• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reich said:
Thanks, hoe difficult it ll be ?

There are a couple annoying moments, that can get harsh, but Insanity is not hard at all, I usually don't finish games in hard, but with ME I could without much problems. Just always take a equilibrated group.

Even with some classes it can get easier.

That said, if you plan to do more than a single playthrough, you might want to try first Very Hard, so you can know how the game works and made Insanity more easier, but you'll be fine either way.

Extollere said:
My post, or the video ad? :lol

lol, the video ad. I have a bad habit of not taking the time to notice details or take in the scenery and I regret it every time. Can't help it though, it's just how I play without thinking about it

Dresden

Assault Sentinel+Shotgun=fun. I haven't died once since the collector ship on Insanity.

About halfway through the Lair DLC. This is good stuff.

tokkun

Vigilant Walrus said:
Looking at all these reviews for the DLCs for both ME2 and DAO, I am surprised to see that the difference here is that Dragon Age DLC has a pretty bad reputation while ME2 has a great reputation.

I mean.. DAO even had a full blown expansion that had mixed reactions. DAO itself was received great. I would say great in context, of that it was an old school RPG, and it had that against itself.

I know we can't compare development studios and such, but with DA2 coming out so soon, I am wondering if Bioware just put more effort into ME2.

There are basically two things at play here:

First, the Shadow Broker DLC obviously had a much high budget than Witch Hunt. Witch Hunt re-used environments from the original game and had very little new content. Shadow Broker had new environments, including one that is among the most impressive in the whole game. It also had a bunch of bonus content.

Second, the nature of Dragon Age makes it less fun to play expansions and DLC. A large part of DA's appeal comes from building your characters. The game becomes boring once you reach high levels because your characters are already powerhouses and there are diminishing returns with each level you gain. The battles are also not very well balanced for high-level characters because mages become so powerful. Once you have a high amount of mana and a large number of spells, you can just rotate through them and dominate the battlefield. Blood Wound, Blood Control, Mass Paralysis, Sleep + Waking Nightmare, Crushing Prison, and repeat.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Gryphter said:
lol, the video ad. I have a bad habit of not taking the time to notice details or take in the scenery and I regret it every time. Can't help it though, it's just how I play without thinking about it

It's on a huge screen playing inside one of the rooms after the chase. As long as you step into the room you can't miss it.

I've never felt bothered to stop and watch the Asari stripper girls in the clubs, but for some reason this video was totally hypnotic. Was going through my dreams last night. GODDAMNIT BIOWARE!!

Dresden

Haha, just finished the DLC. Damn, that was nice. I also liked how a part of it was a deliberate homage to the awesome Citadel section in ME1. Reading the dossiers at the end alone made it worth it... Jacob is the token black guy indeed. :lol

Also ended up banging Liara. It's that stupid voice. It makes even squid monsters attractive.

X-Frame

Shit!

Help guys ..

Just finished the Shadow Broker DLC and
I accidentally chose the "next time" option when Shepard offered to go back to the Normandy for drinks. I was thinking it was basically just to allow me to roam around the place longer but now I can't initiate that anymore? Do I have to leave the ship and then go back or am I shit out of luck unless I re-do the mission again on another account?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Dresden said:
Haha, just finished the DLC. Damn, that was nice. I also liked how a part of it was a deliberate homage to the awesome Citadel section in ME1. Reading the dossiers at the end alone made it worth it... Jacob is the token black guy indeed. :lol

Also ended up banging Liara. It's that stupid voice. It makes even squid monsters attractive.

Sigh Jacob needs more love.

X-Frame said:
Shit!

Help guys ..

Just finished the Shadow Broker DLC and
I accidentally chose the "next time" option when Shepard offered to go back to the Normandy for drinks. I was thinking it was basically just to allow me to roam around the place longer but now I can't initiate that anymore? Do I have to leave the ship and then go back or am I shit out of luck unless I re-do the mission again on another account?
You're fine. Leave and come back, then talk to Liara again.

X-Frame

Thanks!

And the
videos the SB has on everyone are in a side-room? Because I walked around the main control room several times and didn't see a video station ...

hermit7

X-Frame said:
Thanks!

And the
videos the SB has on everyone are in a side-room? Because I walked around the main control room several times and didn't see a video station ...

They are in another room past Liara.
On the left of Feron

X-Frame said:
Thanks!

And the
Go up the stairs to the side, and there is a door directly behind Liara on that upper deck.

X-Frame

Thanks everyone!

Now I need to start deciding how I want to start preparing for ME3. If I want to start making "perfect" save files from ME1 and ME2 to have once ME3 hits .. or wait until ME3 comes out and then go back and tailor my older game files to how I know ME3 will be.

I know it would take forever, but I really want complete saves of Paragon Male and FemShep, and a Renegade Male and FemShep - for both ME1 and ME2. Lol.

I have some now but a lot I didn't complete everything I wanted to -- especially in ME1 where a lot of the side quests I didn't really find interesting .. or they were Mako-hell.

JohngPR

So as far as DLC is concerned...is there a chronologically order to them, or can you play them in any order? Just curious because I want to play the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC.

Wallach

JohngPR said:
So as far as DLC is concerned...is there a chronologically order to them, or can you play them in any order? Just curious because I want to play the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC.

Technically there isn't really any proper order to them. I think they designed LotSB with the mindset that it would typically be done after the main storyline is done. Then again by doing so you essentially get much less out of the gameplay benefits that come with completing it.

The first time I did LotSB it was on my post-game Infiltrator, but for all my other careers I'll be doing it pretty early on for that reason alone.

X-Frame

Wallach said:
Technically there isn't really any proper order to them. I think they designed LotSB with the mindset that it would typically be done after the main storyline is done. Then again by doing so you essentially get much less out of the gameplay benefits that come with completing it.

The first time I did LotSB it was on my post-game Infiltrator, but for all my other careers I'll be doing it pretty early on for that reason alone.

I did mine on a save where I was about half-finished with the game - so Liara and Shep spoke about Horizon and the imminent mission through the Omega 4 Relay .. it was a lot of dialogue too (in Shep's cabin BTW).

I'm curious how it's different once I play this again on a save file where I beat the game ..

JohngPR

Wallach said:

I'd be doing it after one playthrough so I guess I'd miss out.

Then again, I have two playthroughs. One that's mine, and one that I only play with my wife. My wife isn't really into games, but she loves the Mass Effect series. I play the game play segments and she decides the dialogue. ;)

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
JohngPR said:
My wife isn't really into games, but she loves the Mass Effect series. I play the game play segments and she decides the dialogue. ;)

LMAO, quite funny - given that me and my wife do the exact same thing. Because of her I ended up romancing Tali, ah well. Alien has some booty at least.

Extollere said:
LMAO, quite funny - given that me and my wife do the exact same thing. Because of her I ended up romancing Tali, ah well. Alien has some booty at least.

Join the party. My wife and I did the same thing for ME1. Only she likes to play in Japanese, so I had to track down a NTSC-J 360 on the cheap when she obtained a copy of the game and we found out it was region locked. :(

My wife was having nothing to do with the romances, though.

We've been eagarly awaiting the announcement of ME2 in Japan (announced last week for a winter release, thank god).

X-Frame

I think I'm going to buy the Firepower DLC. The weapons all seem really cool.

Still didn't get Overlord, but not sure I really want to.

Rufus

X-Frame said:

Still didn't get Overlord, but not sure I really want to.
As long as you get Shadowbroker you won't miss anything critical.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Finished Overlord this past weekend (liked it more than the ME1 DLC, and every other ME2 DLC so far), now it's just Shadow Broker and I can put this game down... till the next DLC of course. (Is Shadow Broker the last DLC?)

Quick question... and I apologize in advance if it's been asked before... I played through the rest of the game on Normal difficulty. If I change the difficulty before talking to Liara and starting the mission, is it possible to get the achievement for beating the DLC on hard mode?

Pakkidis

I got a used ME2 copy. I believe I'm near the end of the game. I don't have any dlc yet, just playing the vanilla version. This is easily one of the best games this generation except for the god awful planet scanning. How did this concept pass early stages of development?

I don't suppose someone has an extra cerberus network code they can give me? :)

Wallach

Pakkidis said:
I got a used ME2 copy. I believe I'm near the end of the game. I don't have any dlc yet, just playing the vanilla version. This is easily one of the best games this generation except for the god awful planet scanning. How did this concept pass early stages of development?

I don't suppose someone has an extra cerberus network code they can give me? :)

It may be too late since you are already near the end but what they aren't real great about communicating is that you shouldn't really be planet scanning unless you actually have an upgrade you need to buy. You literally can't do anything else with minerals except burn them as fuel if you run out between depots. Don't bother stockpiling them whatsoever.

Pakkidis

Wallach said:
It may be too late since you are already near the end but what they aren't real great about communicating is that you shouldn't really be planet scanning unless you actually have an upgrade you need to buy. You literally can't do anything else with minerals except burn them as fuel if you run out between depots. Don't bother stockpiling them whatsoever.

Thanks, sadly I learned this lesson a little late as I have hordes of extra minerals. I'm not even upgrading everything either, just what I see is good for my party. Next play through will be different.

Myomoto

I always just used to quickly tap the 'scan' button while rolling the cursor across the planets. You can cover the surface of a planet 3 times as fast as normal, and you don't miss out on where the minerals are.

Jinaar

Just finished the game for the first time, took 32hrs, completed Shadow Broker and the Kasumi DLC just before finishing it too. Level 28, so close to 30. Played as Vanguard. Uber powerful. Paragon.

And I banged Garrus. Female Shepard is remarkable. I had to tell Jacob to fuck off after I took him to the brink. I actually felt bad to kick him in the nuts. Thankfully he didn't let the team down in the last mission.

After REACH and before Castlevania Lords of Shadow, I hope to get ME1 and play that again, then go into a speed run of Renegade style Shepard ME2.

The game was absolutely a pleasure to play.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
So I was really hankering for some more Mass Effect, and I picked up the first game. I ended up not liking it within the first hour. I know that's not nearly enough time to settle into the changes, but the combat, shooting, and interface is so clunky that I don't want to bother getting used to it. I just read up on the story in the ME wiki though, so no need to play the game to find out what happens. Instead I got Kasumi and played through it. Thought it was pretty good, especially the music. Going to try Overlord, and then start a new game as a female.

Mutanthands said:
We've been eagarly awaiting the announcement of ME2 in Japan (announced last week for a winter release, thank god).

I'm curious how the game will do in Japan. I wonder how receptive to Western Sci-Fi the Japanese consumer base is. For some reason I always assume that they will like things Halo, or Starcraft, then surprise myself when those kinds of titles don't sell very well. Maybe because the lead character isn't also a guitarist in a space band with feathered hair and some kind of emotional complex.

X-Frame said:

The Firepower pack is great. I recommend it. It takes a little getting used to, but the new pistol is amazing. The geth shotgun is also really cool because it can be charged up and released. This is fun after warping in as a Vanguard and then letting one rip out the barrel point blank.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
X-Frame said:

Firepower is a must buy.

I think the Aegis Pack is also, because of the huge overall armor bonuses.

Headshot Damage: +5%
Weapon Damage: +11%
Shield Strength: +25%
Melee Damage: +30%
Hvy. Weapon Cap.: +5%

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Extollere said:
The Firepower pack is great. I recommend it. It takes a little getting used to, but the new pistol is amazing. The geth shotgun is also really cool because it can be charged up and released. This is fun after warping in as a Vanguard and then letting one rip out the barrel point blank.

Yeah, the Phallanx pistol rocks. Its so easy to drop bad dudes and it sounds so meaty. Its the desert eagle of the pistols.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I loved the firepower pack too. On replay my Vanguard will role exclusively with the Phalanx Pistol and Geth shottie. I didn't realize you could charge the shottie either! I only had the weapons for the duration of Shadow Broker though.

diglyd

Banned
You know I might be in the minority saying this but I am really not that impressed by ME2 in general over ME1. I played ME1 4 times and really enjoyed the openness of the game, the great looking planets, the more advanced lighting engine, and the story. The Inventory mangement was ok not as bad as people make it out to be and the Mako was a pain in the ass to drive but the sense of exploration was really great. It felt like a space opera.

ME2 on the other hand feels so small in comparison so clusterphobic. The conversation system is much more mature and the individual stories are cool as are all the characters. However the entire game felt so "rushed" to me compared to the first one. I am currently at the part before the final mission and have completed all the DLC and loyalty missions. I don't know maybe its just me but the game feels "hollow" and devoide of any sense of scope and wonder.

I liked how in the first game I wasn't always in combat and that I did not know if something was going to happen. It just felt like an adventure or traditional RPG. This feels more like a shooter with a normal level design where you pop into a level and instantly know you are going to have ot just kill stuff. I know this has been said before on there but it still bothers me to no end that Bioware removed any and all sense of surprise.

Also most of the locations are tiny in comparison to the places in the first game with absolutely no sense of exploration. Like on the citadel there is just nothing to do and its a fraction of the size of the old one. Same for other planets. Sure the backgrounds are pretty but everything just seems so lifeless.

I wasn't even that impressed with the DLC including Overlord. Based on the glowing reviews I thought it would br better and it felt shallow as well. This became even more true as over the last week I have started playing Fallout 3 again and went through the Mothership Zeta DLC expansion. It took me almost 8 hours to scour and explore the enitre ship killing massive amounts of aliens on Hard difficulty. That DLC really sucked me in and made me feel like I was really abord an alien ship. The final parts of the mission dealing with the Death Ray were icing on the cake. I never felt that playing any ofthe ME2 DLCs or the game itself. All the levels in ME2 are tiny, a few corridors and platforms that all look the same.

ME2 is faster, the combat is tighter, the conversations are better and the music is great as are the cutscenes but the game feels "rushed" and "unpolished" and really dumbed down. The mining is garbage and doesn't even present a sense of wonder or planetery exploration, the planets don't look as mysterious anymore as the really cool lighting endgine got dumbed down, the new mako and concept of mining is idiotic, and most of the side quests are pretty lame compared to anything in Fallout for example. Its like half a game and yet everyone everythwere is praising how great it is.

I think Bioware needs to take a lesson out of Fallout on how to create a world that actually immerses you, how to make a world that feels blievable, one that does not treat you like a child but leaves you alone to discover your own path instead without massive handholding or lame puzzles.

I don't know I guess I'm just wondering why everyone things ME2 is so good. I find that ME1 is far superior to the second game in many ways...from the overall story to the villan to the immersion and the scope. ME2 is a shallow, and hallow shell of the first one.

(*edited for some spelling errors)

diglyd

diglyd

Banned
I always liked the music in the game...as far as unpolished I did not mean it in a technical sense but as far as the game world is concenred. Maybe the better word to use would have been "basic" or "rushed" or "generic" instead of unpolished.

And yes I played the same game you guys played. I just don't think there is really allot of "meat" to the game. There just sn't that much content and the world does not feel alive. I got a better sense of Outer Space, and sci-fi from the first game then the second. The second was more basic and did not feel like a space opera at all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stallion Free said:
I wonder if next month's DLC will be another set of squad member costumes.

I'd bet on another set of squad costumes. BioWare had an 'Alternate Appearance Pack 2' suggestions thread up not too long ago, and closed it before Lair of the Shadow Broker released.

They said they would probably slowing down DLC now though, so I wonder if they will stick to their once-per-month schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom