• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodsent

ergo said:
It all has to do with the businesses selling the game wanting to be more unique, therefore interesting the buyer in getting it at their store.

That makes sense. I would be curious to know what type of monetary incentive retailers give publishers to generate that kind of unique content, and whether it pays off or not for them. I suppose it must if they continue to do it.

GAMEFLY MY GAMEQ

Mass Effect 2
ESRB: Mature
Average: 9.7
X360
Shipped 1/25/2010!!!!!!!!!
Rate This Game:

awesome, now to just wrap up my second ME1 playthrough tonight and I'm all set.

I wonder, being the first person to play this particular disc from Gamefly, will the codes be included? probably not with my luck.

Einbroch

Banned
Does anyone know what transfers over in New Game+?

Level? Resources? Upgrades? Paragon/Renegade?

'Cause if resources and upgrades don't transfer over, my first playthrough is going to be brief.

Ephemeris

Servocicer said:

I wonder, being the first person to play this particular disc from Gamefly, will the codes be included? probably not with my luck.
No codes, just the discs.

cresto

Bloodsent said:
That makes sense. I would be curious to know what type of monetary incentive retailers give publishers to generate that kind of unique content, and whether it pays off or not for them. I suppose it must if they continue to do it.
Yeah, same here. I mean look how hard gamestop is pushing the preorder bonus. Their entire marketing campaign revolves around that armor/gun.

Bloodsent said:
The thing that strikes me as strange is why publishers/developers find it necessary to have different preorder bonuses for each retail outlet. I understand the pokemon "gotta catch em all" mentality, but at some point there has to be a line drawn.
This being a single player game, I don't care much about all these bonuses.

Unfortunately, I usually fall for these things with MMOs and multiplayer games.
I fear D3 or FFXIV bonus CE and items will make me poor. :(

Anyway, I'll be happy with just my Blood Armor for ME2.

Talon

Servocicer said:

If you buy the copy, they'll send you the game's case, which will include the Cerberus Network code and ish.

Einbroch said:
Does anyone know what transfers over in New Game+?

Level? Resources? Upgrades? Paragon/Renegade?

'Cause if resources and upgrades don't transfer over, my first playthrough is going to be brief.

From what I hear, little of that stuff transfers over, but it's encouraged that you play through every single quest since that kind of story stuff does carry over, and frequently.

soldat7

Ironborn said:
so in order to get all bonus DLC items you would have to do the following:
- buy dragon age: origins
- buy mass effect 2 ce
- buy mass effect 2 de
- preorder mass effect 2 at gamestop
- preorder mass effect 2 anywhere else
- buy a shitload of dr. pepper
- buy mass effect galaxy

That's it for me. I might cancel my pre-order at Gamestop since I have the CE coming from Amazon. Ethics and all that.

I'm hoping to see the rest of DLC offered to the masses at some point.

Hawk269

With all the great marketing, the great commercials, the great web space they have bought on various sites....why in the fuck dont we have a Premium Theme for the Xbox Dashboard for Mass Effect 2?

I am so hyped for this game that I had to put up an old Mass Effect 1 Theme on my Dash....at the average price of 240 points for a premium theme, you would think that the money hungry EA would of made one already.

Who knows...maybe we will get a free theme on launch day. But seriously, a theme would of been nice.

Ceebs

If anyone was wondering what the red veins do to your vision while still alive, I got this screenshot on accident earlier.

theMrCravens said:
This being a single player game, I don't care much about all these bonuses.

Unfortunately, I usually fall for these things with MMOs and multiplayer games.
I fear D3 or FFXIV bonus CE and items will make me poor. :(

Anyway, I'll be happy with just my Blood Armor for ME2.

For star trek online I bought 2 copies of the game and the lifetime sub, probably why I cant afford to get all the ME2 bonuses.

I lied earlier, by the time I get home tonight I know I will have ordered the collectors edition...

Hawk269

MidnightRider said:
So they are opening stores at midnight for this?

WOW!

Looks like I will be slipping into the stores to pick up MAG instead. :)

Ummm...Why??? MAG Demo was cool and all...but why come into a ME2 thread to post this?

JambiBum

Quick question. I know if you bring over a character that's a level 50 you start out at level 3 and 60 you're a 5, but what about if you are in between a 50 and 60. Right now I'm a level 55 and not sure if I'll hit 60 with where I'm at on this playthrough (traveling to Ilos now).

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
ergo said:
It all has to do with the businesses selling the game wanting to be more unique, therefore interesting the buyer in getting it at their store.

Seriously, I dont get why this is so hard for people to understand. EA/BioWare give Gamestop the shitty Terminus Gear exclusively and Gamestop dedicates their commercials to it. Its a win win situation. Gamespot gets to say they have something no one else does for the game and EA/BioWare get a ton of "free" tv ads in return.

I dont understand how people can become so stupid and vindictive over this crap. Its bonus content all created for marketing. Its not like they stripped content from the game, nor will this stuff really add anything to the game. Its superfluous junk that retailers want people to think is super important and everyone seems like they were dumb enough to fall for it and are now shitting bricks over.

cresto

Ceebs said:
If anyone was wondering what the red veins do to your vision while still alive, I got this screenshot on accident earlier.

It's really not horrible, it definitely makes you want to find cover pronto. You're still able to see the center where you look 95% of the time anyways. I think it's overkill, but I'm not going to bitch and moan and post shit on their site over it.

I saw the commercial near the end of the Viking/Saints game. I have been on media blackout, so that was a really nice reveal for me (save 4chan ruining the game with spoilers, but it is about the journey, right?). Very long, very well put together trailer. None of that Gamestop jokey crap.

It was also nice because I figured out I had an HD signal coming through my cable this weekend. It was that much more impressive, because my normal channels are a blurry, washed-out mess.

I just got to a very important part of the game and had i not had multiple saves i would have screwed the game up so word to the wise to all gamers
Have multiple saves because story wise you can get screwed heavily

So what happens if I go into Gamestop tomorrow with a regular edition pre-order and INSIST that I surely pre-ordered the Collector's Edition?

What are my chances of success?

Ceebs

ergo said:
It's really not horrible, it definitely makes you want to find cover pronto. You're still able to see the center where you look 95% of the time anyways. I think it's overkill, but I'm not going to bitch and moan and post shit on their site over it.
Yeah, It's not great, but way better than the crap in MW2 that made it impossible to see anything.

hulot

Ironborn said:
jesus fucking christ, are you serious? :lol

so in order to get all bonus DLC items you would have to do the following:
- buy dragon age: origins
- buy mass effect 2 ce
- buy mass effect 2 de
- preorder mass effect 2 at gamestop
- preorder mass effect 2 anywhere else
- buy a shitload of dr. pepper
- buy mass effect galaxy

this is insane, i hope people don't support this crap...fuck, who am i kidding, this is gonna be the business model of the future :(
The only people who would have a problem with this are those with a strong sense of self-entitlement and/or OCD. These are pre-order bonuses and incentives to shop with different retailers and buy new; one could easily play the game without them. It's not as if there's only one set of equipment in the entire game and you'd have to have these in order to enjoy it. I prefer this to paid DLC that is obviously withheld to gain more profit.

That said, I've just installed both discs and am ready to play. I have the CE on order from EA but I'm too impatient to wait since a store nearby had it in stock....

Hawk269

Ultimo hombre said:
Insecurities man. Gotta represnt "the tripple" even at the expense of looking like a douchebag, at all times.

lol...that was good....I have a PS3 as well...not sure what drives people to go into other threads and post stuff like that...but I guess "insecurity" might be it. lol

sagat2036

Alucrid said:
Does anyone know what the bonus is for the iPhone/iPod touch game?

From the free dlc codes that were avaiable for awhile.. id say the sniper rifle is the bonus. Armor is pre-order, head gear is dr.pepper, and nomandy was day 1 dlc. Its the only item never mentioned. Thats my guess.

Ephemeris

NightHawk17 said:
I just got to a very important part of the game and had i not had multiple saves i would have screwed the game up so word to the wise to all gamers

That's how I roll anyways.:D

Tylahedras said:
I love Bioware, but this is just stupid.

http://kotaku.com/5456070/mass-effect-2-has-some-fancy-disc+swapping-action

Seriously why the hell would you make us change discs twice when its just 2 discs and even if I install it you STILL have to change discs wtf?

Oh well, I still want your babies Bioware, we'll just have to send them to school on the short bus I guess.
I've found the first disc swap has introduced itself at the oddest time. I haven't made it to the second yet.

Bloodsent

Enduin said:
Seriously, I dont get why this is so hard for people to understand. EA/BioWare give Gamestop the shitty Terminus Gear exclusively and Gamestop dedicates their commercials to it. Its a win win situation. Gamespot gets to say they have something no one else does for the game and EA/BioWare get a ton of "free" tv ads in return.

I dont understand how people can become so stupid and vindictive over this crap. Its bonus content all created for marketing. Its not like they stripped content from the game, nor will this stuff really add anything to the game. Its superfluous junk that retailers want people to think is super important and everyone seems like they were dumb enough to fall for it and are now shitting bricks over.

I don't think people are getting upset over the creation or existence of preorder bonus content as a concept, but more the volume of unique content across retailers for all those pokemon collectors out there.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Amazon shipped both of my regular and CE copyz using UPS overnight earlier today

I guess I ll just ebay the regular to make my cost of CE down to $30.

EDIT: btw amazone is awesome since I didnt choose the release day delivery for any of those

punkypine

NightHawk17 said:

man up and accept your decisions!

Ironborn

Banned
hulot said:
The only people who would have a problem with this are those with a strong sense of self-entitlement and/or OCD. These are pre-order bonuses and incentives to shop with different retailers and buy new; one could easily play the game without them. It's not as if there's only one set of equipment in the entire game and you'd have to have these in order to enjoy it. I prefer this to paid DLC that is obviously withheld to gain more profit.

That said, I've just installed both discs and am ready to play. I have the CE on order from EA but I'm too impatient to wait since a store nearby had it in stock....
yeah, i have OCD, so what?:D
the hellfire armor looks badass, and so does the singularity gun
can you blame me if i want to try those fuckers out?
it's just stupid that different retailers have different bonuses
i understand bonuses for CEs or preordering, but different bonuses for the digital edition or different stores, that's where i draw the line between "incentive to preorder" and "wallet rape"

Hawk269

The Lamonster said:
So what happens if I go into Gamestop tomorrow with a regular edition pre-order and INSIST that I surely pre-ordered the Collector's Edition?

lol..I am trying something close. Your chances however are really good "IF" they received extra copies of the CE. I would recommend you go early or if you are going to the mid-night event, go there right now and ask about it. I know the Manager at my local GS and he only has 5 CE on reserve, but he has not received them yet..they are getting them today. He said if he has an extra, I can get it...but as of 10:37 PST, he has not received them yet.

So for you, depending on where you live, I would go to the store and ask to speak to a manager, tell him you swore (yeah a little white lie) that you asked to reserve the CE....and you realized it was the regular..then ask if they have an extra can you please get it. If they have extra, I see no reason why they would not do it for you.

So free DLCs work. FUCK YEAH!!! :D

Ceebs said:

This shittacular UI element better get patched.

hulot

Ironborn said:
yeah, i have OCD, so what?:D
the hellfire armor looks badass, and so does the singularity gun
can you blame me if i want to try those fuckers out?
I don't. I should know, I caved and bought the game twice and got a code off ebay :lol

hulot said:

Do you know if there is another mini black hole weapon in the game? Or an organic weapon like the CE one?

When you spend $60+ on something is it too much to expect you can try everything out in a game even if its just a different weapon? Can you imagine Halo if they removed the laser sword and made it a preorder only bonus?

I personally don't see why we can't have access to everything on the disc that is sitting in our machines, if they made it so people who ordered from certain places got a timed exclusive on certain items I would not care but thats not the way it is.

Edit: Then im confused because of your next post and don't know what to think :lol

"I don't. I should know, I caved and bought the game twice and got a code off ebay"

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Bloodsent said:
I don't think people are getting upset over the creation or existence of preorder bonus content as a concept, but more the volume of unique content across retailers for all those pokemon collectors out there.

Well honestly Im glad this isnt DAO cause that had probably 20 pieces of bonus content across 5-8 retailers. In the end though quantity shouldnt matter because its all superfluous freebies that have no bearing on the actual game itself. I mean its not even like you can use it all at once, at most you can use like two items together.

Ephemeris

Hawk269 said:
lol..I am trying something close. Your chances however are really good "IF" they received extra copies of the CE. I would recommend you go early or if you are going to the mid-night event, go there right now and ask about it. I know the Manager at my local GS and he only has 5 CE on reserve, but he has not received them yet..they are getting them today. He said if he has an extra, I can get it...but as of 10:37 PST, he has not received them yet.

So for you, depending on where you live, I would go to the store and ask to speak to a manager, tell him you swore (yeah a little white lie) that you asked to reserve the CE....and you realized it was the regular..then ask if they have an extra can you please get it. If they have extra, I see no reason why they would not do it for you.

If they get extra copies, and you reserved/paid in full, simply ask for a refund and buy the CE. Get your preorder bonus first though :lol

If there are no extras, then you have to be sneaky and hope for the best.

Dan Yo

Banned
Bloodsent said:
Well to be honest, I can't think of another publisher that abuses this crap worse than EA. Now I won't even usually buy an EA game if I've missed the launch or didn't have time to pre-order. I was recently thinking of buying Dragon Age but then I thought of all the things I might've missed out on already and it makes me pause before doing so.

In some cases these bonuses actually screw with the balance of the game. I recall Dead Space having a pre-order bonus with some high level armor. However, once you have DLed and equipped the armor, you cannot use any other suit in the game. In fact the whole aspect of suit progression is lost at that point. I wonder if Dead Space's developers really wanted something like that considering they had obviously developed this whole system of suit progression for a reason.

Recently Ubisoft has been doing the same thing and I refuse to buy Assassin's Creed 2 until I see that all missions and maps are available to me upon playing the game for the first time. Unfortunately at this point it looks like all the pre-order/collector's edition levels are not going to be available at any other point again (was the case with Batman: Arkham Asylum as well), so I think unless some GS employee gives me a code, I won't ever play that game.

The worst part about this stuff is that they make it virtually impossible to grab again anywhere else at anytime. Completely turns me off from certain games and now certain publishers as well.

rhino4evr

Servocicer said:

my copy shipped too

stupei

It's raining so hard my jeans were totally soaked through and I just actually poured water from my shoe into the bath tub, but I have the game in my hand.

Um. I was seriously going to finish my run through of ME1 first, but I think that maybe I am too weak. I'm pretty sure I am.

Hawk269

Ephemeris said:
If they get extra copies, and you reserved/paid in full, simply ask for a refund and buy the CE. Get your preorder bonus first though :lol

If there are no extras, then you have to be sneaky and hope for the best.

However, if you wait till the midnight launch and you are number 20 in line and they only have a "few" extra CE, you may be screwed. That is why I suggest he go NOW to ask to upgrade...this way he ensures he get's it.

The Lamonster said:

Well when I went to pick up the original Mass Effect they had extra CE's and we're letting people "upgrade" as long as they had copies. I'm hoping the same thing happens with Mass Effect 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom