• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Just finished my second play through Mass Effect. Played through on Hardcore and got my Renegade achievement as well. A little pissed that I didn't get the Krogan and Human ally achievements. I did a shit ton of side-quests. Anyway, second play through was perhaps even better than the first. My first took me 15-hours my second took me 20-hours.

My Shepeard is a beast. He's a Soldier, and I've got all the defensive stats maxed out as well as Assault Training AND Shock Trooper. And Spectre training. My Kaiden has all the biotics maxed out so we're a pretty good team. And I have Heavy armor, with like 500+ shields, and ammunition that is +40% damage to synthetics and like no heat generation at all so I can basically play the game like Halo:lol Run forward in the wide open spraying bullets everywhere taking hardly any damage and mowing over my enemies. Probably going to get the character to 60 just to get the achievement and to be maxed out for Mass Effect 2. Might try my hand at an Adept eventually too.

As far as suggestions for Mass Effect 2, here I go.

- First and foremost, fix the technical issues. This includes the framerate, screen tearing, and pop-up textures which seems to be an UE3 problem in general.

- Make the Mako more interesting and diverse. You spent quite a bit of time in it, so giving it stat points too may make it more interesting. Allow for armor and weapon upgrades as the game goes on.

- Not really something that's needed but possibly just for further depth in combat, maybe we could see some ship-based space combat.

Overall Bioware did a great job. My favorite game from Bioware so far and probably one of my favorite single-player RPGs on all time.

So I'm thinking of restarting my second playthrough as a Soldier. Beyond the achievements, I'm just not feeling my Infiltrator. My first Shepard was a Vanguard, and that was a great playthrough. I've upped the difficulty on my second one and Infiltrator has only proven to be frustrating. I'm not feeling any of the abilities, and sniping has proven to be frustrating. Granted I'm only a level 14 or so...but still.

ToyMachine228 said:
- Make the Mako more interesting and diverse. You spent quite a bit of time in it, so giving it stat points too may make it more interesting. Allow for armor and weapon upgrades as the game goes on.
I found an NPC that talks about selling you upgrades for your Mako. Looks like it just didn't make the cut. =(

Mrbob

I just started a 4th run now on Insanity difficulty.

I love the fact everything in your inventory duplicates. Now I can give Ashley Colossus X medium armor too. Plus I have Tungsten rounds to use with her as well. I also have all the health/weapon/shield bonuses as well through achievements, and my shepard character can take a ton of damage. I was standing in the open and let a couple geth fire on me. After my shields were gone my energy bar was draining SLIGHTLY. It was crazy. Without even using immunity.

So after I get my insanity achievement I'll start a new character.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15346/BioWare-Confirms-Mass-Effect-Sequel/

BioWare (accidentally?) announced today the title of the second volume in the Mass Effect series of novels, confirming also that there will be a sequel to the Xbox 360 exclusive.

Del-Rey Books and author Drew Karpyshyn have announced the title of the second volume in the Mass Effect series of novels: Mass Effect: Ascension. Set between the first and second game, the novel will arrive in Summer 2008.

When EA acquired BioWare, the future of the Mass Effect trilogy was in peril, but with the developer now confirming that there will be a second game, we are pretty sure the companies involved have come to an agreement.

First novel was decent read. Will be interesting to see how story goes after Shepard became spectre.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Finished reading the manual. Currently reading through the Galactic Codex: Essentials (Edition 2183), before starting up the game.

Any suggestions about character building? In my RPGs, I typically prefer mage-type casts and builds.

Phthisis

Mejilan said:
Finished reading the manual. Currently reading through the Galactic Codex: Essentials (Edition 2183), before starting up the game.

Any suggestions about character building? In my RPGs, I typically prefer mage-type casts and builds.

Biotic is all "magic" and you can train in pistols.
Sentinel is a combination between biotic and engineer, allowing you some "magic" and some tech skills, with no weapons training.
Vanguard is a combination between biotic and soldier, allowing some "magic" and training in pistols and shotguns.

Mejilan

Yes, thank you, I did read the manual. I asked only because a friend warned me that certain character builds can potentially ruin the experience.

Phthisis

Mejilan said:
Yes, thank you, I did read the manual. I asked only because a friend warned me that certain character builds can potentially ruin the experience.

The only way I can see it ruining the experience is by becoming too easy if you play with a gun-heavy class like soldier or vanguard. In that case, just bump up the difficulty.

The beginning of the game is pretty tough regardless of class, especially if you're a biotic. If you play a biotic-heavy class, you're going to want to get familiar with right on the d-pad. Biotics require more efficiency using squad ability commands and utilizing all three characters at once while soldiers and vanguards (and to a certain extent infiltrators) can run and gun more often.

Mejilan

Hmmm, would you say that playing as a Biotic is more strategic, then?

What about the Vanguard? Nerfed in the late-game, compared to a pure Soldier, or a pure Adept?

Shinjitsu said:
I got the assault rifle achievement by saving right before a room full of 10 guys, killing them and reloading over and over.:D

You don't even need to hit resume, the game tallies the kills instantly.
Thank you.

Mejilan said:
Hmmm, would you say that playing as a Biotic is more strategic, then?

What about the Vanguard? Nerfed in the late-game, compared to a pure Soldier, or a pure Adept?

Nah, just the opposite. Vanguard has advantages over both pure classes.

Mejilan

Thanks. That's probably the way I'll go then. Fighter/Mage is rarely a bad combo in unfamiliar RPGs, in my experience. :D

Phthisis

Mejilan said:
Any recommendations on how I should spend my points?

It's mostly up to you on how you want to play (defensive versus offensive). If you're playing with a specific paragon or renegade path in mind, then you should spend points on charm and intimidate, respectively as you can use those skills in some situations to gain some bonus paragon/renegade points.

By level 50 you will have enough points to fill up a little more than half your skills to full bar.

Vanguard is easily the most fun class overall. Finished as one, now I can't really enjoy any other class in my second playthrough.

I started as an engineer but it got boring the moment I got all engineering related achievements. I've also almost reached the poitn where I can get the paragon achievement so I may as well stop and restart with a different class, but I don't know what would actually be fun. Maybe the Infiltrator..

Ventrue

hooijdonk17 said:
Vanguard is easily the most fun class overall. Finished as one, now I can't really enjoy any other class in my second playthrough.

I started as an engineer but it got boring the moment I got all engineering related achievements. I've also almost reached the poitn where I can get the paragon achievement so I may as well stop and restart with a different class, but I don't know what would actually be fun. Maybe the Infiltrator..

Infiltrator sucks. I most enjoyed Sentinel, myself. But if you've already done Vanguard and Engineer, you might like to try Adept.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I got my Asari ally achivement, got it from talking to the terra ferma party member at the citadel.

She was about 3 quests behind Garrus.

/Edit/ My advice is too use your party abilties your self, as the AI is stupid, they unload all their abilities on the first enemy if you let them use everything, as doing a well timed Overload + Lift can turn a army of 5 geth into nothing but exp ;) /Edit/

Deacan

Defensive is fine, as they will use defensive skills when they are attacked such as barrier, its the offensive moves that are the problem.

Solo

ToyMachine228 said:
As far as suggestions for Mass Effect 2, here I go.

- First and foremost, fix the technical issues. This includes the framerate, screen tearing, and pop-up textures which seems to be an UE3 problem in general.

Require HDD for ME2 and lots of these issues should disappear.

Hellraizer said:
Very nice. Lets hope ME2 will follow shortly after ;)

However I doubt the novel will be around Shepard, since Me1 and ME2 are supposed to be connected, our decisions from ME will (or should) be reflected in ME2.

360 Syncable eBook confirmed?

;D

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the universe but holy ass-shit that scene in the first book with Little Saren Goes To Hospital was the most heavy-handed thing EVAH.

Coverly

I've been having a blast with this game. Currently I'm going through all the planets before I tackle Noveria and Ferros(got the rich achivement yesterday), and I have a couple of questions:

1. Light Quarian Armor for Tali is impossible to find. Where can I find something really good for her? When I look in the shops, there's a lot of turian and Krogan armor, but Quarian is hard to find. Are there any tips as to who might have the best armor for her?

2. Is there spectre class Med Armor for the main character? If so, when is it usually available?

3. Is anybody else really disappointed by the ME picture packs up so far? I'm especially disappointed in the Tali gamer pic, it looks so low res and blocky, and she blends with the background so it's hard to make her stand out. There is also no Liara, Consort, or the shady volus in the financial district in the two packs, how about some variety.

Also, have you guys tried messing with the spider looking geths with the mako? Those things are menacing when you're on foot but if you hit them with the mako they trip and cant fire. You can push them and to keep them down you can get on top of them(they'll try to push you off though). Yesterday I pushed one down the whole mountain and kama sutra'd it all over meji. Somehow those spider geths don't seem that intimidating anymore.

How do I get Turian ally? I played through with Wrex and Garrus the entire time, got completionist even, but only got Krogan ally. The only sidequest I have open to me now is the mineral search, but I'm missing 3 light metals and can't find them. I've looked everywhere, but no dice. Is there something special you have to do with each character to get their ally achievments?

DustinC

Gorechylde said:
How do I get Turian ally? I played through with Wrex and Garrus the entire time, got completionist even, but only got Krogan ally. The only sidequest I have open to me now is the mineral search, but I'm missing 3 light metals and can't find them. I've looked everywhere, but no dice. Is there something special you have to do with each character to get their ally achievments?

Did you do Wrek and Garrus' personal quests that you get from speaking with them?

DustinC said:
Did you do Wrek and Garrus' personal quests that you get from speaking with them?

Yes. I found the doc and got wrex's armor. I literally have no sidequests left to do other than the minerals and I searched every system before landing on Ilos just to try and finish it out.

Love your avatar by the way. Hellblazer is a great comic.

Edit: That is another question. How are you supposed to reach 60? I logged a 34 hour playthrough on hardcore and didn't break into 50 and I did every quest I could find. I haven't been through with the extra 5% xp, but I don't think that will net me 10 levels. Maybe you have to kill everything on foot?

You can get level 60 only on the second play trough with a Level 50 Career. However, for those 10 levels you need to do everything again, since the amount of EXP needed is huge.

Also, killing everything outside the Mako will give you double EXP, so yes, you should always get out of the Mako and kill the enemies (or weaken stronger Enemies like the Maws with the Mako and then finish them off on foot)

Hellraizer said:
You can get level 60 only on the second play trough with a Level 50 Career. However, for those 10 levels you need to do everything again, since the amount of EXP needed is huge.

Also, killing everything outside the Mako will give you double EXP, so yes, you should always get out of the Mako and kill the enemies (or weaken stronger Enemies like the Maws with the Mako and then finish them off on foot)

Ah. Thanks for the info. I didn't even know you could restart with an old career save.

SuperBonk

I know I said Rock Band was my GOTY in the Rock Band thread, but if Mass Effect continues at this pace, it will no doubt overtake it.

Gorechylde said:
Ah. Thanks for the info. I didn't even know you could restart with an old career save.
However, you can't switch classes (only if you create a whole new career), but you keep everything, skill, level and items. Only your Paragon/Renegade bars will be reseted.

Hellraizer said:
Very nice. Lets hope ME2 will follow shortly after ;)

However I doubt the novel will be around Shepard, since Me1 and ME2 are supposed to be connected, our decisions from ME will (or should) be reflected in ME2.
You mean, if you selected Captain Anderson as a council member, that will be reflected in ME2. I didn't know that information nugget.

MirageDwarf said:
You mean, if you selected Captain Anderson as a spectre, that will be reflected in ME2. I didn't know that information nugget.
Spectre?

You mean council?

Well, it should be. If it's a trilogy where you can carry over your career, it would be pointless if

The council is intact, if you choose not to save them

or

Ashley and Alenko are both alive, or the one you actually didn't save

Don't see any other point in making such big decisions, especially not the last big one, if it's not reflected in ME2 and 3.

Statement from Drew Karpyshyn (ME story/novel writer) about the second novel and probably ME2, from the ME bioware Forums:

Hey, there. Just to give everyone the heads up, the novel will NOT be about Shepard. Shepard is YOUR character, and when you play Mass Effect (and ME2) you get to create your version of Shepard's story. So Ascension, like Revelation, will focus on characters besides Shepard.

So what is Ascension about? Not going to tell you yet. But you will some familiar faces, a few new ones, and get a much closer look at the culture of one of the alien species featured in Mass Effect. And, like Revelation, Ascension will be your first introduction to some key characters for the ME2 game. And we'll also get a closer look at biotics, and what humanity is doing to tap into the amazing potential in that field.

Okay, that's all I can say for now.

Drew

Hellraizer said:
Don't see any other point in making such big decisions, especially not the last big one, if it's not reflected in ME2 and 3.

I hope they keep it specific to your Shepard's story instead of dictating what happened when the sequels come out.

The council living or dying
is rather significant and I'd hate to see them ignore what the player chose.

TheDuce22

Banned
Just beat it. 30 hours of pure awesomeness. I was adept, I mainly used Wrex and Tali. The toughest battle was probably the matriarch.

Edit: Reading through the thread, im trying to figure out what are these "technical issues" people keep refering to? KOTOR had technical issues with crashes and such but I never ran into anything like that here.

Ventrue

Coverly said:
Also, have you guys tried messing with the spider looking geths with the mako? Those things are menacing when you're on foot but if you hit them with the mako they trip and cant fire. You can push them and to keep them down you can get on top of them(they'll try to push you off though). Yesterday I pushed one down the whole mountain and kama sutra'd it all over meji. Somehow those spider geths don't seem that intimidating anymore.

I liked to try and get them onto the roof of the Mako and drive around with them.

arhra

TheDuce22 said:
Edit: Reading through the thread, im trying to figure out what are these "technical issues" people keep refering to? KOTOR had technical issues with crashes and such but I never ran into anything like that here.
Frame rate, texture popping, occasional collision problems. There's a few places where you can break the scripting for conversations and quests, too (i managed to get stuck in a conversation with a completely blank dialogue wheel once, in the Hot Labs on Noveria), but they're very rare and you have to deliberately do things in an illogical order to hit them.

Deacan

I've done my Hardcore run, going to give the game a break so I don't get gaming burnout I'll return for a veteran run.

It almost sad that the game is over, ah well.

I must say the game soundtrack is awesome, reminds me a bit of Escape from New York.

As I posted after that ;)

Hey, there. Just to give everyone the heads up, the novel will NOT be about Shepard. Shepard is YOUR character, and when you play Mass Effect (and ME2) you get to create your version of Shepard's story. So Ascension, like Revelation, will focus on characters besides Shepard.

So what is Ascension about? Not going to tell you yet. But you will some familiar faces, a few new ones, and get a much closer look at the culture of one of the alien species featured in Mass Effect. And, like Revelation, Ascension will be your first introduction to some key characters for the ME2 game. And we'll also get a closer look at biotics, and what humanity is doing to tap into the amazing potential in that field.

Okay, that's all I can say for now.

Drew

Sysgen

Having trouble with the Varren Meat quest. I killed the alpha and I looked on google and it says to talk to this Darren guy but when I do he just says she'e gone and I don't want to talk about it. Anyone?

Top Bottom