• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
People were calling this GOTY contender. This is one of the biggest flops of the generation. Such a long wait and can't even crack 80 metacritic for a AAA franchise.

BioWare Montreal are dead. Have no idea why EA thought it was a good idea to let the amateurs handle one of their big name IPs.

Best wishes.

And it'll bing the whole team down in the long run. It's Bioware.

Good luck releasing that new IP and new Dragon Age game.

People don't forgive, people don't forget.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Who would have thought 5 months ago Horizon would have turned out better than the new ME?

Everyone who had been following both game's development, that's who. ME:A has clearly been in trouble since it's kinda/sorta announcement, and Horizon has always looked polished as fuck.

TI82

Banned
I have never really owned a console, that's the reason. I don't mind some of the Nintendo games when I have played on them, but not enough to purchase a system.

You can surely emulate them, and to be fair PC ports are just now getting good from Japanese studios. You really are missing out on gaming royalty by not playing many Japanese games though. Something in that water just spawns amazing games. Breath of the wild even proves that Nintendo hasn't lost their touch to this day despite skyward sword being a thing.

This is true, look how well Ghost Recon is selling.

Ghost Recon has a mass appeal that ME doesnt really have tho. It's a dudebro co-op shooter that had a lot of marketing behind it. ME is pretty much strictly appealing to "hardcore" gamers who have been seeing it get pretty much crucified for the last 2 weeks.
I think it's the best Dragon Age game
, but i also think Dragon Age is a mediocre series
Agree and then disagree lol

newjeruse

It doesn't get any better though. Fall is stacked. Next Spring is stacked. What do you do?

Reviews may have taken a hit, but the casual base is going to flock to this over Persona or Neir. Better odds than fighting Red Dead 2 or Destiny 2 or Star Wars Visceral, which are going to suck in the casual base.
I dunno. Release in summer? But missing the fiscal corporate year is a big deal.

It will sell fine. But reviews and word of mouth matter. Considering all these companies create sales projections for these games, I have a very hard time seeing ME:A outperform projections. That will be what's it's success is judged against at a corporate level.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Really curious to see how I feel about this in the end. I could not get through DA:I even though I usually am fine with Bioware games, and the trial was fun enough for me even if it definitely has issues.

Sucks to see this either way as I really enjoy the series, but such a long dev time scoring like this is a bad look.

Feel let down by EA/Bioware

Love the series but ever since the gameplay reveal I felt deep down there was something off about the game.

The one game I wanted to see be a critical hit....pretty dejected about it but half expected.

Keasar

I read enough on the RockPaperShotgun review, instead of learning from their past mistakes in writing, they just doubled down in awfulness. God the examples mentioned sounded beyond stupid especially after games like Shadowrun, The Witcher 3, Pillars, etc. have done a admirably better job at giving you some nuance.
One member of your crew, a scientist, reveals to you that she believes in God. Now, this is old territory for Mass Effect, where in the first game you had a right-wing Christian on your crew, and it was handled especially well. Not so this time! This is genuinely the conversation:
”Just all of it. So alien. A constant reminder of the divine intelligence behind all creation."
”Divine intelligence? A god?"
”Yes, I believe in a higher power. I know it's a little odd. But I'm a scientist because science brings me closer to something greater than myself."
To this you are given two possible responses. Beyond all credibility, they are: ”I feel the same way." Or ”There's no higher power."
This is the kind of writing I have grown to expect from a Bethesda game, and now Bioware have sunk to that level as well. Not even a polite-sorta "You do you." answer.

MavFan619

Banned
doc-rivers.gif

Mario? Zelda? Dark Souls? Dragon Quest?

Like... to write off an entire countries' games is just astounding.
Especially based on gameplay, where I feel personally Japan comes out ahead. But hey to each their own. Not surprised on the reviews, combat looks decent enough, but the game comes off as a joke during the role playing part.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Any chance the next game is a reboot? Or is their too much already invested? Pebee is no Liara, turkey is no tali, and Ryder is no Shepard. #notmycaptain

I think it's questionable if there will be a next game. The main teams at BioWare have moved on from ME and EA generally doesn't hesitate to kill franchises.

To be honest, Fallout 4 for me is the least buggiest game by bethesda(still its buggy in some cases). But ME:A takes the cake, with the looks of it.

Agreed. Fallout 4 was quite polished for a Bethesda game.

At least there's no noticeable gamebreaking bugs like in their previous games.

danowat

Banned
Why are you looking at that one when it has less reviews and likely will have less reviews than the PS4 version?

Aside from the less reviews, it could be an interesting point, that was also mentioned earlier in the thread, that some recent PS4 games have raised the bar, leading to reviews looking at ME:A with harsher eyes.

Not sure I agree with that though, with the time I spent with the trial, it's clear the game is a bit of a mess.

Sandfox

Well I guess now we know why EA was so secretive about this game until recently. This is a pretty big failure considering how important this game should have been for them.

noise36

Myself personally I generally don't touch Japanese produced games due to their art style and gameplay, no matter how highly they are rated.

Yeah pretty much. I've started nier and it's holding my interest so far but man it gets a pass on a lot of things...its not a well made game technically. A lot of similar issues regarding dialogue and animations but no one is talking about it in that way just praising it.

Joeku

You can't con people, at least not for long.
You can create excitement, you can do wonderful promotion and get all kinds of press, and you can throw in a little hyperbole.
But if you don't deliver the goods, people will eventually catch on.

Sad!

Timely.

spekkeh

Banned
I think it's the best Dragon Age game
, but i also think Dragon Age is a mediocre series
Haha yep same.

My hate for DA:I is solely the trepidation that it's bad sides were going to bleed over to my precious Mass Effect. Which turned out true to my disgust. Evaluated on its own merit, it's the best game in a weak series.

I read enough on the RockPaperShotgun review, instead of learning from their past mistakes in writing, they just doubled down in awfulness. God the examples mentioned sounded beyond stupid especially after games like Shadowrun, The Witcher 3, Pillars, etc. have done a admirably better job at giving you some nuance.

This is the kind of writing I have grown to expect from a Bethesda game, and now Bioware have sunk to that level as well. Not even a polite-sorta "You do you." answer.
This is sad.

Is Mac Walters still the lead writer? After Drew left everything kind of went downhill in the writing department in the franchise.

ResoRai

Why are you looking at that one when it has less reviews and likely will have less reviews than the PS4 version?
Saw the PS4 version (since it's in the op) start at 77, drop down to 73, now at 75. Just wondering how high the game will reach. Think it's been at 77 even around half the reviews it has now. Not to say it won't start dropping.

benzopil

Yeah pretty much. I've started nier and it's holding my interest so far but man it gets a pass on a lot of things...its not a well made game technically. A lot of similar issues regarding dialogue and animations but no one is talking about it in that way just praising it.

Nier has SIMILAR issues regarding dialogue and animations? Wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom