• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Rapstah

Well, it's sort of the same idea behind what comes out of a "transporter", if such a device really existed. It breaks you down into your component parts and reassembles them at a distant location. Is it still really you, because it happens to be a perfect "copy" that happens to look like you, think like you? Is it just a murder-clone machine? So if you fundamentally alter what a person is, at the most basic level, is it still "them".

You've explicitly changed their DNA, those aren't comparable situations.

USIGSJ

Bottom line how I see it:
1) RGB rainbow - ending full with plot holes that nothing makes sense and contradicts itself
2) indoctrination theory - would make more sense with fewer inconsistencies, but effectively means you bought a game that came with no ending, which is even worse

Yeah, before finishing the game I might have thought like this "games journalist" guy, wtf is everyone ranting at the ending, must be some crybabies because Shepard died. Then you actually finish the game and regret why you haven't trusted Marauder Shields all along.

How can they add to that ending? How is DLC even going to work?

You'll have 3 colour coded choices.

Beaten Spouse Syndrome
You pay for DLC day one because you like the Mass Effect name.

The Lets get this over with.
You watch a play through of the DLC on Youtube.

The Meh.
You do somthing else and never bother with ME ever again.

No need to change the ending. Just accept and admit that it was one of the most terrible endings in gaming history and move on to other games.

You mean "us" or Bioware?

Personally, this needed to happen for me to really "get over" Bioware. I've been playing Bioware games for a long time and although the writing has been on the wall for the last two or so years...the way Mass Effect 3 was pushed out to market and little effort was put into having the game make sense in a number of ways; was necessary for me to realize that Bioware is truly headed in a different direction than I am.

The same happened with Nintendo this generation although Nintendo hasn't botched things the way Bioware has. They simply make games for a demographic that I am not a part of any longer.

For Bioware...between Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3. They either don't give a fuck anymore, or they are incompetent but I know I don't want to support a company that display either of those traits.

Zomba13

You'll have 3 colour coded choices.

Beaten Spouse Syndrome
You pay for DLC day one because you like the Mass Effect name.

The Lets get this over with.
You watch a play through of the DLC on Youtube.

The Meh.
You do somthing else and never bother with ME ever again.

Those aren't colours though :(

You've explicitly changed their DNA, those aren't comparable situations.

I'm not saying its one for one. Just a similar analogy.

I find Synthesis to be...
1) Bullshit meta-science nonsense.
2) Arrogant, in its assumption that the only way to achieve peace is to remove diversity.
3) You wouldn't be the same person you were before. A pod person. The same... but not.

DarkKyo

Well, it's sort of the same idea behind what comes out of a "transporter", if such a device really existed. It breaks you down into your component parts and reassembles them at a distant location. Is it still really you, because it happens to be a perfect "copy" that happens to look like you, think like you? Is it just a murder-clone machine? So if you fundamentally alter what a person is, at the most basic level, is it still "them".

Who says they got broken down? Maybe their matter was just altered, leaving their neural pathways and memories completely unaltered and uninterrupted. If this was the case, I don't see how they wouldn't be the same person.

inky

How can they add to that ending? How is DLC even going to work?

They are going to add a few dialogue lines to your conversation with the Starchild so you find more about his solutions. You'll get to pick between them like you did before, but this time different videos are going to play, (they will replace the existing video files in PC, or override the ones on disc) perhaps showing in more detail the fate of other people, even other planets. They are going to make sure these videos are unique to each ending and maybe there will be some text accompanying all explaining other more finer details.

That's it. New ending. Journalists are going to look even more like idiots, the majority of the dissenters are going to go: "That wasn't that hard, was it" or "That was all I was asking for Bioware, thank you for listening, I'm ready to buy a lot more DLC and all of your games, also next time, EDI for LI please!" and a very few are going to go: "Fuck you Bioware, I'm done with your games forever", maybe a lil bit of "I'm going to burn your offices down".

Then, life will go on as usual.

Tim-E

After all this outrage against this game, they're going to end up releasing "the REAL ending" DLC and make millions off of everyone who swore they hated this game and BioWare for ruining the series.

No need to change the ending. Just accept and admit that it was one of the most terrible endings in gaming history and move on to other games.

They are not gonna do that didn't you see how the good doctor threw the scores out there and how much the ballsucking critics were gushing over the game.

For Bioware...between Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3. They either don't give a fuck anymore, or they are incompetent but I know I don't want to support a company that display either of those traits.

BW are a company that makes RPG's, a genre that takes a lot of player involvement and thought out decision making and they are chasing the 'I only play shooters' crowed.
The two don't mix, not from RPG down, the success of COD (and Binary Domain) is that they start as shooters and add little things from RPG's.

If BW wants to carry on down this path they'll need to kill their lineage and drop any pretence of being a RPG house.

Well, the game says a lot of stuff and then does the opposite.
I received this from a friend who just beat ME3. This was his solution to the ending problem:

Proposal is as follows:
There should be a fourth option available at the end - and the beauty of it is that it would naturally branch in a way that satisfies both of the outcomes people are asking for.

Right now, the Guardian presents us with three options - destroy, control, and merge. Each are depressingly self-destructive in their own ways, and as we all know, we have no choice but to pick one. DLC could add a fourth option: REFUSE.

Shepard stabs a defiant finger in the Guardian's chest and declares it is not their right to "protect" us from the consequences of our own actions. If peace was forged between the Quarians and the Geth, Shepard cites that as proof that the Guardian's premise of inevitable conflict between synthetics and organics is wrong. If not, Shepard can simply deny the Guardian's conclusion and declare that we're going to go down fighting. Shepard delivers an ultimatum: take your abominations and go. Whether we live as a civilization or die by our own hand is a choice to be left to every one of us. So, f*** you very much, but thanks for thinking of us.

The Guardian blows off Shepard's ultimatum, and the Reapers continue to fight. At this point, the outcome is out of your hands. Shepard watches, unable to intervene, as the fleets continue to engage, the forces of the galaxy attempting to defeat the Reapers once and for all in conventional combat. The Guardian taunts you, trying to goad you into choosing one of the three options it offered, while assuming the forms of different people you've lost along the way: Virmire casualty, Anderson, and your love interest, dead or alive, just to screw with you. You can change your mind, or continue to stand and watch. If you gathered enough war assets (as in, much higher than the required amount for the "perfect" ending we're given now), the Reapers are defeated at horrific cost, but the Relay network remains intact, and Shepard gets to reunite with his/her LI and squad provided the Normandy survived the fight (itself dependent on other criteria). This would be the hardest ending to achieve, requiring the greatest effort and providing the most reward. You would really have to work your ass off to do this, but as evidenced by this poll, most of the people here would be willing to try.

If you didn't have enough resources, the Reapers emerge victorious, and, having defeated the combined military might of the galaxy, they are free to harvest everyone else. The cycle continues. They win. Either way, you get to spit in the devil's face once more instead of bowing to the invariably self-destructive choice he offers you.

Me: I personally think this solution would be profound. Furthermore, it really gives five endings for the game. If you we're not fully prepared for the war, then Shepherd allows the Reapers to win without sacrificing his integrity (which would be a major win in my book). Finally, if you were fully prepared then you receive the most rewarding ending possible with what I think could potentially be one of the most creative boss fights in gaming history...a battle of wills alone.

This has its problems, but I think it's a lot better

Who do I need to pay to see that ending?
At least it makes sense and they dont need to rewrite the whole ending (something I really think they need to do, but is not going to happen).
That would be the easier way for Bioware to get out of all this mess.

After all this outrage against this game, they're going to end up releasing "the REAL ending" DLC and make millions off of everyone who swore they hated this game and BioWare for ruining the series.

Doubtful.

There are so many gaps in the final third of the game that it would take a considerable amount of effort and resources from Bioware in order to put something in that that majority of people complaining would consider the "REAL ending".

I don't believe Bioware is willing to/capable of commiting the resources to doing so.

I can't imagine what things are like in the Bioware offices at the moment but "toxic" might be an appropriate word.

How do you tell your publisher, "So...the game we put out? Yeah...we need to work on it some more to fix the ending so those resources we have committed for other projects going forward? We can't do that just yet."

It's a fucking mess.

I'm in line with a few others here that this "new ending" is going to be fairly underwhelming.

Either way it's gonna be really interesting to watch.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
If it's not actually any gameplay then it better be fucking free.

BW are a company that makes RPG's, a genre that takes a lot of player involvement and thought out decision making and they are chasing the 'I only play shooters' crowed.
The two don't mix, not from RPG down, the success of COD (and Binary Domain) is that they start as shooters and add little things from RPG's.

If BW wants to carry on down this path they'll need to kill their lineage and drop any pretence of being a RPG house.

The path they are on is greed and nothing else. I am no longer on that path with them.

+1 for the Binary Domain plug. I'm loving that game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If it's not actually any gameplay then it better be fucking free.

It probably will be. As much as people like to bitch about the big evil corporation that is EA, they along with BioWare will want this media shit storm to die down as fast as possible. Releasing additional ending content and charging for it would stir a shit storm of it's own and I don't really think EA/BioWare would be ready for it.

This ties into my belief that the ending additions will be just that: additions, not any substantial playable content. The premise of the game will remain just as it is now. Same conversation, and same climax, with ultimately the same outcome. What we'll get are some additional dialogue options with the Catalyst (like Walters originally planned) to flesh out it's reasoning, and maybe some additional ending cinematics to give a better idea as to the galaxy's future and other little details, such as the Normandy's unexplained blast-off.

Charging for this would piss people off as is, but would also probably encourage people to then further complain about the lack of any substance to the additions, and how they fail to address the problem with the horrible ending narrative itself. Basically they'll pad out the existing ending for free, make the claim that they've given extra closure/lore to tie up loose ends, and call it a day.

That games radar article just reminds me why I always take GAF's opinions on games rather than 'videogame 'journalists' '.

I wish I had waited even a week to buy Mass Effect 3 but because of the demo and the initial deluge of extremely positve reviews on launch day...I got completely sucked in.

: /

Won't happen again.

jackdoe

If Bioware are merely adding to give closure, then I fully expect it to be "Epilogue Cards". Cheap way to provide "closure" while ignoring the rest of the problems with the ending.

Derrick01

Banned
It probably will be. As much as people like to bitch about the big evil corporation that is EA, they along with BioWare will want this media shit storm to die down as fast as possible. Releasing additional ending content and charging for it would stir a shit storm of it's own and I don't really think EA/BioWare would be ready for it.

This ties into my belief that the ending additions will be just that: additions, not any substantial playable content. The premise of the game will remain just as it is now. Same conversation, and same climax, with ultimately the same outcome. What we'll get are some additional dialogue options with the Catalyst (like Walters originally planned) to flesh out it's reasoning, and maybe some additional ending cinematics to give a better idea as to the galaxy's future and other little details, such as the Normandy's unexplained blast-off.

Charging for this would piss people off as is, but would also probably encourage people to then further complain about the lack of any substance to the additions, and how they fail to address the problem with the horrible ending narrative itself. Basically they'll pad out the existing ending for free, make the claim that they've given extra closure/lore to tie up loose ends, and call it a day.

Yup and at the end of the day nothing will have really changed. We're better off moving on now I guess :\

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
But wouldn't there still be an uproar with something like that? I don't think BSN will be satisfied.

I guess fans will just feel jaded by then. They had their chance to fix it and will just not give a shit. It'll be interesting to see reactions when a new Mass Effect gets announced.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If Bioware are merely adding to give closure, then I fully expect it to be "Epilogue Cards". Cheap way to provide "closure" while ignoring the rest of the problems with the ending.

The hypothetical of completely re-writing and re-building the ending requires:
- Conceptualisation.
- Drafting.
- Finalisation of design.
- Scripting and storyboarding.
- Newly recorded dialogue from the two leads and likely others (this alone requires booking, recording, and editing).
- New models, textures, and animations. For both gameplay and cinema scenes.
- All of the above programmed.
- QA.
- Release.

The scope of the best-case-scenario is so large that if it did happen EA would charge for it. Way too much time and money involved.

jackdoe

The scope of the best-case-scenario is so large that if it did happen EA would charge for it. Way too much time and money involved.
Which is why I don't expect it to happen, especially given what Bioware has said regarding the matter.

I wouldn't get your hopes up, 1200 points for a short graphic novel
That is another way they could take it actually. A choose your own adventure interactive comic book with bad art.

- Conceptualisation.
- Drafting.
- Newly recorded dialogue from the two leads and likely others (this alone requires booking, recording, and editing).
- QA.
- Release.

Awesome if it did happen, but I'm pretty comfortable with saying that a rewrite/redesign on that scale will never happen.

Barring a fan remake...which probably will happen.

inky

But wouldn't there still be an uproar with something like that? I don't think BSN will be satisfied.

maybe. as much as they like to bitch, they are satisfied really easily. There was once this thread in the BSN about Bioware launching a "worldwide" event with prizes and shit. When it came out, the event was only available to 48 states in the US. People bitched for hundreds of pages until Ray Muzyka apologized and promised some new stuff coming (that never came) and people were like Thank You Ray, I understand completely, like if their Gods spoke to them and that was enough.

I guess fans will just feel jaded by then. They had their chance to fix it and will just not give a shit. It'll be interesting to see reactions when a new Mass Effect gets announced.

I think they are jaded now, expecting all kinds of things from this. Like others have said, it's better to move on now than to expect anything significant.

Omega

Banned
It just sunk in. I finished it two week ago and haven't touched the game since then. There's no point to continue with a Mass Effect 4. The whole IP is as good as dead. Every single character and race we care about is dead or as good as dead. There's nothing to build from.

You have to admire BioWare for ending a franchise that could have made them billions of dollars.

To be fair, the characters and species made ME what it was.

But yeah, the IP is dead. It would be millions of years before anything like the Relays were built so you can't do anything in the future. While I would enjoy some prequels, something like The First Contact War, it wouldn't make for a good game.

They obviously didn't think too much about this.

EatChildren

To be fair, the characters and species made ME what it was.

But yeah, the IP is dead. It would be millions of years before anything like the Relays were built so you can't do anything in the future. While I would enjoy some prequels, something like The First Contact War, it wouldn't make for a good game.

They obviously didn't think too much about this.

Their intention was pretty much to kill the IP, at least in terms of future games. Hudson literally didn't see 'Mass Effect 4', or any Mass Effect game, taking place after the ending of Mass Effect 3. This is why it hurls the game universe into an abnormal state and why they deliberately left it as vague and open as possible. As far as they were concerned, this was the Mass Effect singularity: the point at which nobody could predict or understand what would come after.

I mean, even Hudson and co wanting this doesn't convince me it would actually stick, especially if fans kept demanding post-game stuff. But yeah, it ends so definitively because that was the intention.

Which is, in turn, completely baffling, and absurdly destructive to your own IP.

Omega

Banned
- Conceptualisation.
- Drafting.
- QA.
- Release.

You can remove QA from that process. They obviously don't do that or this game wouldn't have released in the state it was in.

Aside from the ending, they still have tons of major/minor issues.

1. Face import issues - I didn't play this game for a week waiting on word about this, nothing came so I just had to manually create my Shepard to the best of my ability.

2. Throughout the game, dialogue is just so weird because Shepard, or the person you're talking to isn't even looking at you. Example, when you first talk to Liara on the Normandy. You're both staring at Glyph.

3. Co-op is a bugged mess. On multiple maps enemies can get glitched in their spawn points making it difficult to kill them and I've had a few games where it's impossible because we couldn't even see them.

4. The Codex is REALLY annoying. Why is it default on Citadel: Improve Grid?

jackdoe

2. Throughout the game, dialogue is just so weird because Shepard, or the person you're talking to isn't even looking at you. Example, when you first talk to Liara on the Normandy. You're both staring at Glyph.
Haha, don't forget the Exorcist style revolving heads. Creeped me out.

Omega

Banned
Their intention was pretty much to kill the IP, at least in terms of future games. Hudson literally didn't see 'Mass Effect 4', or any Mass Effect game, taking place after the ending of Mass Effect 3. This is why it hurls the game universe into an abnormal state and why they deliberately left it as vague and open as possible. As far as they were concerned, this was the Mass Effect singularity: the point at which nobody could predict or understand what would come after.

I mean, even Hudson and co wanting this doesn't convince me it would actually stick, especially if fans kept demanding post-game stuff. But yeah, it ends so definitively because that was the intention.

Which is, in turn, completely baffling, and absurdly destructive to your own IP.

If they didn't want to do anything post ME3, that's fine. But to end it that way. What's the point? You killed your own IP for what...artistic integrity? Who knows what their buzzword is now.

In three years BioWare is going to be closed by EA and it's going to be their own fault. They have lost the respect from the Mass Effect fans and while I never played Dragon Age, I hear it's the same over there. Their games aren't going to sell because no one has any faith in them to make a competent game anymore and EA doesn't keep you around unless you make them profits.

Hope the high-level dialogue was worth it.

EatChildren

Eh, BioWare's future is in the hands of people buying their games, and at the moment that's an unknown. Dragon Age 3 will decide the future of that franchise and, controversy or not, Mass Effect 3 is more than well established.

If Dragon Age 3 bombs hard they'll kill that. If EA is concerned about the Mass Effect uproar they'll do enough to the series to help bend it towards a new audience (eg: Mass Uncharted) that doesn't really give a shit about how ME3 ended (remember, EA considers this the best entry point to the series, and I guaranty the absurd ending will less of a deal to people who haven't invested three games worth of play time).

Then there's BioWare's new IP, which will probably be for next gen. All that takes is marketing it to the right person and you're good to go.

Longevity of sales is the key. The uproar now isn't indicative of the uproar twelve months from now. We'll just have to wait and see, but I don't see BioWare going anywhere. In fact, I suspect many Mass Effect fans who were disappointed with ME3's to still jump on another Mass Effect game.

I'd know. I'm one of them :(.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Eh, BioWare's future is in the hands of people buying their games, and at the moment that's an unknown. Dragon Age 3 will decide the future of that franchise and, controversy or not, Mass Effect 3 is more than well established.

If Dragon Age 3 bombs hard they'll kill that. If EA is concerned about the Mass Effect uproar they'll do enough to the series to help bend it towards a new audience (eg: Mass Uncharted) that doesn't really give a shit about how ME3 ended (remember, EA considers this the best entry point to the series, and I guaranty the absurd ending will less of a deal to people who haven't invested three games worth of play time).

Then there's BioWare's new IP, which will probably be for next gen. All that takes is marketing it to the right person and you're good to go.

Longevity of sales is the key. The uproar now isn't indicative of the uproar twelve months from now. We'll just have to wait and see, but I don't see BioWare going anywhere. In fact, I suspect many Mass Effect fans who were disappointed with ME3's to still jump on another Mass Effect game.

i agree with you...
But i don't think Bioware is now at the level of valve,bungie,epic,naughty dog etc...
at the time of dragon age origins,mass effect and before that,they were!

Jaffaboy

Me too. The actual game is getting better and better. It feels difficult to give credit to BioWare on the good things now because of this uproar but there is a whole lot of awesome in the game. The game is slick, which is proven in the multiplayer too which really surprised me on how good it is. It's just a shame about the awful lameness of other parts.

You can remove QA from that process. They obviously don't do that or this game wouldn't have released in the state it was in.

Aside from the ending, they still have tons of major/minor issues.

1. Face import issues - I didn't play this game for a week waiting on word about this, nothing came so I just had to manually create my Shepard to the best of my ability.

3. Co-op is a bugged mess. On multiple maps enemies can get glitched in their spawn points making it difficult to kill them and I've had a few games where it's impossible because we couldn't even see them.

4. The Codex is REALLY annoying. Why is it default on Citadel: Improve Grid?

5. People turning invisible, happened a lot in my game, mainly during convos.

Melchiah

What I'd really like to know is, that whether the 100% galactic readiness I had will stay where it was, if there'll be another ending, or whether I'd have to do it all over again? If it's the latter, and it's crucial to the ending, I'm going to skip it, as I won't be going through another ~20 MP matches again. Not in the least because EA's server tended to disconnect me during matches.

So I finally beat it last night. I've got 488+ pages of spoiler thread to read through, it looks like, but I'm looking forward to doing so.

I loved the ending. Destroyed the Reapers and my Shep lived.

I understand some of the hate with the "merge" ending. If they just scrapped that choice, I think things would be a bit better received.

Anyway, bittersweet. I already miss this series.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So I finally beat it last night. I've got 488+ pages of spoiler thread to read through, it looks like, but I'm looking forward to doing so.

I understand some of the hate with the "merge" ending. If they just scrapped that choice, I think things would be a bit better received.

Anyway, bittersweet. I already miss this series.

Read the first post. Watch the videos, then come back haha

I'm a bit baffled by statements like this BUT...good for you. I'm genuinely glad for you. You don't feel like you wasted your money or your time.

I feel the opposite and it sucks.

EatChildren

Liara's time capsule is in my top five moments of the game. It's very humbling and I think cleverly played on the player's obvious expectation to beat the Reapers, by humouring the possibility they won't.

Top Bottom