• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
SimleuqiR said:
So I'm having problems importing my original Shepard into ME2 :-/

It says it can't find a valid ME1 Character in my harddrive, although is there.

Anyone else having this issue? Sorry, thread is rather long didn't search through it to see.

You need the Autosave file from right after you beat ME1. If you started a new game+ then you'll have to beat it again unless you have a save file right before saren.

fucking stupid decision imho.

SimleuqiR

ExtraKr1spy said:
You need the Autosave file from right after you beat ME1. If you started a new game+ then you'll have to beat it again unless you have a save file right before saren.

FUUUUUUUK!!!!!! That explains a lot. :-/

Thanks!

Zeliard

I know some message came up telling me, but I missed it. When you buy the little models to put in your room, where exactly are they after you've bought them?

hermit7

The only thing that I want to change is when you click import the decisions should show up before you select the career, not after the game starts to load.

Simo

Zeliard said:
I know some message came up telling me, but I missed it. When you buy the little models to put in your room, where exactly are they after you've bought them?

They're in the display case next your private terminal. It already has the Normandy SR2 inside and so far I've got the Normandy SR1, Geth dropship, Turian ship and the Destiny's Ascension.

Did anybody else buy the 2 ME novels, Revelations and Ascension, from the Citadel?:lol

Zeliard

Y2Kev said:
Where do you go to talk to the
Illusive Man
? Can you talk to him on the Normandy?

I think that's always triggered by the story progression, or a certain plot point.

Simo said:
They're in the display case next your private terminal. It already has the Normandy SR2 inside and so far I've got the Normandy SR1, Geth dropship, Turian ship and the Destin'y Ascension.

Ah thanks.

Gilgamesh

Does anyone know how to disable the frame rate smoothing on the Steam version? I can't find the ini file for it anywhere and nothing else I'm trying works.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Solo said:
Holy shit, this game is fucking TERRIBAD
ASS

Like, its literally an improvement on everything in the original so far. Given that I hold the first in such high regard, that’s the highest praise I can give. Ive only logged 3 hours so far, and have done the intro,
Freedom’s whats-it-called, visited the Normandy wreck (which I thought was really well done; poor Mako!), and have just landed on Omega
. The combat is much slicker and feels better than ever before (and the vanguard charge is so fucking awesome), the visuals really feel like they’ve had a ton of upgrades (Im especially impressed with how incredible the facial animation is now during conversations; there are times when I can really see Yvonne Strahovski in Miranda), and the plotting and cutscenes are, as expected, living up to the great cinematic standard that the first game set. Most importantly, the new characters are working great so far, and I love the nods to older characters (just a subtle touch like Ashley’s picture in my quarters goes a long way; by the way, how awesome are the captain’s quarters?). Then the little details like the galaxy map and loot and shit are all better than in the first. Ive already spent an ungodly amount of time tweaking the look of my armor, reading/listening to the codex, and chatting up Jacob and Miranda.

Pretty much living up to all the ridiculous hype I had in my head. Got a few busy days coming up, so having to wait until the weekend to resume is going to be killer :( Especially since I saved parked right outside of
Afterlife
, which looks like its probably going to be the most awesome location in the whole game (what can I say? I loves me some seedy space bars).

*bow* Bioware *bow*

I know, right? :D

I swear, I was so ridiculously hyped before the game came out, and it STILL managed to top whatever expectations I had from just the first hour.

I've four hours in now, and I did just what you did - spent about half or more of that time talking to people, reading and admiring the gorgeous world, art and architecture - wow man.

And I still can't believe how much better the graphics look in this game - incredible, seriously.

I also really love how the hacking mini-games were done - brilliantly designed and really give you that feel of hacking, and once you're used to it, they can be done very quickly, and it feels way more immersive than just pressing face buttons from the controller.

And can I say that it took me a while to get used to the fact that the instant I hit the Save button I'm instantly (really instantly) back into the game and move around as usual without having to wait till the save is done, and still have to back out to get back to the game like in ME1? I have over 900 saves in ME1, and this is like a godsend, without even realizing how much it was a hindrance to begin with.

Little thing I always loved about saving in ME - the tons of cool pictures with the light flaring effect that go with the save files are back again! For some strange reason I thought that they wouldn't be back but there they are - awesome :)

BioWare seriously improved the game in every which way possible, even in ways we never thought about that needed improving. I love these guys! :D

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Anyone find out what the special reward from mass effect galaxy would be? Anyone receive their inferno armor codes from amazon.com?

This game will be my whole weekend:D

Simo

Solo said:
Im totally in love with Shepard's bachelor pad captain quarters :lol Love the ME1 music at your fingertips and the fishtank.

I know! I think it took my second visit to the cabin to notice I had a holo-photo of Ashley on the desk by the terminal, since she was my LI from ME1. :D Little details like that I love and I just love spending time wandering the ship, which is neat when you get new squad mates because more of it opens up.

I think Martin Sheen should get more respect for his performance. Not only did he step into a sequel that he probably had zero background of, he also stepped into the completely alien world of videogame production. That's uncharted waters for even the best of them, yet at nearly 70 years old he nails it perfectly. He also seems to show genuine enthusiasm for the project in the trailers... as if he may even sit down to play it! My hat goes off to you, Mr President.

Lucc

Solo said:
Its weird. The Normandy is almost the same as ME1's, yet it has a level of detail and finesee to it that just wasnt there in the first game. Plus, there are two floors which didnt exist on the first one. Im REALLY loving the Normandy.

And yes, it runs a shitton better on 360 this time. Im not seeing any of that godawful pop-in from the first yet, and the framerate is much more stable. Great work all around.

new and old normandy
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/Ciupy7/normandy2scale.jpg

I got this game on Saturday and I've played about 20 hours yet I think I still have about 10 more to go. There is a shit load to do!

Einbroch said:
Here's what you get when you beat ME2:

- 25% bonus EXP on any New Game/New Game+ started afterwards
- Bonus (as in 50000) in each resource on any NG/NG+ afterwards
- Bonus credits on any NG/NG+ afterwards
- All heavy weapons acquired on any NG/NG+ afterwards
- All weapons acquired on any NG+ afterwards
- You keep your level if you play NG+

There. That's what you get. Seeing that, it's almost pointless to play New Game+ if you have any interest in trying a new class.

It turns out that you don't actually get to keep your weapons without a NG+. The game gave me a prompt telling me they gave them to me, but I checked and don't actually have them. You definitely get the bonus talent, money, and minerals though.

eek5

Shinjitsu said:
No you only get those bonuses if you import a Mass Effect save at level 50 or 60.

And don't you also start the newgame+ with the bonus talent unlocked from the start?
After you beat the game any new game you start will have those bonuses (basically new game + without level/weapons)

Basileus777 said:
It turns out that you don't actually get to keep your weapons without a NG+. The game gave me a prompt telling me they gave them to me, but I checked and don't actually have them. You definitely get the bonus talent, money, and minerals though.

Yeah I was disappointed to see that. Although getting them again isn't a huge deal it'd be nice if I didn't have to.

Zeliard

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I think Martin Sheen should get more respect for his performance. Not only did he step into a sequel that he probably had zero background of, he also stepped into the completely alien world of videogame production. That's uncharted waters for even the best of them, yet at nearly 70 years old he nails it perfectly. He also seems to show genuine enthusiasm for the project in the trailers... as if he may even sit down to play it! My hat goes off to you, Mr President.

Yeah, Martin Sheen is deliciously menacing in the role.

ExtraKr1spy said:

Just to be clear, if I completed a playthrough in ME1 and have not started another one since, I should be able to import my character successfully, right?

Messi

I NEED SCISSORS said:

13yjii0.jpg

Wow, 70 years old huh? He is pretty darn amazing in everything he is in. I hope ME2 is no different.

MMaRsu

I NEED SCISSORS said:

Certainly true, Sheen does a great job. I've always liked him as an actor, just as his kid.

TheExodu5

Banned
The writing is so much better in ME2.

Maybe not the most prime example, but I laughed my ass off at the face he made...too bad I didn't quite capture it...he looked really angry right before I took the shot :lol

loljoker.png

P.S. does anyone know if it's possible to get rid of the bloom in this game? Like just look at the shot above...he's glowing for god sakes. I want it off! :(

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I haven't finished the first Mass Effect, but the gameplay of the second game appeals to me. Is playing the first game a necessity to play the second? Or can I just get by wiking the first game?

Zzoram

So apparently Mass Effect 2 PC DLC is downloaded from the Bioware Social website in my browser as a .exe installer? Didn't Dragon Age: Origins DLC get downloaded from an in-game DLC interface? This seems like a step backwards.

TheExodu5

Banned
OneEightZero said:
I haven't finished the first Mass Effect, but the gameplay of the second game appeals to me. Is playing the first game a necessity to play the second? Or can I just get by wiking the first game?

You can probably get by with a Wiki. There's really not much to the story in the first game, and the Codex should walk you through the universe.

The first game isn't that great, IMO (beat it for the first time last week). ME2 surpasses it in every way imaginable.

Zzoram said:
So apparently Mass Effect 2 PC DLC is downloaded from the Bioware Social website in my browser as a .exe installer? Didn't Dragon Age: Origins DLC get downloaded from an in-game DLC interface? This seems like a step backwards.

Yeah, especially since you need to be connected to Cerberus anyways.

Zeliard

TheExodu5 said:
You can probably get by with a Wiki. There's really not much to the story in the first game, and the Codex should walk you through the universe.

The first game isn't that great, IMO (beat it for the first time last week). ME2 surpasses it in every way imaginable.

The most important thing to know about the first game's story prior to starting ME2 is how it ends. If nothing else, that's what you want to get a decent grasp of.

Dan Yo

Banned
For those of you having issues importing your Mass Effect 1 character, did you use the infinite paragon/renegade glitches in Mass Effect 1? I remember someone from Bioware saying that using that glitch and achieving a full meter for both paragon and renegade would render that character unqualified for transfer.

First Borderlands, and now Mass Effect 2. I know both of these game are console focused, but I don't understand how developers can port a game to the PC and not add something as simple as mouse wheel support.

Zzoram said:

Dragon Age is a PC game ported to the consoles, and also uses that in-game interface to handle mods. EA/Bioware probably felt that it wasn't worth it to add that just for the PC version.

My copy of ME2 remains untouched as I speed through the first one again.

Slugging through ME1 again really exacerbates some of the issues the first game had. Countless times I've been one-shoted by geth snipers thanks to the dodgy cover system. Also having to convert everything to omni-gels because my inventory's hit 150 is just an otherworldly pain in the ass.

So glad they've apparently fixed these in the sequel.

Loam

So minor story question for those of you who got past the 'Archangel' story section.
If I chose the dialog option 'Lets get out of here' instead of 'Lets finish this' (or something like that) would Garrus have still ended up as Swiss Cheese?

Zzoram

Red Blaster said:

Slugging through ME1 again really exacerbates some of the issues the first game had. Countless times I've been one-shoted by geth snipers thanks to the dodgy cover system. Also having to convert everything to omni-gels because my inventory's hit 150 is just an otherworldly pain in the ass.

Inventory clutter and dying in 1 shot to snipers/rockets were my biggest annoyances with the first game. Now that the game has a proper and refined shooting mechanic, I won't mind snipers/rockets as much. The reduction in loot will help the inventory.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
jab59k.jpg

Dan Yo

Banned
Red Blaster said:

Same here. This is torture. Although I'm trying to speed through, I'm also taking great care to make sure I finish every side quest.

Right now I'm using the lack of Zaeed in the 360 version as a justification to myself for holding off on opening this brand new copy of ME2 staring me in the face and continuing through ME1. Sorry excuse, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom