• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Pft. I don't want that DLC, even free. DA should be like super low, then blow up. Also, it would be best if we could read lots of speculation from everyone better. Higher quality textures!

hateradio

The shill phase of PR damage control is underway.

We're all just a vocal minority, apparently.
It's been like that for a while. First they deny anything, then say that only a few are vocal, then they want feedback, then they don't want destructive criticism, then they deny anything ever happened.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's been like that for a while. First they want feedback, then they don't want destructive criticism, then they deny anything ever happened.

PR 101: Wait it out.

Actually, waiting it out is the first step. You then have to move into direct confrontation/community management if that fails. Reputable companies use social media to reach out to their base. BioWare has done that.

Less reputable companies have shills in place in high visibility communities with robust post histories on topics that often have nothing to do with their company. These are usually the same people who run the Facebook/Twitter sites. Degenerate the opposition by labeling them as vocal minorities. Keep a level head, but continuously ignore the base of their issues, and instead stick to the points "it's not that bad, if you're outraged, you're overreacting. They said they're going to fix it. Stop being childish (entitled?)"

Replicant

Oh, this one is good. It does look like there were some cut scenes out of the final product but Bioware never had the chance to fully cleaned up the scenes, which explains why some people get to see dead squads in London scene but then they show up again back on Normandy:

Warning: you're about to see Garrus and Liara bite it big time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3PQT4c_r7Q

My guess is Bioware originally intended to kill the 2 people you took with you but at the last minute decides to make the situation ambiguous and leave it to your EMS number. On the other hand, had they kept it, there'll be more fan rage, I assume.

Personally, I wish there was an option where I get to kick 2 of my squadmates out of the harm's way or sending them back via shuttle to Normandy while Shepard sacrificed himself to activate the Crucible and kill the Reapers. That'd have been good. That'd have been an acceptable sad ending.

rdrr gnr

The shill phase of PR damage control is underway.

We're all just a vocal minority, apparently.
The vocal minority is inherently a fallacious argument. In theory, it wouldn't matter if only a single individual complained: If that individual's complaint was legitimate and sound, it would be worth considering on its own merit. Next, you have to consider the massive disparity between what we label a "gamer" or even a "fan." One's willing to express satisfaction or dissatisfaction scales with interest; thus, it is indifference or apathy for most others -- as we know. Meaning, the "vocal minority" may literally be the only group that has the capacity to render a cogent opinion. So, it isn't: only the vocal minority complains; therefore, all others are relatively satisfied and content. It's actually: only the vocal minority complains, because all others have relative disinterest and low investment; therefore, you could have literally filmed Casey Hudson taking a dump for an ending and it would not have been met with an uproar.

hateradio

Less reputable companies have shills in place in high visibility communities with robust post histories on topics that often have nothing to do with their company. These are usually the same people who run the Facebook/Twitter sites. Degenerate the opposition by labeling them as vocal minorities. Keep a level head, but continuously ignore the base of their issues, and instead stick to the points "it's not that bad, if you're outraged, you're overreacting. They said they're going to fix it. Stop being childish (entitled?)"
There have been several random people using those same words in other threads. It's obnoxious, but it's not a big deal. We should all try to detect these indoctrinated agents.

Hero

So on my ME3 Tumblr I think I caused this person to have a heart attack.

http://tmblr.co/Z1hixwIQfkJx

You know what. I really don’t mind the whole ‘Internet White Knight’ tag, so I think I’ll leave that one. You can knock off the patronizing attitude, though. It just kinda makes you look like a uppity jerk.

A writer can care for their fans and not be their bitch. They said they care about the fans. They said they listen to their fans. That doesn’t make them your, or anyone else’s bitch. They brought in Garrus and Tali as a love interest because the fans liked the characters and they decided to indulge the fans. Perhaps that’s a failing on Bioware’s part.

Truth be told, I wasn’t satisfied with the ending. It was confusing. Never said it wasn’t. However, I will feel a lot less respect for Bioware as a company if they cave to fan pressure and rewrite the ending. Because doing so makes it seem like they ARE your bitch. It will increase this entitled attitude of the fans that are demanding the ending be rewritten.

As a writer, I take offense to the idea that any fan has the right to demand that a writer change the ending of the story they told. Even if the story was confusing, or not what they hoped for. I take offense to the idea that they will create causes and object to the endings that have been written by other writers.

Everyone complaining about these endings are citing reasons like “I put hundreds of hours into this game!”

Yeah. PLAYING it. Not writing it, not doing designs for it, not doing any of the actual work. Your ‘job’ as of the purchase of this game was to sit back and play it. If you don’t like it, you can usually return physical copies for store credit. Meanwhile, all of these people who are bitching and complaining are acting like it’s the job of Bioware to change the ending so that they’re satisfied with the purchase they made.

In short, you’re demanding that Bioware writers, graphic designers, the voice actors, the people who did the actual work, come in to work on this game so that you can enjoy it in it’s entirety. You’re doing this before an official statement has been released by Bioware. You’re doing this after an official statement has been released that says that while they will not rewrite it, they will attempt to offer ‘clarification’ on it.

There are not many times I have gotten so filled with rage at a fandom that I want to fly into a screaming rage, and at this point, Mass Effect fandom has hit my rage switch so hard you would not even believe. Every time I hear someone bitch about the ending I want to say: Let’s say you put all this time into something you wrote, all this effort, and then got to the ending and had your fans say ‘We don’t like it, fix it.’

How the fuck would you feel? I’m serious. Now, I’ve already stated my opinion from a writer’s perspective.

My opinion on the game as a whole? It was fucking gold. It moved me to tears on several occasions. It made me laugh. It made me blind with rage. It made me want to play through -again- to see what the other romances were like. The ONLY part of the game that I found unsatisfactory was the last 10-20 minutes.

And as unsatisfactory as that part of the game was, I still would never ask Bioware to fix, or change it. Because I got what I paid for. And before I hear the rants about ‘Oh, almost a hundred dollars’, give me a fucking break. If you were that hard up for cash that you’re bitching about it now, you shouldn’t have spent it in the first place.

Now, this is the last post I’ll be making on this topic tonight, because I have to get up at 6:00 a.m. to get my son ready for Kindergarten, and then get my house straight for my husband to come home from a deployment. Any further comments re: this topic will be astutely ignored. Frankly, I’m on the verge of using tumblr savior to keep anything regarding the Mass Effect 3 ending from crossing my dash again.

I’m sick of the bitching. I’m sick of the attitudes, I’m sick of people acting like you have, attacking people with text who have a goddamn point. Since I wont be on Tumblr for about the next 24-48 hours, I probably wont see any response, regardless.

I don’t expect you to understand. You can keep on being angry about a video game and verbally attacking people if that makes you happy. I wish you the best of luck.

Oh, this one is good. It does look like there were some cut scenes out of the final product but Bioware never had the chance to fully cleaned up the scenes, which explains why some people get to see dead squads in London scene but then they show up again back on Normandy:

My guess is Bioware originally intended to kill the 2 people you took with you but at the last minute decides to make the situation ambiguous and leave it to your EMS number. On the other hand, had they kept it, there'll be more fan rage, I assume.

Personally, I wish there was an option where I get to kick 2 of my squadmates out of the harm's way or sending them back via shuttle to Normandy while Shepard sacrificed himself to activate the Crucible and kill the Reapers. That'd have been good. That'd have been an acceptable sad ending.

Honestly, I would've just shut my game off right there. Garrus AND Liara dead? I'd rather blow up all the relays in the galaxy!

hamchan

That is a shame. Why the heck they cut out good scenes like this and the Anderson scene I don't know. Oh wait I do know, they were lazy.

hateradio

Honestly, I would've just shut my game off right there. Garrus AND Liara dead? I'd rather blow up all the relays in the galaxy!
It really would have added more tragedy to the ending, and would have made some people kill themselves. :p

Not to mention that "THEY DIED FOR NOTHINGGGG!"

BSN breakdown.

Tokubetsu

If that scene was in the game, literally everyone would turn off their console/immediately reload. "Okay James Vega and Ashley Williams/Kaiden, it's your moment to shine!"

Moaradin

That is a shame. Why the heck they cut out good scenes like this and the Anderson scene I don't know. Oh wait I do know, they were lazy.

I don't see how this scene is good. I don't think abruptly killing off the two most iconic characters in Mass Effect like that would be a good idea.

When I was picking my squad I considered the possibility that they'd die (since they were pretty much beating you over the head with the concept that Shepard was gonna die). Took my favorites anyway since I figured they wouldn't dare.

Glad this idea was cut, anyway. Or would be glad if not for you know... everything that DID happen.

hateradio

I don't see how this scene is good. I don't think abruptly killing off the two most iconic characters in Mass Effect like that would be a good idea.
It wouldn't have been the two most iconic, just the two in your party, and probably only if you had a low EMS. Currently, I believe if you have a low EMS your party members are shown on the floor dead.

rdrr gnr

I love the title of the video: Mass Effect 3: Deleted Scene 1 - Liara & Garrus Death (Spoilers)

Oh, spoilers? I couldn't tell.
What about abruptly killing the entire storyline? EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.

That is why they give you Ash/Kaiden & Vega.

What's that Shep? You are letting us out of the cage?

Rock on.

commander-shepard-smile.jpg

If that scene was in the game, literally everyone would turn off their console/immediately reload. "Okay James Vega and Ashley Williams/Kaiden, it's your moment to shine!"

Bastard!!!!! I had to hunt down this picture in one of the other 7 threads.

Replicant

It really would have added more tragedy to the ending, and would have made some people kill themselves. :p

Bioware's HQ would be turned "to ashes" is more like it.

I did pick Javik and Vega because I had no attachment to them whatsoever. I can't possibly bring Garrus/Liara/Kaidan/Tali or even EDI to the last battle. Just in case there'd be some casualty. It was a good decision too because those two were like tanks. 5 brutes and they only died once. And since my EMS were high, I didn't see any of their body lying around post beam attack.

Tokubetsu

Imagine that scene playing, Ashley and Vega dying, then seeing the synthesis ending. Garrus and Liara walk out behind Edi and Joker.

"I'm so sorry Garrus and Liara, I should have let the laser beams take you!" ='(

Moaradin

Making them mysteriously vanish and appear back on the Normandy is worse.

Well, I'm not saying the current ending is any better but this scene would have just made it worse. Instead of the story getting into terrible territory at the elevator scene, it would have started here.

I'd pick Vega and Jacob if I could. God.

Jacob for sure. Especially if hes your love interest
lol
. Though Vega is definitely more interesting than kaiden is, and I'm conflicted on Ashley. Although she was a lot more likable in this game than ME1, she didn't do much at all in the game. Half of the time she was in a bed.

hamchan

Well, I'm not saying the current ending is any better but this scene would have just made it worse. Instead of the story getting into terrible territory at the elevator scene, it would have started here.

I disagree with you here. I think killing off 2 squad members in a brutal fashion if you have low EMS is pretty darn great.

They did the same thing in ME2, with all squad members possibly getting killed quick and easy in the suicide mission. I liked it.

Moaradin

I disagree with you here. I think killing off 2 squad members in a brutal fashion if you have low EMS is pretty darn great.

I don't have a problem killing them off in a brutal way. Take Wrex for example. You can off him off in the most dick and evil way possible. I wouldn't ever do that personally, but I like that there is a whole well made scene like that in the game. Having your important crew members dying would have been good too, but I would like more effort put into it instead of an abrupt beam killing them in 2 seconds.

Tajin

Banned
I don't have a problem killing them off in a brutal way. Take Wrex for example. You can off him off in the most dick and evil way possible, but I like that there is a whole well made scene like that in the game. Having your important crew members dying would have been good too, but I would like more effort put into it instead of an abrupt beam killing them in 2 seconds.

It'll take more than that to kill Garrus.

If anything, he'll just have more scars.

I wish Bailey had a bigger role; Michael Hogan is God-tier.

Play as him, gimpy leg and all, in Defend the Citadel DLC. Where all of your eavesdropping determines whether the Citadel holds out for five seconds or five minutes depending on how many quests you completed.

Everyone gets eaten in the end. Sorry.

rdrr gnr

Play as him, gimpy leg and all, in Defend the Citadel DLC. Where all of your eavesdropping determines whether the Citadel holds out for five seconds or five minutes depending on how many you completed.

Everyone gets eaten in the end. Sorry.
Then, suddenly, you start to hear Hendrix emanating from the walls?

Zeliard

Shame Bioware didn't have the balls to keep this scene in.

Replicant

Everyone worthwhile is dead. :(

I hope Miranda and Oriana wasn't on the Citadel when that happened. It'd be a waste of my time rescuing them. Oh wait, I suppose they're not since Miranda managed to talk to me on Holo-comm.

Anyone has a list of who were still on the Citadel when the Reapers moved it to Earth?

Hey, you posted the wrong link! I was the first to upload it!

Also, no offense to hateradio. I see him posting constantly, yet I can never tell what he's really saying or what side he is on during this whole thing. You confuse me man.

I found the whole thing weird. Jacob WAS on the Citadel hospital the last time I saw him but he was fine and speaking to my Shepard via Holo-comm. So I assume he manages to get away from the Citadel beforehand?

He was talking about killing more reapers than you, so yeah. I think most of the people Shepard knows were either on earth, on ships fighting the reapers in space, or on the crucible.

Replicant

I hope Kolyat was fighting some Reapers instead of staying in the hospital. Glad I took Chakwas with me on Normandy. But poor Dr Michel.

Hey, you posted the wrong link! I was the first to upload it!

Sorry, I didn't know. This thread moves too quickly. I'd edit the link with yours if you want.

senador

Banned
Wow, subscribe me to the indoctrination theory or I at least really hope its that. I just finished the 20 min video and its too obvious to me from watching that. I don't see how it could be an accident otherwise as each thing pointed out seems too deliberate, and not accidental.

rdrr gnr

Wow, subscribe me to the indoctrination theory or I at least really hope its that. I just finished the 20 min video and its too obvious to me from watching that. I don't see how it could be an accident otherwise as each thing pointed out seems too deliberate, and not accidental.
Has it been 50 posts? The cycle begins again.

Sorry, I didn't know. This thread moves too quickly. I'd edit thelink with yours if you want.

Nah it doesn't matter. Thanks though!

About the indoctrination theory -- the biggest flaw I see in that theory, is that if you manage to get the worst possible ending (totally screw the entire game) you still get the best ending (destroy). Which doesn't make sense...

senador

Banned
Has it been 50 posts? The cycle begins again.

Sorry, only finished the game last night. Been trying to keep up with the thread today but it move so fast, and I've been catching up on various sources all over.

About the indoctrination theory -- the biggest flaw I see in that theory, is that if you manage to get the worst possible ending (totally screw the entire game) you still get the best ending (destroy). Which doesn't make sense...

Which ending are you referring to? Blue/control?

Either way, no I don't think there is a flaw here. You either succumb to the indoctrination or you beat it, you don't necessarily destroy the reapers as its all in your head and the game has to pick back up on Earth where you got hit.

Top Bottom