• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Mrbob

Ventrue said:
Spectre gear comes with getting 1 million credits.

I'm nearing the end of my eighth and final playthrough, with a total playtime of about 120 hours. Just got 1000/1000 achievement points, first game I've ever done that with.

Overall, this is definitely my favourite game in the past few years, perhaps ever. I'd even place it above my much-beloved Baldur's Gate II. I'm pretty sick of it right now, as you'd imagine, but I don't see myself being unable to play DLC.

Congrats. :D

I just got done with my 3rd playthrough on the game, finished hardcore difficulty. Tungsten Rounds become my assault rifle weapon add on of choice, doing massive + damage to synthetics. I don't know if you can get higher than Tungsten Rounds VII, but the 40 percent boost against synthetics made taking them down easy. Hopefully it'll be just as easy on insanity difficulty! :) I have all the ally achievements too now except Liara. I might take my level 60 character through a quick sweep on insanity, and then work with a new character to get the Liara achievement.

Ventrue

Oh, and for all the complaining about ally achievements, I've found the only ones that require real work are Asari and Quarian. If you do every sidequest on the story planets, you will only need to do about 5 or so uncharted worlds to get Turian/Krogan. I got Sentinel without even doing any uncharted worlds.

I'm not sure how much each main quest counts for (they differ) but it seems that Liara's world does count for a lot indeed; I got Asari ally just before Virmire with only three sidequests left in the game (I even made sure to finish the collection quests on the surface of the uncharted worlds; not sure if it makes a difference though).

Mindlog

Ventrue said:

I'm nearing the end of my eighth and final playthrough, with a total playtime of about 120 hours. Just got 1000/1000 achievement points, first game I've ever done that with.

Overall, this is definitely my favourite game in the past few years, perhaps ever. I'd even place it above my much-beloved Baldur's Gate II. I'm pretty sick of it right now, as you'd imagine, but I don't see myself being unable to play DLC.

That's a lot of Mass Effect :lol

Well done.

I did 3 complete playthroughs and I have a couple partial characters. Only console game I've ever done that for.

SuperBonk

Played it for the first time today and I'm loving it. Combat is a little clunky but much smoother than any action RPG I've played recently.

Best part so far for me has to be
Shooting Fist in the face

demifiend

JayDubya said:
The Turians certainly don't mind when they're the ones doing it. Or the Asari / Salarians. :lol

Thats true, and I think about that when I let the council get offed so the human navy can go after Sovereign. The moral ambiguity of the asari and salarians, and the turians, to an extent, is odious from a lore standpoint. They effectively turned the krogan into their attack dogs, and then showed them gratitude by exterminating them. I would like to see a cure for the genophage end up in the storyline. If, by the council's (double) standard, the nearly non-negotiable, utterly inhuman rachni deserve a chance to live, then so do the krogan, a fighting people who might be very helpful the next time the Reapers roll into town.

Ventrue

Speevy said:
I beat KOTOR 6 or 7 times, so it's not surprising that another Bioware game has that quality.

Well, I'm a huge Bioware fan but I only played KOTOR 3 times (loved it though).

This is probably second in total playthroughs of a game; I've played BGII ~15 times but that's over 7 years, not a month.

Salient

demifiend said:
Thats true, and I think about that when I let the council get offed so the human navy can go after Sovereign. The moral ambiguity of the asari and salarians, and the turians, to an extent, is odious from a lore standpoint. They effectively turned the krogan into their attack dogs, and then showed them gratitude by exterminating them. I would like to see a cure for the genophage end up in the storyline. If, by the council's (double) standard, the nearly non-negotiable, utterly inhuman rachni deserve a chance to live, then so do the krogan, a fighting people who might be very helpful the next time the Reapers roll into town.
You don't think humans are totally morally ambigious as well? The council is as "human" and as realistic as any human.

The council thought they exterminated the rachni, but you might have let them live, if you so chose.

I don't get the hate everyone has for the Rachni. I think Bioware designed them to be a test of moral character, and fear of the unknown. They designed them to look fully reprehensible and unlovable to the average human, and yet they laid the evidence out clearly that they were not responsible for their war, that they were peaceful isolationists, and they were possibly controlled by the reapers ("oily shadows").

arhra

Demifiend said:
If, by the council's (double) standard, the nearly non-negotiable, utterly inhuman rachni deserve a chance to live,
The Turian council member will bitch you out no matter what choices you make on that matter.
Kill the queen and they harangue you for being genocidal, let her live and they berate you for unleashing a potential threat to Galactic peace
. I'm fairly certain it's deliberately designed to piss the player off and stretch your patience for the council's hypocritical bureaucratic bullshit (and the Turian's thinly-veiled hatred of humanity) to breaking point, regardless of whether you lean on the side of paragon or renegade (it's particularly annoying if you lean to paragon, as the Turian is
blatantly hypocritical in his responses - he bitches at you for committing genocide by killing the Thorian, then turns around and bitches at you for not committing genocide by killing the Rachni. FFS, make your fucking mind up!
).

arhra said:
The Turian council member will bitch you out no matter what choices you make on that matter.
Kill the queen and they harangue you for being genocidal, let her live and they berate you for unleashing a potential threat to Galactic peace
. I'm fairly certain it's deliberately designed to piss the player off and stretch your patience for the council's hypocritical bureaucratic bullshit (and the Turian's thinly-veiled hatred of humanity) to breaking point, regardless of whether you lean on the side of paragon or renegade (it's particularly annoying if you lean to paragon, as the Turian is
blatantly hypocritical in his responses - he bitches at you for committing genocide by killing the Thorian, then turns around and bitches at you for not committing genocide by killing the Rachni. FFS, make your fucking mind up!
).
However, the annoying council has one positive point:

Makes the final decision of the game pretty easy. Let the bitches die!

Solo

I know I sure as hell did. My first playthrough, at least. I saved them the second time, but I wish I hadnt :lol

This game is pissing me off mightily. I just finished Ilos. By my count I have finished 53 Assignments and 17 missions. Still no Completionist achievement.

Is it because I still have Feros: Data Collection unfinished? I CAN'T finish that assignment, game doesn't allow me to return. ARGH!

EDIT: Shit, I just helped out some addict bureaucrat on Citadel that came across my way and I got Completionist. :D

Solo

I had no problems getting the Ally achievements. Im really wondering if a lot of you arent swapping characters out of your party before completing assignments. I never once had Ashley or Wrex out of my party (aside from the times the game forces them out), and got the Soldier and Krogan Ally achievements before I had even left Virmire. And I sure as hell did less than 53 assignments.

Mrbob

Solo said:
I had no problems getting the Ally achievements. Im really wondering if a lot of you arent swapping characters out of your party before completing assignments. I never once had Ashley or Wrex out of my party (aside from the times the game forces them out), and got the Soldier and Krogan Ally achievements before I had even left Virmire. And I sure as hell did less than 53 assignments.

You need to finish 50 assignments with each character to get the achievement. I counted last game after I got the soldier Ally achievement with Ashley. This also means you need to take them with you on the citidel if you have to talk to someone after the mission. For example, if you take wrex and garrus out on a planet mission, but need to talk to someone on the citidel to complete it, you need to make sure they are in your party then as well. If you have Tali and Ashley in your party on the citidel after the mission, and talk to the person for completion, they will get the mission points instead.

Solo

Are you sure its 50 assignments, and not 50 overall, any combo of missions or assignments? Because Im almost positive that I had like maybe 40 assignments when I got the achievement. I could be wrong though, as I never counted.

Struct09

I beat the game last night (first play through), and had a bit of fun with the game. I don't think I liked it as much as most people here do, but definitely a good game. Not sure if I'll do a 2nd play through, I feel satisfied playing through it just once. I had some good lesbian inter-species loving, and I walk away happy.

Just finished it as Paragon Vanguard. Incredible climax, kudos Bioware. This game can't have a sequel fast enough.

I was Level 49 when I finished it. Got no Ally Achievements. Now, I want to try and hit Level 60 and get the Hardcore achievement. If I want to blitz through the game really fast, should I replay using the same character? Do my Paragon/Renegade ratings reset, so I can play a Renegade 2nd time through? Thanks :)

Ventrue

Mrbob said:
Haha, whoops, I consider those one and the same. Yeah it is 50 overall between missions and assignments.

Hrm, this seems about right for Garrus or Wrex, but I'm unconvinced on Liara. There are 20ish segments to the main quest after meeting her and 20ish sidequests on the main worlds; with about 5 main quests to go I had to do a lot more than 15 uncharted worlds. I have a suspicion that different main quests count for different amounts.

Maybe I'm imagining things though.

EDIT: Yes, your Paragon/Renegade settings reset and yes, it is faster to play through with the same character.

If I get 10 shotgun kills then die and reload the save, do I start with 10 shotgun kills going towards the "shotgun master achievement" or is that progress lost?

Pellham

Banned
Mrbob said:
You need to finish 50 assignments with each character to get the achievement. I counted last game after I got the soldier Ally achievement with Ashley. This also means you need to take them with you on the citidel if you have to talk to someone after the mission. For example, if you take wrex and garrus out on a planet mission, but need to talk to someone on the citidel to complete it, you need to make sure they are in your party then as well. If you have Tali and Ashley in your party on the citidel after the mission, and talk to the person for completion, they will get the mission points instead.

Do those carry over through the various playthroughs? Cause I really enjoy swapping my characters in between missions instead of sticking to the same two.

I just finished the game today, completed it as a paragon infiltrator, though my background/personality was that of ruthless.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Pellham said:
Do those carry over through the various playthroughs? Cause I really enjoy swapping my characters in between missions instead of sticking to the same two.

Nope, doesn't carry over.

Some questions while I try to choose what to play as in my second playthrough:

What would be the best character class to play as in order to get Ashley and Wrex's ally achievements? I want a balanced team with them. Sentinel looks like the best, but it also looks pretty boring..

Is it possible to play Renegade and
not kill Wrex on Virmire?

Is the ending completely different if
you let the council die?

ACE

hooijdonk17 said:
Some questions while I try to choose what to play as in my second playthrough:

What would be the best character class to play as in order to get Ashley and Wrex's ally achievements? I want a balanced team with them. Sentinel looks like the best, but it also looks pretty boring..

Is it possible to play Renegade and
not kill Wrex on Virmire?

Is the ending completely different if
you let the council die?

Yep you can be a Renegade and not kill Wrex

FFChris

I traded this in for COD4 when I completed it. One of the best endings I've seen in a game, fantastic VA and dialogue options, but the technical problems made it impossible for me to play through it again.

Ventrue said:

I'm nearing the end of my eighth and final playthrough, with a total playtime of 104 hours. Just got 1000/1000 achievement points, first game I've ever done that with.

I played through KOTOR twice (which is a rarity). This game kinda reminds me of Oblivion which didn't draw me in initially but because I stuck with it I ended up loving it. Oblivion was one of the few games that got all the achievement points.

I think right now its a time issue. I got done with finals last week and so I've been putting in crazy hours at work to pay for books ($800 worth) and bills heading into next semester.

So I have about 45 minutes of Mass Effect playtime, 30 minutes for Uncharted, and an hour for Assassin's Creed. Mostly playing COD4 online. (I guess now I understand the great appeal of online multiplayer shooters. Even when busy you can still squeeze in a couple matches in 15-20 minutes.) For games like Mass Effect Obivion you probably have to spend ten times as long before you accomplish anything.)

Cipher

a Master Ninja said:
If I get 10 shotgun kills then die and reload the save, do I start with 10 shotgun kills going towards the "shotgun master achievement" or is that progress lost?

If you hit Resume after you die then I'm pretty sure you keep those 10 kills. It seemed like I would get the achievements for abilities soon after I finished an area I was having to redo a couple of times. Could be a coincidence though.

Cipher said:
If you hit Resume after you die then I'm pretty sure you keep those 10 kills. It seemed like I would get the achievements for abilities soon after I finished an area I was having to redo a couple of times. Could be a coincidence though.

Just to reiterate, you do keep the kills, if you hit resume.

Shinjitsu

Banned
a Master Ninja said:

I got the assault rifle achievement by saving right before a room full of 10 guys, killing them and reloading over and over.:D

Vyse The Legend said:
Just to reiterate, you do keep the kills, if you hit resume.

You don't even need to hit resume, the game tallies the kills instantly.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Finally done all the side quests, they are rather boring but some do have a nice story.
Doing it on Hardcore, about to start Virmire.

Just got my Turian ally achivement, but no Asari achivement yet (most likely due to the fact you get her on a quest planet)

So far its been rather easy, once I started using my ally abilities instead of letting them use it them selves I often have no problem, the AI bloody stinks at using its own abilities it seems to shoot them all off at the first enemy.

Am now level 47 and some of the weapon upgrades are sick, that explosive ammo one is insane hehe.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Deacan said:
Yep I picked her up then went back to do the quests.

Just an fyi, it takes roughly 15 story quests and 45 optional quests to get the ally achievements. Not always 100% accurate but it's as close as I could come to after almost 5 play threws getting all the achievements.:D

arhra

Deacan said:
Finally done all the side quests, they are rather boring but some do have a nice story.
Doing it on Hardcore, about to start Virmire.

Just got my Turian ally achivement, but no Asari achivement yet (most likely due to the fact you get her on a quest planet)
If my experience is anything to go by, you'll get Asari ally shortly after finishing Virmire (assuming you're doing that last). I got it from finishing off 'The Fan' on the Citadel after
getting grounded

So far its been rather easy, once I started using my ally abilities instead of letting them use it them selves I often have no problem, the AI bloody stinks at using its own abilities it seems to shoot them all off at the first enemy.

Am now level 47 and some of the weapon upgrades are sick, that explosive ammo one is insane hehe.
If you want a challenge, try starting a new character on Insanity (once you unlock it). Not much different to Hardcore at high levels (things take a bit longer to die, and bosses and so forth might have immunities to biotics or tech abilities, but that's about it; i'm blasting through with a level 60 character right now and it's pretty trivial), but as a new character with innaccurate weapons and very few (and very long-cooldown) abilities, it's brutal (but somehow manages to still be fun, if you can get past the initial frustration). The sidequest planets in particular are insanely hard until you level up a bit (i managed to beat one of the crime bosses for the Helena Blake sidequest, but it took abusing the load zone and a LOT of time to do so). Then i gave up, and devoted that character to just getting the renegade and Turian/Krogan Ally achievements (as Wrex/Garrus/Infiltrator wasn't a particularly good combo for Insanity, what with the lack of lift/singularity).

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
If my experience is anything to go by, you'll get Asari ally shortly after finishing Virmire (assuming you're doing that last). I got it from finishing off 'The Fan' on the Citadel after
getting grounded

I got the Turian Ally after doing "The Fan" Poor chap only wanted to follow in my footsteps, too bad in typical asshole shepherd fashion, I pulled a gun on him :D

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
just started playing this the other day, and i like it far better than i expected to, since i could never get into kotor. so far i've gone through a million citadel sidequests and a couple planetary missions -- the intricacies of its world suggest a sci fi novel (though i can't be bothered to read sci fi novels), i dig its 70s space opera look, and i both enjoy and am totally confused by the combat.

oh, i also spent a ridiculously long time trying to reproduce my facial features in character creation -- heavy brow, broken nose, narrow jaw, small mouth -- and ended up with a shepard who doesn't resemble me at all. but he looks more human than a lot of bioware's characters, and i'm weirdly proud of this whenever he shows up in cutscenes. although i regret my random decision to give him grey eyes, which looked cool in the creation screen but don't work in practice

drohne said:
although i regret my random decision to give him grey eyes, which looked cool in the creation screen but don't work in practice

Yeah. Somehow the eyes I picked in Creation are like purple now. No like.

Anyway. All the disc and disc drive drama is over and I can finally sit down and enjoy Mass Effects for realsies. Last night I finished up everything but the Hot Lab on Noveria.
Benezia
was as tough as legend told, although really it was her troops. Pre-Cutscene wasn't bad once you realized where the reinforcements were coming from, but post-cutscene it's this sudden swarm that wiped me out like a dozen times.

But I did beat it and it was nice to level up twice in one fight. But..uh...I inadvertenly ended up
killing every guard in Peak 15, even that polite Lieutenant. And I even took the short cut, but instead of turning into the Benezia room, I went straight because I saw all those red dots. Followed it around and all of a sudden I was back at the Lieutenant section and everyone was dead by my hand.

Whoops.

watership

Anyone have links to videos of guys talking and walking around using the Mass Effect interface in live action? I saw a few but I can't find any links to them anymore. Some were from MS and some were from a game mag or website.

Thanks in advance.

newsguy

Ok my space traveling friends. I'm 20 hours in and I have a couple of questions.

I only have one planet left to explore and that's Virmire. I've read people with as many as 35 hours at this point. Any suggestions for more side missions? My buddy told me Flux bar has a few. I have talked to my crew and the only 2 missions I got from them were Garrus and Wrex's missions.

Ventrue

watership said:
Anyone have links to videos of guys talking and walking around using the Mass Effect interface in live action? I saw a few but I can't find any links to them anymore. Some were from MS and some were from a game mag or website.

Thanks in advance.

Well there is this one.

Kevtones

This game is surprisingly awesome. The world they've created is fantastic and I'm actually bonding to the character I've created and the ones around him. This game is sooooooo much better than KOTOR ever was.

newsguy

Kevtones said:
This game is surprisingly awesome. The world they've created is fantastic and I'm actually bonding to the character I've created and the ones around him. This game is sooooooo much better than KOTOR ever was.

Amen to that. I hated KOTOR. I love this game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just got my copy today. I'll probably put a few hours into it tonight.

I too hated KotOR, so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised here.

newsguy

Mejilan said:
Just got my copy today. I'll probably put a few hours into it tonight.

I too hated KotOR, so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised here.

I think you will. To put things in perspective, I have never played through any RPG (American or Japanese) and I dislike the genre in general. This game makes you care about the characters, the decisions you make, and talking to people is interesting. It will be the first RPG I ever beat (if you don't count Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga).

Top Bottom