• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

AniHawk

bengraven said:
Oh what the hell? I just got my ship, level 7 or so, and I went to a planet where those missing marines are located. This giant thresher thing pops out of the ground and keeps destroying my Mako without me denting it!

Can I level up the Mako or is there something I'm missing here?
Just keep driving in circles at a safe distance as you shoot the thing.

bengraven

AniHawk said:
Just keep driving in circles at a safe distance as you shoot the thing.

firehawk12 said:
Trasher Maw is, unfortunately, one hit one kill if it rises up under you.
Also, you can't upgrade the Mako. :(

This quest is going to make me very angry.

To make matters worse, if you stop for repairs, he kills you with another hit while you're repairing.

AniHawk

bengraven said:

To make matters worse, if you stop for repairs, he kills you with another hit while you're repairing.

You can drive to the outskirts where he can't hit you and safely repair. His health won't replenish itself.

Cipher

bengraven said:
Oh what the hell? I just got my ship, level 7 or so, and I went to a planet where those missing marines are located. This giant thresher thing pops out of the ground and keeps destroying my Mako without me denting it!

Stick to uneven terrain so he can't come out from beneath you and use your cannon.

AniHawk

Cipher said:
Right Bumper will be your new best friend.

No, see, I already beat the game. I didn't know there was a cannon for the damn thing. I shot the Thresher Maw and all ground units to death.

Thanks for the info though. My renegade Alyx Shepard is going to have an easier time.

AniHawk said:
No, see, I already beat the game. I didn't know there was a cannon for the damn thing. I shot the Thresher Maw and all ground units to death.
Tell me about it. My first playthrough, I beat the game without using the zoom.

AniHawk said:

you completed the game without using the Mako cannon? wow you should get an achievement for that :)

Mindlog

Thresher Maws can be a bit frustrating at first. However, after the first few times I was circle strafing and killing them with ease.

I'm on my second playthrough trying to get my 'main shepard' to 60. I have 3 guys with Colossus X (shiny black/with red/pinkish highlights), but the armor isn't that much better than Predator L X and the Pred looks way cooler so I'm sticking to that atm :D I've got 4 Pred X or very similar equivalent atm. Hopefully I'll find that Geth armor for Wrex sometime soon.

** Oh crap, without zoom and main gun. Yeah that's hard :lol

knitoe

bengraven said:

It's easy. You don't even have to drive around. Just get some distant from it. Fire Mako's cannon / gun, jump in same spot over the acid spit and repeat. If you are at the correct range (pretty lenient), Maw just keeps on spitting acid at you while not moving at all.

If you on foot, than you have to move since you can't jump. :D

Zerachiel

They really need to make you use your head more when completing quests. Convincing someone shouldn't be as easy as select the blue/red dialogue option. They need to have different ways to persuade someone, not all of them determined by mere statistics. The suicide situation and genetic engineer arms dealer were good steps in the right direction, but even those fall short ultimately, and they're far too few.

beerbelly

Banned
I am going to beat this game as soon as I have some free time (exam time).
I saved Kaiden over Ashley but I may reload that part and save Ashley instead.
How far am I into the story line?

beerbelly said:
I am going to beat this game as soon as I have some free time (exam time).
I saved Kaiden over Ashley but I may reload that part and save Ashley instead.
How far am I into the story line?
Depends on when you did that.
There are four quest planets and then the ending romp.

Also you people are weaksauce. I killed my first thresher maw without even knowing the Mako had a cannon. That shit felt hardcore.

beerbelly

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Depends on when you did that.
There are four quest planets and then the ending romp.

Also you people are weaksauce. I killed my first thresher maw without even knowing the Mako had a cannon. That shit felt hardcore.

I guess I have 1 more planet left before the final. I finished Feros, Noveria and now Virmire. Damn it's a really short game then if it weren't for the side quests. I'm at about 25 hours with over 130 saves because of my paranoia with cheap deaths :lol

Anyways, I restarted on Hardcore mode or w/e the first unlockable is. HOLY SHIT THIS IS HARD. It doesn't help that I picked Engineer of all things to be. Thankfully I grabbed the Barrier talent, I don't have a damn clue what I'd do if I didn't select that.

Also it's cool to see how alterable the Citadel is, I'm doing it completely different than my original.

beerbelly said:
I guess I have 1 more planet left before the final. I finished Feros, Noveria and now Virmire. Damn it's a really short game then if it weren't for the side quests. I'm at about 25 hours with over 130 saves because of my paranoia with cheap deaths :lol
I unno, an enjoyable 30 hour game is a rare commodity these days. Without the sides it'd prolly be what, 12-15? Kotor was about 30 hours if you completely maxed out your playtime, and I've yet to get the Completionist achievement for ME despite being 33 hours in.

Fusebox

Banned
bengraven said:

I just grabbed the loot and beamed out before it killed me.:D

knitoe said:
It's easy. You don't even have to drive around. Just get some distant from it. Fire Mako's cannon / gun, jump in same spot over the acid spit and repeat. If you are at the correct range (pretty lenient), Maw just keeps on spitting acid at you while not moving at all.

Yes, I found the Maws ridicously easy (that's why I wondered why so many people complained about it). Cannon -> Machine gun -> Jump, repeat 6 times, and you're done.

Just finished the game on Normal. Some stats:

Name: Jack Shepard
Class: Vanguard
Level: 50
Origin: Spacer
Time Played: 32h.06m
Achievement Points: 570

GOTY? Yes.

Great game but I do want to complain. It's not very immersive to visit a dozen mining tunnels throughout the galaxy, and all of them have the exact same layout. I realize that you can't expect the designers to carefully handcraft each and every location in a game with this scope, but how hard would it have been to mix and match some unique layouts while using the same basic templates (similar textures and decorative accessories etc). It's just so groanworthy to descend into the 20th underground lab that is exactly the same as the other 19. At least in similarly sprawling games like Oblivion, the dungeons, while looking similar by necessity, aren't all exactly the same layout. Just cut and paste a room or a hall here or there, make it so that when I enter a new complex, it's at least KIND of mysterious and new.

I can almost sorta kinda understand the labs and bunkers all having the same layouts, because it could be a sort of universal standard, but having all the mines on every planet follow the same path, that's just... jarringly awkward. It can't be that hard to make some unique mining tunnels layouts with minimal fuss.

Still a great game, but I hope they find a way to get some more diversity in the sequel, while keeping the workload reasonable. The game does feel rushed in some respects.

I kind of liked all the featureless planets/moons... the atmosphere was often awesome and I'm sort of in awe of that kind of thing in real life anyway. Still I wish the items (and the stories they hinted at) that you find on the surfaces were more interesting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As someone mentioned... there's a reason why it all fits on one DVD. Pretty easy to use the same four maps across the galaxy.

Chichikov

firehawk12 said:
As someone mentioned... there's a reason why it all fits on one DVD. Pretty easy to use the same four maps across the galaxy.
I don't know who's that mysterious guy, but I don't think he know a whole lot about assets' sizes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I suppose the reasonable explanation is that they just ran out of time. The fact that the video and audio took about 1.3 gigs, according to someone who looked into the files, kind of makes me believe that the bulk of the disc is taken by the engine and the assets though.

And hey, I bought the game and grinded my way to 960/1000 achievements. Sadly, I'll probably buy the game again when it comes out under GFW or whatever EA's PC label is now.

Big-E

Able to get two more of the ally achievements. I basically had to do every sidequest to get the ones for Garrus and Wrex.

papercut said:
Dear lord the survey missions are boring. Did this crap really need to be in the game?

Last time I checked, you don't have to do them.

Big-E said:
Able to get two more of the ally achievements. I basically had to do every sidequest to get the ones for Garrus and Wrex.

I did nearly all of the sidequests. I used Wrex for every one I did and got his achievement, but for the others I used Tali 90-95% of the time and got nothing. Pretty crappy.

NewLib

Banned
Just finished the game.

Main storyline was pretty damn good. Especially the end. The only problem is it went by way too quickly. There just wasnt much to do once you got out of the Citadel on any of the main planets. Atleast Feros tried to have sidequests (very meager ones), but surprisingly for a game of this scope it was very linear.

Side missions were a bore. Seriously, some had interesting story but would it have killed them to put a city or two somewhere in this universe? Mountains, mountains, unclimbable mountains, plain, thresher maw, mountains, mountains, outpost which looks exactly like 5 or 6 ive already beaten, back to the Normandy. The game seriously had 4 design layouts for sidequests. FOUR. I know because I counted. Im not even talking about 4 designs that were modified slightly to make them unique. No, Four total.

Combat was actually pretty fun. I like the way biotics, tech, and weapon combat worked together. My only problem is sometimes I would die and not really be sure why.

As far as how I rate it compared to Bioware games. Probably somewhere around the original Baldur's Gate. Good, but missing something to be great. KOTOR and Baldur's Gate II left me with high standards for Bioware. I just think that in making this game Bioware was so focused on making the game seem huge, they forgot to actually make it huge in real depth. But there is hope all the major problems (those mentioned above and the glitches) are easy fixes as far as the core design philosophy is concerned. Bioware is proven they can take a good model (Baldur's Gate) and make it great (Baldur's Gate II). Here is what Mass Effect II needs.

1. Main quest planets which arent just about the main quest. Make them seem like actually cities where other concerns are.

2. Sidequest planets that are just massive. I still want the barren rocky planet and it has its place, but I like to go to a planet thats just a huge Turian metropolis and explore.

3. Less planets to land on. Yes, this game needs to reign in its focus to become less linear. That might seem completely contradictory but its the truth. With so many planets, they all get very samey making the game the land, kill baddies, and leave. This is the first Bioware game (including the unfortunate Jade Empire) which I didnt want to beat every sidequest before beating the game. I did the interesting ones, but why do I want to go look for some lost probe when I know what its going to be like.

4. I want a planet on a Hanar colonized world. Actually, I want a planet to land on thats run by humans.

Good game though, looking forward to sequel.

Booda

papercut said:
Dear lord the survey missions are boring. Did this crap really need to be in the game?

Yes, because they're awesome. I wouldn't be having half as much fun with the game without the exploration missions. Mako FTW.

Holy shit this game gets good toward the end. So busy with work right now but I can't stop playing it! =O

Not reading the thread (for obvious reasons) but I noticed people mentioning the thresher maws. Just time your jumps in the mako and keep blasting with the cannon and machine gun... you shouldn't even get hit once. Oh, and I went back to Noveria after the mission there. One of the NPCs there
near the garage
has a conversation option to sell me parts for my vehicle (not on first visit), but no screen shows up. Guess it's a feature they never got around to adding.

npm0925

The weapons/armors in this game are quite possibly the worst in any RPG I've yet to play. Why bother going from Assault Rifle V to Assault Rifle VI? Bioware has taken a huge step backward in this department since the release of Baldur's Gate 2, which featured a myriad of unique weapons, armors, and spells. And to make matters worse, the game appears to employ the bullshit monster leveling found in Oblivion, making it pointless to level up your characters. I'm at the point where I'm skipping all of the generic side quests, sticking exclusively to the main quest with occasional trips back to the Citadel to pawn off all the generic loot I've amassed in order to buy generic equipment upgrades.

I need some help deafting matriarch benzia: Any tips on what I should do?

I'm up to the second part where you have to kill her and her 3 asari *********.I can defeat her but not all of her asari *********. that is all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, you can play on Casual or Normal to have them scale less. I find that the game gets much easier when you have a higher level character though simply because all your powers last longer.
The infinite invulnerability Soldier build, for example, can only work if you have the points to spend on Fitness and Soldier.

For Benezia, I find that Biotic powers like Lift worked on her. Take her out quickly and the ********* shouldn't be a problem. If you don't have Biotics... well, I dunno.

Ack, C-ommandos is an Eidos game or something?

Has any one confirmed getting the Hardcore or Insane Achievement with your replayed character. When I started over I changed the difficulty to hardcore right at the beginning.

Toonami 99 said:
Has any one confirmed getting the Hardcore or Insane Achievement with your replayed character. When I started over I changed the difficulty to hardcore right at the beginning.

I got both the Hardcore and Insanity achievements with my main character. You have until the end of Eden Prime to change the difficulty.

Zerachiel

Ash was the only character that felt really real to me.

Kaiden was kind of interesting, but his interesting stuff was just backstory. It was always a pleasure to speak with Tali or Liara, but they didn't have much character in and of themselves (especially Tali), but merely stood as representatives for their race. Wrex is just another incarnation of the "evil badass" line, and is by far the weakest of them: he's certainly no HK or Black Whirlwind. Garrus was interesting but one-dimensional.

Bioware really needs to stop including 6 characters in games, they have no way of fleshing each one out properly. Have 3 squad members, in your party at once, and allow you to customize them as you see fit, so there's no gameplay flaws. If you had a permanent party, maybe Bioware could actually program some interesting party conversations and make ythe crew of the normandy feel like a real team.

alexh said:
Bring on Mass Effect 2!

Theres a few things of note

One is, with the apparent power of the Geth fleet in conjunction with Sovereign, why were the Geth complacent to be in their own sector for 200 years?

Two, if the Reapers were just outside of the Galaxy in dark space, couldn't they just travel back into the Galaxy and take worlds one by one? I mean one Reaper decimated a large citadel fleet. If I understood the mass relay technology.. they must have a relay out there.. it wouldn't be too hard to reprogram it.

Three, (Blank) Shepard = new Master Chief?

I see a ton of angles on how to start a sequel. The writers left themselves plenty of wiggle room.

I mean.. there is going to be a sequel, right?

As I understand it, it's only recently that Sovereign starting spreading his influence and gathering allies. Who really knows though how long it was out there just watching/listening and gathering information on the current state of things after it's failed attempt to activate the keepers.

As Far as the other reapers, I had that same kinda of thought, "did they forget?" the where/the when/the who etc etc. The only thing I can think of is that the Reapers, in order to leave no trail what so ever they must be millions and millions of light years away? Way out in the unknown where no life exists? Perhaps they even destroy any link to known space?

The problem is everyone has their own version of shep, but I would say Shep(esp.. Renegade Shep) is much more badass than Master Chief, maybe if halo 3 didn't have such a shit ending I would think different.

Vyse The Legend said:
I got both the Hardcore and Insanity achievements with my main character. You have until the end of Eden Prime to change the difficulty.
Oh thank God. Playing Hardcore with a noobie Engineer is fucking /wrists.

gcfan2k5

60 hours in, third playthrough just finished.

For some reason im not getting the achievements for finishing with ANY character as an ally except for kaiden and ashley. Whats the deal? I do a TON of sidequests and still get squat.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah. I'm pretty sure that's how they intended Hardcore and Insanity to work. The problem is that you're stuck with the same character for three playthroughs, which is kind of lame.

I would rather they let you start at the same level with all the points, but let you change up your class/background.

gcfan2k5 said:
60 hours in, third playthrough just finished.

For some reason im not getting the achievements for finishing with ANY character as an ally except for kaiden and ashley. Whats the deal? I do a TON of sidequests and still get squat.

Don't do ANY quests until you get the characters you want. Even then, it'll take you nearly every single side quest to get the achievement.

Top Bottom