• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

DTKT

Control and Synthesis don't make any sense to me as choices to end the series. The whole point of Shepard's journey was to destroy the Reapers, not become Saren/TIM, or play God and force "evolution." Destroy is the logical choice out of what they gave us. Yeah the Geth and EDI go bye-bye, but you pay the cost to be the boss......or something.

Still, the underlying theme of Destroy is that we can't coexist with Synthetics. Which is a moot point since I just brokered a peace between the Geth and the Quarians.

Sorry if already posted. Another Forbes piece:

Mass Effect 3 Ending: The Indoctrination Theory Is the Easy Way Out

This section stood out for me.

I’m skeptical about whether or not this was the plan all along. It probably came up in meetings from time to time, and was even hinted at in points during the game. But the team wouldn’t be handling the complaints about the ending in the way that they are if they had the ace in their sleeve the whole time.

That still doesn’t mean that indoctrination isn’t the route that Bioware will take. Right now, it probably looks like the easiest way to use fan feedback to shape the ending. But it would just be that: the easiest way out. It wouldn’t address protesting fans’ real complaint about the lack of choice — it would just force us down another path that would once again require separate endings. A good delaying tactic, but not a satisfying ending for Mass Effect by any stretch.

The root problem of the Mass Effect 3 ending was that it was very hard to come up with a satisfying way to incorporate hundreds of hours of player choice into a set of reasonable, engaging, and conclusive endings. In my mind, an attempt at the “it was all a dream” solution would prove that Bioware wasn’t up to the task.

jackdoe

Still, the underlying theme of Destroy is that we can't coexist with Synthetics. Which is a moot point since I just brokered a peace between the Geth and the Quarians.
Speaking of which, in the "Destroy Ending", if you did indeed broker peace and the Geth took over Quarian suits, does that mean you effectively killed the Quarian race? I can imagine all the suits' life function capabilities terminating (assuming that the destruction of a relay doesn't kill them of course, speculation).

Carbonox

I killed Wrex earlier during my Renegade Insanity run. Was a crazy scene.

So that's Wrex, Mordin, and Samara's daughter that I've shot dead, whilst also allowing Samara to shoot herself in the head.

INSANE IN THE MEMBRANE.

Nearly finished this run but fucking hell at the 5000 kill trophy. I'm only on 3500. D:

bigace33

Nah, the underlying them of destroy is to deliver on the promise of stopping sovereign and his reapers. Even at the cost of the geth and EDI, destroying the reapers is the only real choice. It is what I set out to do the moment I found out about them in ME1, and I delivered on that promise. More Geth or Geth like creatures can be created (just as ventkid said himself) EDI can be rebuilt at a later date, but the reapers must die.

Nah, the underlying them of destroy is to deliver on the promise of stopping sovereign and his reapers. Even at the cost of the geth and EDI, destroying the reapers is the only real choice. It is what I set out to do the moment I found out about them in ME1, and I delivered on that promise. More Geth or Geth like creatures can be created (just as ventkid said himself) EDI can be rebuilt at a later date, but the reapers must die.

What this man said. Fuck the Reapers.

Synthesis is mind (and I guess body) rape of the worst sort. Fuck that noise. And that is aside from Space Magic.

Control solves nothing unless Shep is converted into a program that lives forever, otherwise Reapers are just going to reap in 50-100,000 years when Shepard is no longer in control and synthetics arise again.

whats wrong with indoctrination plot line in ME series? whats wrong with the 'star child'? they answered where Reapers came from without actually giving away what Reapers are. its function is to serve as a commander of the reapers, a tangible monolith that you can face, instead of just facing something like harbringer, which is one of many and doesn't have that 'leader' of Reapers status.

I mean, if you're fine with the series throwing out random twists like the star child, and "synthetics built to kill organics before organics build synthetics that will kill organics," and fine with Shepard not questioning anything this little brat has to say, or fine with the Indoc Theroy coming out of nowhere and basically damning the game to a non-ending in its current state...

I mean, if you're fine with all that.

Vamphuntr

All 3 endings are beyond stupid anyway.

-Red explosion : Reapers, geth and EDI are dead. Cycle will restart when new synthetics will be created like Javik experienced and magic space kid said.

-Blue explosion : The giant microphone that is supposed to be a weapon can control the reapers for some reason. You basically replace the space kid as the guardian of the galaxy and you do what the Illusive Man wanted :lol.

-Green explosion : The giant microphone can somehow merge organic and synthetic life. Everything that is synthetic becomes half organic like a toaster, the Normandy and so on. You basically play god and force everyone to becomes a cyborg.

#highlevelofwriting

DTKT

I still don't buy that. The dumb space ghost kid was pretty specific in what he said. We can't coexist with synthetics because one of the two groups will try to eradicate the other. That's why the Reapers(a synthetic life) was created too clean the...

oh what the fuck is this shit.

Fuck it, I don't care.

Duki

Banned

-Red explosion : Reapers, geth and EDI are dead. Cycle will restart when new synthetics will be created like Javik experienced and magic space kid said.

would it though

would it

the species of this reaper cycle literally broke his shitty ai rising up argument with the geth

like before we even made peace between the quarians and the geth

like in mass effect 1 it turns out

the geth never fulfilled space kid's trope until the reapers arrived and made them attack us

they literally did as much as they had to do to defend themselves and then left the quarians alone

they never wanted to exterminate organic life

the ending is moronic

Derrick01

Banned

-Blue explosion : The giant microphone that is supposed to be a weapon can control the reapers for some reason. You basically replace the space kid as the guardian of the galaxy and you do what the Illusive Man wanted :lol.

-Green explosion : The giant microphone can somehow merge organic and synthetic life. Everything that is synthetic becomes half organic like a toaster, the Normandy and so on. You basically play god and force everyone to becomes a cyborg.

#highlevelofwriting

Sounds like you just don't appreciate art mister.

I still don't buy that. The dumb space ghost kid was pretty specific in what he said. We can't coexist with synthetics because one of the two groups will try to eradicate the other. That's why the Reapers(a synthetic life) was created too clean the...

oh what the fuck is this shit.

Fuck it, I don't care.

No but Shepard already proved peace can exist between synthetics and org.....

Gotdammit, I'm done too.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
No, that just makes vent kid an idiot. A way to destroy the Reapers is what we were looking for all along. The Geth and EDI bit was just tacked on by Bioware to make a sacrifice. That way you'd have to think a second before realizing it's still the best choice.

Omega

Banned
Is that Xzibit meme on the front page? Because it needs to be.

No offense to anyone who accepts the ending, but that meme pretty much explains one of the many problems with the ending.

Synthetics protecting organics from other synthetics by killing them.

To put it in other terms

Parent protecting their kid from a bully by beating up their kid.

rdrr gnr

No, that just makes vent kid an idiot. The destroy ending is what we were looking for all along. The Geth and EDI bit was just tacked on by Bioware to make a sacrifice. That way you'd have to think a second before realizing it's still the best choice.
Do not speak ill of God-Child.

Clint Mansell > all.

I have to say I don't like either the ME2 or ME3 soundtracks. ME2 was all 'character this, character that' but nothing else, not that wacky 'not quite belonging' that ME1 had going on.
ME3 is just "AAWWW YEAAH ACTION ACION ACTION BI- *HORN* ". If you were to play it next to the MW3 soundtrack, few people would even notice much difference in tone or even direct content.

It's not bad, but it's not brilliant, as far as I am concerned.

Omega

Banned
No, that just makes vent kid an idiot. A way to destroy the Reapers is what we were looking for all along. The Geth and EDI bit was just tacked on by Bioware to make a sacrifice. That way you'd have to think a second before realizing it's still the best choice.

This.

Legion died (at least in my playthrough) and while EDI is cool, saving them would mean the Reapers are still around. Maybe if Legion was alive I would have thought about it for a split second.

There's this long list included in the Crucible designs written in countless lost languages:

DON'T TRY THESE IDEAS THEY DIDN'T WORK

-A logical paradox (they just ask you for the answer and then you feel dumb!!)
-Velociraptors from Earth (they're way smaller and less cool in real life)
-A virus sent on a Powerbook (no matter how sweet the skull .gif)
-The Power(s) of Friendship and/or Love
-Sending them a link to Varrense when their parents are around
-Telling them that we don't want the galaxy - REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY
-Dress up like robots!!! They keep allying with robots so they won't attack us (still don't get why this one didn't work, they just attacked us more??)
-Bribe them with a planet of solid gold (don't have one!!)
-Spray paint a planet to make it look like it's gold
-infinite bees
-everyone move to one side of your planet facing away from them and just keep moving around so they don't see
-Invent a time machine and keep the Mowers from ever existing (what is a mower???)
-Invent a time machine and keep the Cullers from ever existing (who?)
-Invent a time machine and keep the Pickers from ever existing (ohhhhhhh i get it now yeah let's stop this)
-A dance off at the community center
-Shout 'assuming direct control' all the time so the loud one thinks he's already done it and ignores you

I have to say I don't like either the ME2 or ME3 soundtracks. ME2 was all 'character this, character that' but nothing else, not that wacky 'not quite belonging' that ME1 had going on.
ME3 is just "AAWWW YEAAH ACTION ACION ACTION BI- *HORN* ". If you were to play it next to the MW3 soundtrack, few people would even notice much difference in tone or even direct content.

Uh, what?

rozay

Banned
Standing in front of two people in line discussing buying mass effect 3 because it was "the highest rated game in a while." EA won.

rdrr gnr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQeFvUuPNHc

DTKT

Some of the piano tracks are amazing. The ending sequence music is also pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xWcjbMrW00

I'll say that my eyes were slightly teary after that scene. Seriously.

Dresden

I think there's one or two good tracks in ME3, but otherwise it's the lesser out of the two (ME2 and ME3).

ME1 ost stands supreme.

Standing in front of two people in line discussing buying mass effect 3 because it was "the highest rated game in a while." EA won.

If I never finished the game I'd be pretty damn satisfied with it too.

GOTY

Derrick01

Banned

Uggggggh I hate casuals. Who buys shit just because it's rated high by people? Is that really all the research they do?

Why am I asking questions I already know the answer to?

I mean, if you're fine with the series throwing out random twists like the star child, and "synthetics built to kill organics before organics build synthetics that will kill organics," and fine with Shepard not questioning anything this little brat has to say, or fine with the Indoc Theroy coming out of nowhere and basically damning the game to a non-ending in its current state...

I mean, if you're fine with all that.

yes i'm fine with star child twist. as for the synthetic thing, i saw more as a organic vs. technology thing, kinda similar to other stories where tech has advanced so much it destroys nature.

yes, shepard made peace between quarian and the geth, but thats why he's special. that is why the catalyst realized Reapers were wrong and gave Shepard the chance to destroy or dominate them. that kind of peace never happened before in the previous cycles.

the mass relays themselves is a tech by the catalyst/reapers that allowed organic species to survive better/longer otherwise they would be doomed to overpopulation and resource shortages.

i dunno what the indoc theory is, doesn't really matter since i'm not supporting it...

No offense to anyone who accepts the ending, but that meme pretty much explains one of the many problems with the ending.

To put it in other terms

It makes perfect sense, I would spend more time showing you how it makes perfect sense. However right now I have to go and take a photo of my brothers house, then I am gonna burn it to the ground because my brother is an idiot and smokes so there is always a slight chance he might fall asleep with a lit cigarette and burn his house down.

Do I need to say I am being sarcastic here ? But yeah you are right the whole explanation of the Reapers is about as moronic as you can get really.

On another note with the Synthesis option why does Jokers baseball cap become partly synthetic with circuits running through it ?

Beat it last night, but GAF was down. I had to contemplate what the fuck I just saw all by myself...

I'm sure it's mostly been talked to death from most angles, so what I've been thinking about is... how the hell do they do a sequel now?

The only thing I can think of is the cross off the synergy ending from the list and go with the assumption you did one of the other two endings that didn't kill all life in the universe. From there, do a game about the Sol system, with all the different species living on whatever planets they can make habitable, maybe hundreds or thousands of years later so no one from ME1-3 are alive.

Or a dating sim starring Joker on his new jungle planet as he decides which species to repopulate first...

There's this long list included in the Crucible designs written in countless lost languages:

DON'T TRY THESE IDEAS THEY DIDN'T WORK

-A logical paradox (they just ask you for the answer and then you feel dumb!!)
-Velociraptors from Earth (they're way smaller and less cool in real life)
-A virus sent on a Powerbook (no matter how sweet the skull .gif)
-The Power(s) of Friendship and/or Love
-Sending them a link to Varrense when their parents are around
-Telling them that we don't want the galaxy - REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY
-Dress up like robots!!! They keep allying with robots so they won't attack us (still don't get why this one didn't work, they just attacked us more??)
-Bribe them with a planet of solid gold (don't have one!!)
-Spray paint a planet to make it look like it's gold
-infinite bees
-everyone move to one side of your planet facing away from them and just keep moving around so they don't see
-Invent a time machine and keep the Mowers from ever existing (what is a mower???)
-Invent a time machine and keep the Cullers from ever existing (who?)
-Invent a time machine and keep the Pickers from ever existing (ohhhhhhh i get it now yeah let's stop this)
-A dance off at the community center
-Shout 'assuming direct control' all the time so the loud one thinks he's already done it and ignores you

infinite bees would be kind of awesome though.

DTKT

Beat it last night, but GAF was down. I had to contemplate what the fuck I just saw all by myself...

I'm sure it's mostly been talked to death from most angles, so what I've been thinking about is... how the hell do they do a sequel now?

The only thing I can think of is the cross off the synergy ending from the list and go with the assumption you did one of the other two endings that didn't kill all life in the universe. From there, do a game about the Sol system, with all the different species living on whatever planets they can make habitable, maybe hundreds or thousands of years later so no one from ME1-3 are alive.

Or a dating sim starring Joker on his new jungle planet as he decides which species to repopulate first...

There's been a quote floating around where Casey Hudson mentions that they have no interest in creating content taking place after ME3.

To put it in other terms

iBKP6r6wMnHgU.jpg

There's been a quote floating around where Casey Hudson mentions that they have no interest in creating content taking place after ME3.

But like.. they are going to make more Mass Effect games. There's no way they're not. So... every new game takes place during the events of ME 1-3? Or are they going to make prequel games where humans aren't involved?

Also, pretty sure the ending to ME3 showed how much weight a Casey Hudson quote has.

I personally think that is one of the reasons why there has been such a major uproar about this ending. People accept that this is the final Mass Effect game and any others will be set before the trilogy and it just rubbed them up the wrong way that the end is so bloody drastic and unanswered.

I would go as far to say if they hadn't destroyed the Mass Relays the shitstorm wouldn't be half as bad. We got loads of closure throughout the entire game but it was all shat on in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Replicant

EDI at one point in the game points out that she thinks what makes her and Legion have different opinions is because they are individual entities versus mass-collective like the Geths im general. When you are an individual you are more likely to have your own opinion and agendas different from that of mass-collective groups. Mass-collective groups are easily controlled too. That's why I think the solution to synthetic problem really does lie in making them individuals with different thought patterns and opinions.

EDI at one point in the game points out that she thinks what makes her and Legion from having different opinions is because they are almost individual entities versus mass-collective like the Geths im general. When you are an individual you are more likely to have your own opinion and agendas different from that of mass-collective groups. Mass-collective groups are easily control too. That's why I think the solution to synthetic problem really does lie in making them individuals with different thought patterns and opinions.

Or there is a third option. Turn everybody into a robot, and apparently we will all get along. So wipe their minds and make them not individuals. I personally prefer your solution, but I didn't get to write the ending.

DTKT

But like.. they are going to make more Mass Effect games. There's no way they're not. So... every new game takes place during the events of ME 1-3? Or are they going to make prequel games where humans aren't involved?

Also, pretty sure the ending to ME3 showed how much weight a Casey Hudson quote has.

Right, so this is just speculation. And it's just my own impression.

But.

My best guess is that Bioware is done with conversations, branching dialogue trees. What they want to do is Uncharted in space. They create a story and you have no control on how it plays. Thing is, I don't think they are good enough to actually create that illusion. Naughty Dog is pretty good at creating cutscenes that feel more like scenes from a movie than "vidja games".

Just my impression. :|

Pollux

Right, so this is just speculation. And it's just my own impression.

But.

My best guess is that Bioware is done with conversations, branching dialogue trees. What they want to do is Uncharted in space. They create a story and you have no control on how it plays. Thing is, I don't think they are good enough to actually create that illusion. Naughty Dog is pretty good at creating cutscenes that feel more like scenes from a movie than "vidja games".

Just my impression. :|

I played KOTOR today and I got very sad about how fucking far Bioware has fallen.

Top Bottom