• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

mileS

Snapshot King said:
It runs unbelievably well. Makes ME1 look like a joke. Seriously, runs about 60fps at all times except for giant explosive firefights with settings maxed on my midrange system, whereas ME1 choked and sputtered and had sound issues. Hell, it runs much better than Bioshock 1, or Dragon Age.

For people with the PC version how is the performance after forcing AA? Is it true all you have to do is rename the .exe? (ATI) I probably shouldn't even worry about it because my PC should at least let me force 4xAA without frame drops.

Aderes

Neo Member
I am really impressed with the sound design in this game, I'm watching a few gameplay videos and oh my god all the little effects and clinks and clanks are just perfectly made.

CE guide ordered!

51BbrpvJRqL.jpg

wRATH2x

Banned
Wrath2X said:
OK guys so how much does the gametrailers review spoil? I watched the IGN one which didn't spoil me.
^^^^^

Almost all of my posts have been ignored here :lol

Oh and are Faunts back? (without spoiling of course!)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
still another two days and 14 hours until Steam unlocks my copy (hooray for the AU store!)

Wrath2X said:
^^^^^

i haven't watched it, but it's a gametrailers review. trust me, DON'T watch it before you play it.

Naeblish

Rez said:
tom bramwell's reviews are always so much nicer than the usual by numbers shit. i couldn't make it through the whole team xbox review.
Really? I found it hard to read, partly because english isn't my first language. I'm also more interested in what he actually thought of the game, instead of him explaining what ME2 is all about.
I prefer Kristian Reed for RPG reviews.

Dries

So I'm planning on playing Mass Effect 2 straight after I finish DragonAge. But is this a good idea? Playing 2 epic RPG's right after another? There even from the same developer and all. Do you think I'm all right or will I be wanting more variety? Help me out here :lol

Truant

mileS said:
For people with the PC version how is the performance after forcing AA? Is it true all you have to do is rename the .exe? (ATI) I probably shouldn't even worry about it because my PC should at least let me force 4xAA without frame drops.

I experimented with all the different UE3 compability modes in nHancer. They are very different, I got from max 20 fps to a constant 60, depending on which mode I selected. I'll check exactly which one I went with when I get home.

Pankaks said:
So awesome....

Goodbye thread, I'll be back once I've beaten the game :D.

http://i45.tinypic.com/23hxhts.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
Cool!

[QUOTE=Subitai]I'm a West Wing fan sound it feels to me like I'm always talking to the president. :lol[/QUOTE]
Haven't started the game, but from the previews and trailers, I feel exactly the same way.

Wrath2X said:
OK guys so how much does the gametrailers review spoil? I watched the IGN one which didn't spoil me.

Most of the first couple of developments of the game, but the footage they use to fill the ten minute (TEN MINUTES?!?!) review gives away a lot of the cooler scenes.

But if you've seen the IGN review why even bother with the gametrailers review? Are you really on the fence about this game? :lol If you're one of those impatient types who has consumed every bit of media/trailer released for the game out of anticipation, you already know way too much about the game IMO. :lol BioWare's marketing REALLY overdid it.

Swag

Dries said:
So I'm planning on playing Mass Effect 2 straight after I finish DragonAge. But is this a good idea? Playing 2 epic RPG's right after another? There even from the same developer and all. Do you think I'm all right or will I be wanting more variety? Help me out here :lol

The games are different enough to enjoy consecutively

mileS

Wrath2X said:
^^^^^

Yea i'm with Rez on this one. Haven't watched it but I already know just because its GameTrailers.

Hype is maxed out right now. Just caught up with the last 10 pages of the thread and I have that faunts track from the first Mass Effect on repeat. Picking up the PC CE later on today but I won't be able to play it until after work. At least it will give me a nice long time to decide what class to play first.

Mr_Zombie

Damn you people who are playing this game right now, damn you.
We still have to wait until Friday for the release. :(

My 60 lvl Paragon Engineer can't wait any longer for another adventure.

Dries

How is the OST? Still that atmospheric/blade runner esque style?

Sebulon3k said:
The games are different enough to enjoy consecutively

I hope you're right, cause I also see a lot of similarities.

gillty

Banned
Shinjitsu said:
So Miranda died during your final mission?
so couldn't except first result, second time through (had to go back 4 hours because I forgot to save), got a much better ending.

1st time through:

All crew loyal except Miranda (was about 80% paragon so couldn't save her, which sucked)
All ship upgrades except for the medical bay.
For the suicide mission I did:
Miranda leading the second team, Jacob in the tube. Jacob DEAD.
Then Samara leading the other team while Jack did the biotic shield. Samara dies WTF.
I sent the crew back with Mordin.
Put Miranda in charge of holding back collectors, Miranda DIES :sadface.

In total Lost: Jacob, Samara, and Miranda =/
I saved the collectors base, kinda shitty decision.

was pretty pissed,
really like Samara & Jacob as characters + female Shepard was loosing out possibly on some hot Miranda action next game. SO PISSED.

so I went back and did the last 4 hours again, but this time it took much longer because I mined until I got all the armor & weapon upgrades too (which unlike another poster didn't end up helping)

2nd time)
All crew loyal except Jack (not like I cared :lol )
All ship upgrades except for the medical bay, and all weapon & armor (EXCEPT final TECH/BIOTIC upgrades)
Jack leading the second team, Legion in the tube. Legion DIES.
Then Jack leading the other team while Samara did the biotic shield. JACK dies HAHA PZ OUT.
I sent the crew back with Tali.
Put Miranda in charge of holding back collectors, she lives :)

Destroyed collector base, Illusive man pissed haha.

overall much better result, except Legions death which was a cool character/plot point.

Paracelsus

What's gaf consensus about longevity? Can you beat it in 10-15 hrs like the first one or there's much more meat in the main quest? I don't mind it being less of a rpg as long as there's stuff to do.

nib95

Banned
Only a few hours in to ME2 and already I can tell you it's just so much more polished and engrossing than the first. The production values are orders of magnitude better. You'll know as much from the first half hour of the game. Everything is "bigger and better", but not just visually. In terms of information and back story as well. I swear I just spent half an hour listening to and reading my Codex to get an insight in to the magnificent world and characters. It's seriously deep stuff.

Combat feels more refined as well, with everything just feeling a bit more satisfying. The sounds in this game are fantastic too. Surround sound bumped up, all the weird electrical hymns, clicks and buzzes just put a grin to your face. Like when an assault rifle is down to it's last few rounds, the weird sound it makes is just pure audio candy.

I can tell this game is going to be special. No negatives to report yet except one tint segment where the frame rate did drop pretty heavily, but I'd imagine it is going to a rarity, especially in comparison to the first game. Art direction by the way, big improvement. Game has even more of a sci-fi cinematic appeal to it.

Any questions fire away.

I had Mass Effect Revelation (the first book... events leading up to ME1) sitting on the shelf for a year or two. Finally started reading it. I'm gonna try to get through both books before I start playing but I doubt I'll end up being that disciplined with the game in my hand :lol

But I really do love the book so far. I think it would be awesome if they let Peter Jackson decide to use whatever material he wanted from the 2 games and the 3 books (theres another coming later this year) and let him write the screenplay/direct the movie(s).

Truant

Paracelsus said:
What's gaf consensus about longevity? Can you beat it in 10-15 hrs like the first one or there's much more meat in the main quest? I don't mind it being less of a rpg as long as there's stuff to do.

I skipped a lot of stuff and I clocked in at 29 hours.

Paracelsus said:

I did all the missions I could find, including a few found while scanning unexplored planets (though I imagine there are quite a few left as I only mined a bit). Revisited all the non-combat areas a couple of times hoping for new stuff in the stores.

My end time was a hair over 33 hours.

Valru said:
End game stuff

Reposting mine from a few pages back:

For everyone who has beaten it:
Who did you use in the various parts of the final mission, and who survived? What upgrades did you do to the ship?

My stats were:
All crew loyal (despite aforementioned tiff with Jack that I rectified).
All ship upgrades except for the medical bay.
Most weapon/team upgrades except for the ones that required eezo (tech/biotics)
Garrus leading the second team, Legion in the tube.
Then Miranda leading the other team while Jack did the biotic shield (didn't upgrade her Biotic as I didn't have enough eezo).
I sent the crew back with Mordin.
My levels didn't seem particularly high, but I didn't lose anyone.

My first time through I decided to save the Collector's base for Cerberus. Afterwords everyone seemed at odds with the decision, even the two Cerberus cheerleaders. I had a save at the beginning of the suicide stage so I ran through it again and blew it up this time. I like how pissed off the Illusive Martin Sheen was.

Has anyone played this with a character from ME1 who didn't let the counsel die? I sure get a lot of grief from that in this one. I'd love to see what the flipside is like. Unfortunately the default for a new game is that you let the counsel die.

Skilotonn said:
What?

WHAT?

YES!

There IS an LE hardcover guide!

Dude, you made my day! I've been asking about this for ages now! :D

Does it include art work?
Yup, it does include artwork and a section dedicated to interviews with the devs at BioWare.

Paracelsus said:

it took me exactly 24 hours, and I am not a sidequest-codex-reading kinda guy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I saved the council. It will be interested to see how it pans out.

ACE 1991

I'm floored at how amazingly well this game is being critically received. I figured high 90's, not the many perfect scores mass effect 2 is being handed.

Rez said:
I saved the council. It will be interested to see how it pans out.

Keep us posted; I'm pretty curious about this.

Also, it's been a while since I finished Mass Effect 1, but weren't there 3 options about what to do with the council?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Silicon Knight said:
Yup, it does include artwork and a section dedicated to interviews with the devs at BioWare.

Definitely getting it then.

But I just looked it up and saw that there are only about 30 more pages than the regular, which doesn't leave much for art - the ME1 artbook alone had over 420 pages , so I hope they have a pure artbook just as big for ME2...

Swag

foomfoom415 said:
Keep us posted; I'm pretty curious about this.

Also, it's been a while since I finished Mass Effect 1, but weren't there 3 options about what to do with the council?

Options are
Save the Council, Forget about the council, Focus on Sovereign

But I think you may also be thinking of maybe the choice to pick Udina / Anderson?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fuck you all, I still have to wait until Thursday morning. Stupid Australia.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
EatChildren said:
Fuck you all, I still have to wait until Thursday morning. Stupid Australia.
friday morning for me, damn steam store :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom