• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
Dragon Age: Inquisition has it's faults but it did for the most part, have some great writing. I thought companions were well written along with the story.

vivekTO

No but... I can understand "body doubles", and "T poses", but what the fuck is that ? How does so many random glitches happen ? There literally isn't a single scene that lasts more than 10 seconds that doesn't glitch in some way.

This is why,i think, there is problem with the animation systems at engine level. Also people hoping it to get fixed easily are really setting themselves for disappointment.it will get fixed eventually but will still take some time.

And i don't think any sort of QA is done on this project, or the developers didn't have time to get them fixed.

Majin Boo

These scores are really disappointing, I wasn't expecting a 85+ title, but a ME game not even making it to more than 80 is weird, and raises a lot of questions about what went wrong during development.
Part of me still wants to buy it because I think I would enjoy the gameplay, but there are just soooo many better alternatives right now that it's hard to justify the purchase of this game at full price.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'd say they definitely will, but the sales figures will tell in time.

You've got to remember that the vast majority of people who buy games like this (and Ghost Recon Wildlands) aren't hobbyist gamers like those here.
I keep seeing GRW brought up as some trash tier game that sold well, but you all seem to forget it's nowhere near as buggy or even in the same genre as each other. GRW is a good shooter with great coop. ME:A is a broken story RPG.

Harmen

This is very low for a franchise like ME. It seems decent enough to get some fun out of it, but I really hope EA/Bioware reconsider their approach. This is a bad reflection on both ME and Bioware themselves. Giving ME to the team that made a very poorly received expansion for ME3 probably wasn't the best idea.

Also, what I always liked about Bioware games is their streamlined, cinematic RPG approach with relatively little fluff in terms of sidequests and grinding. Why they felt the need to take the worst elements of open world games and MMO's and infuse their games with it this generation is beyond me. Their games always felt big and adventurous without all the padding.

The pain is... I am probably still getting this despite it being mediocre for AAA standards. I have been waiting so long for a proper sci-fi game that I put all my hopes into Andromeda. Here's hoping I can look away from a few quirks here and there.

Slaythe

Lol come on man. It's a mid 70 game, not like it's sitting in the 30's or something.

Well there's a problem though.

It's a polarizing game. As it has a wide gap of points between lowest and highest ratings.

So basically depending on what you care about, you end up with a game that's very poor or pretty fun.

danowat

Banned
I keep seeing GRW brought up as some trash tier game that sold well, but you all seem to forget it's nowhere near as buggy or even in the same genre as each other. GRW is a good shooter with great coop. ME:A is a broken story RPG.

No, I didn't say it was trash tier, my point was that game got ripped a new one on GAF, but still sold well.

Blackage

Jim Sterling will no doubt bless this with a 10/10.

(I kid)

But Damn 75, that's a series low, not sure what Bioware is doing. Even with some people divided on Dragon Age: Inquisition, it reviewed well, won multiple game of the year awards and sold well. Hell even Dragon Age 2 reviewed better >.>

Dragon Age: Inquisition has it's faults but it did for the most part, have some great writing. I thought companions were well written along with the story.

The overarching story, in my opinion, was pretty shoddy though, and the main villain is one of the worst I have experienced in a game. He was like Skeletor without the self awareness.

Being released between Zelda and Persona always made it a hard day one sale for me, but the mixed signals I'm seeing will make me pass for now.

TI82

Banned
I have tried to play Japanese based games in the past, I used to work in a independent games store. I would play Zelda or Mario if there was a proper port. As for a lot of other games most of the other RPG's have a very much grinding aspect or combo's I struggle with the advance aspects of gaming on pad's.

Most gamers are brought up on consoles I got my first PC in my early 20's as my parents thought they were expensive, we did have a Atari 2600 though.

Yeah a friend of mine is in a similar predicament his family only had a PC growing up and we were his first introduction to console games specifically using a controller so it's very odd for him. I'd say use the keyboard and mouse but Japanese games are generally meant for a controller.

I do suggest continue trying though, as most of the greatest games of all time are from Japan. Can't force you though, just encouragement.

The pain is... I am probably still getting this despite it being mediocre for AAA standards. I have been waiting so long for a proper sci-fi game that I put all my hopes into Andromeda. Here's hoping I can look away from a few quirks here and there.

Ok, I'm not gonna stop you from getting Andromeda but why when Nier Automata and Horizon Zero Dawn is out?

Both are fantastic sci fi games.

Unless well, you want one set in space.

Ouch!! I think this is Bioware's worst reviewed game.

My take is both CEO's left the company and it's the new studio in Montreal. Here's hoping the A team's next game is up to Bioware quality.

MaKTaiL

So... Am I the only one that can't take USGamer seriously anymore?

ME: Andromeda 6/10
Horizon 5/10

EDIT

I mean, if Horizon is a 5, then ME should a 3 at best. No way it's "better" than Horizon.

Paganmoon

nah, it's the one with captain Archer.

But... Enterprise was better than Voyager.

I'll try not to derail this topic, so spoilering this, Enterprise was also better than
Star Stay put, AKA Deep Space 9

Horizon 5/10

Haven't played ME:A yet, so no judgement there, but 5/10 (2.5/5 iirc?) for Horizon is just mind boggling to me.

LotusHD

Banned

Horizon 5/10

Did the same person review it? Even then, the score for ME isn't exactly an outlier, so...

EDIT: Oh wait, you're taking issue with it scoring higher than Horizon? Just lol...

Tecnniqe

Banned
No, I didn't say it was trash tier, my point was that game got ripped a new one on GAF, but still sold well.
Yeah but not for the same reasons was my point. GRW and games like that is usually not hyper popular and people based their stuff on a beta which really was a beta. This is a 10 hour trial of the complete product with a day 1 patch included where we've seen the writing and see the bugs and glitches in real time.

What redeemed GRW and made it interesting for the masses don't exist here.

Clunker

Huh. I generally don't care as much about technical problems and animation as most of the Internet seems to, but enough of the critical reviews seem to talk unevenly about the things I love most about Mass Effect as a whole -- the writing, the character interactions, the sense of exploration -- that I am definitely waiting a bit to hear more about how people find the experience. Listening to podcast chat reactions will tell me more than review scores; hearing how the Waypoint and Giant Bomb crew were responding to the opening hours confirmed some of the fears I had about the game. If "Shooting and action are enjoyable" is the highest praise some reviews can muster, it's not a good look.

This is such a bummer, but it sounds like Andromeda is continuing the trend of what I didn't like about ME3 and what I missed most about ME1 and ME2. I finally picked up the ME3 DLC I was missing, so I think I'll be better served replaying the original trilogy and waiting for this to go on sale in the meantime.

Ugh..I had $60 on my Xbox account specifically for this just to have something to play on my Xbox one and I wasn't expecting the game to be this poorly received.

Jumeira

Banned
Ahhhh god, shit writing, Dragon Age Inquisition similarities and a forgettable crew, seems like BioWare team that made the original have disbanded, with the horrid Dragon Age team picking this up. I fucking loath that game. Looks like an average game with a average story, this really really hurts, i love my Mass Effect and Andromeda looked worrying from the beginning. ME no matter how flawed always delivered with its story and characters, Andromeda fails with the core aspects of ME.

I can't buy this full price, goddamit 5 years for this? I pray BW take the criticisms onboard and go back to ME and remove the taint of DA for the next game. I'm not going to give up on the franchise until I see how the next game plays out but I have little desire to pick this up and will get this somewhere down the line on sale. This hurts.

dakun

i liked the initial 5 hours or so i'm in right now. Probably still going to buy it.

The people thinking this is the end of the Mass Effect franchise are way over exaggerating in my opinion. It's not like this is a disaster, it's a disappointment sure, but not something they won't be able to overcome in a sequel. I doubt they'll pull the plug on this story completely.

Khoryos

That's the real hell of it, if you want Space Opera these days it's basically the only game in town.

Honestly, the most disappointing thing to read in those reviews is game being full of fetch quests. Come on Bioware, you have to learn at some point.

Lanrutcon

Jim Sterling will no doubt bless this with a 10/10.

(I kid)

But Damn 75, that's a series low, not sure what Bioware is doing. Even with some people divided on Dragon Age: Inquisition, it reviewed well, won multiple game of the year awards and sold well. Hell even Dragon Age 2 reviewed better >.>

I'm actually damn curious what he's going to give this game. His tolerance for game tedium is non-existent. Pretty sure we're going to get exactly what we're expecting: a panning following by a 4 or a 5.

Watch me be totally wrong about this :p

BigAl1992

I'm very curious now as to what went on during development of the game, as five years to develop a game is unusually long by any stretch of the imagination. I read a rumour on the comments for one article on eurogamer last week that there was a rumour floating about that the Montreal team blew it, to the point that the Edmonton team had to take over a year ago. Now I brushed it off as an unfounded rumour at the time, but after everything I've seen here over the last week, it does make one wonder.....

danowat

Banned
Yeah but not for the same reasons was my point. GRW and games like that is usually not hyper popular and people based their stuff on a beta which really was a beta. This is a 10 hour trial of the complete product with a day 1 patch included where we've seen the writing and see the bugs and glitches in real time.

What redeemed GRW and made it interesting for the masses don't exist here.

Both games are sitting at (very similar) metacritic ratings, so the comparison is wholly relevant in terms of reviews.

Obviously in terms of GAF hate, the fact one was Ubi didn't help, but the point stands that a 75 metacritic rating won't hurt sales (that much).

vivekTO

I remember reading on Gamasutra a few years ago that BioWare was famous in the industry for having really comprehensive QA protocols. I wonder what happened

I will still go with later , that the QA team might have come with the bugs, but the developers don't have any time to patch them.

Ok, I'm not gonna stop you from getting Andromeda but why when Nier Automata and Horizon Zero Dawn is out?

Both are fantastic sci fi games.

Unless well, you want one set in space.

I already got Horizon and yes, I really want a sci-fi game set in space. That's the pain of it.

I also don't consider Nier in the same ballpark as Mass Effect. Two wildly different genre's.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yeah pretty much. I've started nier and it's holding my interest so far but man it gets a pass on a lot of things...its not a well made game technically. A lot of similar issues regarding dialogue and animations but no one is talking about it in that way just praising it.

This doesn't sound like the Nier Automata i've played for 90 hours...

Almost as if you made it up.

Also comparing a A game like Nier A to a AAA game like MEA is kinda weird

Also, what I always liked about Bioware games is their streamlined, cinematic RPG approach with relatively little fluff in terms of sidequests and grinding. Why they felt the need to take the worst elements of open world games and MMO's and infuse their games with it this generation is beyond me. Their games always felt big and adventurous without all the padding.

DAI went open world for the first time in franchise history, and it was BioWare's biggest ever launch and has more GOTY awards than there are stars in the sky. You can have all the NeoGAF posts in the world, but you can't argue with hard numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom