• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtofan

Net_Wrecker said:
Going through all of the major DLC packs right now so general Mass Effect Trilogy spoiler talk incoming:

As "cool" as it is that your whole crew can die in Mass Effect 2, I have to say that I truly wish that they saved that "feature" for Mass Effect 3. As it is now, they will have to account for any number of possible crew deaths, and I just don't see them creating 12+ fully fleshed out characters for Mass Effect 3 where possibly ALL of them won't be used. The whole Mass Effect 2 campaign was getting all of these crew members to join Shepard on a possible suicide mission, and once you've gained the loyalty of all of them, the game is pretty much over. I REALLY like the crew BioWare has created for ME2, but I can't help but feel like all of these characters will go to waste in ME3 only showing up in a Kaiden, Ashley, or MAYBE Liara post DLC fashion from ME2.

I'll be very disappointed if it's a complete reshuffle of the crew for ME3, but it's hard to imagine any other way.
I wouldn't be surprised if they add
replacements of sorts for dead characters like Thane's son(Thane will be dead anyway I think :( ),another Geth(it could have Legion's memory or something),Mordin is pretty old so maybe he'll be dead and replaced by a younger salarian who knew him
.Anyway there's tons of possibilities
By the way am I the only one who wants a Batarian squad member in ME3?
It would make for hilarious situations.
Or an ameliorated mecha LOKI controlled by EDI.

Dresden

X-Frame said:
I'd love it if one of Stasis' upgrades was a Stasis Field to hit multiple people. ;) But that would be way too cheap.

I'm also just considering Geth Shield Boost with 75% shields and 10% weapon's damage since I am a Soldier and want to be more aggressively.
You're going to be spamming AR every cooldown, though. That's how you maximize damage with a soldier. You don't want to spend a looooong cooldown like a shield boost.

If you have to choose a shield, I'd take fortification.

masterkajo

Net_Wrecker said:
Going through all of the major DLC packs right now so general Mass Effect Trilogy spoiler talk incoming:

As "cool" as it is that your whole crew can die in Mass Effect 2, I have to say that I truly wish that they saved that "feature" for Mass Effect 3. As it is now, they will have to account for any number of possible crew deaths, and I just don't see them creating 12+ fully fleshed out characters for Mass Effect 3 where possibly ALL of them won't be used. The whole Mass Effect 2 campaign was getting all of these crew members to join Shepard on a possible suicide mission, and once you've gained the loyalty of all of them, the game is pretty much over. I REALLY like the crew BioWare has created for ME2, but I can't help but feel like all of these characters will go to waste in ME3 only showing up in a Kaiden, Ashley, or MAYBE Liara post DLC fashion from ME2.

I'll be very disappointed if it's a complete reshuffle of the crew for ME3, but it's hard to imagine any other way.

AFAIK, they have some statistics on the game via some online feedback. So they could make a decision where like 60% of all submitted players had Mordin die --> so he won't be back except in an E-Mail or short "Walk-in" at a bar. On the other hand, if let's say for only 5% Tali died that she could very well have a larger role which would otherwise be filled with some other not yet known Quarian with less dialog because you don't need to account for your history together.... Hope at least that it is something along this line because if they just reappear in a small cutscene at the end of the game (ie: seeing them fighting for 10 secs) won't be enough for me!

X-Frame

Dresden said:
You're going to be spamming AR every cooldown, though. That's how you maximize damage with a soldier. You don't want to spend a looooong cooldown like a shield boost.

If you have to choose a shield, I'd take fortification.

Very true. So maybe just Warp Ammo as my bonus since I don't have to worry about it getting in the way of my AR.

PS I'm going for a Sniper Soldier (Widow &/or Viper) instead of getting the Reverant workhorse. Want to try something different.

Heightened Adrenaline Rush
Commando
Squad Disruptor Ammo
Squad Incendiary Ammo
Heavy Warp Ammo

Mindlog

Kurtofan said:
By the way am I the only one who wants a Batarian squad member in ME3?
It would make for hilarious situations.
Or an ameliorated mecha LOKI controlled by EDI.

I agree on the replacements. It's odd how many characters are already set up to do exactly that. I could tolerate a dead Batarian squad member. Adept Sheppard can use the corpse as a weapon.

I've been playing a FemShep Soldier import. I didn't look too closely at the loading screens and I was surprised there was no Wrex! This was my first time encountering Wreav and somehow the Krogan genophage data got deleted.

The Widow is there to tempt the soldier, but I'm in the Revenant camp now. The Viper is a better soldier sniper rifle. The Mattock is a poor Sheppard's Viper. Soldier is essentially a really slow Vanguard. I'm also debating on what to do with my bonus power. I know I am getting Inferno Ammo because I like the last radius. I may as well get Squad Disruptor since it's already 3 points down in a power I wouldn't be using. I also noticed the enemy weapon overheat bonus is handier than I though. I'll probably take ES since it synchs with AR and Inferno the best. However, Stasis seems so OP so Concussive Blast is in play. Warps + Blasts should kill a lot of Husks.

Why doesn't LotSB
Vasir
destroy the destroy the OSD when she has the chance?
ps Put a perma-death mode in ME3 along with 1 achievement point/trophy for it.

masterkajo said:
AFAIK, they have some statistics on the game via some online feedback. So they could make a decision where like 60% of all submitted players had Mordin die --> so he won't be back except in an E-Mail or short "Walk-in" at a bar. On the other hand, if let's say for only 5% Tali died that she could very well have a larger role which would otherwise be filled with some other not yet known Quarian with less dialog because you don't need to account for your history together.... Hope at least that it is something along this line because if they just reappear in a small cutscene at the end of the game (ie: seeing them fighting for 10 secs) won't be enough for me!

Considering said character is by far the best in the game with the most interesting backstory, I very sincerely hope that wouldn't happen.

Wow just finished ME1 finally the other day and just started ME2 on PC, I feel so completely lost with all the control and gameplay changes. I didn't think they were gonna streamline it so much to be more of a shooter as this, thought people were exaggerating. Plays better though combat wise.

kai3345

Banned
I'll bet that Yellow drell from LoTSB will be a squadmate

Edit:

If they DO bring in a bunch of new people for the cast of ME3, I hope they at least use mostly (if not all) characters we've seen before, or ones from the expanded universe.

Such as the aforementioned Feron, Kahlee Sanders or Aria

I can't imagine how Bioware will handle things in Mass Effect 3, but there are enough hints dropped in the Shadow Broker dossiers that they could pretty much all be out of the picture.
Thane's dying, Mordin's pretty old, Garrus won't reach his potential under Shepard's command, Zaeed isn't particularly interested in saving the galaxy. Miranda has the cancer, although it's not clear whether it's serious. Grunt would just as soon spend his life hunting Thresher Maws on Tuchanka and Jack isn't exactly the most loyal. Samara and Kasumi both said they were with Shepard until the suicide mission and probably not much further.

I hope at least Tali stays as a squad member; she did change her name to Vas Normandy, after all. And you know something's going to happen with either Ashley or Kaidan, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned out to be squad members so you could bone'em again.

If it does turn out to be a whole new cast of characters I hope they'll delve into the SPECTRE ranks. I've always wanted to see more SPECTREs in Mass Effect; three just isn't enough (I guess four if you count Shepard).

kai3345

Banned
matrix-cat said:
I can't imagine how Bioware will handle things in Mass Effect 3, but there are enough hints dropped in the Shadow Broker dossiers that they could pretty much all be out of the picture.
Thane's dying, Mordin's pretty old, Garrus won't reach his potential under Shepard's command, Zaeed isn't particularly interested in saving the galaxy. Miranda has the cancer, although it's not clear whether it's serious. Grunt would just as soon spend his life hunting Thresher Maws on Tuchanka and Jack isn't exactly the most loyal. Samara and Kasumi both said they were with Shepard until the suicide mission and probably not much further.

I hope at least Tali stays as a squad member; she did change her name to Vas Normandy, after all. And you know something's going to happen with either Ashley or Kaidan, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned out to be squad members so you could bone'em again.

If it does turn out to be a whole new cast of characters I hope they'll delve into the SPECTRE ranks. I've always wanted to see more SPECTREs in Mass Effect; three just isn't enough (I guess four if you count Shepard).
ManCountingFingers.jpg

Saren, Vasir, Shepard....who else?

So I'm thinking about restarting. Are the DLC's worth it? Kasumi? Overlord? Firepower pack? Shadowbroker? Do I need to restart the game in order to get to these missions? Like..if I had 1 save file and it had already beaten the game, would it even be worth it to get the Kasumi DLC?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MisterAnderson said:
So I'm thinking about restarting. Are the DLC's worth it? Kasumi? Overlord? Firepower pack? Shadowbroker? Do I need to restart the game in order to get to these missions? Like..if I had 1 save file and it had already beaten the game, would it even be worth it to get the Kasumi DLC?

Shadow Broker is a bit short, but very high quality and does a fantastic job of moving the Mass Effect universe forward rather than act as a meaningless side mission.

Overlord is also good, probably a little bit longer than Shadow Broker, and has a fun story, but as a whole is more of a side mission than anything else.

Kasumi is the character and her loyalty mission. The latter is probably one of the best loyalty missions out of the whole crew, but it is very short. Kasumi as a character is really great, but she can only be communicated with on the ship like Zaeed; no full length interactive conversation. Her value is relative to how often you'll use her in other missions.

Firepower has three overpriced guns, but I bought it because I'm a whore for Mass Effect. All three weapons are fantastic, if overpowered. I really like the pistol as it's basically a space revolver; low firing speed, super high damage. The shotgun can be charged and fires three plasma balls, and the assault rifle is more of a semi-automatic rifle that does high damage at the expense of automatic fire.

You can play them at almost any point. The Firepower weapons are available in your armory from the start, and Overlord and Kasumi can be engaged the moment you get on the galaxy map. I figure Shadow Broker cant be activated until you can fly to Illium, around halfway through the game.

Otherwise, they can be played and finished at any point, including post-endgame.

Zomba13 said:
If Tali and Garrus aren't squad mates in ME3 I'll cry. I've used them in every game for every mission I could.
I will be crushed if I can't have Tali in my squad, but I think Garrus has to be given his own ship and crew and be like Snake in MGS2. He'd be such a badass if he wasn't taking orders from Shepard. Imagine being halfway through the game and running into Garrus and his squad laying waste to a horde of Geth or something. Hopefully it'd be more than a cameo; maybe you could have some limited control over his dudes in bigger missions, like picking him to lead the fire team in the suicide mission.

MisterAnderson said:
You get enough time to play around with Kasumi's abilities in her DLC mission, so I'd say it'd be worth it even if you'd beaten the game. The rest of the DLC isn't related to ME2's main mission, so you can do it whenever. In fact I think you have to have beaten the game to access Shadow Broker, although I'm not sure about that.

X-Frame

Let's be honest - Garrus is going to lead a Turian armada; Legion the Geth fleet, Tali the Flotilla, Liara
basically all her shadow agents
, Wrex the unified Krogan army, Mordin the STG, Miranda a Cerberus crew, Anderson the Alliance, etc.

:p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
X-Frame said:
Let's be honest - Garrus is going to lead a Turian armada; Legion the Geth fleet, Tali the Flotilla, Liara
, Wrex the unified Krogan army, Mordin the STG, Miranda a Cerberus crew, Anderson the Alliance, etc.

My thoughts as well. Uniting your crew in ME2 (and to some extent ME1) will go towards uniting the races in ME3 and the EPIC FINAL BATTLE.

Hey BioWare, could you guys please render the final battle videos in 1080p this time?

Wallach

EatChildren said:
My thoughts as well. Uniting your crew in ME2 (and to some extent ME1) will go towards uniting the races in ME3 and the EPIC FINAL BATTLE.

Hey BioWare, could you guys please render the final battle videos in 1080p this time?

LOL seriously, this is my one remaining big complaint with this series. Why are the videos so bad?

Wallach said:
LOL seriously, this is my one remaining big complaint with this series. Why are the videos so bad?
Bink. I have no idea why so many developers use it, it's the worst thing in the history of the world.

X-Frame said:

That's a great idea, but it still means the crew will be reshuffled to hell and back in ME3, and again, I just don't see how BioWare would put THAT much work into the game while having to account for any number of those people you mentioned being DEAD. ME2 already took up 2 disks, and that was just from recruiting all these people, not to mention the TIME involved in having to create all of these different possible outcomes based on ME1 + ME2 decisions.

The only way I could see that working is if the characters are involved in a SUPER small capacity only showing their faces once or twice during the whole game. That way, if that character is dead, Player X just won't have the conversation, and will be backed by those parties just BECAUSE you're Shepard instead of having a friendly relationship with the faction leader.

Either way, I feel like BioWare backed themselves into a corner by having the "EVERYONE CAN DIE" option in ME2. SOME teammates should've been able to die through the course of the first 2 games, but not ALL of them...Until ME3 where they could've gone all out including a "Universe Taken Over By _______ Ending."

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
matrix-cat said:
Bink. I have no idea why so many developers use it, it's the worst thing in the history of the world.
Bink is some phenomenal tech, there is a reason so many devs use it. Mass Effects issue is that they are incredibly low on disk space on 360 and have to be space efficient. Same goes for DLC.

X-Frame said:

I definitely see this happening. Easiest way to get all of the cast of characters involved and yet easily replaceable if they died in ME1 / ME2.

In hindsight I really wish they didn't allow every character to die in ME2 and instead took the same route as ME1 and basically put half the crew on the chopping block and leaving some crew members who will 100% be in ME3. I thought it was awesome when I first read previews about it, but now I realized it only handcuffs Bioware as to what they'll potentially do for ME3.

Jinaar

What the heck happened to Female Shepard's dancing from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2?

I'm replaying ME1 and during LOCKDOWN, I see Doran dancing up a storm at Flux. I head on over and press A to lay down the moves and was impressed to see Female Shepard really bust a move.

Compare this to Female Shepard's dancing like a junior high boy at his first school dance by himself in the corner that is ME2. For shame Bioware, for shame!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost done ME1 again. Then use said saved game in ME2 for my 2nd playthru but this time with the ME1 saved game. Both games are so great, regardless of the changes from ME1 to ME2 for combat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I liked the ShadowBroker DLC. Kasumi one not so much. Never purchased Overlord yet. I think I will enjoy the ShadowBroker more the 2nd time as I got re-acquainted with Liara in my ME1 run right now.

X-Frame said:

Seems to be a likely scenario. Considering that is exactly what they did with Wrex who aside from Kaiden/Ashley was your only other expendable crew member.

X-Frame

What I wrote above would be the most likely scenario. The Rachni Queen you could save on Noveria would lead her "children", etc.

Basically all who Shepard touched will be included I think.

Edgeward

matrix-cat said:
In fact I think you have to have beaten the game to access Shadow Broker, although I'm not sure about that.

Nope, you can access it as early as after clearing Horizon, I believe if I remember the wikia page correctly. I know I had access to it on my first visit to Illium.

LTTP and all but Shadow Broker is sooo good, really like how so much effort went into it. Especially after seeing the DLC for DragonAge it's nice when they put time into creating new environments, it is so pretty. Makes me want to get Overlord as well, but the lack of any rewards holds me back. =\

Stallion Free said:
Bink is some phenomenal tech, there is a reason so many devs use it. Mass Effects issue is that they are incredibly low on disk space on 360 and have to be space efficient. Same goes for DLC.

I think the fact that it looks like butt more than overrides any benefits of the codec. I would bet that an H.264 compressed video would look leagues better using the same amount of space (Bink is helped in no part by the fact that developers often encode using CBR). Memory and processing constraints are also a non-issue on nowadays consoles and PCs, as they can easily decode a 30+mbps video stream. Sure, Bink is good if you want to pre-load data behind a cutscene, but the opportunities to do this are so few and far between that even in the most cutscene heavy games it seems pointless.

Kinyou

OMG Aero said:
I haven't bought any of the ME2 DLC yet but have 400 points left in my account so I might get one of these. Which is better, Kasumi or Overlord?

Hard to say, I think the overall playtime of Overlord is longer than Kasumi's, however it is also far more repetitive...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
OMG Aero said:
I haven't bought any of the ME2 DLC yet but have 400 points left in my account so I might get one of these. Which is better, Kasumi or Overlord?
Kasumi, without a doubt. She is badass and will be used in future playthroughs.

Both missions have really really awesome endings though.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
OMG Aero said:
Kasumi is worth it, for the new Locust SMG alone.

Hey, I have a quick question about the first Mass Effect on PC: how the hell do I melee?

I've searched the manual and I've looked at options/controls, it doesn't seem to mention melee at all.

kuYuri

Lucky Forward said:
Hey, I have a quick question about the first Mass Effect on PC: how the hell do I melee?

I've searched the manual and I've looked at options/controls, it doesn't seem to mention melee at all.

Your character melees instead of firing their gun when they get close enough to the enemy. There is no dedicated melee button.

Strider2K99 said:
Your character melees instead of firing their gun when they get close enough to the enemy. There is no dedicated melee button.
Thanks, seems lame but I suspected that. I'm doing the "don't kill any colonists" mission on Feros, so it's the first time I've had to use melee.

OMG Aero said:

Kasumi is a 45 minutes loyal mission, with a cool looking character which zero interaction and with a bunch of random sentences.

Overlord is a 2-3h cool side quest, with a nice side plot, some really cool moments, and a bit of exploration in beatifully crafted landscape.

The choice is pretty easy, you get way more for your money with Overlord.

Overlord is the best DLC alongside Shadow Broker, Kasumi is really overpriced and really not worth for that price.

If you have a female Shepard get Kasumi, night dress makes Kasumi a must get for a female shepard playthrough :lol

OMG Aero said:

If you haven't beaten the game, Kasumi is just a loyalty mission but you get to use her in your squad then. If you have beaten the game and don't intend on doing a new playthrough, Overlord gives you a sweet ass extra 2-3 hours of stuff to do. I'd say spend the money to get both. Plus Shadowbroker.

Matchew

Ok I just downloaded Overlord, but how do I play it. I just loaded my finished play through and I don't get nothing to do the Overload missions. This is my first DLC for ME so I don’t really know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom