• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay i just finished all of the dlc which is making me want to go back and play it for the achievements i never got so of course i want to go in using a strategy guide. can anyone point me to one i can trust?

EatChildren said:
To be fair, the Shadow Broker we fight wasn't the original Shadow Broker, and had instead killed him/her and took his place. Who knows what his plans were.
true, but he did rule for 60 years or something. And was smart enough to 'poison' the former SB's organization from the inside. he can't have been much of a moron, but seems barely more in control than a krogan :)

terrdactycalsrock said:
okay i just finished all of the dlc which is making me want to go back and play it for the achievements i never got so of course i want to go in using a strategy guide. can anyone point me to one i can trust?
I'm not sure why you think you need a strategy guide? The achievements in this game aren't that difficult to get, especially compared to the first game.

im replaying the game as a sentail and im aboustley in love with all of my powers. except cryoblast i havent unlocked it but i rembear not liking it from a previous play through

Denzar

Bioware has a massively daunting task creating ME3.

What I'm going to talk about might be spoilerish:

If all your squad members survived will some of them return? If none survived (including shepard) will they be replaced with completely different squad members?

Either way, I am afraid BioWare were/are setting themselves up to disappoint.

Taking into account every decision, every possible outcome is work for the insane. Entire parts of the story of ME3 can be radically different depending on what choices you made in the previous two games.
I can't even begin to think of how they can solve this problem. Unless they distance themselves from the events of ME 1 & 2 and start ME3's story in the far flung future from a different perspective. But that would be creating a disconnection in a video game that is a very personal experience.

There is only one way I see them not disappointing, and that is when they do not compromise.

It seems like the only way.

Man, if they can pull it off...

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Deepack said:
There is only one way I see them not disappointing, and that is when they do not compromise.

It seems like the only way.

Man, if they can pull it off...

Eh. Most of ME1's decisions were reduced to a trivialized level of a "thank you" or "hate you" email based on your choices. I'm not really holding my breath at this point in time.

And due to the events at the end of ME2,
it's a high probability that none of the current squadmates will make it back save for cameos in the third game.

The only real things I see being "continued" are the major plot points, like
Blowing up the collector base or not
, which will probably tie into the whole paragon renegade fight that's been going on about
acquiring allies/technology. If you were a paragon, you saved the rachni but blew up the base, if you were a renegade, you did the opposite, etc. Bioware's been balancing out Humanity's chances at defeating the reapers.

Denzar

Metroidvania said:
Eh. Most of ME1's decisions were reduced to a trivialized level of a "thank you" or "hate you" email based on your choices. I'm not really holding my breath at this point in time.

And due to the events at the end of ME2,
it's a high probability that none of the current squadmates will make it back save for cameos in the third game.

The only real things I see being "continued" are the major plot points, like
Blowing up the collector base or not
, which will probably tie into the whole paragon renegade fight that's been going on about
acquiring allies/technology. If you were a paragon, you saved the rachni but blew up the base, if you were a renegade, you did the opposite, etc. Bioware's been balancing out Humanity's chances at defeating the reapers.

Wel, as I said, I would find that disappointing.

Mindlog

terrdactycalsrock said:

They aren't really necesary, but the wiki offers some basic strategies.

Damn Shadow Broker is tempting me to buy all the other DLC now. I picked up Kasumi. Did I miss something or did they make me decide whether or not to destroy the item before I know the information? (JIC Kasuminon- spoiler)
What was in the graybox secret
?

The Firepower pack and the Kasumi SMG reminded me how much the Collectors' Edition stuff sucked. I used the rifle and armor a lot on my first playthrough. I haven't used either extensively since that first playthrough.

Pakkidis

I'm about to play ME2 for my first time. I played the demo and decided that infiltrator was my favorite class. Any non spoiler tips I should know before beginning?

I also have an ME1 vanguard character, is it worth importing, I can't even remember all the decisions I made.

gdt

Pakkidis said:
I'm about to play ME2 for my first time. I played the demo and decided that infiltrator was my favorite class. Any non spoiler tips I should know before beginning?

I also have an ME1 vanguard character, is it worth importing, I can't even remember all the decisions I made.

It's absolutely worth importing.

Mindlog

It's worth importing even if you don't remember your decisions.

Nothing much to Infiltrator. Just get assassination cloak and bide your time until you get the Widow. When the choice comes to take the Widow, take the Widow. Widow.

General sort of tip: There are a lot of fights (especially arena fights) where going into cover is a bad idea. Stand behind cover -> Cloak -> Move near next cover -> Headshot -> Get behind, but not in cover.

My 'main' Sheppard is an Infiltrator, but I'm fairly certain that Vanguard is my favorite class now. Insanity Vanguard is a lot of fun. You examine the battlefield for a second and make your choice. You either sit back for a little bit spamming powers and taking potshots or you find your path. You then proceed to charge around the battlefield shotgunning and elbowing all takers. You're frequently close to death, but 9/10 times the correct solution is to charge again.

54-46!

Just finished Shadow Broker, good stuff! :D

Question: I romanced Liara in ME1 but no one in ME2,
do you still get the romantic part of this DLC even if you romanced someone else in ME2?

kai3345

Banned
54-46! said:
Just finished Shadow Broker, good stuff! :D

Question: I romanced Liara in ME1 but no one in ME2,
do you still get the romantic part of this DLC even if you romanced someone else in ME2?
Yes

Just curious, I know I'm really late on this, but is there any way to get the Dr. Pepper DLC armor? Apparently these codes worked before:
CBEEAAA41NWH
CBEEAAAE4L9N
CBEEAAAFQG9J
CBEEAAAE98ZV
but it seems that they've expired.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Pakkidis said:

Might as well import. You'll be given the option to change your class so you wont be forced to stick with Vanguard.

FrankT

Man playing through ME1 again right after playing through ME2 is tough. It sometimes hard to keep going because of the level of polish differences as well as the smoother interface. With that said the storyline is great, but the leap between these two games I would say is up there with some of the most significant we have seen this gen.

MarshMellow96 said:
Just wondering - do any of you guys get pissed off by the invisible walls in the game? :lol

No, can't say I even noticed enough for it to register. Maybe you would like a nice open world 3rd person shooter?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MarshMellow96 said:
Just wondering - do any of you guys get pissed off by the invisible walls in the game? :lol

No, but I did hate the invisible lifts.

dankir

Just beat Lair of the Shadow Broker. This was even better than the Overlord DLC. Bioware has seriously stepped their game up.

Fucking fantastic..!!!

One of the coolest parts was the Shadow Brokers ship, the design of the hull, the lightening environment was all fucking sick.

I was surprised that he was a completely new race, I originally thought he was a really fat salarian, so kudos to them for keeping it original

YYYYYYAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH

All the information the the Shadow Broker had one your squadmates and everybody you've met in the ME universe was also extra cool!

Also the video of the Krogan punching that reporter brought back great memories of me nailing that bitch too :)

Can you sex up Liara? In my game she came into my room, chatted a bit and then bounced! Just like all the women in my life :(

lol

IoCaster

dankir said:
Can you sex up Liara? In my game she came into my room, chatted a bit and then bounced! Just like all the women in my life :(

You can continue, rekindle or end a relationship, but only if you romanced Liara in ME. You can't start a romance with her in LotSB. Edit: A more direct answer to your question, yes you get to feel her up and then do a fade to black sex scene before she leaves.

Great mission and I'm happy to see the writers starting to get the story back on track leading into ME3. Some of the funny references to ME and the banter between Shep and Liara was really well done. Great extras with the dossiers, vids, resources and squad respec in the SB base added enough value to make it worth the cost for me. The boss fights and skycar chase were tons of fun. I really wish there had been some way to avoid
having to kill the Asari Spectre.
. I'm hoping for some Ash/Kaiden bridging DLC but I doubt it's going to happen. Oh well, good stuff and if they keep this level of quality with the rest of the DLC I'll be back aboard the hype train for ME3.

Mutanthands said:
Theres a video of Matriarch Aethyta (the bartender in Eternity on Illium) looking longingly at a picture of Liara over a drink. When she tells you her life story after you take care of the Conrad Verner situation, she mentions that she has a pureblood child, and got laughed off Thessia for her militant views. Makes sense that the Shadow Broker would be monitoring her, as she's the mom of one of his enemies. Might serve as leverage in the future.

I'm hoping that she's a squad member in ME3. She seems like she would be up for a fight. Plus, she voiced by Claudia Black!
What? Are you saying the bartender at Eternity is Liara's mom? Matriarch Benezia was Liara's mom...

valeo

Dresden said:
That doesn't sound appealing at all.

I guess you hated one-shotting almost every enemy on Insanity. Shotguns do double damage when you're in melee range. One Eviscerator shot to the chest=blown shield/armor and maybe a quarter health left. That's when you punch them.

But how often are you in melee range? Most of the game is mid to long range fights because the combat system is so dependent on cover. Charge gets you close but then you usually die because you're in the middle of about 5 or 6.

Eh, just found SMG easier. Just saying that I found ME1 a lot different in that regard because I basically used a shotty all game.

Aske

Jtyettis said:
Man playing through ME1 again right after playing through ME2 is tough. It sometimes hard to keep going because of the level of polish differences as well as the smoother interface. With that said the storyline is great, but the leap between these two games I would say is up there with some of the most significant we have seen this gen.

I like both games almost equally, but ME1 has some significant strengths over ME2 despite the lack of polish and combat refinement. I'm replaying ME1 right now, and I love the freedom of the Mako sections. Without them, ME2 feels pretty claustrophobic by comparison. If the damn vehicle controlled a little better people wouldn't have complained about the exploration so much. Driving around a fairly basic looking world checking out points of interest doesn't have to be a chore if you don't make your vehicle a floaty piece of junk that can barely traverse the undulations of the landscape. I think one of ME2's biggest flaws is throwing the baby out with the bathwater and removing planet exploration altogether in favour of planet scanning, which is the only really awful gameplay element in the whole franchise.

ME2's combat is generally much improved, but I love being able to use multiple powers with individual cooldowns in ME1, and do miss that in the second game. I also much prefer the ME1 levelling system. Hated the stripped down, simplified progression system of ME2, and the awful chapter clear screen which bestowed points. It felt so 'gamey' and took me out of the experience. ME1 felt much more immersive and much more seamless. Elevators be damned; they're a hell of a lot better than loading screens.

ME2 benefits enormously from significant polish and focus. Every story mission is unique and interesting, the game boasts far more of them, and the little things dropped from ME1 (like being able to talk to your team during missions, freedom to travel without worrying about fuel etc) are made up for by the upgrade to the major elements of the game as a whole. That said, the little things are enough of a reason for me to enjoy replaying ME1, and I doubt I'll ever replay ME2 without running my character through ME1 first.

I hope they reach more of a middle ground with ME3. Don't remind me I'm playing a game at the end of every mission. Mask as many loading screens as possible. Let me level up little and often, and earn experience for every action. Give me back the sense of freedom, both on less important side quest planets and when travelling throughout a star system. No more fuel or tedious scanning. And let me interact with my team during missions. Such a little thing, but it felt so weird not to be able to do it.

valeo said:
But how often are you in melee range? Most of the game is mid to long range fights because the combat system is so dependent on cover. Charge gets you close but then you usually die because you're in the middle of about 5 or 6.
Well that really just depends on how you approach the combat and how you use Charge. Properly utilizing Charge is really dependent on positioning and who you Charge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1wqM2Rswgo
Don't watch unless you've beaten the game and mute if you hate Coheed and Cambria.

Not gonna tell you how to play your game but it seems kinda pointless to play a Vanguard if you're not gonna use Charge.

Fitz

Aske said:

Great post, very similar to my own feelings in that I hope Bioware can find a nice middle ground for ME3. Although your mention of loading screens reminded me of something that people might not be aware of which I thought I'd mention. The loading screens generally take longer than they need to due to having to actually run the length of the loading cutscreen, on the PC version you can replace these with a generic "ME2" logo loading screen which, for me at least, cuts all loadtimes down to about half a second. I found this a little while back so it doesn't have the replacement for the new loading screens for Firewalker + Overlord, and I guess LotSB though I haven't bought that yet. Having said that, as all the screens are the same, I suppose you could just copy one of these and rename it to whatever the new ones are called.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3443492&postcount=149

Aske

Colkate said:
Great post, very similar to my own feelings in that I hope Bioware can find a nice middle ground for ME3. Although your mention of loading screens reminded me of something that people might not be aware of which I thought I'd mention. The loading screens generally take longer than they need to due to having to actually run the length of the loading cutscreen, on the PC version you can replace these with a generic "ME2" logo loading screen which, for me at least, cuts all loadtimes down to about half a second.

That adds insult to injury. I play on the 360, and it would be really nice if Bioware had made that an official option. I get that the load screens are sort-of-cutscenes depicting whatever event is taking place, but unlike the elevators, they don't pass for anything besides loading screens. They may as well be progress bars. I'll take solace in the fact that the 360 version probably wouldn't benefit as much as the PC version (depending on your rig) from skippable load screens. But damn...very bad bit of game design.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Aske said:
That adds insult to injury. I play on the 360, and it would be really nice if Bioware had made that an official option. I get that the load screens are sort-of-cutscenes depicting whatever event is taking place, but unlike the elevators, they don't pass for anything besides loading screens. They may as well be progress bars. I'll take solace in the fact that the 360 version probably wouldn't benefit as much as the PC version (depending on your rig) from skippable load screens. But damn...very bad bit of game design.
The load screens were most likely built with the Xbox load times in mind.

Shinjitsu

Banned
valeo said:

Eh, just found SMG easier. Just saying that I found ME1 a lot different in that regard because I basically used a shotty all game.

Shotguns had crazy range in ME1 when your skills were high.

IoCaster

Colkate said:
I found this a little while back so it doesn't have the replacement for the new loading screens for Firewalker + Overlord, and I guess LotSB though I haven't bought that yet. Having said that, as all the screens are the same, I suppose you could just copy one of these and rename it to whatever the new ones are called.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3443492&postcount=149

Thank you very much for the linkage. It works great and I'm not really sure why I didn't think about doing something like this myself. I get on average less than 3 sec loads now. Très chic. :D

Jinaar

For the first time ever, I placed ME2 into my 360 tray and went at it Sunday morning. I ended around 10pm yesterday night. This game is pretty much amazing.

And girl Sherpard.... what a classy dame, I'm either tits up drunk, spinning around on the dance floor or trying to seduce half my crew members, regardless of sexual orientation. I can see how women find things liberating in life.

Anyways, off to get two more crew mates and pass this game. Then I may go straight back into ME1 again, pass that as my original ME1 saved game is on some hard drive in Australia when I passed it the first time, get a finished ME1 save, then do ME2 again :) as Paragon dick.

Also, I'm playing Vanguard. I just found out Charge charges anywhere. The first time I Charged from a top floor advantage point to the main floor, I was shocked. I was under the assumption I required line of sight horizontally for it to work correctly. Nope. Good to know.

Btw, for those lazy and won't read the manual, I have found the tool tips to be a great resource of information. :) I won't explain the oh so many things I didn't know my controller was capable of.

Top 10 of this year hands down. I will buy the DLC.

Dark Stalkers said:
He's saying that Aethyta is Liara's dad.

Yeah, I meant dad. Though...

51gs0TbcY2L__BO2204203200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-clickTopRight35-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I edited the post in question to avoid further confusion.

Mindlog

valeo said:

A good charge will get you into a survivable 1 on 1 situation most of the time. On my first Vanguard playthrough I didn't understand this and I died just about every time I charged. Now I can charge with near impunity on insanity. Charge + Shotgun + Insanity is high risk and high reward. Once you get the hang of it you can clear out an area wayyyy faster than you could with an smg.

Aske said:
ME2's combat is generally much improved, but I love being able to use multiple powers with individual cooldowns in ME1, and do miss that in the second game. I also much prefer the ME1 levelling system. Hated the stripped down, simplified progression system of ME2, and the awful chapter clear screen which bestowed points. It felt so 'gamey' and took me out of the experience. ME1 felt much more immersive and much more seamless. Elevators be damned; they're a hell of a lot better than loading screens.

I hope they reach more of a middle ground with ME3. Don't remind me I'm playing a game at the end of every mission. Mask as many loading screens as possible.

It may be weird, but I find that the AARs immerse me more in an RPG compared to traditional leveling. Traditional RPG grind mechanics scream, 'That's a game!,' to me. An AAR is something I'd expect to see in that situation. It would be better if the AARs were more formal with their presentation instead of polished (drop TIM's picture to start.) Maybe they could let Sheppard make notes or respond to the AAR according to his alignment.

I'm also not a fan of ME1's biotic/tech system. It didn't make sense within the Mass Effect universe. It also simplified gameplay too much, "If power = cool then cast." A Mass Effect 2 Vanguard wouldn't be challenging if I could just keep casting barrier while charging.

ME's heat system was accidental gold. Dropping that really sucked.

I have no complaints with elevators or the Mako. I appreciated both elements in the first game. Mako 2 was fun the first time I tried it out. However, that novelty has worn off and I'd rather not have it in the next game. There is no reward for reaching the skybox. There's no skill in using it at all. If it comes back please include a secondary direct fire option that does MUCH more damage. Bring some skill back into the equation. As it is now I drop my difficulty from insanity to casual just to get through the missions faster.

HUGE SPOILER LINK IN NEXT BLOCK. Do not click unless you have beaten the game.

Stasis is incredibly effective in every situation.
*ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No5bEPMrKis
Stasis on the LotSB boss first boss fight kills all the magic.

*I'm not kidding. End game spoiler.

Mindlog said:

:lol wow

Rubezh

Mindlog said:

That looks really strange to me. Is that an intentional effect?
I'm talking about the movement of the boss. When Statis is used, the boss just morphs into a totally different position, almost like a bug.

CartridgeBlower said:
What's considered the longest DLC? Overlord?

I want to buy one and would like to get some time out of it, so I'm curious.
Screw length, get Shadow Broker it is a crucial part in the Mass Effect Universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom