess we'll visit a Turian planet, since they're due for exposure, and maybe somewhere Salarian. Earth too.

My only complaint with Mass Effect 2 is the location size, ME3 needs to be bigger, packed with side quests and interesting dialogue

Aske

Mindlog said:
If you find out let us know. I don't know if that works.

I know you can't back up the ME2 save - only relocate it onto another device - so I'm somewhat nervous about it becoming corrupted. Such a shame you can upload your important clear game data to Bioware. That way it could be linked to your gamertag and applied to any new ME games in the future, and there would be no need to worry about corrupted hard drives or security fears over user backups of game saves. Ugh. Maybe I'll just buy a new HDD and a transfer cable.

EatChildren

mercenar1e said:
My only complaint with Mass Effect 2 is the location size, ME3 needs to be bigger, packed with side quests and interesting dialogue

I disagree. The smaller locations of ME2 allowed for more places to visit. In the end, I'd rather have a wider variety of smaller interesting locations than a few select big ones.

EatChildren

Garcia el Gringo said:
ME3 needs both.

In the ideal world yes, but for budget and time reasons it probably wont be like that.

Even though ME3 will be the end of the trilogy I doubt it will get a budget and development time any bigger than ME2. They'll be forced to go either way or find a comfortable compromise.

Merguson

Banned
In the Shadow Broker DLC,
Liara offers you to take a look at her terminal in her office but when you check it, no data is available. There's got to be more to it right? Seems kind of strange.

megalowho

EatChildren said:
In the ideal world yes, but for budget and time reasons it probably wont be like that.

Even though ME3 will be the end of the trilogy I doubt it will get a budget and development time any bigger than ME2. They'll be forced to go either way or find a comfortable compromise.
I've always dreamed of having an expansive, densely populated city like the kind we see in Assassin's Creed done up in the Mass Effect universe and style. I know it's not that kind of game, but.. a man can dream.

neojubei

megalowho said:
I've always dreamed of having an expansive, densely populated city like the kind we see in Assassin's Creed done up in the Mass Effect universe and style. I know it's not that kind of game, but.. a man can dream.
This is exactly what I want as well mass effect and mass effect 2 are so dead because the people and aliens hardly move or do anything more. Assassins creed 2 towns are the types of towns I want to see in RPGs

EatChildren

Merguson said:
In the Shadow Broker DLC,
Liara offers you to take a look at her terminal in her office but when you check it, no data is available. There's got to be more to it right? Seems kind of strange.

Its there for those who start the LOTSB mission before recruiting Samara and Thane. Instead of talking to Liara she directs you to her office terminal.

pahamrick

So, after completing ME2 for the 4th time, here's everything I really want to see for ME3.

- Add in the citadel locations from ME1, ME2. Don't even need to add a new area for ME3 but I wouldn't mind a new one.

- More random quests on unexplored planets. As much as I loved wandering around on the planets of ME1, I really liked the more detailed missions on the ME2 planets.

- More random squad chatter, like ME1 and Shepard & Liara in LOTSB. One of the things I missed the most in ME2. The whole select a random spot of the current area to get a comment from a squad mate was so lame.

- Bring back the option to skip mini-games on subsequent playthroughs. For the first play I went through and did every mini-game for credits, and mined every planet dry. For everyone since I just used the save editor to boost my credits and minerals. At the very least, give NG+ folks some sort of skip mini-game button.

- Armor customization for squad members. I really hated the outfits for a lot of them.

And the thing that I know is a pipe dream, but still want anyway.

- All squad mates available from ME1 and ME2. I know it'll never happen, due to the ending of ME2. At the very least, let me have my complete squad back from ME1. Minus the obvious one, of course.

All in all, ME2 is still an amazing game but I really don't think I'll end up completing it nearly as often as I did ME1. I think I playing ME1 start to finish 12 times total, because the story felt so epic start to finish.

ME2, it doesn't give me that same sense of urgency that the first did.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
pahamrick said:
- Armor customization for squad members. I really hated the outfits for a lot of them.

I'd just be happy with more types of Armor for Shepard. During a casual playthrough I only found 2 alternative chest pieces, 1 alternative shoulder pad, 1 alternative leg armor, and only 1 helmet option (although I never really wanted to wear the space monocle).

pahamrick

Extollere said:
I'd just be happy with more types of Armor for Shepard. During a casual playthrough I only found 2 alternative chest pieces, 1 alternative shoulder pad, 1 alternative leg armor, and only 1 helmet option (although I never really wanted to wear the space monocle).

Yeah, good point. I kinda cheated out on Shepard for my games. Most of the time I kept the default N7 armor and just tweaked the colors a bit. Most of the armor pieces that I thought looked cool, just didn't have bonuses I liked.

The one thing I forgot to add

- Turn off helmets during cinematic moments. Watching Shepard who is wearing a helmet smooch Liara was really odd. Also, a reason I never used a single bonus / pre-order armor set.

neojubei

pahamrick said:
Yeah, good point. I kinda cheated out on Shepard for my games. Most of the time I kept the default N7 armor and just tweaked the colors a bit. Most of the armor pieces that I thought looked cool, just didn't have bonuses I liked.

The one thing I forgot to add

- Turn off helmets during cinematic moments. Watching Shepard who is wearing a helmet smooch Liara was really odd. Also, a reason I never used a single bonus / pre-order armor set.

The DLC armor was a waste since Shepard could not take off the helment.

Also i like to add, i miss leaving the airdock on the normandy from mass effect 1, it was pretty cool even if it masked the loading time.

valeo

I never changed my armour/armour colour once in the entire game. Can't say I care too much about it.

Just finished it yesterday. Great game but not as good as the first, imo.

kai3345

Banned
pahamrick said:
- All squad mates available from ME1 and ME2. I know it'll never happen, due to the ending of ME2. At the very least, let me have my complete squad back from ME1. Minus the obvious one, of course.
The only "obvious" one would be Liara, who is currently
Tied up being the Shadow Broker

pahamrick

kai3345 said:
The only "obvious" one would be Liara, who is currently
Tied up being the Shadow Broker

By the obvious one, I meant
The one who dies on Virmire. Kaiden or Ashley.
Probably should have made that a bit more clear.

kai3345

Banned
pahamrick said:
By the obvious one, I meant
The one who dies on Virmire. Kaiden or Ashley.
Probably should have made that a bit more clear.
But Wrex can die, so can Garrus and Tali along with the
rest of the ME2 cast,
and all that leaves is Liara.

pahamrick

kai3345 said:
But Wrex can die, so can Garrus and Tali along with the
rest of the ME2 cast,
and all that leaves is Liara.

Hence why I said ALL squad mates and why it was in the pipe dream section. Only the one death is forced, the others are not.

Mindlog

pahamrick said:
Hence why I said ALL squad mates and why it was in the pipe dream section. Only the one death is forced, the others are not.

Way back after the first round of people that beat the game I posted it, but here's my pipe dream solution again. I doubt it will happen, but Bioware did give me a lot of other stuff I asked for :smug:
Squad Respec, Dossiers, Investment Mining and other stuff

ME3 introduces at most 3 new squadmates. Establishing characters takes too much time and there is too much plot to resolve in the final act.
Most of the previous squadmates return.

If you have a ME1/2 save for ME3 most of your current squadmates carry over. Dead squadmates do not return as husks.

If you are new to ME3 you will automatically be paired with squadmates that compliment your class. You are then given a few additional squadmates randomly, by choice or by class. Some squadmates will be dead as governed by the same mechanic. When you complete the game squadmates you played with are permanently unlocked for future playthroughs. This would be similar to how bonus and loyalty powers are currently unlocked.

Biggie Smalls

Sysgen

ME2 is such a design cluster fuck. Let's see, I can investigate right or left. Go left, body laying on the ground, investigate, finish investigating,can't go back to investigate the rest of the area because they just walled it off. Restarting the mission.

squicken

I guess this thread is going to be page after page of black bars.

I thought LotSB was one of the best DLCs I've ever played in any game. When they initially announced it, I was annoyed, b/c I thought that the Shadow Broker was too important to be some trivial side quest.

But when I finally got to him, after the great car chase and the great boss fight, his reveal was fantastic. Menacing as fuck. Wonderful work by Bioware again on its creature designs. Great boss fight with him as well.

Then all the dossiers, reconnected with Liara (I had stayed true), and was back to feeling really good about this franchise.

I can't remember the name of the Asari porn that everyone seemed to buy, but I noticed Grunt picked that up and the Krogan Fornex. It's too bad they released this one now. I'm not going to log back in just to see these new updates.

kai3345

Banned
I think BioWare will go the complete opposite way that everyone will want them to and have a whole cast of newbies, with everyone else being NPCs

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
kai3345 said:
I think BioWare will go the complete opposite way that everyone will want them to and have a whole cast of newbies, with everyone else being NPCs
I will be so sad if they do that. Why the fuck did they have to make it so anyone could die on the suicide mission?!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
kai3345 said:

I'm not sure. The cast they had in ME2 was really strong IMO. Those characters are pretty damn memorable (maybe with the exception of 1 or 2). I imagine that at least those who survived in your ME2 will either make cameos, or become squad members - even if temporary - in the third game.

But yeah, most likely there will be new supporting characters as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom