• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Uncle

Also, I'm not sure if it counts, but Ashley responds pretty well to
some renegade dialogue choices and makes you look like a fool for choosing the paragon ones

bendak

You can romance both of them
and after doing 2 plot planets they both confront you at the same time and make you choose. Watch out if you're renegade...being too cocky will push Ash away for good. Though you can safely do the "cat fight" line and still rope in ash. :lol It's also possible to push them away with certain responses earlier but if you just choose the neutral response to those questions it shouldn't affect anything.

So I ended up beating the game overnight. I pulled a goddamn marathon to get the galaxy explored. 32 hours total and not one goddamn completionist award. I think I found a bug, getting the quest to get Novaria gate pass from the dude in the hotel and then getting a different pass won't close the hotel dude's quest and he just sits there when you try to talk to him. Also I can't find my last goddamn light metal.

Oh and I found a Warlord's Hideout on some planet I couldn't get in to and was wondering where that quest comes from. It's in the same cluster as the quest to rescue the crazy scientists from biotics if that helps (I'm just assuming they aren't random).

Anyways, this is my GOTY, easily. That ending was fucking epic,
I kept waiting for a goddamn copout knowing that it was meant to be a trilogy, and nope. No letdown at all. YES THE FACT THAT ITS AMAZING IS A SPOILER. Also yelling at Saren until he kills himself was fun.

My biggest complaint is that the impossible situations are too easy to get out of. Needs to be a dialogue branch or something where you can screw up instead of just select the option in blue/red. That and Male Shep's voice sucks ass.

Doodis

Am I supposed to have completed the romance plot with Ashley
before I get to Virmire? Because I've completed Feros and Novaria and nothing substantial has happened yet.
She's still calling me skipper and everything, but there haven't been any real advances yet. And yes, I told Liara long ago that we could only be friends, so that's out of the way.

Oh i wouldn't say the council is bad as you might make it seem. For one thing the Turians are already on the council which makes them more integrated into it then any other species like Volus or the Elcor. The Turians are also the default military arm of the council and have the largest fleet in the citadel space, i am pretty sure ratio wise they have more ships then all the other races combined or even close to it.

The best analogy to the Krogans would actually be humanity, we are progressing at an incredible rate and we are not as tame or willing to follow rules/laws/orders as Turians or as interested in preserving peace/balance/harmony as the Asari.

Ill reserve judgment on the way the citadel space is governed and i wont default to being bad/evil just because its not a democracy. Anyways at the moment it seems like the council is mainly concerned with making sure that there isn't that much friction between existing species. Arguably yes some one gets screwed over in the end, but it might be better then constantly fighting over a few choice planets.

Oh also the codex mentioned that the Salarians might see the humans as allies because they might find it easier to relate to goals/actions of humanity rather then the long lived and reserved Asari.

Ephemeris

Son of Godzilla said:
So I ended up beating the game overnight. I pulled a goddamn marathon to get the galaxy explored. 32 hours total and not one goddamn completionist award.
You still had more missions to be done, friend. And for the record, if I put in so many hours and didn't get the achievement, I'd be pissed XD. Here's a screen of my save-screen, didn't embed it cause of potential spoilers --> http://xs122.xs.to/xs122/07493/IMAGE_075.jpg

Oh and I found a Warlord's Hideout on some planet I couldn't get in to and was wondering where that quest comes from. It's in the same cluster as the quest to rescue the crazy scientists from biotics if that helps (I'm just assuming they aren't random).

Ah, I noticed that one too. Didn't look into it at all. Granted, I found that late in the game. After I hit the level 50 wall in my 1st play-through
- aka no-more-EXP-for-you -
I wasn't inspired to keep on doing missions.

Anyways, this is my GOTY, easily. That ending was fucking epic,
I kept waiting for a goddamn copout knowing that it was meant to be a trilogy, and nope. No letdown at all. YES THE FACT THAT ITS AMAZING IS A SPOILER. Also yelling at Saren until he kills himself was fun.

Tell me you
screwed over that damn politician Ubina
like I did. To do otherwise.. >___>

Son of Godzilla said:
Also yelling at Saren until he kills himself was fun.

I didnt have enough charm to talk him down, so I had to fight him. I love how this game has so many different paths

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
At the ending:

I was so glad Saren came back to life after i'd charmed him into shooting himself, at first I was thinking 'awesome, charmed my way through the final boss' then it started to sink in and I was really pissed off that I'd just avoided the big climatic fight scene

soco

lord the team based commands are driving me f'n insane. what's the point of having commands if the teammates randomly decide not to follow them? why can't i tell them individually where to stand?

it piss me off so much when i send kaiden&wrex to stand against some wall so i can pick off some enemies and 10 seconds later they've decided they want some action and have come back and get sniped before i noticed they've disobeyed my orders. worse still, is that i can't talk to them fire them. of all the dialog choices, you'd think you could at least tell your teammates to take a hike for being retarded.

My first play through I talked him down. Is there a way to battle
Sarren before he blows his brains out?
Or does he always react in that manner while on the podium?

Naeblish

Anerythristic said:
My first play through I talked him down. Is there a way to battle
Sarren before he blows his brains out?
Or does he always react in that manner while on the podium?
Don't use the charm/intimidate option.

Ephemeris said:
You still had more missions to be done, friend. And for the record, if I put in so many hours and didn't get the achievement, I'd be pissed XD. Here's a screen of my save-screen, didn't embed it cause of potential spoilers --> http://xs122.xs.to/xs122/07493/IMAGE_075.jpg
Yeouch, that's first play through? Did you like not use your Mako or something? I don't think I missed *that* much, I explored every world I could and opened every goddamn container I found.

Tell me you
screwed over that damn politician Ubina
like I did. To do otherwise.. >___>
I totally let her live. I was hoping that Joker might get killed in the rescue attempt. Also I had Tali of all people rooting for the Council to die, so I felt compelled to fucking ignore her.

I intend to replay and get Keith David killed (Assuming that he dies if you make him storm the Citadel Control Room) and then send the council to their graves. I actually like the council, somewhat. Solarians are cool. I was so hoping that commando dude would join my team to replace goddamn Carth.

it piss me off so much when i send kaiden&wrex to stand against some wall so i can pick off some enemies and 10 seconds later they've decided they want some action and have come back and get sniped before i noticed they've disobeyed my orders. worse still, is that i can't talk to them fire them. of all the dialog choices, you'd think you could at least tell your teammates to take a hike for being retarded.

I found rushing into close combat and just ignoring relay commands really helped to get my teammates involved. Also I used Lauri or w/e the blue chick's name is for most of the time and was always controlling her biotics. Singularity + Carnage and the overheating bullets/upgrades is hilarious.

Ghost said:
At the ending:

I was so glad Saren came back to life after i'd charmed him into shooting himself, at first I was thinking 'awesome, charmed my way through the final boss' then it started to sink in and I was really pissed off that I'd just avoided the big climatic fight scene
Haha. I thought the same. I was expecting him to charge at me even though I was trying to charm him. Next moment I was like what the fuck. He shoots himself. I was hoping to unlock some kind of special achievement for killing boss in peaceful manner. But he came back. It was fun.

DustinC

Memphis Reigns said:
The AI voice on Noveria when you have to fix the landlines reminds me of the end of Aliens. Case in point: this game is like playing a movie.

A lot of that section reminded me of the Aliens movies, which I thought was pretty awesome.

I've been going thru the side quest stuff after Noveria, but at level 30 I think it's time to buckle down and take on Feros now. Combat is started to feel a bit too easy though, but I'm not sure if that's due to being overpowered for where I'm at, or if I've just grown used to handling the firefights.

I'm playing a Soldier now, but I'm dying to try out Biotics for my second play thru. Everytime I see an enemy get tossed around by Wrex I get jealous.

Ephemeris

Son of Godzilla said:
Yeouch, that's first play through? Did you like not use your Mako or something? I don't think I missed *that* much, I explored every world I could and opened every goddamn container I found.

Well I did drive like.. everywhere to find the hidden materials and all that. Oh, read about the League of One in the codex. Good stuff. Made me like the Solarians even more.

... get Keith David killed (Assuming that he dies if you make him storm the Citadel Control Room) and then send the council to their graves.

Actually I chose that option. And he
doesn't. Thank goodness. Cause I hate the ambassador.

Singularity + Carnage and the overheating bullets/upgrades is hilarious.
You know it :lol I have the high explosive bullets in my sniper rifle and my shotgun.

And speaking of the Mako - I'm sure most of you know this - Mako kills only net you a third of the EXP. I use it to whittle down the Thrasher Maw's life - get out - kill it and get the XP. 1200 points instead of 400.

medze said:
but... but... the music in the Normandy afterwards... that's gotta count for something!

and you let Ash live? Gah

Ok, ok, ok...
the music does count for a lot, I'll admit that. It made the scene a lot better. Here's why I let Ash live...I accidentally chose her over Liara for the romantic plot, and naturally wanted to see the sex scene. She does have a really nice ass though, I'll give her that.

But yeah, right after the nuke went off...it just wasn't a well edited scene at all in my opinion. I dunno, you're acting like I was the only person who thought this :p. The scene was moving, I just felt like they could have done A LOT more with it, that's all.

So when do you find the sixth party character? I've done two of the three main planets. The only way I need is to find the dig site; I suppose that is where she is? Maybe i'm just impatient, but is there anyway to not get the last party member?

cool_dude_2049 said:
So when do you find the sixth party character? I've done two of the three main planets. The only way I need is to find the dig site; I suppose that is where she is? Maybe i'm just impatient, but is there anyway to not get the last party member?

Read your journal.

Shinjitsu

Banned
cool_dude_2049 said:

Yes that is where the last party member is, usually the first place I go in the story.=)

Shinjitsu said:
Yes that is where the last party member is, usually the first place I go in the story.=)

I see, I suppose I looked at my Journal out of order. I went to Faros first then the place that starts with an "N." At least I'll know how to start my second run through. I wonder how much exploring I need to do to get the completionist achievement and the other achievements that want you to play the majority of the game with certain party members. Some of those planets are just a waste of time finding those chemicals and a couple of weapons.
One thing I did come across, though, was a huge sphere that gave me the option to put something in there. Any idea what goes there?

Synless said:
Which one??? I'm pretty sure I've bought all of them.....is there a certain part of the game I need to be at???

It depends on what level you are at. When you get to a higher level (maybe 35-36) different ones become available.

Gigglepoo

I just started this last night and I've run into some problems. Apparently, I'm awful. I'm on the very first planet
disarming bombs
and I've died a few times. I choose the Biotic class when I started out. Was this a poor decision? Should I restart as a soldier for my first play through? I figured this class would give me the most "Force Powers," but if it ramps on the difficulty I may slide back to something more accessible.

Gigglepoo said:
I just started this last night and I've run into some problems. Apparently, I'm awful. I'm on the very first planet
disarming bombs
and I've died a few times. I choose the Biotic class when I started out. Was this a poor decision? Should I restart as a soldier for my first play through? I figured this class would give me the most "Force Powers," but if it ramps on the difficulty I may slide back to something more accessible.

go with the soldier. The game gets harder, and even harder after that if you pick the wrong planets.

Gigglepoo said:
disarming bombs

You should go with Vanguard, you still have some powers (throw and lift being my favorites) and you can destroy enemies with the shotgun. It's really the best of both worlds.

As far as planets, go to Feros first.

I'd say Adept is probably one of the harder classes in terms of getting started. Low biotics, pistol skills, etc turn out to be near useless when your taking so much damage. But once you start leveling you'll find yourself just plowing through people.

Gigglepoo

MaizeRage25 said:
As far as planets, go to Feros first.

Maybe I will try Vanguard. I do want to have some of the cool powers too. Are they effecient with a sniper rifle? I was frustrated that I couldn't zoom in with my sniper using the Biotics Master last night.

And I haven't even made a decision on which planet to go to yet. I'm on my very, very first mission. Which is why I'm asking now. Sure, I'll have to remake my beautiful face, but at least I'm not far into the adventure yet.

arhra

Some of those planets are just a waste of time finding those chemicals and a couple of weapons.
All of the landable planets have sidequests associated with them, AFAIK. Well, i found one with a Warlord's Hideout, and never got a sidequest for it, but either i've missed the sidequest somehow (maybe from the stuff you need to have decryption/electronics for in the salarian camp on
Virmire
...), or that's an exception that slipped through the cracks (given that it's specifically named and locked up, though, i'm guessing it's a sidequest i've missed somehow, or a sidequest that was cut for whatever reason, but they forgot to cut the planet as well).

One thing I did come across, though, was a huge sphere that gave me the option to put something in there. Any idea what goes there?
You need to have done the Consort's sidequest on the Citadel (and have also completed the one the Turian gives you once you talk to him, to deal with the Elcor diplomat, before you head back to hand in the first one to the Consort). If you do things right, you'll get a trinket from the Consort, which acts as a key to that artifact you found.

Gigglepoo said:
Maybe I will try Vanguard. I do want to have some of the cool powers too. Are they effecient with a sniper rifle? I was frustrated that I couldn't zoom in with my sniper using the Biotics Master last night.
If you're not trained in a weapon, you can't go into over-the-shoulder mode with it (or zoom, for sniper rifles). Which means Adepts and Engineers are limited to using pistols effectively (unless you use the achievement unlocks to add another weapon to them).

Only Soldiers and Infiltrators are trained in sniper rifles by default (and even then, snipers are pretty lousy early on, until you can get some decent weapons and some skill points invested into them, and it's locked for soldiers until you invest sufficient points into ARs). You shouldn't need anything more than a pistol to finish Eden Prime without too much difficulty, though (if you made it to the part with the bombs to disarm, you were more or less done...).

Synless

MaizeRage25 said:
It depends on what level you are at. When you get to a higher level (maybe 35-36) different ones become available.
I'm at 41 right now, is it all completely random or something?

JayDubya

Banned
Grrr. Still no Quarian Colossus Armor. Even with all her shielding, and she has rather a lot with Electronics 12 and Quarian Nomad 6 and her upgrades... I need some more DR on Tali. Besides, it'll have even more shields! :D

arhra

JayDubya said:
Grrr. Still no Quarian Colossus Armor. Even with all her shielding, and she has rather a lot with Electronics 12 and Quarian Nomad 6 and her upgrades... I need some more DR on Tali. Besides, it'll have even more shields! :D
On my first play-through, i used Tali full-time (hadn't realised at that point that the Ally achievements would be impossible due to me having sidequested on the Citadel before picking her up), and she was stuck with her default armour until i managed to snag some Colossus armour on a sidequest right before i headed to Ilos.

knitoe

JayDubya said:

I was able to get every type of Colossus armor from the seller on the Normandy except Heavy Human. The saving and reloading changes his inventory sometime. I still can't figure out what triggers him to change his inventory. Tried traveling to different galaxy / clusters and ports, Citadel, Noveria and Feros. Tried after doing a side quest.

alexh

Bring on Mass Effect 2!

Theres a few things of note

One is, with the apparent power of the Geth fleet in conjunction with Sovereign, why were the Geth complacent to be in their own sector for 200 years?

Two, if the Reapers were just outside of the Galaxy in dark space, couldn't they just travel back into the Galaxy and take worlds one by one? I mean one Reaper decimated a large citadel fleet. If I understood the mass relay technology.. they must have a relay out there.. it wouldn't be too hard to reprogram it.

Three, (Blank) Shepard = new Master Chief?

I see a ton of angles on how to start a sequel. The writers left themselves plenty of wiggle room.

I mean.. there is going to be a sequel, right?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
knitoe said:
I was able to get every type of Colossus armor from the seller on the Normandy except Heavy Human. The saving and reloading changes his inventory sometime. I still can't figure out what triggers him to change his inventory. Tried traveling to different galaxy / clusters and ports, Citadel, Noveria and Feros. Tried after doing a side quest.

The best bet is to check shops after each main quest. I find the places that sell alien armor only are the best place to check for Quarian armor.

newsguy

So at what point should I be able to use weapons other than my pistol? I'm whichever is half soldier half biotics. I'm like 12 hours in but I remain untrained in everything but my pistol and shotty. where should I place points?

AniHawk

newsguy said:
So at what point should I be able to use weapons other than my pistol? I'm whichever is half soldier half biotics. I'm like 12 hours in but I remain untrained in everything but my pistol and shotty. where should I place points?

...Assault training and sniper training, if you need them. Assault rifles will make you a monster later in the game. Just start putting points up there when you level up.

newsguy

AniHawk said:
...Assault training and sniper training, if you need them. Assault rifles will make you a monster later in the game. Just start putting points up there when you level up.

Awesome thanks. Having squad mates use that neural shutdown is so much fun. I had a Krogan coming at me full blast and he just tumbled like a sack of rocks :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
AniHawk said:

Maybe I just like the Vangaurd too much, but Pistol/Shotty is a great combo. You have some range and a good close range gun that knocks those Husks/Thorians/Geths down when they rush you.

So I have this quest, Noveria: Lorik' Quinn or whatever his name that doesn't want to gray out even though I finished Noveria and there is nothing to talk about with this guy.

I hate this shit.

knitoe

L0st Id3ntity said:
So I have this quest, Noveria: Lorik' Quinn or whatever his name that doesn't want to gray out even though I finished Noveria and there is nothing to talk about with this guy.

I hate this shit.

Did you accept his quest by choosing to kill the guards (won't affect your parogon or renegade stats) or finish the quest? If not, you can go back to Noveria and finish it. My 1st play through I didn't accept to kill the guards thinking it would affect my stats and quest stay highlight the entire time.

AniHawk

L0st Id3ntity said:

I hate this shit.

Have you gone to the human female with the evidence?

AniHawk said:
Have you gone to the human female with the evidence?
Yes and no, I've taken it to the guy at the back, the boss of that place I guess.

I talked to the female, too. She suggested the guy at the hotel, but I used the evidence to get to peak 15.

So that quest is stil highlighted, and whenevr I try to approach this Lorik guy, my character responses with something like "I need to go now". With no conversation options to choose from at all. :/

I'll live with it though...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That might be a flaw in the scripting. I'm sure you're meant to talk to Lorik first before you screw him over and they didn't think of the possibility of someone talking to the Agent in the hotel but not talking to Lorik? I dunno.

bengraven

Oh what the hell? I just got my ship, level 7 or so, and I went to a planet where those missing marines are located. This giant thresher thing pops out of the ground and keeps destroying my Mako without me denting it!

Can I level up the Mako or is there something I'm missing here?

Top Bottom