• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Myself personally I generally don't touch Japanese produced games due to their art style and gameplay, no matter how highly they are rated. Same with loads of popular games I tend to play what appeals to me.

I have no interest in Multiplayer these days, but I will pick up Andromeda later this week. I quite enjoy janky games but the price of this game is putting me off a bit on PC.

I wanted to get Andromeda too just because of how it looked and how cringe the voice acting sounded

But this...this is even too much for me.

newjeruse

This is the worst time in the last 5 years to release a mediocre game. Despite the franchise's big name, there's way too many other options right now. It's honestly suffocating.

A-V-B

Hard disagree on that - Invisible War created a phenomenal world. The limited memory did make levels a little cramped, true, but stuff like coffee shop rivalry and (particularly) the NG Resonance AI were brilliant.

Wow. First time I've ever seen someone defend Invisible War.

Man, these scores are all over the place. Surprised to see Game Informer and IGN so low, and Metro Gamecentral is one of my most trusted review sites (they actually use the full scale) so a 6/10 from them is pretty troubling. I wonder how Edge will rate it.

TI82

Banned
Myself personally I generally don't touch Japanese produced games due to their art style and gameplay, no matter how highly they are rated.

doc-rivers.gif

Mario? Zelda? Dark Souls? Dragon Quest?

Like... to write off an entire countries' games is just astounding.

Good thing I'm not easily swayed by reviews. All I care about is solid gameplay and lore and from what I played in the trial, this game is solid in both categories. Glitches and performance issues can be fixed with patches, poor gameplay can't. No Man's Sky was a game that was sort og crappy at launch and patches have turned it around. I expect the same thing to happen here with ME:A. I'm disappointed with the reception but I really enjoyed the trail from my time spent with it. MP mode will be a blast with friends.

Slaythe

Good thing I'm not easily swayed by reviews. All I care about is solid gameplay and lore and from what I played in the trial, this game is solid in both categories. Glitches and performance issues can be fixed with patches, poor gameplay can't. No Man's Sky was a game that was sort og crappy at launch and patches have turned it around. I expect the same thing to happen here with ME:A. I'm disappointed with the reception but I really enjoyed the trail from my time spent with it. MP mode will be a blast with friends.

Good luck waiting for the patch fixing mocap and writing.

Silvard

Hey remember that shitty game called Dragon Age Inquisition
Don't do any of that

game comes out ... does all those shitty things

THIS IS THE ONE THING WE DIDN'T WANT TO HAPPEN

I can't blame them for getting mixed messages here. DA:I was pretty acclaimed back when it was released.

That's very disheartening. I'm not that far into the game and my stomach for these quests is already almost full. I think I'll skip most of them.

Just do them in small doses. Don't try to keep your log clear or anything of the sort. You can always come back to them after you're done with the story and power through them in batches. Some of the stories behind them add a lot to the overall experience. Some are also pretty interesting to do in terms of objectives (eg. there's one where you have to
help someone debug a video game they're developing
).

But nothing wrong with skipping them if you're not enjoying them.

JetsonIsAJet

Neo Member
75 is about where I expected the scores to fall. I've loved games in that range, so I'm certainly not afraid to give it a chance. I don't think looking at an aggregate of 75 should in any way deter you from looking into our enjoying a game. The content of the reviews is sort of awkward though, and I suppose reviews are subjective. It just seems strange that many of these reviews will list one thing as a negative and another review will list it as a positive. If you whole heartedly trust GameSpot and you look at that review and what they say in it, yeah i'd be very turned off by it, and maybe a bit worried.

For situations like this I think it's important to do your own esearch and look at game play videos and make your decision from there. Forums are usually not the place to do that, because it always devolves into extremes with people. Some people are gonna love this game. Some people are gonna hate it. But decrying it a failure and bad because of a 75 seems out of touch.

The most mind blowing thing to me is how they can spend 5 years working on a top shelf IP and then produce....this. It looks looks like a majority of groups working on this game just completely blew it.

What are the chances this team even survives now? Even if the game sells well out of the gate I can't imagine EA is too happy right now considering that it seems like Andromeda will have a negative impact on the Mass Effect brand as a whole.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Haven't had a chance to read any reviews yet, are the technical problems just bugs or are there performance issues as well? I won't be playing this for another 3 weeks on the Pro so hopefully it's in a decent shape by then.

Acid08

Banned
Can it dethrone KOTOR2 as the worst Bioware RPG?

Old post at this point but holy shit this post rules. The discourse around this game is hilarious.

What the reviews are telling me in this: a flawed game but there is absolutely something in there worth playing. They also tell me that it's fine waiting on playing this for now, which is fine with me. Haven't even started Nier and P5 is right around the corner.

I look forward to playing it in a few months and seeing what kind of things they fix or change in patches.

Tecnniqe

Banned
From what I played of the trial it's definitely around a 6.5/7. Surprised that it's reviewing under 80 though.
You can't con people, at least not for long.
You can create excitement, you can do wonderful promotion and get all kinds of press, and you can throw in a little hyperbole.
But if you don't deliver the goods, people will eventually catch on.

Trickster

Rozart

Myself personally I generally don't touch Japanese produced games due to their art style and gameplay, no matter how highly they are rated. Same with loads of popular games I tend to play what appeals to me.

I have no interest in Multiplayer these days, but I will pick up Andromeda later this week. I quite enjoy janky games but the price of this game is putting me off a bit on PC.

I mean, to each their own but not even games like Zelda? Or Bloodborne or Dark Souls? The Last Guardian or SoTC?

People were calling this GOTY contender. This is one of the biggest flops of the generation. Such a long wait and can't even crack 80 metacritic for a AAA franchise.

BioWare Montreal are dead. Have no idea why EA thought it was a good idea to let the amateurs handle one of their big name IPs.

Best wishes.

Good luck waiting for the patch fixing mocap and writing.
I'm okay with the writing actually. Not expecting too much from it, videogame writing isn't exactly what I consider quality stuff especially the cookie cutter sci-fi that is the ME series. Mocap is an issue but it didn't bother me much from my playthrough. What I do expect patches to fix and performance issues and glitches. I'll be fine.

Slaythe

The worst part is I was actually taking a wait and see approach for DA:I after DA2, and then when the glowing reviews came in I was happy, figured I was in for a treat when the average score was that high. Turns out the only things high was the people who reviewed the game

I can only make sense of those scores by the fact that it had almost no competition.

Came early and dodged millions of bullets.

Worst game I've played yet this gen. Pure hell, a real chore. Didn't finish it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The most mind blowing thing to me is how they can spend 5 years working on a top shelf IP and then produce....this. It looks looks like a majority of groups working on this game just completely blew it.

What are the chances this team even survives now? Even if the game sells well out of the gate I can't imagine EA is too happy right now considering that it seems like Andromeda will have a negative impact on the Mass Effect brand as a whole.

This type of MC score is the kind that gets studios restructured and forced to work on map packs for the rest of time. That's all this studio is capable of doing.

This is the worst time in the last 5 years to release a mediocre game. Despite the franchise's big name, there's way too many other options right now. It's honestly suffocating.

It doesn't get any better though. Fall is stacked. Next Spring is stacked. What do you do?

Reviews may have taken a hit, but the casual base is going to flock to this over Persona or Neir. Better odds than fighting Red Dead 2 or Destiny 2 or Star Wars Visceral, which are going to suck in the casual base.

Makikou

Old post at this point but holy shit this post rules. The discourse around this game is hilarious.

What the reviews are telling me in this: a flawed game but there is absolutely something in there worth playing. They also tell me that it's fine waiting on playing this for now, which is fine with me. Haven't even started Nier and P5 is right around the corner.

I look forward to playing it in a few months and seeing what kind of things they fix or change in patches.

Yeah I think the reviews are pretty much what I feel personally about the trial: As a huge Mass Effect fan I'm still enjoying the heck out of it and can't wait to start properly at it today.. but I have no issue acknowledging there's some super rough edges and some stuff that is inexplicable from Bioware even when you count in their trademark jank.

I'll probably finish this one off quick just because I really get into it.

Crumpo

Well, that settles it-this is definitely a "wait-and-see" game; I will.now call Tesco and see how I can return this to swap for something else.

Who would have thought 5 months ago Horizon would have turned out better than the new ME?

Slaythe

Well, that settles it-this is definitely a "wait-and-see" game; I will.now call Tesco and see how I can return this to swap for something else.

Who would have thought 5 months ago Horizon would have turned out better than the new ME?

We had SEEN Horizon.

We had seen nothing of ME. I'd say that was a good hint.

Fishook

doc-rivers.gif

Mario? Zelda? Dark Souls? Dragon Quest?

Like... to write off an entire countries' games is just astounding.

I have never really owned a console, that's the reason. I don't mind some of the Nintendo games when I have played on them, but not enough to purchase a system.

Makikou

I did. All the signs were there. Still enjoying both games.

It's a super divisive game. Personally I adored it and it was my GOTY that year but I understand the issues people have with it.

Oh yeah it's got issues. The side quests are a mixed bag and they really fuckin throw them at you especially in the Hinterlands. But I really like the combat, characters, female inquisitor, varied locales and how all the areas are mini open worlds.

microdot

Any chance the next game is a reboot? Or is their too much already invested? Pebee is no Liara, turkey is no tali, and Ryder is no Shepard. #notmycaptain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom