• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cep

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
Is 30 enough to max everything out?

Is it easily achievable before the end game?

With a level 60 import, it is possible I think, if not, then it is close.

Also, you cannot max everything, you have to choose, but there is an option to respec about halfway through.

Basileus777 said:
For those who have played through the game.
Has anyone tried taking Legion on Tali's loyalty quest? Any interesting reactions?

Very good question, and now I regret not waiting.

Jinjo

Silicon Knight said:
I have a paper due on Friday. After handing that in, I will collect my copy of ME2.

It will be a glorious day indeed.

I know, just makes it all the more sweeter to reward yourself with an awesome game after a week of hard labour. :D

Jinjo, you and me both brother. :D

Besides, I was wondering; for those of you who have completed the game; how and when can you start a NG+? Seen the fact that you can continue your playthrough after the final battle.

So loyalty is earned simply by talking enough to unlock and beat the personal mission with each character? Is it possible to lose that loyalty? How so?

Zeliard

PC Gamer UK said:
Where Mass Effect 2 completely won me over was in the amazing climactic mission, easily one of the best game endings I've played in recent years.

John Davison said:
My issue with the conclusion of this particular chapter in the planned trilogy is that, for a relatively brief moment, this narrative rectitude is set aside purely to give gamers something big and disposable to shoot at. Make no mistake, the whole sequence is a truly spectacular piece of game design, and it's an exciting fight that's wonderfully executed -- it's just that after all of the preamble, all of the exposition, and all of the effort to bring everyone together, it feels wholly unnecessary.

Hmm...

Either way, I can't wait to experience that, I must say.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
So loyalty is earned simply by talking enough to unlock and beat the personal mission with each character? Is it possible to lose that loyalty? How so?

Once you beat the mission the loyalty is set, no way to change it at that point.

Ironborn

Banned
Is there a class upgrade similar to the one you get on the Moon in the first game in ME2?
E.g. Bastion/Nemesis for the adept.
Also, is there any general consensus on which Class is Best yet?

So have you guys actually played Vanguard? There seems to be a lot of hate being thrown around for charge but I just want to know if you guys have tried it or just "think" it won't be useful. I am 15 hours into the game as a Vanguard and I love charge. I will admit it does have to be used very tactfully as if you just charge in randomly you get absolutely rinsed, but if you use your team mates to control people and pick a good flanking position from your enemy targets you can decimate a whole group of enemies in seconds. Not to mention there's nothing cooler than charging a frozen target!

I haven't unlocked level 4 of the ability yet though. I think the slow motion ability when you land your charge will be awesome!

Andronicus said:
im down to Adept Vs Soldier

Go Adept. With the huge overhaul they've done to biotic and tech usage, it's well worth playing with those. Though the downside is it's hell trying to go back to ME1 and deal with the implementation of biotics and tech there. 60 Second recharge time seems like a damn eternity now.

Cep

Banned
Truant said:
Actually, you can.

Do tell, I have not run into anything like this.

Ironborn said:
Is there a class upgrade similar to the one you get on the Moon in the first game in ME2?
E.g. Bastion/Nemesis for the adept.
Also, is there any general consensus on which Class is Best yet?

Other than Charge and Drone sucking? No

Quicksilva said:
So have you guys actually played Vanguard? There seems to be a lot of hate being thrown around for charge but I just want to know if you guys have tried it or just "think" it won't be useful. I am 15 hours into the game as a Vanguard and I love charge. I will admit it does have to be used very tactfully as if you just charge in randomly you get absolutely rinsed, but if you use your team mates to control people and pick a good flanking position from your enemy targets you can decimate a whole group of enemies in seconds. Not to mention there's nothing cooler than charging a frozen target!

I haven't unlocked level 4 of the ability yet though. I think the slow motion ability when you land your charge will be awesome!

I have used it, as well as a couple of others. On anything higher than normal, you will get REAMED. On Insane, enemies will wipe you out in the 2/3 seconds you spend out of cover.

God damn it. I can't decide between this or NMH2 right now. Under normal circumstances this would win over. My problem is I'm just about to wrap up Dragon Age with close to 100 hours invested. I know I will love this game, but I don't want to feel burned out by jumping in right away into another BioWare RPG. I almost feel like I need a palete cleanser, a nice mindless action game like NMH2, before getting sucked into another epic RPG right now. Crap.

Truant

Shinjitsu said:
How? I didn't see any way it was possible.

If you flirt it up with both Jack and Miranda, and side with either of them in their little girlfight, the other one will tell you to fuck off and you'll lose loyalty. At least that's what happened to me with Miranda.

Shinjitsu said:
How? I didn't see any way it was possible.

On a couple of occasions a pair of characters will have it out, and you have to break them up. It's possible to paragon or renegade your way out of having to chose between them. If you don't have the points for either, you have to chose to support one of them, and the other will lose loyalty for you. It's possible to go back and talk to them later and paragon (and maybe) renegade them back into being loyal.

If you want to know the characters who are at risk of losing their loyalty:
Jack vs. Miranda
Tali vs. Legion

Edit:
Truant said:
If you flirt it up with both Jack and Miranda, and side with either of them in their little girlfight, the other one will tell you to fuck off and you'll lose loyalty. At least that's what happened to me with Miranda.

I don't think it has to do with flirting, as I played a female Shepard and they still went at it.

Zeliard

Quicksilva said:

I've been playing as Vanguard but I must admit that I've rarely used charge so far. It's powerful but it can be very risky on higher difficulties. I want to mess with it more, though, as I build up health and armor.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Truant said:

So Miranda died during your final mission?

Cep

Banned
foomfoom415 said:
On a couple of occasions a pair of characters will have it out, and you have to break them up. It's possible to paragon or renegade your way out of having to chose between them. If you don't have the points for either, you have to chose to support one of them, and the other will lose loyalty for you. It's possible to go back and talk to them later and paragon (and maybe) renegade them back into being loyal.

If you want to know the characters who are at risk of losing their loyalty:
Jack vs. Miranda
Tali vs. Legion

Oh, but who would be stupid enough not to chose the Paragon/Renegade options?

Weenerz

Banned
This Terminus armor code bullshit is retarded. I totally forgot I had a stupid EA account with a different address, so I registered it with a new account and now I can't get the stupid armor. I realize they wanted to make it so only new purchases got this DLC, but it really fucks people up having to go through all these loops.

If someone has a Terminus armor code they won't use, I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands :D

Also has
Zaeed - The Price of Revenge unlocked for anyone yet? I check my DLC menu option in-game and it only shows the Normany Crash Site

Truant

Shinjitsu said:
So Miranda died during your final mission?

Bitch had it coming.

Cep said:

Requires a pretty high P/R count, so if you're playing as a balanced character, you can't select either.

LowParry

Zeliard said:
There's Easy, Normal, Veteran, Hardcore, Insanity

Normal is probably too easy if you're used to shooters at all, or have played through the first Mass Effect. It's best to go with one of the higher difficulties so that you're encouraged to vary up your tactics.

Hrmmm. I think I may start Hardcore.

Cep said:
Do tell, I have not run into anything like this.

Other than Charge and Drone sucking? No

I have used it, as well as a couple of others. On anything higher than normal, you will get REAMED. On Insane, enemies will wipe you out in the 2/3 seconds you spend out of cover.

I found charge to be EXTREMELY useful for just that reason. When enemies are closing in on you, it's huge to be able to target an enemy a ways off and charge out of there. It's not something that you'll want to use often, especially at higher difficulties, but it can be a real life saver. Power it up and its nuts.

Cep said:

I didn't have enough Paragon/Renegade option the first time and lost the loyalty of
Jack. But I was able to regain it later by going and talking to her and paragon-ing her back to loyalty.

Cep

Banned
foomfoom415 said:
I found charge to be EXTREMELY useful for just that reason. When enemies are closing in on you, it's huge to be able to target an enemy a ways off and charge out of there. It's not something that you'll want to use often, especially at higher difficulties, but it can be a real life saver. Power it up and its nuts.

On insane, chances are the enemy you jumped to will wipe you out.

Tech Armor, Singularity and Tactical Cloak are all better than charge.

Luckily enough, the Vanguard does not need charge to be viable, but it and Drone are the two weakest powers.

Truant said:
I romanced Tali, but how are the other ones? Does Jack lose the tough guy attitude?

From what I've seen it depends on your paragon/renegade level. There are two different scenarios.

Cep said:
On insane, chances are the enemy you jumped to will wipe you out.

I've just started my Insane play through and only found that to be the case if a second enemy was within range of the enemy I charged. Otherwise I could take out the enemy I charged pretty quickly and be back in cover almost instantly. I suspect it will grow harder later on and I wouldn't charge an enemy with a full Armor+Shield/Barrier setup. Still, like I said it's not something you will use very often, but it remains a viable option that can be really useful.

Cep

Banned
Truant said:
Well I have a thing for turning around tough chicks.

If you get far enough with the third LI, do Miranda and Jack Back off? I want to befriend them, but they seem to want something more, but my Shep is spoken for.

Truant said:
Bitch had it coming.

Requires a pretty high P/R count, so if you're playing as a balanced character, you can't select either.

Cannot claim that my character is balanced(I play as myself, and I am a pretty accommodating dude) but if you leave their missions until last, you should have enough R/P points by then.

Truant

Cep said:
If you get far enough with the third LI, do Miranda and Jack Back off? I want to befriend them, but they seem to want something more, but my Shep is spoken for.

After I said 'You're the one' to Tali, Jack wouldn't even talk to me anymore. Clicking her just gave me a 'FUCK YOU!'.

Ponti

Just completed my first playthrough... END SCENE SPOILERS
That was A LOT of Reapers at the end, how the hell are they going to destroy all of them? :lol

Truant

Ponti said:
That was A LOT of Reapers at the end, how the hell are they going to destroy all of them? :lol

Shepard: Can't we just all get along?

Cep

Banned
Truant said:
After I said 'You're the one' to Tali, Jack wouldn't even talk to me anymore. Clicking her just gave me a 'FUCK YOU!'.

I can see that.

Shit, I cannot believe that their depths are locked behind a romance.

I hate that.

Truant said:
After I said 'You're the one' to
Tali, Jack
wouldn't even talk to me anymore. Clicking her just gave me a 'FUCK YOU!'.
Spoiler tags added. I dunno if those count as spoilers, but I'd hate to have that information before I played the game.

I get that from her in the post-game as a female Shepard, even before I romanced anyone. I might have flirted a bit with Kelly or Thane though.

undu

OMG Aero said:
Amazon are giving my Mass Effect 2 order a delivery estimate of Feb 1st.
I hate you all. :(
Mine's not arriving until the 4th.

I already feel the hype eating me inside out :(

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
*salt in wound*

I've already said it in the story thread, but ME2 is leagues better than DA. Pacing, story, action, gameplay, cinematics characters, FUCK...even the loading is 10 times faster.

The game is so good, I find it hard that anything is going topple it for GOTY 2010. It's THAT freaking good! I'm serious. I'm picking ME2 over FF13, GoW, MAG, Heavy Rain, EVERYTHING. I am just blown away by how Bioware crafted this game. They rarely do sequels (usually, Obsidian did them), but when they do, hooooly shit!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ponti said:

Interrupt button out the fucking galactic window THAT'S HOW !

Zinga

Banned
I'm really pumped for this game!! :D bought the Steam version weeks ago, not really happy though because they are making people outside of North America wait until the 29th whilst North American Steam customers get it on the 26th :( kinda sucks that in the digital age they still wish to keep such arbitrary release dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom