• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
corrosivefrost said:
I had this problem. I started a new game in ME one and got it to let me choose the career -- but I quit out before I actually landed on the first planet... after this, I was able to use my level 49 save.

When did you exactly quit when you started the new playthrough in ME 1?

kitzkozan

Lafiel said:
Funny enough, back then i was playing both w-rpgs and j-rpgs.
And story-wise i enjoyed both FF7 and BG2 about the same. Although, i haft to admit, j-rpgs story-wise tend to have gotten worse with age for me, while i have a greater appreciation for the storyline's of games such as planescape torment now.

That's the point. :D I found Xenogears to have an incredible story back in 1998,but boy do I think this game didn't age well at all. :lol When you lack perspective,you don't really have any choice but to find the jrpg storyline blueprint great.

It's similar to teen and casual moviegoer watching mainstream movies only and cursing masterpieces like Citizen Kane or artsy euro flicks(they have no clue as to what's going on or why most masterpiece are hardly accessible). :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm glad I didn't watch any story related videos for this, I've had a lot of nice surprises so far. Early game spoilers:
Meeting Tali + some Quarians (!) so early on was cool, she was one of my favorite squad mates (her and Garrus). She seemed to have matured, I was kind of shocked to see her barking orders and stuff. The "Arch Angel" was the first person I search for, I had no idea it was Garrus so when he revealed himself it was an awesome moment. He's a total fuckin badass now, so cool. I also found Project 0 but I'm not in love with her character or design so far.
Anyways, the presentation is just insane, the cutscenes look so much better than in ME1 and the story is great so far.

DevelopmentArrested said:
This is happening to a lot of people. happened to me too a few days ago. There's a few situations where the ME1 save simply wont import no matter waht you do (if its not on the original console if was played on, etc).

Well my save is from the same Console and hard drive too, no reason to be not working...

Dennis

Banned
Corky said:
I've heard of these fancy peripherals, I myself am looking to boost my fps in games, maybe ill invest as thou haseth
I am assuming you're making fun of me for listing something that does not impact the fps? Copy and paste, my friend.

Zeliard

UnluckyKate said:
The game seems to be full of terrible game design choices that were actually working very well in the first game.

I would seriously love to see a list of the things that are missing in Mass Effect 2 that were "working very well" in the first game.

T Ghost

Question: In 2007 I played ME1 and got distracted with sidequest and dialogues, played for over 10 hours and just until the part that you get your own ship. Is it worthy to finish just the main quest on ME1 before hitting ME2 or can I ignore ME1 and jump into ME2?

I just got ME2 from gamefly today in the mail.

Snuggler said:
I'm glad I didn't watch any story related videos for this, I've had a lot of nice surprises so far. Early game spoilers:
Meeting Tali + some Quarians (!) so early on was cool, she was one of my favorite squad mates (her and Garrus). She seemed to have matured, I was kind of shocked to see her barking orders and stuff. The "Arch Angel" was the first person I search for, I had no idea it was Garrus so when he revealed himself it was an awesome moment. He's a total fuckin badass now, so cool. I also found Project 0 but I'm not in love with her character or design so far.
Anyways, the presentation is just insane, the cutscenes look so much better than in ME1 and the story is great so far.

What I like the most about her is the very realistic fallout afterwards depending on your decisions. really well handled.

ONE other gripe, the Collectors are barely introduced as a threat, nothing in comparison to the way you meet the Geth and the Reapers in 1. I was basically like "Okay, if you say so. I guess I'll gather up some dudes or whatever."

Unless there's more coming of course.

chandoog said:
Ah .. that makes sense but I
opted to wait and be prepared, but there were a few people besides Chakwas there too, nameless background guys mostly .. I guess i'll try rushing in next time

I was really concerned with survival rates, so I put it off long enough to max out ship upgrades and get all loyalty.

My girlfriend is going to buy me this for my birthday this week! QUESTION.. I don't have to play the first game to enjoy this one right? storywise*

DennisK4 said:
It is true what they say about the RPG elements, weapons and mods - they have been reduced. Combat is much better.

It is still a fantastic game, though. The characters and sci-fi atmosphere of the game is unmatched. UNMATCHED. But like the french reviewers, I would have been happier if they had kept the stronger RPGness of the first game.

That's probably - with the scifi settings and locations - the thing that made me love Mass Effect so badly. If it's still on in this sequel, then I'm on.

kitzkozan

UnluckyKate said:
I read a couple of french reviews (french gaming journalists are far more honest than US reviewers in general) and it's the cold shower. They say the game is really linear, that weapons and mods management is really teared down, that the RPG aspect has been downed to the minium, exploration is gone, and that the gameplay as been focused way to much gunfight.

On the good side: gunfight have been improved a lot, realisation, cinematics, and voice acting is top notch...

The game seems to be full of terrible game design choices that were actually working very well in the first game. The dudes are asking why the hell did Bioware changes good things along with the bad one. It's like they removed and redone everything: and they done it wrong on so many points...

So GAF, please tell me that once more, french journalists are just being insanly unfair, or is it really not that terrible ? Maybe the general overhall/balance/feeling/experience is better than the original game... But I'm left ice cold down beside the hype train now.

I don't know if these french journalists are so honest. :lol Never forget that France is a special market,where japanese influence are very strong.Being french speaking myself,I do know that France has always been one step above everyone else when it came to discovering anime or manga (Dragonball was already huge in France back in 1993) and they love japanese game in general.

Their experience with wrpg might be more limited...

TheExodu5

Banned
Beowulf28 said:
Same thing is happening to me.

FIX THIS SHIT EA!

go to http://social.bioware.com

Profile -> Register Games, then register Mass Effect 2
Profile -> Redeem Promo Codes, then register the codes you got with the game
Profile -> Your registered game promotions, then download the DLC and install.

I guess just cancel the connection to the Cerebrus network in the meantime. =\

Does anybody yet know the rules regarding save files imports? Because I can't find anything concrete, and I need to know if I'm going have to replay ME1 again over the next few days. I have a saved Shephard, level 60. The first run through was done on my old console; the two subsequent runs were done on this new one. Will I be able to import that save file?

sweetvar26 said:
When did you exactly quit when you started the new playthrough in ME 1?

Somewhere in the intro before you land on the first planet and are thrust into combat...

My experience was actually something like this:

(1) Install ME2, make sure ME data available.
(2) Start ME2, no import option, WTF?!
(3) Go back to ME, DRE. Fuck.
(4) Eventually get ME up and running, finish the game again. Let it do it's auto save crap.
(5) Try to load career for "hardcore" playthrough -- once it started up and got moving, I hit start and cleared out asap to go try it on ME2 -- the only thing I remember were Udina and Anderson discussing Shepard.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
UnluckyKate said:
I read a couple of french reviews (french gaming journalists are far more honest than US reviewers in general) and it's the cold shower. They say the game is really linear, that weapons and mods management is really teared down, that the RPG aspect has been downed to the minium, exploration is gone, and that the gameplay as been focused way to much gunfight.

On the good side: gunfight have been improved a lot, realisation, cinematics, and voice acting is top notch...

The game seems to be full of terrible game design choices that were actually working very well in the first game. The dudes are asking why the hell did Bioware changes good things along with the bad one. It's like they removed and redone everything: and they done it wrong on so many points...

So GAF, please tell me that once more, french journalists are just being insanly unfair, or is it really not that terrible ? Maybe the general overhall/balance/feeling/experience is better than the original game... But I'm left ice cold down beside the hype train now.

ME2 is game of the fucking year.

The first one wasn't all that great.

Do they know what linearity even fucking means? 1/4 of the game through and you can pick whatever missions you want, you can decide to help your teammates in any order. When you go on a planet and get multiple missions, you can complete them in any order. You can visit locations any time you want too...

I also *like* the fact weapons and abilities and whatever are more toned down. There's more of a shooter feel with RPG elements instead of the other way around. Definitely brings the story and world into more focus instead of me nitpicking at my skills and shit.

Exploration was garbage. I didn't like doing missions in ME1 due to the reused warehouse area over and over again. It was ridiculous! Advanced civilization...living and working in the same building in different planets?!

I never finished ME1. I didn't care enough to. I guess my decisions would have a severe impact on my experience in ME2...but fuck it. ME2>>>>>>>ME1

UnluckyKate said:

while I think the amount of hyperbole GAF is throwing to this game is a bit ridiculous; those reviews seem to be the other end of the spectrum. Personally, I don't get saying "GOTY 2010!!11" after playing a game for 2 hours on January 26th. The game has been streamlined too much IMO: loot is non-existant and scanning is worse than the Mako. BUT, the dialogue, plotting and gunplay are far superior to ME1's. Jump aboard the hype train, just don't expect the same level of RPG as the first game (in before Zeilard)

burgerdog

Corky said:
I've heard of these fancy peripherals, I myself am looking to boost my fps in games, maybe ill invest as thou haseth
:lol :lol

Still waiting for ups. Why couldn't they deliver the game early for once, the wait is killing me.

Beowulf28

TheExodu5 said:
go to http://social.bioware.com

Profile -> Register Games, then register Mass Effect 2
Profile -> Redeem Promo Codes, then register the codes you got with the game
Profile -> Your registered game promotions, then download the DLC and install.

I guess just cancel the connection to the Cerebrus network in the meantime. =\
It won't even let me start the game without activating and thats where it won't work :/

So I got the collector's edition and I used to codes from the Cerberus Network card and the little papaer slip, but it seems like they downloaded the same content (same exact file name and size). Are they supposed to be for different things?

corrosivefrost said:
Somewhere in the intro before you land on the first planet and are thrust into combat...

My experience was actually something like this:

(1) Install ME2, make sure ME data available.
(2) Start ME2, no import option, WTF?!
(3) Go back to ME, DRE. Fuck.
(4) Eventually get ME up and running, finish the game again. Let it do it's auto save crap.
(5) Try to load career for "hardcore" playthrough -- once it started up and got moving, I hit start and cleared out asap to go try it on ME2 -- the only thing I remember were Udina and Anderson discussing Shepard.

Did you just quit to the dashboard or did you actually wait until the start feature was available? I can't hit start, its not working yet, all cut scenes going on right now.

while I think the amount of hyperbole GAF is throwing to this game is a bit ridiculous; those reviews seem to be the other end of the spectrum. Personally, I don't get saying "GOTY 2010!!11" after playing a game for 2 hours on January 26th. The game has been streamlined too much IMO: loot is non-existant and scanning is worse than the Mako. BUT, the dialogue, plotting and gunplay are far superior to ME1's. Jump aboard the hype train, just don't expect the same level of RPG as the first game (in before Zeilard)

How is loot nonexistent? Exploration of battle areas has netted me several upgrades already.

1-4535-93877-l-mpDYG8Xkuyh2pwPnaH2rLw.jpg

Here's a Shepard I made - her jaw is a little too harsh, but you can edit it a bit. IMO she's prettier than the ones posted here so far.

Code: 743.11L.F61.K84.9C6.163.2DR.415.EL7.AH6.2G6.475

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
That level of RPG was pretty low to begin with in ME. Which is making me hard to get some of the complaints against this game. Some of you. (mostly on other boards) are acting like the first game was somehow dues ex in terms of depth, and ME2 is the equivalent of IW.:lol

Keikoku

Banned
kitzkozan said:
I don't know if these french journalists are so honest. :lol Never forget that France is a special market,where japanese influence are very strong.Being french speaking myself,I do know that France has always been one step above everyone else when it came to discovering anime or manga (Dragonball was already huge in France back in 1993) and they love japanese game in general.

Their experience with wrpg might be more limited...

The guy who wrote this review generally just hates japanese games. He's a pure PC gamer. He gave Portal a 5/10 btw. This review is doing a lot of noise in the forums of this site (gamekult)
They also gave FFXIII a 7/10, same for LBP, etc.

Zeliard

I just don't think the RPG elements in the first were nearly significant enough (both in depth and quality) that their removal means, well, much of anything honestly. Mass Effect's RPGness comes from its character interactions, not the stats or the loot. At its gameplay heart, it's a shooter. The first one was just a bad shooter. This one's a very nice shooter.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Keikoku said:
The guy who wrote this review generally just hates japanese games. He's a pure PC gamer. He gave Portal a 5/10 btw. This review is doing a lot of noise in the forums of this site (gamekult)

It appears to me, that this person has bad taste, so his opinion is worthless.

I mean come on

BenjaminBirdie said:
How is loot nonexistent? Exploration of battle areas has netted me several upgrades already.

you consider weapon schematics as loot? Okay...

Zeliard said:
I just don't think the RPG elements in the first were nearly significant enough (both in depth and quality) that their removal means, well, much of anything honestly. Mass Effect's RPGness comes from its character interactions, not the stats or the loot. At its gameplay heart, it's a shooter. The first one was just a bad shooter. This one's a very nice shooter.
I agree, to an extent. But as broken as it was, I still preferred the item/inventory system in ME1 to the research mechanic in ME2.
I understand that some people prefer the game this way but I still think that it's incorrect to say that the game hasn't been streamlined; regardless of how little of a RPG ME1 was.

sweetvar26 said:
Did you just quit to the dashboard or did you actually wait until the start feature was available? I can't hit start, its not working yet, all cut scenes going on right now.

Sorry I don't remember better -- I was just spamming junk to make sure my game was seen as "complete" and that I could use it for importing.

I want to say I hit start and went into the menu system at first convenience to quit -- I remember finding quit for the game to get back to the title screen was hidden under "options>game" or something like that, so I don't think I just exited... but you could probably try it -- since it means there was a career that you could import, just exiting out might do it. :S

gillty

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
I was really concerned with survival rates, so I put it off long enough to max out ship upgrades and get all loyalty.
I'm thinking there are so many more variables, its going to take a while for some crazy fan to put a chart together or something.

personally I opted to prepare too (on my second play through), and every one on my ships crew was saved including kelly and the doctor

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
How do you get the CE armor? I made an account, reg the game, put in the code, it says I have it but in game I don't see it.

Also it's not letting me log in to my EA account through the game. WTH! Should I just ignore it for now? If I start a game now I should still be able to log in later and get my CE content?

GillianSeed79 said:
Is the codex narrator still in, or is it just text and no voice this time?
voice still in for primary. text for secondary again.

Warnen said:
How do you get the CE armor? I made an account, reg the game, put in the code, it says I have it but in game I don't see it.
like most bioware games using EA accounts, im assuming the DLC is kind of messed right now. I dont fucking understand why you cant just redeem code in the XBL to get the Collectors shit.

SlaughterX said:
Also it's not letting me log in to my EA account through the game. WTH! Should I just ignore it for now? If I start a game now I should still be able to log in later and get my CE content?
yes you can get it later.

Swag

Subject Zero mission spoilers:

How the Feck are people getting past the room with the two mechs, and shit ton of guards. Keep getting sandwhiched by the mechs and the guards. Can't do shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom