• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kai3345

Banned
SFGamer said:
Ok I just downloaded Overlord, but how do I play it. I just loaded my finished play through and I don't get nothing to do the Overload missions. This is my first DLC for ME so I don’t really know what to do.
its marked on your star map thing as "Operation: overlord" I think

Prezhulio

jesus, $15 on amazon for the pc version....i was waiting for steam to price drop it but i might as well get it now for that, a freaking steal.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
shwimpy said:
It's $17.96 @amazon.

Bioware/EA better not be planning to release the PS3 version for $59.99.
I'm guessing it'll probably be a $60 Ultimate Edition with a voucher to unlock all the DLC content.

Balphon

Killthee said:
I'm guessing it'll probably be a $60 Ultimate Edition with a voucher to unlock all the DLC content.

Even then, buying the game at $20 new and then all the DLC separately at full price is only $50 or so if I'm doing my math right.

FLEABttn

Banned
Balphon said:
Even then, buying the game at $20 new and then all the DLC separately at full price is only $50 or so if I'm doing my math right.

Possibly a discount GOTY release.

Which is my dilema at the moment. Do I jump on the $18 one from Amazon or wait for an eventual GOTY release which is bound to include all DLC?

Balphon

FLEABttn said:
Possibly a discount GOTY release.

Which is my dilema at the moment. Do I jump on the $18 one from Amazon or wait for an eventual GOTY release which is bound to include all DLC?

With the discount, you can pickup the worthwhile DLC (Overlord, Shadow Broker, Kasumi) for $20 all together. I doubt you'll be able do better than $38~ anytime soon.

X-Frame

Random question - what happens during a NG+ playthrough .. are you forced to replay the same class or can you switch classes but keep all the points you accumulated? Are all the characters unlocked from the start?

StUnNeR H2K

I've been glued to Halo for the last few weeks and totally missed out on the latest DLC... how was it compared to the previous sets of DLC?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StUnNeR H2K said:
I've been glued to Halo for the last few weeks and totally missed out on the latest DLC... how was it compared to the previous sets of DLC?
The Liara one has been considered the best one yet by most of the community and I have to agree. If you played ME1 it should definitely not be missed.

StUnNeR H2K

Stallion Free said:
The Liara one has been considered the best one yet by most of the community and I have to agree. If you played ME1 it should definitely not be missed.

Yes, I played the first, and was dissapointed that no Liara was on your squad in ME2, so I'm sure I'll enjoy just wanted to know if it would live up to the personal hype that might be stored within ME1 players....

Arjen

X-Frame said:
Random question - what happens during a NG+ playthrough .. are you forced to replay the same class or can you switch classes but keep all the points you accumulated? Are all the characters unlocked from the start?

You have to stick to your class, you keep your level and weapons.
But you lose all your upgrades.
Pretty useless really

X-Frame

Arjen said:
You have to stick to your class, you keep your level and weapons.
But you lose all your upgrades.
Pretty useless really

Thanks. Do you receive all the bonuses of money and resources as well like when you import an ME1 character into a new save?

X-Frame said:
Thanks. Do you receive all the bonuses of money and resources as well like when you import an ME1 character into a new save?

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Save_File_Transfer

Mass Effect 2 → Mass Effect 2 (Existing Characters, New Characters)
After completing the game a single time (regardless of importing a Mass Effect character) all new Mass Effect 2 characters receive the following, and existing Mass Effect 2 characters that are imported from a save file get to keep their weapons and armor on top of these bonuses.
+25% Bonus Experience - Able to reach level 30 with a new character in a single playthrough.
+200,000 Credits
+50,000 Iridium
+50,000 Palladium
+50,000 Platinum
+50,000 Element Zero - Will not have to scan for element zero at all.
+500 Fuel and +30 Probes - Existing Mass Effect 2 characters can carry over extra fuel and probes if the save file possesses the Extended Fuel Cells and Modular Probe Bay upgrades and both are fully stocked. The Normandy SR-2 will possess 1500/1000 fuel, and 60/30 probes following the Freedoms Progress Mission.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This month is looking to be the first month since launch with no DLC :(.

gdt

Diablohead said:
*edit* read that wrong, i thought you were on about ME1 to ME2 character.

That part of the game is already broken. If you scan only a quarter of all planets, you'll have more than enough minerals than you'll ever need.

Damn it, I hate the fact you can't skip the opening sequence. I messed up my shepard's face (and started progressing on the WRONG save.)

Fuckin A. Bioware......fucking A.

On the flip side my Femshep is hot as hell.

X-Frame

Angelus Errare said:
Damn it, I hate the fact you can't skip the opening sequence. I messed up my shepard's face (and started progressing on the WRONG save.)

Need a pic now.

Also ..

I'm considering using Stasis on my Widow Soldier playthrough (Insanity) because I hear Stasis is so dirty :) but curious about one thing ..

Can you Stasis 1 enemy .. wait for the cooldown .. and when that enemy is still in stasis -- stasis another enemy (so you have 2 people in stasis)?

Also .. what exactly did it mean when it says that the enemies build up resistances? I'm trying to figure out the differences between the 2 version of max Stasis .. which is better?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Overlord and would like to play Shadow Broker now, but I basically have zero room on my hard drive and nothing to delete. What would happen if I deleted Overlord? Will that mess with the game in any way or exclude me from ME3 referencing the decisions I made in that DLC?

Rufus

Nils said:
Just finished Overlord and would like to play Shadow Broker now, but I basically have zero room on my hard drive and nothing to delete. What would happen if I deleted Overlord? Will that mess with the game in any way or exclude me from ME3 referencing the decisions I made in that DLC?
Ask yourself this. Did you need to have ME1 installed for ME2 to reference decisions in that? Saves are enough.

Also: I don't think anything in Overlord is referenced in Shadow Broker. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Rufus said:
Ask yourself this. Did you need to have ME1 installed for ME2 to reference decisions in that? Saves are enough.

Also: I don't think anything in Overlord is referenced in Shadow Broker. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That's what I figured. Just to be sure, does the same apply for the Kasumi stuff? I'm guessing that one is more problematic because it could potentially erase the character or am I wrong?

Lakitu

st5fu
hermit7 said:
Would personally like to see some more content announced.

Maybe a Kaiden/Ashley pack for after?

Dying for more content. We know something's in the works, so hopefully an announcement is not too far away.

X-Frame said:
Need a pic now.

Also ..

I'm considering using Stasis on my Widow Soldier playthrough (Insanity) because I hear Stasis is so dirty :) but curious about one thing ..

Can you Stasis 1 enemy .. wait for the cooldown .. and when that enemy is still in stasis -- stasis another enemy (so you have 2 people in stasis)?

Also .. what exactly did it mean when it says that the enemies build up resistances? I'm trying to figure out the differences between the 2 version of max Stasis .. which is better?

We got my Ghost In the Shell Shepard here:
UaQYw.png

And my "I'm hot shit" Shepard here (Same Shep, different hairstyles

xsH2d.jpg

Kolgar

Angelus Errare said:

OK, those are hot. "Hot Shit" Shepard really is.

I just finished Overlord and realized I'm missing the achievement for incinerating enemy shields. What's the best way for me to go about getting this? Are there enough shielded enemies in Lair of the Shadowbroker that I can get it there?

Do stats stack on multiple playthroughs so maybe I could get it on an upcoming a MaleShep run?

Thanks in advance.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
On my next playthrough I should consider modding some cool clothes for Shepard, almost nobody else is wearing armour in the sequel after all.

B.K.

How is Mass Effect 2 as a stand alone game? I want to get the PS3 version when it comes out, but I don't have a 360, so I've never played the original.

B.K. said:
How is Mass Effect 2 as a stand alone game? I want to get the PS3 version when it comes out, but I don't have a 360, so I've never played the original.

In all honesty? You don't really need to play the original at all for plot cohesion purposes.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Angelus Errare said:

You can. You can modify the game files by renaming the movies in a certain folder. It doesn't fuck with the game. I added the word "rename" to all the files I didn't want to see while trying to get my character right. As soon as I selected "start game" it then consisted of walking to the bridge to get Joker, and then right to the character building part. No cut scenes - nothing. You can rename the files back later if you want to see them again. Look this up online for more information. Also, nice shep. Looks like mine.

B.K. said:

You don't have to play the original. All you need to know is that Shepard saved the day and is now more or less a hero to most people. Frequent references are made by Shepard, or other people, about how awesome Shepard is supposed to be for doing that. Other than that, the rest of the story is more or less unrelated to the last. I played ME2 first, and ME1 after. Didn't make a difference.

X-Frame

I started a new file as an Engineer with Dominate as my bonus power. So far, I love the class. Freezing, burning, distracting with the combat drone, AI hacking, dominating, overloading .. very effective class.

Just need to have a biotic with me (or even 2 in some cases) since I need people that can deal with Barrier.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
B.K. said:

Functional, and as a story quite stand-alone, but it still continues the main story arc and there are a lot of references and characters (two of which you recruit) that wont have the same impact unless you've played the first game.

However, BioWare are planning some kind of recap thingo for the PS3 version, and I wouldn't be surprised if it updated you on the story through interactive choices or something.

The only real negative about playing Mass Effect 2 prior to Mass Effect, and not importing a character, is that the game acts as if you were Renegade through Mass Effect. It doesn't effect much more than emails and the likes, but I'd hate to have the fate of certain characters go the way of Renegade, even if their appearance in Mass Effect 2 is just a cameo.

X-Frame

Hopefully for people that played ME1 already on the 360/PC .. for the PS3 there are actually basic choices,
i.e. save or kill the Rachni Queen.
and we can just pick them.

I assume for the relatively minor events or side missions there might not be choices, but for the major ones that do effect the majority of the story (plus ME3) I'd hate to have those set a certain way like ME2 as a stand-alone now.

Rufus

Nils said:
That's what I figured. Just to be sure, does the same apply for the Kasumi stuff? I'm guessing that one is more problematic because it could potentially erase the character or am I wrong?
Sure, she'd be unavailable to you as a team member. Don't know how the saves would react to that though, but I've got to assume that Bioware thought about this and made it so it doesn't break anything. You could always re-download that DLC if it does fuck up a save, or doesn't let you load, because such and such content is missing. (Dragon Age does something like this, where you have to force load saves with DLC if you are not logged in. I never tried it to see what happens if you do, because I wore some of it.) I would make sure to load a save where she's not part of your current squad. Back up your saves, too, just in case.
I'm only going by common sense, keep that in mind.

Mr_Zombie

Rufus said:
Sure, she'd be unavailable to you as a team member. Don't know how the saves would react to that though, but I've got to assume that Bioware thought about this and made it so it doesn't break anything. You could always re-download that DLC if it does fuck up a save, or doesn't let you load, because such and such content is missing.

If you don't have DLC anymore, or the game can't verify you, it refuses to load a save when said content was used :/

Angelus Errare said:
Whoa, hot. Do you mind sharing her code? :]

Kittonwy

Banned
B.K. said:

It depends on what you would consider a decent third-person shooter, and how much of a pass you're willing to give it for being an "RPG" (they have pretty much streamlined the fuck out of it compared to the first game), the biotic and tech powers were kind of interesting but as a shooter it was pretty meh in terms of basic mechanics and level/scenario design, the AI was pretty fucking stupid.

X-Frame

Angelus Errare said:
UaQYw.png

xsH2d.jpg
Gonna need the face code for Hot Shep, please. ;)

Is anything on her face nodded? I'm on the 360. Please say no .. Lol.

Z_Y

Thinking about using my Reach bucks to pick this up at Amazon. All new copies still contain the Cerberus Network vouchers...correct?

Mindlog

X-Frame said:
Gonna need the face code for Hot Shep, please. ;)

Is anything on her face nodded? I'm on the 360. Please say no .. Lol.

It looks a little similar to Liv Sheppard in game.

I finished one last game of ME1. Got a Jane Sheppard to level 60. I can't believe I enjoyed the inventory system at one point :lol Using streamlining as a derogatory term when comparing ME2 to ME1 becomes more amusing with the passage of time.

Still...
Lots of Sirta Foundation stuff in Cerberus bunkers. Clearly Cerberus is funded by Medi-Gel.

In to hell with ME 2 news: I've finally run into a frustrating ME2 bug. I upgraded the Scanner early but didn't use it. Now that I need some minerals it appears the upgrade didn't take. I have no save that can address this :\ I hope it just fixes itself somehow when I get to disc 2.

p.s. In ME3 let advanced ammo powers evolve to apply modifiers to the missile launcher.

X-Frame said:
Need a pic now.

Also ..

I forget if stasis expires after you cast it on another enemy. That would actually be a good thing because it would bring the 1st enemy into ragdoll quicker.

Enemies begin building up a resistance to stasis every time you cast it on them. Stasis will expire more quickly every time you cast it on the same enemy. Eventually the enemy may become immune (takes a while?)

Enhanced Stasis is better because of the resistance bonus. You don't really need enemies to stay in stasis longer (Deep Stasis.)

However, stasis is easily the most powerful 1 point power. I think I'm going to keep it on 1 point with my current insanity adept.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Nothing can touch my sultry but deadly Kelsey Shepard. She'll chew you up and spit you out and youll like it.

MassEffect22010-10-1906-17-56-59.jpg

MassEffect22010-10-1906-14-41-56.jpg

Anyways I recently started up again playing as an Sentinal for the first time, not sure how much Im liking it, the tech armor is pretty nifty but so far hasnt seemed like a huge advantage. But having tech and biotic abilities has been fun been using other biotics a lot pull and push combos which are always fun.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Enduin said:
Nothing can touch my sultry but deadly Kelsey Shepard. She'll chew you up and spit you out and youll like it.

Anyways I recently started up again playing as an Sentinal for the first time, not sure how much Im liking it, the tech armor is pretty nifty but so far hasnt seemed like a huge advantage. But having tech and biotic abilities has been fun been using other biotics a lot pull and push combos which are always fun.

hardcore manjaw.

Bradach

i saw a TV add last night for Fallout New Vegas. apparently if you buy it in GAME in the UK for xbox you can also buy Mass Effect 2 for £6... good deal.

X-Frame

Tech Armor is badass once it's upgraded to Assault Armor. Sends a huge Shockwave energy pulse out knocking everyone over. Great when you can give your Sentinel a shotgun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom