• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

kay

Shawn128 said:
Ah, thanks for the heads up. *themoreyouknow.jpg*

Why would they make it in such limited quantities? Seems like something many would be willing to pay for...
Because they probably don't make a lot of money off of that version as the regular, maybe even lose some.

arhra

Shawn128 said:
Ah, thanks for the heads up. *themoreyouknow.jpg*

Why would they make it in such limited quantities? Seems like something many would be willing to pay for...
The Limited Edition is being produced in limited quantities?

Who'd ever have thunk it.

(although after years of Halo 2-style 'limited editions' that are still on sale years later, the term has somewhat lost it's meaning these days...)

Aren't Kmart and Sears the same company now? Sears.com shows Mass Effect in stock and shipping. Might be worth checking out if you are in the neighborhood.

Zzoram

To all you guys who have it and are playing it:

How is the frame rate and screen tearing? Is there pop-in and does it look jaggy?

Don't spoil anything obviously, but could you please let us know how it's performing from a technical stand point. Thank you.

watership

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Probably related to the Xbox Live weirdness going on right now... the service is spotty atm, and even xbox.com and various other websites are affected.

That's probably it. I tried to get it to work 3 times in Firefox and the 3rd time on IE it worked.

sionyboy said:
Hey, Che or Luke or King Jesus of Microsoft; are the cutscenes in the game all real-time, or have you come across any that are pre-rendered?

I'm pretty sure that everything will end up being real-time, but I don't want to go telling friends, family and anyone else who will listen that everything is in-game, only to be proven wrong in two weeks time.

realtime, behold the fruits.

OXM US I believe:

The experience as a whole - the sense of awe that lasts all game long, and the emotions in your gut as you sit back at the end and just gape - pays off all on its own. Personally, it's the best game I've ever played, but even if you're not a hardcore sci-fi nerd like me, Mass Effect is a transcendent experience, the new standard-setter for what a game can be. You have to play it, and that's why we're kinda jealous of you. Even if you memorized all the previews and trailers, you're still not ready for how awesome this game is.

10/10
http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/News-82367.aspx

sh4mike

Christ, I need to stop reading these awesome impressions and reviews. I'm going crazy with the wait. This is my most anticipated title since...Halo 2, probably.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Awesome. Two GOTCs. One day.
I know. Even though I'll be paying over $200 for this and Rock Band day one, I still feel like I'm cheating someone and need to pay more. Y'know, outta respect.
Or insanity.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
All I have to say is, thank god for CoD4, SMG, and Assassin's Creed. Without them these weeks leading up to Mass Effect would be torture.

sh4mike

So I started doing a bit more research. Mass Effect has perhaps the greatest version of New Game + in the history of gaming. From their lead designer:

- The level cap on the first playthrough is 50.
- Beating the game the first time raises the cap to 60.
- You can reach this cap by playing a new character (very hard to reach) or using an old character to re-enter the game.
- You bring over all your gear and money from the previous playthrough when you restart with an old character.
- You can customize new characters on subsequent playthroughs using unlocked talents earned from achievements. Think Adept with a shotgun.

Now that's serious incentive to replay. Not to mention that you'll be able to carry your character over to the sequel. Amazing job, Bioware.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=585782&forum=104&sp=30

Snaku

Banned
sh4mike said:
So I started doing a bit more research. Mass Effect has perhaps the greatest version of New Game + in the history of gaming. From their lead designer:

- You can reach this cap by playing a new character (very hard to reach) or using an old character to re-enter the game.
- You bring over all your gear and money from the previous playthrough when you restart with an old character.
- You can customize new characters on subsequent playthroughs using unlocked talents earned from achievements. Think Adept with a shotgun.

Now that's serious incentive to replay. Not to mention that you'll be able to carry your character over to the sequel. Amazing job, Bioware.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=585782&forum=104&sp=30

Holy shit, that's awesome! As if I needed more incentive to replay a Bioware game (KotOR: 4 times, Jade Empire: 5 times). :lol

sh4mike said:

Stunningly awesome. I can't wait to roll through early encounters on a second playthrough and just stomp.

sh4mike

Five difficulty settings -- hardest two unlocked after initial playthrough to keep it challenging on New Game + (with Insanity being REALLY hard -- yeah!). Like KOTOR, all can be changed on the fly so you don't have to worry about getting stuck at a particular (poorly balanced) location. This is the perfect method to implement difficulty.

Easy
Normal
Hard
Hardcore
Insanity

I must sound like a viral -- between dedicated SP, action RPG elements, replay incentive via skill tree unlock on subsequent starts, New Game + (hate starting out with zero powers on replay), and accomodating difficulty setting, this is pretty much everything I could ask for in a game. We're talking wish-list material here.

Well, there is one thing I wish they would have changed -- it's unfortunate that we cannot take direct control over other party members like KOTOR.

Otherwise, perfect.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=596834&forum=104&sp=0

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Mmm, so fapalicious. It pains me so that this and AC are in some people's hands, though.

One thing Ihaven't heard much about is music. I'm totally hyped for AC's and Uncharted's music (both due to pedigree composing, and samples), but ME's been fairly off my radar in that regard. Anyone care to fill me in?

jvalioli

SnakeXs said:
Mmm, so fapalicious. It pains me so that this and AC are in some people's hands, though.

One thing Ihaven't heard much about is music. I'm totally hyped for AC's and Uncharted's music (both due to pedigree composing, and samples), but ME's been fairly off my radar in that regard. Anyone care to fill me in?
I'm curious about this too. Have we heard anything besides the trailer/commercial music?

Dartastic said:
I am officially SO sick and tired of street dates. They always get broken, and I never get the game ahead of time.

I'm with you.

Got the game pre-ordered, but seeing pics in the wild is torture.

jet1911

sh4mike said:

Amazing. This is going to be an amazing game. :eek:

Snaku

Banned
jvalioli said:
I'm curious about this too. Have we heard anything besides the trailer/commercial music?

There are three tracks on the bonus disc you get when you pre-order the game. All three are awesome.

After reading seeing the new trailer, reading the OXM review and the new details revealed by the angel sh4mike my hype meter is out of this galaxy. GOTY confirmed

EDIT: Does anyone have any sweet HD wallpapers?

goMaki

To anyone thats played as a Female character in the game. Are there any male choices for romance in game? Or are you stuck with the same female romances that the male characters get?

DuckRacer

goMaki said:
To anyone thats played as a Female character in the game. Are there any male choices for romance in game? Or are you stuck with the same female romances that the male characters get?
I haven't played the game, but from what I've heard I'm positive there's male romances.

OXM Review:
"If you feel like a cliche is swelling to an annoying size, brace yourself- a twist is headed your way. Take the game's chief villain, for instance, just as he reaches cartoonish proportions, the rug is pulled out from beneath you."

birthdaykid.gif

I"m sure this will be an extra sweet moment for those who read the novel.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
as an update from earlier.

at 4:30pm I called my K-Mart in near proximity (Clio, Michigan) and they had 10 copies. When I showed up around 5:00pm, they had sold eight copies (a few people drove 50-60 miles to come up here and buy it specifically). There was two left, one the lady reserved for me even though I didn't ask but she said since I called she kept it aside. Anyways, I bought myself one copy and my buddy who was with me, I told him the whole story about it being out early and what not and he decided to buy it and put it on Ebay.

I am unwrapping mine now (went to a concert so had to put it on hold). Can't wait. Bioware makes me fap all over the screen lol.

Top Bottom