• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renekton

As I stated earlier, this is what I find interesting about Mass Effect: Andromeda. Their last three games were arguably poor, but mainstream critics didn't seem to think so. Did they finally just catch up now? Is the game really that much worse? Does it offend in ways that are more intolerable to mainstream audiences such as production values?
I can imagine you and Durante with monocles and posh British accents twirling wine glasses on an exclusive balcony, laughing at us mainstream peasants.

Trickster

Well that's certainly not the outcome I was hoping to see. Will still get the game since I took time off work to be able to enjoy it. Buuut, definitely not preordering another Bioware game, or doing a media blackout.

At least it can't be worse than DA:I

she is looking...
WJIvEB1.gif

"its just the way we did mo-cap"

Yeah, that question is actually more interesting to me than the game ;)

yeah, this is basically how I feel. I thought the first game was pretty good, but the sequels felt very modularised, with poor sense of exploration given the premise. More over, the writing was always pretty weak in my opinion.

I was actually hoping the distance between this and the trilogy would revitalise the formula...seems not.

Ulong

Lol.

Know what I would love, though? A metacritic-like aggregator, but instead of simply taking the scores each outlet gives, it normalies all the scores that come from any given outlet so that they always average out to 50/100. So if an outlet's scores are normally distributed from 50-100, this aggregator would change them so they're normally distributed from 0-100. If that makes any sense. So each outlet's score for a given game is a reflection of where that outlet ranks that game relative to all other games on a full 100-point scale, and the overall "metascore" accurately reflects what percentile the game belongs to. Would be hilarious.

I don't think that really works because within an outlet different reviewers are going to have different averages, you'd have to normalize based on individual reviewer, and then you'd have to normalize based on more complicated bias's beyond that (like rating certain genre's higher/more harshly as an example)

Strike

Oh, well. I wasn't going to buy it at full price anyway. EA games usually drop in price pretty quickly so hopefully I can pick this up before the end of the year around $20 -$25.

reading the gamespot review, you gotta wonder how it scored higher in some of the other reviews for the plethora of technical issues.

TheYanger

Lol.

Know what I would love, though? A metacritic-like aggregator, but instead of simply taking the scores each outlet gives, it normalies all the scores that come from any given outlet so that they always average out to 50/100. So if an outlet's scores are normally distributed from 50-100, this aggregator would change them so they're normally distributed from 0-100. If that makes any sense. So each outlet's score for a given game is a reflection of where that outlet ranks that game relative to all other games on a full 100-point scale, and the overall "metascore" accurately reflects what percentile the game belongs to. Would be hilarious.

The problem is every site gives super low scores from time to time, just for the lulz/clicks you'll get some ACTUAL trash game get a 1 or 2 once in a blue moon. Then any major release is still on the like 50-100 scale.

Slaythe

MGS4, an early gen PS3 titles, animations blow this game out of the water x5000000.

A game which literally came out 9 years ago.

metal gear solid 3 which came out 13 years ago has better facial animations

I wanted to get this game because of the hilarious voice acting and animation, but my god. a 70 for a triple AAA title.

tumblr_lz2vvxNCWv1qas7f1o3_250.gif

tumblr_m7mwd1Yajl1rx0b4wo1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_nt580nWiEl1qcsioio1_500.gif

All ps2.

Parahan

Eurogamer-On a good day you can expect frequent texture pop-in, facial animations that run the gamut from "just had my Botox" to "quick, phone the exorcist", and performance that sags from 30 frames a second into what feels like single digits. And on a bad day? Well, where to begin.

WJIvEB1.gif

My thoughts exactly.Smh.

Agreed. Especially the last paragraph.

I can count on one hand how many games I've played in my life that I would consider to have good writing. None of the ME games would make that list. Not even close. So I kind of shrug my shoulders a bit seeing people putting so much stock into that aspect of the game. (The atmosphere, art direction, music, and world design is what grabbed me)

Buuuut with that being said, everyone should desire quality writing from their games no matter the situation. And I don't believe games should get a pass on their shortcomings.
Totally, it's not like Mass Effect games have been nominated and won several story, character, and writing awards.

Oh wait...

Yeah, sorry, but no. The writing in the previous games is superior to much of the dialog and plot delivery than what I experienced with the trial. Stop making excuses for the subpar quality.

Ulong

reading the gamespot review, you gotta wonder how it scored higher in some of the other reviews for the plethora of technical issues.

Game reviews are inherently based on subjective opinions, not a checklist of technical qualities. Surely you've played a video game that had loads of bugs but you still loved anyway right? I'm not saying MEA is going to be one of those games mind you.

Basketball

Hey remember that shitty game called Dragon Age Inquisition
Don't do any of that

game comes out ... does all those shitty things

THIS IS THE ONE THING WE DIDN'T WANT TO HAPPEN

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
God damn it. Why do sci-fi games have to suffer... Deus Ex MD and now Mass Effect... come on..... Do we really need to wait for Cyberpunk to get another great masterpiece in sci fi rpg genre? Prey isnt technically an rpg but god I hope it turns out great..
DXMD is good, though, just incomplete. Still better than Invisible War too.

geordiemp

Agreed. Especially the last paragraph.

I can count on one hand how many games I've played in my life that I would consider to have good writing. None of the ME games would make that list. Not even close. So I kind of shrug my shoulders a bit seeing people putting so much stock into that aspect of the game. (The atmosphere, art direction, music, and world design is what grabbed me)

Preach, its like, go on then, tell me a game you reviewed in past 6 months that had great story and acting...Even Paragon etc I did not really care that much, it was just atmosphere and characters and combat that I enjoyed.

Lanrutcon

Didn't we have a "2017 Gaming Failure Predictions" (or something like that) thread earlier in the year, and ME:A bombing was a common prediction?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
rPNCqww.jpg

Joking aside though,...

I'm sorry, but I don't play RPGs (and ME) to experience a lack of an interesting and compelling story, villains, characters etc. And I don't care how good the combat is this time around, cuz that's not the main reason I played / playing the first 3 ME games or just RPGs in general. The story and everything related to it is the most important thing in RPGs. Plus, the fact that you can't controll your teammates and give orders to them like you did in the first trilogy is a huge let down for me as well cuz there no tactical thinking envolved at all during combat and you can only hope that AI is good enough to handle the situation, but even if it is good enough... still, all of this removes very important layer of combat I think and make it simplier for a casual audience. Sure, the combat is faster now and all, but I also want more depth, complexity and tactical thinking.

I mean, some may say that ME stopped being an actual and traditional RPG after the first ME, moved towards more action oriented gameplay in ME2 and even more so in ME3 and they're right. but even then this movie was made without the cost of better story etc. (let's just forget about Terminator at the end of the ME2, it doesn't really matter). So... you kind want to aproach the game from a different point of view and look at it as a more action oriented type of game (which it is) and maybe then you can sort of accept the many negatives and shortcomings it has in terms of story, villians etc. but.... I just can't do that, especialy looking back at the first trilogy and remembering all that was in there during the course of all three games in terms of story (and everything related to it), characters, villains etc. I can't help but think that Andromeda just never gonna top all this or even get close, and by reading some reviews it is safe to say at this poit that the first trilogy is better when it comes to story, villains etc.

I want to play the game myself for at least 30 hours and then say how I feel about it... but I don't know if I really wan't to do that right now, at the full price and at a time when there's more games waiting to be played and which certeinly wont dissapoint me. And so, I'll go for Nier: Automata this month which is a pretty safe bet at this point, even with screen resolution scale problems that this game currently has and which are temporary fixed by moder already. I feel sad for ME, this universe deserves a lot better in terms of story etc. I mean, If the writers in your team is not talanted enough, how about starting to take insperations from really good Sci-Fi books if you can't write interesting and compelling story, villains etc. on your own? How about working with best Hollywood writers which wrote amazing sci-fi scripts, characters, villains etc.? Think about it. There's no shame in all this.

Silvard

So you get little exponents of dialogue but the quest itself is still no bueno. Like I said I'm only about 5-6 hours in but I've done a good handful of quests. So, unless they change drastically within the remaining 15 hours or so...

80% of the sidequests, if not a bit more, are fetch/kill/gather(which are mostly from kills) quests.

Absolutely false lol, even the more bland ones always at least have some cool or humorous dialogue attached to it. Meanwhile the most interesting sidequests in XV was what, the legendary weapons and the one that had you do the Sealed Dungeons, and you just go and kill some monsters. No story or interesting dialogue of any kind accompanied it.

Personally I'm referring to the game design aspect of the quests, and presumably so is Drillary Clinton. Yes, in Nier the sidequests are a vehicle for exposition, maybe more so than in other games, but the quest structure and objectives aren't very good for the most part. I did the sidequests in spite of those, just to get at more of the story.

Phlebas

Banned
God damn it. Why do sci-fi games have to suffer... Deus Ex MD and now Mass Effect... come on..... Do we really need to wait for Cyberpunk to get another great masterpiece in sci fi rpg genre? Prey isnt technically an rpg but god I hope it turns out great..
Probably

Renekton

If it doesn't sell well, EA/Bioware will do the minimum effort and mostly fix the worst bugs in single player and leave the project behind with some minor dedicated MP support to foster player transactions. My guess.
I think they will fix medium priority bugs as well.

Ratros

That RPS review... Sigh.

I guess this time it would be a good idea to wait for the first wave of patches/DLCs before making the purchase. Hopefully the multiplayer user base will still be large enough at that time. BTW, are the technical problems that serious on regular PS4? I can deal with a few frame rate drops now and then but hiccups all the time would be unbearable.

As I stated earlier, this is what I find interesting about Mass Effect: Andromeda. Their last three games were arguably poor, but mainstream critics didn't seem to think so. Did they finally just catch up now? Is the game really that much worse? Does it offend in ways that are more intolerable to mainstream audiences such as production values?
I choose D: all the above.
with more weight on the last two possibilities.

BigAl1992

DXMD is good, though, just incomplete. Still better than Invisible War too.

While you're here fella, when will we get a full technical breakdown of the game? Although I'm hoping by this stage it won't set your consoles on fire from the amount of bugs reported....

LotusHD

Banned
Personally I'm referring to the game design aspect of the quests, and presumably so is Drillary Clinton. Yes, in Nier the sidequests are a vehicle for exposition, maybe more so than in other games, but the quest structure and objectives aren't very good for the most part. I did the sidequests in spite of those, just to get at more of the story.

Yea I know you were, that's why I didn't quote you lol

Didn't get that impression from Drillary though.

killatopak

Gold Member
Guess I'm not gonna buy this game then.

I still have a lot of games to play and hopefully, once I get the time, the price should be way lower.

80% of the sidequests, if not a bit more, are fetch/kill/gather(which are mostly from kills) quests.

That's very disheartening. I'm not that far into the game and my stomach for these quests is already almost full. I think I'll skip most of them.

Mdk7

Ouch.
Seriously, it's mind-boggling to think that a new entry for a franchise this big is sitting at 75 on Metacritic. What.The.Fuck.EA.

Khoryos

Not that hard. God that game was a weirdo trainwreck.

Hard disagree on that - Invisible War created a phenomenal world. The limited memory did make levels a little cramped, true, but stuff like coffee shop rivalry and (particularly) the NG Resonance AI were brilliant.

Fishook

Myself personally I generally don't touch Japanese produced games due to their art style and gameplay, no matter how highly they are rated. Same with loads of popular games I tend to play what appeals to me.

I have no interest in Multiplayer these days, but I will pick up Andromeda later this week. I quite enjoy janky games but the price of this game is putting me off a bit on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom