• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Replicant

Because the gasp for air is nothing more than an Easter egg.
Easter egg where you have to achieve certain threshold points to get it is not an easter egg. It implies the game reward the player for doing so and so activities. Moreover, why is said easter egg only available on destroy ending? That is usually done when the writer want to imply that there's something special about that particular ending.

Vamphuntr

The ending is replaced with a hidden camera shot of Hudson getting fired. Gamers are pleased.

No, I don't want anyone to get fired. Maybe just Mac though... and this is from after meeting him

Depending on your war assets his face is colored red, green or blue but he still gets fired anyway.

I'm not saying Bioware is genius and thought all of this through, but it would be dumb of them to not just roll with it. It's in their best interest to keep their franchise alive.

Oh they would be massively dumb if they didn't roll with it. But if they did, it means we all bought the finale to a trilogy with no ending

..because that's just cheesy.

They say that the Crucible has been a creation for many cycles with each piece adding something new.

I'd rather have this space child ending than something that cheesy. Hundreds, maybe millions of years of building the crucible all for one human to be the catalyst? No thanks.

That's not what the theory says, that it has to be him. It has to be *someone*, but it happens to be him.

If you want me to elaborate on the theory, I'll say that it has to be someone who can overcome indoctrination. We already know that the Protheans can build devices that can detect indoctrination. So the final test is that the device, specifically designed to combat Reapers and knowing of the indoctrination ability of the Reapers, was designed to require someone who can overcome the indoctrination process to direct it, TIM, had he won, would not have been able to activate it. Shepard, by choosing the destroy option, rejects indoctrination and also at the same time activates the device.

Arjen

The Desperation theory says that everyone after the laser beam is Shep is hallucinating because of the unlimited ammo and all of that nonsense. Even if what you say is true, how does Shep end up back on Earth in the "best" ending?

People need to realize that Bioware made a bad ending. There is nothing underlying it. They fucked up and you guys are providing an out for them. You are basically accepting the fact that you bought a game with no ending. You are paving the way for DLC endings. Congratulations.

Don't get me wrong, me believing the IT doesn't mean i don't thonk it's not a bad ending, it is, hell then it's not even an ending at all

I really hoped that indoctrination theory was true. And that they didn't end it because they didn't want it to be immediately apparent to people what their choice really meant. It would take such massive balls but be so incredible. Still would be missing an ending that they'd then need to provide shortly afterwards.

If the indoctrination theory turns out to be "what's in store" I will be much more upset than I ever was at any point with the current disappointing ending. I have no interest in playing DLC for a game I've completed. None. It is never worth going back for even when it's a decent length like Shadow Broker or Broken Steel. There is no replicating the feeling of playing a game obsessively upon release, and holding back the real ending for later is more insulting than any lazy, poorly plotted ending can ever be. I can accept a full expansion pack or even Mass Effect 3-2 ("The story we wanted to tell couldn't possibly have fit in one [30 hour] game, so we decided it to split it into two"), but deliberately withholding an ending like that for later would probably move me from Team Disappointed to Team Outraged.

Thankfully, the wording of the "we're working on a better ending" announcement implies that they're just dumb (in thinking the current ending was acceptable), not maliciously greedy and evil, which I can live with.

I really hoped that indoctrination theory was true. And that they didn't end it because they didn't want it to be immediately apparent to people what their choice really meant. It would take such massive balls but be so incredible. Still would be missing an ending that they'd then need to provide shortly afterwards.

Unless it was available at launch as some sort of secret DLC you can only access after finishing, any gap between finishing the game and resolution is completely infuriating to me. A bad ending won't ruin my experience, but segmenting it like that will.

Omega

Banned
I'm actually somewhat intrigued by what Bioware has planned to "fix" the ending.

I think a lot of people who hated it would rather they just re-did everything after the final Anderson conversation, but I can't imagine Bioware will go that route, especially not with Muzyka saying stuff like "we're going to respond to it in a way that both considers the audience as co-creators in our artistic journey and yet thoroughly maintains the artistic integrity of the team's original choices."

Screw the teams' original choice. It's the reason they're in this predicament in the first place.

I don't care if they change the ending or not. There's only two things I want to know.

1) Why were the Reapers made out to be some all-powerful, unstoppable forces with a reason we cannot possibly fathom become a child's play thing. Who by the way, tells us the purpose of Reapers in about 15 seconds.

2) Why was Ashley who was just fighting with me on the ground, on the Normandy and in jungle land? Harbinger was right there. I know Joker is a good pilot and all, but I doubt he was able to avoid Harbinger just to come in to only pick up Ash/Edi and just leave everyone else to die.

People who are so against the indoctrination theory still can't prove it wrong, so FU.
That's because anything we present as weird, contradictory, or incongruous is assimilated into the theory. It's confirmation bias at its worst. Anything that can be shown to not make sense is simply further evidence of the theory for its advocates, because the theory is exactly that everything shown doesn't make sense.

Dresden

The reasons I favor the 'cut starchild out' stuff:

- it's cheap.

- it's fast.

- they can't explain that shit well anyways, just don't bother at all.

Hero

I think we should all remember these so-called gaming sites and 'journalists' who ridiculed the fans during these times. Don't forget their names. Next time these phoney, two-faced, hypocritical mouthpieces for gaming companies slip up in their 'reporting', let's not give them any mercy.

Can someone create a list of all the 'journalists' who mocked the fans and called them self-entitled with the sources? I'd like to preserve them.

Damn right. And I would expect some crow to be eaten by certain individuals...
Eh... I'll just maintain that they didn't have the intention for this. The fact that they had a sequence where Shep is indoctrinated but ending up scrapping it and that Walters called those black squiggly lines "TIM's control mojo" is proof enough.

That's because anything we present as weird, contradictory, or incongruous is assimilated into the theory. It's confirmation bias at its worst. Anything that can be shown to not make sense is simply further evidence of the theory for its advocates, because the theory is exactly that everything shown doesn't make sense.

No, I think you're mischaracterizing the appeal of the theory, it's not just that everything shown doesn't make sense, it's that they make more sense if TIT (that's what I'm going to call it from now on) is true.

The reasons I favor the 'cut starchild out' stuff:

- it's cheap.

- it's fast.

- they can't explain that shit well anyways, just don't bother at all.

The fan ending on youtube where Anderson and Shep just watch the Reapers being destroyed is my headcanon

No, I think you're mischaracterizing the appeal of the theory, it's not just that everything shown doesn't make sense, it's that they make more sense if TIT (that's what I'm going to call it from now on) is true.
You're going to call it tit?

Zeliard

Screw the teams' original choice. It's the reason they're in this predicament in the first place.

I don't care if they change the ending or not. There's only two things I want to know.

1) Why were the Reapers made out to be some all-powerful, unstoppable forces with a reason we cannot possibly fathom become a child's play thing. Who by the way, tells us the purpose of Reapers in about 15 seconds.

They didn't have the Catalyst planned in ME1. Plenty of incongruous stuff there. Why did Sovereign have to signal dark space from the Citadel when the Catalyst is the Citadel? Why didn't the Catalyst ever do something about the Conduit, which sent people inside the Citadel for the purpose of disrupting the signal? Sovereign had to piece together clues over a long span of time to even discover that the Conduit existed in the first place.

Rob N Banks said:
2) Why was Ashley who was just fighting with me on the ground, on the Normandy and in jungle land? Harbinger was right there. I know Joker is a good pilot and all, but I doubt he was able to avoid Harbinger just to come in to only pick up Ash/Edi and just leave everyone else to die.

Terrible editing.

If I say "Shepard said x, y, z, and that's bad writing", a TIT-fanatic will say "No, that proves he's indoctrinated, because the real Shepard wouldn't say that". If I say "The black indoctrination tentacles disappear when TIM dies, because he's the one who introduces them using the new Reaper-tech he grafted into his face", a TIT-maniac will say "No, the tentacles disappear because Shepard has finally succumbed to total Reaper control". And so on. Everything that suggests incompetence on Bioware's part is equally well-explained, in the minds of TIT-lovers, by their desperate theory.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Easter egg where you have to achieve certain threshold points to get it is not an easter egg. It implies the game reward the player for doing so and so activities. Moreover, why is said easter egg only available on destroy ending? That is usually done when the writer want to imply that there's something special about that particular ending.
It's an Easter egg because it's a 5-second clip.

*gasp*
*cut*

It doesn't really add anything except to the speculation.

Rapstah

The big line comment document has the final Reaper missile launcher fight with the waves of Banshees labelled as "harwave". Would have been a shitty final fight with Harbinger anyway, but there you go.

If I say "Shepard said x, y, z, and that's bad writing", a TIT-fanatic will say "No, that proves he's indoctrinated, because the real Shepard wouldn't say that". If I say "The black indoctrination tentacles disappear when TIM dies, because he's the one who introduces them using the new Reaper-tech he grafted into his face", a TIT-maniac will say "No, the tentacles disappear because Shepard has finally succumbed to total Reaper control". And so on. Everything that suggests incompetence on Bioware's part is equally well-explained, in the minds of TIT-lovers, by their desperate theory.
There's no arguing with tits. Tits are too powerful

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
It's an Easter egg because it's a 5-second clip.

*gasp*
*cut*

It doesn't really add anything except to the speculation.

BUT THEN WHY IS IT ONLY IN THE DESTROY ENDING?

(Because your body gets vaporized in the other two to either upload your consciousness into the catalyst or to upload your apparently half-machine DNA sequence to create true hybrid cyborgs)

JerkShep

Ok finally finished the game myself. I just have no words to express how bad this fucking ending is. I'll just write some random thoughts, they will probably be hardly coherent.
The final dialogue is awful, AWFUL. Shep asks nothing to that fucking brat, and all the stupid child say can be interpreted as "yes maybe...maybe not lololol speculate"
I chose Destroy btw.
A thing I haven't seen mentioned is that in the description of the Destroy ending Casper says "You could even destroy all synthetic life if you want. But you're part synthetic too trololol". But my Shep survived (sort of...the 10 scene in the rubble)... so should I believe that Shep did not destroy the synthetics? From a certain point of view, I'd prefer not to commit a genocide (the geth are my buddies and EDI is..ok I guess). From another point of view, it's simply another thing left vague so that they can do ME mmorpg without adressing the ending.
The Joker scene with the jungle planet does not make any sense..but I already knew that unfortunately. But Bioware managed to fuck me even there, one last time (no wait there is still the epilogue): Garrus didn't exit from the Normandy even, if I used him basically in every mission. I saw Liara (my LI...ok I guess) and Prothy the Prothean. I mean ok, he's a badass, but I wanted to see my bro Garrus in the end, not a DLC character.
The epilogue...I can't even. Maybe I'll write something about it later. Maybe not :( There are not words to describe the horror.

One last thing I might add is that in the end almost every important choice from ME1-ME2 felt purely cosmetic, was retconned or didn't matter in the long run. Even without considering the shitty endings.
Saved the Council/Kill the Council: different skin for the characters lol, you are still reinstated as a Spectre in this one like nothing happened
Udina/Anderson: we knew it since 2 basically but 3 made it official, Udina is always the councilor
Rachni Queen alive/dead: Reapers clone another Queen, didn't you know? Ok maybe something changes. An UPDATE in the war assets if you save the crazy queen.
Feros: email?
Collector base destroyed or not: NOTHING? I destroyed it and still that ugly baby reaper was in the Cerberus base at the end...
Loyalty missions: ok Mordin's, Tali's and Legion's are handled nicely, and I think even the Grunt ones is important for him to survive or not in the Rachni mission. But the other ones are barely mentioned. For example, Sidonis is nowhere to be seen, Garrus doesn't even talk about him lol
Wrex alive/dead: ok this I liked, it's pretty important in the Genophage plot after all
Virmire survivor: meh really, after the Cerberus coup Ashley had maybe two real dialogues..Zaeed treatment.

Last thing: Indoctrination theory = denial. It's just bad writing guys.
I don't even want DLC ending, Bioware clearly wanted to keep the ending vague so that they can make the "500 years later" sequel without the relays and with a clean start. And I don't care about the reunion between cripple Shepard and starved/cannibal LI.

Arjen

So you non believers, why does Shepard shoot Anderson? How can TIm make him do that if it was all real? Why does shepard have a gunshot wound at the same place as Anderson when he shoots him? Why does Anderson moves like a puppet?

hateradio

The big line comment document has the final Reaper missile launcher fight with the waves of Banshees labelled as "harwave". Would have been a shitty final fight with Harbinger anyway, but there you go.
Harbinger waves goodbye and goodnight.

So you non believers, why does Shepard shoot Anderson? How can TIm make him do that if it was all real? Why does shepard have a gunshot wound at the same place as Anderson when he shoots him? Why does Anderson moves like a puppet?
"Control mojo."

Honestly, you guys are making everything into something beyond what was intended.

Control mojo. Mac Walters, the lead writer says "control mojo" not indoctrination.

"Control" "mojo"

Zeliard

Illusive Man was part-Reaper at that point. He even said "look at the power I now wield" or something right before he made Shepard shoot Anderson.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Because bioware did it as so.
See? The perfect answer.

Moaradin

Shepard having a gun shot wound in the same place where he shot Anderson is one of the biggest pieces of evidence.

Because it's Bioware being lazy nothing more nothing less. I mean for god sake Shepard gives Tali an invisible rock on Rannoch does that mean something too ?

inky

So you non believers, why does Shepard shoot Anderson? How can TIm make him do that if it was all real?

TIM controls him with his reaper powers which were only established minutes ago when you stormed his base. Shepard is visibly struggling against them and they end when TIM is dead.

Why does shepard have a gunshot wound at the same place as Anderson when he shoots him?

Wounds from rushing the beam. He was already limping at that point. (plus it's easy to reuse the hold left-midsection animation when your weapon is on the right hand. Bioware reuses all of their animations)

Why does Anderson moves like a puppet?

Are you really asking? Bioware's terrible animation of course.

hateradio

Because it's Bioware being lazy nothing more nothing less. I mean for god sake Shepard gives Tali an invisible rock on Rannoch does that mean something too ?
There are also invisible drinks and invisible people. It's a sign.

TIM controls him with his reaper powers which were only established minutes ago when you stormed his base.

Wounds from rushing the beam.

I'll just start writing a doc now. :p

rocK`

Banned
Harbinger waves goodbye and goodnight.

"Control mojo."

Honestly, you guys are making everything into something beyond what was intended.

How do you know? you literally are taking every hypothesis and shitting on it by saying

'space magic lol'

'control mojo'

you aren't entertaining the idea, or refuting with evidence of your own to support your argument.

Let me know when you can back up your "wasn't intended" claim with actual evidence, if not, allow us to continue speculating and interpreting this game.

hateradio

How do you know? you literally are taking every hypothesis and shitting on it by saying

'space magic '

'control mojo'

you aren't entertaining the idea, or refuting with evidence of your own to support your argument.

Let me know when you can back up your "wasn't intended" claim with actual evidence, if not, allow us to continue speculating and interpreting this game.
Come back when you accept the end for what it is, without using confirmation bias.

'space magic lol'

'control mojo'

There are some production notes written by Mac Walters where he says Shep is affected by TIM's control mojo.

And this:

g5GH3.jpg

Arjen

TIM controls him with his reaper powers which were only established minutes ago when you stormed his base.

Wounds from rushing the beam.

New reaper powers that can move other people's arms? Saren couldn't do that.
Fair enough, still they draw your attemtion to it
They're bad, but not that bad

Is this not clear to everyone?

TIM was researching a way of adapting Reaper control technology for human ends. That was the whole point of Sanctuary. Scenes shown via terminals on Cerberus station show that, right at the end, he cracked it, at least on a small-scale (it is unlikely it would have worked on Reapers, as he planned) and had the first working tech implanted in himself. With no anaesthetic, I might add. Anderson and Shepard both start moving like puppets when TIM arrives; this is when the tentacles appear in your vision, indicating 'Reaper' control. But in fact it's Reaper control as reinvented and controlled by TIM. He makes Shepard shoot Anderson to demonstrate his new powers. See his clenched fist with the purple stuff around it? That's his own personal Reaper magic. When he dies, however, the control is immediately broken. The tentacles disappear. Anderson collapses.

Or, you know, it's all in Shepard's mind, whatever.

I'm actually somewhat intrigued by what Bioware has planned to "fix" the ending.

Recap the Destroy ending w/ the 'gasping breath' stinger.
Snap to a black screen for a few moments until the words "Joy of rebirth" are shown.

Fade in on allied soldiers dinging though piles of rubble until a one of the soldiers shouts about finding something, then show more and more pieces of debris being removed until what's underneath is finally viable. A beaten and bloody Shepard lies in scorched clothing.

Then we see from a high POV one person braking though the crowed that's gathered.
We hear a familiar voice speak.
"Is it her?"

The first soldier on the scene raises a salute and before he has chance to response a scratchy worn voice speaks out.
"Yeah it's me... Anderson... I though you had died."

With a powerful resonant tone he replies.
"You stole my line."

We see a smile break across her face.
"Did you really think I'd die before Shenmue 3 got made?"

rocK`

Banned
Is this not clear to everyone?

TIM was researching a way of adapting Reaper control technology for human ends. That was the whole point of Sanctuary. Scenes shown via terminals on Cerberus station show that, right at the end, he cracked it, at least on a small-scale (it is unlikely it would have worked on Reapers, as he planned) and had the first working tech implanted in himself. With no anaesthetic, I might add. Anderson and Shepard both start moving like puppets when TIM arrives; this is when the tentacles appear in your vision, indicating 'Reaper' control. But in fact it's Reaper control as reinvented and controlled by TIM. He makes Shepard shoot Anderson to demonstrate his new powers. See his clenched fist with the purple stuff around it? That's his own personal Reaper magic. When he dies, however, the control is immediately broken. The tentacles disappear. Anderson collapses.

Or, you know, it's all in Shepard's mind, whatever.

uhm, so, why didn't TiM abuse this power earlier? why now?

RDreamer

I just finished the game today, and I actually really liked the ending. I think I would have been disappointed if it was all just a big "Oh, you did X, Y, and Z, so these people survived and here's what they did and the reapers died and yay" sort of thing. I kind of had that problem with Dragon Age: Origins. It was a great game overall, but in the end it was just kind of a game. I feel like this was a bit more than that. They tried something a big more weighty, and also bookended the trilogy so it felt like a full piece.

I haven't really read any theories or anything from anyone else yet, but I understand most of the ending. I also saw it coming from a mile away, really. The choices had really been foreshadowed throughout the game and the series and I think thematically the ending fit because of that.

Top Bottom