• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
neojubei said:
Anyone use any of the Dr. Pepper codes?

I tried to use one, but when I got to the download page it didn't give me the option for Mass Effect 2 content. Only Battlefield, Spore and the Sims.

So basically I wasted a buck fifty, because I don't own any of those games, and I gave the Dr. Pepper to my sister.

This has to be the most convoluted DLC strategy ever.

PEZIX

Banned
Ammo clips,... thats so.. ME2?? haha how the hell do the weapons get shittyr than they were in ME1? I mean your armor is better the girls are better but fuck we forgot the energy cores on the normandy here use some phaser bullets? :lol

Saterium

Without any spoilers, can anyone tell me what the 'point of no return' is for sidequests? Maybe just a location name or uh... I dunno, something that won't spoil it but I know not to go there =P

eek5

Saterium said:
Without any spoilers, can anyone tell me what the 'point of no return' is for sidequests? Maybe just a location name or uh... I dunno, something that won't spoil it but I know not to go there =P

You can still do side quests after you beat the game (not sure about loyalty quests) The last mission is once you hit the omega 4 relay though

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
PEZIX said:
Ammo clips,... thats so.. ME2?? haha how the hell do the weapons get shittyr than they were in ME1? I mean your armor is better the girls are better but fuck we forgot the energy cores on the normandy here use some phaser bullets? :lol
Its still not 'ammo' hur hur. Guns got better, and thats why the alliance upgraded to heat sinks.

Oh yeah another thing.... Eject heat sinks before your weapon overheats. Save yourself a good amount of time when it comes to reloading.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I have to admit that the interior of the SR2 Normandy is my fantasy made reality. The ship design is probably one of the best I've seen in video games to date. The experience of walking around the Normandy is the same type of feel when I watch BSG or Star Trek and see the actor walk around the fictional ship. I like how some of the areas of the ship are locked until you do certain missions because it keeps up the level of amazement of how intricate the ship is designed. I have to applaud the design team that put so much effort into the SR2 Normandy, it is so much grandeur than the SR1. The bits of dialog from the crew is fantastic and entertaining.

painey

The experience system is really poor imo.. you get 125 exp for a sidemission, regardless if you kill 100 enemies or 1. Added to the fact theres no loot, it kinda makes them rather pointless.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
holy shit at improvments they made :D game looks so good and it runs so well i cant believe its bioware game:lol shooting mechanics and guns feel alot better,leveling also improved a bit .everyting is nearly perfect except story progressiion 6 hours in and i spent most of it for recruiting what the hell

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
painey said:
The experience system is really poor imo.. you get 125 exp for a sidemission, regardless if you kill 100 enemies or 1. Added to the fact theres no loot, it kinda makes them rather pointless.

Its a good system in an RPG where you can avoid combat. VtM did it well. But being primarily a shooter, it doesnt really work as well with ME2. Wonder if the boring mobs and filler combat of DA rears its head further in. Hopefully nothing as bad as the Deep Roads.

DY_nasty

painey said:
There is loot. Not all the time, but there is damned good loot in certain side missions. Also, any Element Zero that you pick up in a mission means that that mission wasn't a waste.

I'm not talking about "Help me find my lost locket Shep!" missions though, just to be clear. You're not going get too much out of that. But some of the planetside missions lead from one to another, to another, to another, until you get to an eventual conclusion - and a lot of good shit along the way.

Deadly

While the game is amazing, I did find a couple of bugs. The one where you'd run and then suddenly be in the air and not be able to go back on the ground especially sucked. Also the lack of mouse scrolling was abit crappy too.

george_us

Just got it and I'm loving the hell out of it right now. one thing I really like about it is how it feels so much sleeker and faster then a lot of RPGs out there. That's the only way I can put it into words. Reminds me of Chrono Trigger in some ways. Combat, while not as smooth as something like Gears of War or Uncharted (and what isn't these days), is still miles better than the terrible combat in the first game. The graphics and art style are fucking phenomenal too.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
10 hours in...this game makes the first game looks like it was made by babies or something. I couldn't stay interested in the first one (never finished).

This game is so so so so good.

I'm going to fuck the shit out of Kelly the moment she stops playing hard to get, damnit!

DY_nasty

Sebulon3k said:
Samara Samara Samara
Did you do her loyalty quest and keep talking to her on the Normandy? She seems shallow at first, and her design is somewhat lacking (the alternate outfit for her is good), but she really opens up... I loved her character by the end of the game. Miranda? ugh. Also, she can get you another party member. Which is just as good as she is, if not better.

Swag

DY_nasty said:
Did you do her loyalty quest and keep talking to her on the Normandy? She seems shallow at first, and her design is somewhat lacking (the alternate outfit for her is good), but she really opens up... I loved her character by the end of the game. Miranda? ugh. Also, she can get you another party member. Which is just as good as she is, if not better.

I talked to her once on the Normandy, haven't done her loyalty yet. But fuck that first conversation put me off her so bad. Finding it really hard to get interested in her character, outside of the
Criminal on the ATM ( ?? ) ship

ultron87

3 hours in, loving it so far.

Archangel recruitment spoiler:

So is there any way for Garrus not to get messed up by the gunship in his recruitment mission? I mean he seems to be handling it fine so far, but I'm just curious if I messed up somewhere along the way and didn't realize it.

DY_nasty said:
Grunt is awesome.

Fuck Miranda. She's probably the weakest overall character in the party...

Wrong. Her combination of Warp/Overload and SMG are all excellent.

Jacob/Subject Zero/Tali are all infinitely weaker/more useless. Miranda is a good character to have in the party... in fact, she's in my party 95% of the time.

Lucc

anyone actually pulled the
asshole
move in samaras loyality quest
and picked the daughter?
:lol

favorite shepard so far

16a2zyq.jpg

fuck miranda^^

Swag

corrosivefrost said:
Wrong. Her combination of Warp/Overload and SMG are all excellent.

Jacob/Subject Zero/Tali are all infinitely weaker/more useless. Miranda is a good character to have in the party... in fact, she's in my party 95% of the time.

I'm sorry but wut?

Or do you mean purely from a combat stand point? Even then her Shockwave is immensely useful when clearing up some clustered set pieces

Zeliard said:
How's Grunt's loyalty quest? I'm doing Mordin's right now and will do Grunt's right after, since it's on the same planet.

It's weird -- could be difficult, i suppose, depending on your load out and how you handle things...
it's just one big combat arena with a few waves of beats... the dogs, the crabs, then a thresher maw

DY_nasty

Zeliard said:
How's Grunt's loyalty quest? I'm doing Mordin's right now and will do Grunt's right after, since it's on the same planet.
Grunt has a damned fun loyalty quest.
corrosivefrost said:
Wrong.

I'm talking story wise. Miranda is great in just about any party. As long as she stays her ass off the front lines...

Samara isn't to be ignored... as a matter of fact, if you don't like her. Do her loyalty quest as soon as you get the chance.

Coop

Zeliard said:

I thought Grunt's was the weakest one. It's not bad but it wasn't anything interesting.

DY_nasty

Einbroch said:
The two engineers down in the engineering room have a, er..."cute" relationship. Wish they had more game time.
Go down there after every ship upgrade and party addition. They're hilarious.

"Tali can't hear us with that bucket on her head... I like her though and how that suit is nice and tuck in all the right places"

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Decided to call EB today to see if they were letting it go early, no dice. Hillariously I called at the exact same time the girl in the store had my name on her computer screen, ready to call, to let me know to come in tomorrow.

But seriously you guys should just stop posting.

Foil

I love all the random things NPC's have to say. Funny stuff with the
game salesman Salarian on the Citadel telling you to trade in games to get a new one.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
neojubei said:
Anyone use any of the Dr. Pepper codes?
Not up yet, people are saying it goes up the 28th.

WhiskeyKnight said:
I tried to use one, but when I got to the download page it didn't give me the option for Mass Effect 2 content. Only Battlefield, Spore and the Sims.

So basically I wasted a buck fifty, because I don't own any of those games, and I gave the Dr. Pepper to my sister.

This has to be the most convoluted DLC strategy ever.
Did you claim a DLC code? If you didn't, just click the sign in button at the redeem page and then click code history to claim ME2 DLC when it goes up.

IoCaster

Wow...ten hours just blew right by. Mordin's an awesome character and it's good to have Garrus back on my squad. I just picked up Jack and I can tell she's going to be a shitload of fun to fuck with. I have to shut it down for the night, but I can't wait to pick it back up tomorrow. Bioware has been on a bit of a roll with ME, DA:O and now ME2. Good times!

Don't know if anyone else has run in to this problem, maybe someone here can help.

I got the PC version of ME2. The configure utility import ME1 saves option doesn't recognize my ME1 saves.

any ideas?

Edit: I just moved my ME1 saves in to the ME2/me1 saves folder and it worked.

It's a shame that most biotics are useless on insanity due to the fact that they can't be used on enemies with armor or shields. Warp is still good, but that's about it.

It's why Miranda is the most useful party member. She has the most useful powers (warp/overload) and passive ability.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wasted a shitload of time just going around Omega doing side quests and buying stuff, haha. I think the upgrade system makes a lot more sense than the annoying inventory in the last game.

Oh, and despite getting all of the DLC items XBL put up early, I don't want to use them because you can't remove the helmet. Guess that's a good sign you're into a game when you care more about seeing your character over stat boosts! Regarding that, though, is there a quick way to equip/dequip a helmet? I put one on when I went to a planet before, but when I went to Omega he kept it on and when nobody else has one it looks kinda dumb. IIRC the first game let you toggle it somehow.

Despite having the DLC armors, I don't really see myself using them because of the damn helmets. If I had an ugly motherfucker for my Shepard maybe I'd use it but my Shepard is awesome.

Swag

Jamesfrom818 said:
Despite having the DLC armors, I don't really see myself using them because of the damn helmets. If I had an ugly motherfucker for my Shepard maybe I'd use it but my Shepard is awesome.

I used them each once for different missions then went back to the normal armor. Those helmets are fugly :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
"Jack" is fucking ugly. Get off my ship. We only have fabulous passengers aboard, like Mark Vanderloo and Dr. Chakwas.

Jamesfrom818 said:
yea same. that's my only complaint i've had with this game so far. i really don't see why they thought to not have the helmet off option, i figured it was a give in. or else i would be using terminus armor right now. i customize my character to look close to me just because it makes the role playing bit of the game even more immersive for me. can't really connect if my characters head is surrounded by metal the whole time :/

anyways i've been playing several hours now, going very slow pace just because there's so much to look at. im loving the hell out of this game.

traveler

Not Wario
4 hours in and I have to hand it to 'em- ME2 blows the socks off the first installment. (Course, I wasn't a huge fan of ME1) Few impressions:

-Visually, the game is a considerable upgrade. Yet despite the step-up, my comp's performance with it has been remarkably good. Better, even, than the first. What the hell is going on? :lol
-Shooting feels like it belongs in an actual shooter now and not just a subpar version standing in as an RPG's combat system.
-Charge + Shotgun = Awesome
-The way your abilities interact with certain levels of protection (i.e. armor/bare skin/shielding) is a welcome change. I actually feel motivated to manage my squadmates' ability usage, whereas in ME1, even on a higher difficulty setting, I largely left it to autopilot.
-I like the interrupt system, but chances to use seem to come up infrequently. Hopefully this changes as the game progresses.

That's all I got for now. Really enjoying it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom