• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Zomba13

Is it normal that I really want to try DE:HR now? I kind of want to see a shit ending that doesn't make me depressed for a few days.

It's a bad ending but not on the scale of ME3. I was pretty ok with it. I didn't much care for the ending but then again I didn't invest over 100 hours into it and games that came before it that were promised to affect the outcome.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/03/21/mass-effect-3-a-dangerous-precedent

Vocal minority! Vocal minority! Vocal minority!

It's amazing to watch the gaming press carry Bioware's water.

To be fair, we are the vocal minority. But as Jessica Merizan honestly pointed out, that just means that the number of people that actually bother to talk about the game is a huge minority.

I'll even concede that those who hate the ending are more likely to speak out. So if we extrapolate that, based on fake math (Statistics is really borderline to start with), we have 97% of the vocal minority that thought the endings sucked.

One would imagine that those who loved the ending, and also belong to the silent minority would notice this, and at least come in to have there say. If they have, this number is about 3% of peope, but we'll assume that is not all of them.

If we are extremely generous, and extrapolate to all people that finished the game, even if those who hate it are less vocal, I don't see how you get anything less than a 65-70% hatred rate.

Suck on that terrible logic, Bioware.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Is it normal that I really want to try DE:HR now? I kind of want to see a shit ending that doesn't make me depressed for a few days.
I didn't think it was complete shit, just rushed. I actually thought it was fine, in that MGS1 kind of way.

Replicant

DE: HR ending is actually as crappy as ME3 for me. But the thing was, DE:HR story was pretty dry and boring throughout so when the ending happened, I just went "Oh well, that's that".

On the other hand, ME3 was pretty good up until the ending. Which makes the ending far more offensive in my eyes.

It's a bad ending but not on the scale of ME3. I was pretty ok with it. I didn't much care for the ending but then again I didn't invest over 100 hours into it and games that came before it that were promised to affect the outcome.

And that too.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

It also has the excuse that the ending can't have too big of an effect, since its a prequel and the events that come after are set in stone.

DE:HR's was kind of hamstrung by the fact that:

A) Deus Ex games have always been more about posting a set of philosophical questions, letting the NPCs give their arguments for each, and then asking the player what they think. HR just made it a bit too obvious with literal buttons lined up in a room, and somewhat underdeveloping some arguments.

B) It's a prequel, so they had to keep it vague or not show radically different results (or results at all) unless they were prepared to go the, "Well Option C is canon, the others don't lead to Deus Ex."

I have a bunch of non-ending related questions:

1. What happens if you don't do overlord and then save Grissom academy? Do you just not interact with Archer? Do you still get the guns/room full of ammo?

2. What if I destroyed Maelon's data in ME2? Does that affect the genophage stuff?

3. Related: is there any way to save Mordin?

4. Any way to save Samara? Thane?

5. Is there a way to get Kaiden back on the Normandy? I didn't actually want him, but I'm curious if that is possible.

6. Is there any interesting choice in the Miranda quest? I don't see how anything I did helped her or changed anything.

7. Any consequences for reprogramming rather than killing the heretic geth in ME2? I killed them.

8. Re: Rannoch: Does it matter what order you do the missions in? I did the Reaper base last and I'm wondering if you can still do the others if you choose that one.

9. Did I miss something regarding the council? I made them all human in ME1 and they ended up being mixed again in Me3.

rdrr gnr

1. What happens if you don't do overlord and then save Grissom academy? Do you just not interact with Archer? Do you still get the guns/room full of ammo?

2. What if I destroyed Maelon's data in ME2? Does that affect the genophage stuff?

5. Is there a way to get Kaiden back on the Normandy? I didn't actually want him, but I'm curious if that is possible.

6. Is there any interesting choice in the Miranda quest? I don't see how anything I did helped her or changed anything.

7. Any consequences for reprogramming rather than killing the heretic geth in ME2? I killed them.

8. Re: Rannoch: Does it matter what order you do the missions in? I did the Reaper base last and I'm wondering if you can still do the others if you choose that one.

9. Did I miss something regarding the council? I made them all human in ME1 and they ended up being mixed again in Me3.
3. Yes.
4. Yes. No.
5. Yes.
6. Death. So, no.

Not sure on the others.

All from memory, errors possible, but I will try.

1. Don't know, I imagine no guns, not sure if you can even get the engineers to put down their shield. Probably.

2. I don't think you get the cure, but I'm not sure.

3. I think only if Wrex is dead.

4. Yes on Samara. You just paragon interrupt. Maybe only if loyal.
Thane- No. If you never talk to him in the hospital, Kirahee will take his place, but I believe Thane still dies.

5. Yes? Have you not beaten yet? I think it is automatic after a certain point in the game, but maybe you can actually keep him off? I played with Ashley and it was auto

6. You have to meet her three times to warn her or she will be killed by Kai Leng.

7. Killing them actually makes it easier to broker peace between Geth and Quarians. It also affects war assets, less power for Geth if you kill them, less power for Quarians if you save them (more Geth=more dead Quarians, basically)
Point system to determine if you can make peace, and you get 2 points (5 needed) if you destroy, 0 points if you reprogram

8. Rannoch- I don't know if you lose access to quests, but you get 2 points necessary to the five, 1 in each mission. So if you want to make peace, do Priority mission last.

9. I've never played where I let them die. I assume they just get replaced, same races but different individuals. Maybe I'm wrong.

Dany

Banned

1. What happens if you don't do overlord and then save Grissom academy? Do you just not interact with Archer? Do you still get the guns/room full of ammo? No, that room is not available.

2. What if I destroyed Maelon's data in ME2? Does that affect the genophage stuff? It is a setback, would lead to Eve's death if the data is destroyed, not enough information

3. Related: is there any way to save Mordin? If Wrex is dead and if Eve also dies (offscreen) then Mordin can be saved

4. Any way to save Samara? Thane? You can with a paragon interrupt for Samara i believe but Thane is gonna die, nothing shepard can do

5. Is there a way to get Kaiden back on the Normandy? I didn't actually want him, but I'm curious if that is possible. No, after the citadel mission and you turn A/K down, they work on the crucible and send you emails

6. Is there any interesting choice in the Miranda quest? I don't see how anything I did helped her or changed anything. She died in mine because I did not provide the alliance intel in the apartments, she lives if you provided the intel

7. Any consequences for reprogramming rather than killing the heretic geth in ME2? I killed them. NO IDEA

8. Re: Rannoch: Does it matter what order you do the missions in? I did the Reaper base last and I'm wondering if you can still do the others if you choose that one. Yes, the one that appears to be the main mission such as the reaper base is the priority mission, the other are side stuff that can aide/hurt you depending on the order you do them.

9. Did I miss something regarding the council? I made them all human in ME1 and they ended up being mixed again in Me3. All you did in ME1 is create a council with human interests, with humans being the No. 1 species and 'choosing' the other people that would represent the other species

answered

Replicant

You probably won't see that guy from overlord is my guess. On that note, did anyone else lie to the asshole brother about the whereabouts of the younger brother he experimented with in overlord? I sure told him lies because he does not deserve to abuse his brother again.

Yes, I think. If you do that, I think Eve will die but I'm not sure if that requires Wrex to die in ME1.

If Wrex had died in ME1 and you destroyed Maelon's data.

Samara, yes. You just need to gain her loyalty in ME2 and then arrive in time for the Ardat-Yakshi mission in ME3, and interrupt her action when she's about to kill herself.

Thane, no.

It is possible. I've done it. He asks for it actually. Assuming your paragon/renegade points are high enough that you can convince him to lower down his weapon during Udina's confrontation.

If you let her see Alliance's files and if you let her know about Kai Leng, she'll survive. If you didn't, Oriana will be the one who inform you about things.

You'll fight more geths during Rannoch mission but if you have high enough reputation, you'll gain not only Quarians fleet but high amount of Geth fleets.

You'll likely fail the negotiation if you don't do the sub-missions first. Because gaining points from those are the conditions for peace between Quarians and Geths.

Mine is always mixed so I wouldn't know. Most likely Bioware re-writing their own stuff as usual. So they shouldn't have problem doing it again for the ending.

So much BS they are spouting.

"They have faith in their writers being able to round up the story in a nice package" yea, but it wasn't there writers, it was entirely Casey Hudson and maybe some Mac. Their other writers don't agree with them...

"I actually liked the ending" Alright, you're the 'vocal minority' on that subject "so now my ending has to be changed because a few people werent happy?" Nobody said they are changing the ending. Just expanding on it and hopefully explaining it a bit more after the fact. There is no way they COULD change it at this point.

IGN is such a joke. Who visits there site? Probably the "90%" huh? And why does the 90% that doesnt give a shit about the series get to have the best experience? Why can't for once the ones that are dedicated be rewarded? And Bioware finally agree's to work with it and we get egotistical websites demeaning them for it. Bastards.

This is clearly a RARE scenario and is not going to SHAPE the industry as we know it. Perhaps in 6 years when a new epic trilogy with tons of choices ect. comes to a close we may run into a similar thing, but thinking this will be a WIDE spread trends is ludicrous. Look at Dragon Age 2...

grumpypariah

Neo Member
i just finished the game a few minutes before, figured this was as good a place as any to throw my two cents in on the ending.........

throughout the series i always played my Shepard like the classic hero, good guy, saving everyone, with a little bit of the Capt Kirk bad boy thing (try to nail anything i can)......

so, in the end, i choose the "control" side, which just seemed to work well with how i played the game. didn't enrage me, but definitely left me stunned, in a good way.

could it have been better, yeah sure, but IMHO, after all these years of going through this trilogy, the end was as epic as the whole story.

5. Yes? Have you not beaten yet? I think it is automatic after a certain point in the game, but maybe you can actually keep him off? I played with Ashley and it was auto

9. I've never played where I let them die. I assume they just get replaced, same races but different individuals. Maybe I'm wrong.

5. I beat it, but when he is healed up and I meet him by the dock, I told him he was needed by the council or something and he never came back on the ship, which was fine with me since I didn't really like him.

6-8. Interesting.

9. For me they were the same races as the original council, but different people even though I swear I replaced them with humans at the end of ME1.

Replicant

After Mordin creates the cure he notes that Eve died during the process and implies it's because Maelon's data was destroyed.

Naw Wrex was still alive in my game.

Mordin, Eve and Wreav all died.

Interesting. But can you save Mordin if you destroyed Maelon's data? Or is he still going for the cure anyway?

coping, day 10:

bought:

FF XIII-2

Uhm, I hate to disappoint you but....

5. I beat it, but when he is healed up and I meet him by the dock, I told him he was needed by the council or something and he never came back on the ship, which was fine with me since I didn't really like him.

There'll be an event where you'll have confrontation with him. If you have enough reputation, you can persuade him to lower down his weapon (blue/red text). If not, you'll have to kill him. Remember though: having Kaidan in your team is the only way you can get Reave power.

GSR

Interesting. But can you save Mordin if you destroyed Maelon's data? Or is he still going for the cure anyway?

That's the only way to save him, actually. Having Wrex dead and no data results in Eve dying, and with both of them dead Shepard can convince Mordin that the Krogan will only self-destruct if the genophage is cured.

6-8. Interesting.

9. For me they were the same races as the original council, but different people even though I swear I replaced them with humans at the end of ME1.

5. Yeah, answered above. I guess you can turn them down. I never turn down a squadmate, although Ashley just chilled on her couch all game.

Veelk

Banned
I think you're actually still tying the good/bad principles to it: Anderson isn't bad because he follows military protocol, so he can't be red.

Again, the Red option is not inteded to reflect Anderson, but more on Shepard's resolve to destroy everything. The word is very much tied to the renegade.

Imagine the colors were reversed.

What would be gained by a renegade Shep? This isn't Dragon Age where you could become a Blood Mage by consorting with a demon. Nothing would be gained by him or her by controlling the Reapers. He or she would want to remain human, and would want to do whatever it takes to remove the Reapers from the galaxy.

And if the option to destroy were blue, a paragon Shepard would not only be sacrificing him or herself (as in Control) but also the Geth and any other sentient AI in the galaxy or universe. That doesn't sound like a true paragon, because the many outweigh the few. I think a paragon would go the extra length to achieve peace if it meant giving his or her life for it.

Your attaching the good/evil connotations to it when there are none. Paragon is just following Military protocol while Renegade is doing what you want. Anderson being renegade makes no sense because it's the alliance's goal to destroy the reapers, and Shepard is an alliance soldier, while TIM is the criminal who is seperate from the alliance military. It's not good and evil, it just makes no sense that the alliance soldier is the renegade option when renegade is, by definition, an act out of place in the alliance code of conduct. Same for TIM, who is not acting with similar interests to the military alliance. Who has the more moral ground or who is more selfish and everything, all that is irrelevant. Paragon and Renegade aren't about that, even though it can often seem like that.

Zeliard

Not sure about that; the only thing he really said in my game is that making the cure would have been much easier with Maelon's data, which is understandable. :p He still creates it regardless if you don't betray the Krogans. If you save Mordin that means Wrex has to die, right?

Replicant

Not sure about that; the only thing he really said in my game is that making the cure would have been much easier with Maelon's data, which is understandable. :p He still creates it regardless if you don't betray the Krogans. If you save Mordin that means Wrex has to die, right?

That's what I want to know. Is it possible to save BOTH Wrex and Mordin just by destroying Maelon's data?

Thanks for all the responses. Oh one I forgot: What happens if you don't do an interrupt when Kai Leng is about to stab you right before you kill him? Do you just die and have to do that over again?

GSR

Thanks for all the responses. Oh one I forgot: What happens if you don't do an interrupt when Kai Leng is about to stab you right before you kill him? Do you just die and have to do that over again?

I think Shepard just dodges instead of breaking the katana.

DTKT

Color coding the choices was a bad idea. Control is not really Paragon, destroy is not really renegade and fuck if I know about green.

Omega

Banned
So much BS they are spouting.

"They have faith in their writers being able to round up the story in a nice package" yea, but it wasn't there writers, it was entirely Casey Hudson and maybe some Mac. Their other writers don't agree with them...

"I actually liked the ending" Alright, you're the 'vocal minority' on that subject "so now my ending has to be changed because a few people werent happy?" Nobody said they are changing the ending. Just expanding on it and hopefully explaining it a bit more after the fact. There is no way they COULD change it at this point.

IGN is such a joke. Who visits there site? Probably the "90%" huh? And why does the 90% that doesnt give a shit about the series get to have the best experience? Why can't for once the ones that are dedicated be rewarded? And Bioware finally agree's to work with it and we get egotistical websites demeaning them for it. Bastards.

This is clearly a RARE scenario and is not going to SHAPE the industry as we know it. Perhaps in 6 years when a new epic trilogy with tons of choices ect. comes to a close we may run into a similar thing, but thinking this will be a WIDE spread trends is ludicrous. Look at Dragon Age 2...

If gaming has taught me anything, it's that loyal fans don't matter.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

1. I did overlord and my Renegade Shepard didn't take the guy from Cerberus, so no, he wasn't at the Grissom Academy and as such I didn't get to go into the extra room on the side.

2. Eve dies if you didn't save the data, Mordin will talk about the condition she is in and how she is deteriorating and could have been saved had you not deleted the data.

3. As far as I know the only way to not have Mordin give up his life or have to kill him is if you shot Wrex in ME1 and as such can convince Mordin to wait on the cure till someone better than Wreav comes along.

4. You can save Samara from shooting herself with a Paragon interrupt, I don't know what you need to have done in the games for it to show up mind.
Thane will always die if he survived ME2.

5. Yes, Kaiden/Ashley can be asked to come back after the Priority: Citadel mission, I'm not sure if there is as certain something you have to do, but it just came up in a conversation afterwards.

6. What do you mean by interesting choice? if you don't warn her about cereal ninja or something she ends up getting killed I think, if she didn't survive ME2 the mission happens just without her and with her sister or something.

7. Reprogramming the Geth make it harder to form an alliance between the Quarians and the Geth, while the Paragon option in ME2 it in fact makes the Geth stronger and as such harder to bring about a truce between them.
There is a hidden point system behind Geth/Quarian things going on, you need a certain amount from ME2 and ME3 to be able to choose the peace option.

8. Not just Rannoch im sure, but if you go straight to the Priority Mission you will miss out on the side mission on the planet, pretty sure you have to do all the side Rannoch missions before the main one, same for Tuchunka.

9. You didn't miss anything story wise, just Bioware replacing the default Council with another so it gels with the story and they didn't have to put in the work of making the story continue without each race.

rdrr gnr

I just removed a word that, while only used here for emphasis and not as an actual slur, is frowned upon on GAF.
So? The creator of the comic intended for "faggot" to be in the text -- and it was funny. You'll be in no more trouble for posting that than someone who links to a rap video that uses the word "nigga" in it. Context matters, or at least, it should here on GAF.

It's off-topic regardless, so just PM me if you want to continue the conversation.

Omega

Banned
Not after the first major event. There's no dialogue wheel during those parts.

Yes there is

She has a line or two with no dialogue, but if you keep talking to her she'll say

"Do we need to talk"

And then you have the option of saying "No" or "Get off my ship"

i just want to say i'm okay with the ending. it had flaws but i'm not as pissed as other people are, and the entire series is not ruined for me.

Nanomachines, Indoctrination, Star Children....they're all from the same crappy pile of crap.

lol, mgs4 salty-ness still strong almost half a decade later, just get over it man :p

whats wrong with indoctrination plot line in ME series? whats wrong with the 'star child'? they answered where Reapers came from without actually giving away what Reapers are. its function is to serve as a commander of the reapers, a tangible monolith that you can face, instead of just facing something like harbringer, which is one of many and doesn't have that 'leader' of Reapers status.

if you pay attention you can tell a species like the Geth are primitive Reapers. Legion shows signs of individualism while still being a part of the collective and being a collection of many processes. He considers himself part of Geth but he has individual characteristics. it reminded me of when sovereign said 'we are each a nation'.

Color coding the choices was a bad idea. Control is not really Paragon, destroy is not really renegade and fuck if I know about green.

Control and Synthesis don't make any sense to me as choices to end the series. The whole point of Shepard's journey was to destroy the Reapers, not become Saren/TIM, or play God and force "evolution." Destroy is the logical choice out of what they gave us. Yeah the Geth and EDI go bye-bye, but you pay the cost to be the boss......or something.

DE:HR's was kind of hamstrung by the fact that:

A) Deus Ex games have always been more about posting a set of philosophical questions, letting the NPCs give their arguments for each, and then asking the player what they think. HR just made it a bit too obvious with literal buttons lined up in a room, and somewhat underdeveloping some arguments.

B) It's a prequel, so they had to keep it vague or not show radically different results (or results at all) unless they were prepared to go the, "Well Option C is canon, the others don't lead to Deus Ex."

That said, I would have preferred a slightly more elegant use of the routing process, not button A, B or C. And the last level was a letdown, aside from the confrontations and some other elements.

And I do remember having plenty of stuff to complain about in the thread.

But in the end, I am glad it exists and while it didn't entirely live up to my expectations (slaughtering everyone was just not fun, nobody defended themselves. Lining people up for execution was just not that much fun as seeing people waddle off in that awkard DX walk while you sent a rocket after them. Because I am a nano-enhance cyborg on a RAAAAMMPAAAAAGGE, not some gay-ass stealth guy with a tiny crossbow. Pffff, lame.),
I am more than happy with how it actually turned out.

Jaffaboy

That guy is a dickhead, and that interview is biased as shit. There's no counter argument for anything he says because 'they couldn't find anyone that didn't like the ending' which I find incredibly hard to believe. He doesn't even acknowledge any of the plot holes and why they're ok for him, nor does he even give his view of the ending other than that he 'liked it'.

Top Bottom