• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lakitu said:
Some info on the PS3 version apparently... from the Bioware boards. Until there's an official confirmation though I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Rumours that it'll include:
-An interactive comic retelling ME 1, that you will make the key decisions in.
-It'll include all previously released DLC. (Which is a given)
-And it'll be have a new 6 hour mission / DLC. I don't know if that's exclusive to PS3 though. If it is, I'd imagine a huge backlash, but I reckon if it is true, it'll coincide with PS3's release.

Edit: Well it actually is official, it comes from a German moderator. http://social.bioware.com/forum/4/topic/81/index/5170462
If they make me go buy some 720p piece of shit to get access to six hours of content I will be so fucking irritated. I will probably rage quit gaming.

Acidote

Exclusive PS3 DLC? I'm sick and tired of this stuff.

I hope it's not. I bought ME2 for my 360 instead of PC just to have the entire saga in the same system. Anyways, I'll wait for a Mass Effect 2: Ultimate Edition.

I hope they're just going to make the next DLC release match up with ME2 PS3 release date.

Acidote

I mean the way the prelude is going to be, the included DLC on the disc, etc.

I'm "mad" at the rumor too, but cool down, it's just a rumor :lol

Moderator in Bioware thread replied that they will let gamers know if something new comes up with PS3 mission.

Hell yeah, my German is getting better!:D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I seriously doubt BioWare would release a six hour DLC exclusive to PS3. Smaller shit I could see happening, but something that big? BioWare know people will buy it, and their biggest fanbase is on Xbox 360 and PC. It would be a stupid financial decision to exclude them.

EDIT: Also, guys, if news pops up, even if its a rumour, make a new thread. Dont bury it. This thread has been closed once before because of buring info. Lets not have it happen again.

Moobabe

Fake edit 2

It doesn't seem so - with the EA download manager I have a "product code" which I assumed was the code for the cerberus network but it doesn't seem that it is. How do I get one of these codes?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Moobabe said:
Fake edit 2

It doesn't seem so - with the EA download manager I have a "product code" which I assumed was the code for the cerberus network but it doesn't seem that it is. How do I get one of these codes?

What is your question?

Lime

I've been listening to the original ME2 soundtrack in lieu of the recent releases on Amazon and Itunes and it's so great to revisit the good tracks. 'Tali' and 'The Illusive Man' are easily the best among the many tracks, and even better than some of the stuff from ME1. However, in terms of ambience the first game's soundtrack was somewhat more memorable and 'synthy' (maybe because it looped :lol).

Btw, did anyone else notice the standard volume of the music in ME2 is very low compared to the other sounds? I usually turn the other sounds way down, so the music isn't as subdued as usual.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Well I picked up ME1 a month or so back. I just can't play it. I've tried several times. So bad. I'm sure the story and characters are great, but the gameplay and mechanics just feel so broken in comparison. Fighting is sloppy and cumbersome, inventory management sucks, even running around feels weird. I tried to get used to it, but oh well. Time to play ME2 again =p

Well I picked up ME1 a month or so back. I just can't play it. I've tried several times. So bad. I'm sure the story and characters are great, but the gameplay and mechanics just feel so broken in comparison. Fighting is sloppy and cumbersome, inventory management sucks, even running around feels weird. I tried to get used to it, but oh well. Time to play ME2 again =p

bunkkima.gif

Lime

Extollere said:

PC or 360 version?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Come on. You guys know the first game is unpolished compared to the second. Story and characters are great - and very important for a game like this, but they still play second fiddle to the actual game play for me. I'm just not a fan of ME1's mechanics. The controls, UI, battlefield layout, AI, and other in-game elements are vastly inferior to the second game. I'm not hatin, I'm just saying that it isn't very captivating to me personally. It's a preference thing, but it's big enough to disengage me from the game. I never really feel like booting it up after trying several times and playing long enough to get into the missions. Never had that problem with ME2, which was brilliant start to finish.

Ah well, that's just my opinion. I won't say ME1 is a bad game, I can see that it does some things very well. Played PC version btw. No 360 right now.

Lime

I agree that it has some deficiencies, but I consider it to be an unpolished diamond. ME2 is definitely an improvement in terms of non-RPG game mechanics, but ME1 is far from unplayable compared to its sequel. While the drawbacks are there, its strengths (story especially) more than make up for it and I am often unsure whether 1 or 2 is the best (so far in the series), due to both excelling at very different things.

Extollere said:
Come on. You guys know the first game is unpolished compared to the second. Story and characters are great - and very important for a game like this, but they still play second fiddle to the actual game play for me. I'm just not a fan of ME1's mechanics. The controls, UI, battlefield layout, AI, and other in-game elements are vastly inferior to the second game. I'm not hatin, I'm just saying that it isn't very captivating to me personally. It's a preference thing, but it's big enough to disengage me from the game. I never really feel like booting it up after trying several times and playing long enough to get into the missions. Never had that problem with ME2, which was brilliant start to finish.

Ah well, that's just my opinion. I won't say ME1 is a bad game, I can see that it does some things very well. Played PC version btw. No 360 right now.
Yeah I dunno. I guess I can see how something about the game bothers you so much that you hate while a lot of other people might like it. Eh but I know I will replay ME1 before 3 comes out.

Jinaar

I have just played ME2 and then ME1 right there after. Both stand on their own as different approaches and I found both excelled in what they were going for for each game. I loved both games and will play both again speed run wise when ME3 comes out. Love both.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Heads up that this is one of the largest active threads on GAF and it probably shouldn't go too many more replies without the creation of a second OT.

I would say that we'll probably lock this one just before the release of ME2 PS3 and allow for that convenient cutover point for the second OT. If you guys would like to figure out who will be the OP for that thread, that'd be great.

Enjoyed ME2 and going back to 1, yea it's a bit hard as the gameplay was just overall better in 2, while 1 felt sloppy in it's shooting/cover aspects. At the time though ME1 was great though, but after 2 it just not as easy to go back for me.

I kind of wished it had the gameplay of 2, but with the more rpg like aspects of 1 still intact.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Stumpokapow said:
Heads up that this is one of the largest active threads on GAF and it probably shouldn't go too many more replies without the creation of a second OT.

I would say that we'll probably lock this one just before the release of ME2 PS3 and allow for that convenient cutover point for the second OT. If you guys would like to figure out who will be the OP for that thread, that'd be great.

Had a feeling that that moment for locking would be coming soon...

I don't know if anyone else will step up, but I can re-create it whenever it gets locked.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Skilotonn said:
Had a feeling that that moment for locking would be coming soon...

I don't know if anyone else will step up, but I can re-create it whenever it gets locked.

If you'd like to, do it about a week before the PS3 launch (whenever that ends up being dated for) and we'll be happy to lock this one and refer people to your new thread. Thanks!

X-Frame

I have to play ME1 one more time as a full Paragon, completing pretty much everything before I don't "have" to play it anymore. I really enjoyed the story and the music but the combat is terrible and just unsatisfying, especially when compared to ME2. Only reason why I made a full Renegade and will make a full Paragon is to import it for ME2 and ME3.

I've played ME2 about 10 times already and still not sick of it .. I can play another 10 times easily because the combat is so deep and you can specialize in many ways with a class.

Another reason why I am excited about the PS3 version's Dark Horse Comics.

EatChildren

I too would be happy to recreate this thread for the PS3 release, though it would be near identical, with the appropriate PS3 information added (and the DLC).

But I'm not fussed. If Skilotonn wants it, he/she/it can have it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gillian Seed said:
I plan on getting the PS3 version, but i really hope we get the new 6 hour mission on the 360 as well.
Uh, it was all cleared up- the "six hour mission" is the DLC previously released on Xbox. The only thing new that PS3 is getting is the interactive comic to fill in the story of ME1.

Ok guys, I bought this game back in August from a friend.

I've always wanted to play it but been so busy, I finally fired it up today for an hour and I must say it has a very epic, Galactic!! intro.

Trouble is I don't know anything about the story, never had a chance to play the first one, and even at the very beginning of the game there seems to be lotta stuff going on...

An hour in so far and there's all these characters and groups..The "Illusive Man" the Cerberus Organization, Miranda, should I care to know where these people come from or just keep playing?

I heard many times before that it's best to know the story of Mass Effect one before starting the second, what's the best way to do that without actually playing Mass Effect? (time constraints).

I was planning to wait for the PS3 version with it's interactive comic of ME (back story whatever) . but I really don't want to wait.

BTW the graphics are amazing in this game and the lighting is the best I've seen on the 360.

So yeah! what's the best advice? If not an illustrated comic is there just a written story or something I can quickly catch up on?

kai3345

Banned
EricHasNoPull said:
Ok guys, I bought this game back in August from a friend.

I've always wanted to play it but been so busy, I finally fired it up today for an hour and I must say it has a very epic, Galactic!! intro.

Trouble is I don't know anything about the story, never had a chance to play the first one, and even at the very beginning of the game there seems to be lotta stuff going on...

An hour in so far and there's all these characters and groups..The "Illusive Man" the Cerberus Organization, Miranda, should I care to know where these people come from or just keep playing?

I heard many times before that it's best to know the story of Mass Effect one before starting the second, what's the best way to do that without actually playing Mass Effect? (time constraints).

I was planning to wait for the PS3 version with it's interactive comic of ME (back story whatever) . but I really don't want to wait.

BTW the graphics are amazing in this game and the lighting is the best I've seen on the 360.

So yeah! what's the best advice? If not an illustrated comic is there just a written story or something I can quickly catch up on?
If you read the Mass Effect wikia you can get a really in-depth plot synopsis (or a simple one if you choose) as well as the backstories + in-game stories of every character in the game.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I've been looking for a reason to play this again, and I think I'll just bite on the PS3 version instead of buying the last remaining DLC for the PC-version. I love my comfy couch and despite BioWare's trackrecord for the PS3. Truthfully I'm expecting a very bad port and I'll be happily surprised if it isn't.

kai3345 and MrTroubleMaker

Awesome!
Thanks so much, gonna sit back and watch/read these before I further venture into these epic, intergalactic quests.

Is there going to be a GOTY edition for the xbox? I'm thinking of picking it up but I don't want to buy it now and then in a few months a version with all of the DLC comes out.

Advance_Alarm said:
Is there going to be a GOTY edition for the xbox? I'm thinking of picking it up but I don't want to buy it now and then in a few months a version with all of the DLC comes out.

Most likely there will. Almost every western rpg with DLCs gets one. Even ME1 did but it ended up not being complete once they finally got Pinnacle Station out half a year later.

hermit7

kinoki said:
I've been looking for a reason to play this again, and I think I'll just bite on the PS3 version instead of buying the last remaining DLC for the PC-version. I love my comfy couch and despite BioWare's trackrecord for the PS3. Truthfully I'm expecting a very bad port and I'll be happily surprised if it isn't.

What track record? This is their first PS3 game that they are actually making.

DA was Edge of Reality

Lime

Sorry if this has already been posted in this thread, but there's a mod that removes the floating heads in the HUD:

http://social.bioware.com/project/2201/

Just download Texmod and apply the package to masseffect2.exe file and no more weird heads in your HUD!

Note: Kasumi's and Wilson's heads are still around, because it isn't an updated mod.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
EatChildren said:
I too would be happy to recreate this thread for the PS3 release, though it would be near identical, with the appropriate PS3 information added (and the DLC).

But I'm not fussed. If Skilotonn wants it, he/she/it can have it.

Hey man, I'm not a greedy person, go for it :)

Stumpokapow said:
If you'd like to, do it about a week before the PS3 launch (whenever that ends up being dated for) and we'll be happy to lock this one and refer people to your new thread. Thanks!

Cool - as big as a fan as I am of the ME universe, I won't be greedy and I'll let EatChildren repost it, seems like he really wants to do it!

Bizzyb said:
I just ordered this game. Anything I should know before going in?

If you're considering the DLC, Kasumi is the one you should play first. Since it gives you a squadmate you can use for the rest of the game.

Bizzyb

Banned
HadesGigas said:
If you're considering the DLC, Kasumi is the one you should play first. Since it gives you a squadmate you can use for the rest of the game.

I just got Fallout 3 GOTY edition and am currently playing Read Deads Undead Nightmare. As far as DLC goes I consider those games to have top notch DLC....i.e. REAL DLC. How does Mass Effects DLC compare?

kai3345

Banned
Bizzyb said:
I just got Fallout 3 GOTY edition and am currently playing Read Deads Undead Nightmare. As far as DLC goes I consider those games to have top notch DLC....i.e. REAL DLC. How does Mass Effects DLC compare?
Haven't played kasumi but Zaeed was a really useful character, especially against Yellow armor and he had an interesting backstory.

Overlord and Shadow Broker are both MUST BUYS. They were better than most of the in-game missions and Shadow Broker gives a nice peek into the possible story of Mass Effect 3

epmode

LukeSmith said:
If I've already finished my Mass Effect 2 playthrough and acquire Kasumi/Shadowbroker et cetera, how will that impact my save?
It won't. Remember, the game never ends ends. You're plopped right back onto the Normandy after saving everything.

edit: And to echo everyone else, The Shadow Broker is the best post-release content Bioware has put together since The Throne of Bhaal. Worth every penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom