• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Odrion

Banned
Holy shit.

Alright, I'm going to be waiting for K-Mart to open so I can call them and check for the game. Please god, let me play this game before midterms.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Odrion said:
Holy shit.

Alright, I'm going to be waiting for K-Mart to open so I can call them and check for the game. Please god, let me play this game before midterms.

I'd honestly wait 'till after midterms so you, you know, won't fail them.

Odrion

Banned
EvaPlusMinus said:
I'd honestly wait 'till after midterms so you, you know, won't fail them.
I'm talking about playing it before I commit myself to a week of sleepless studying and all that jazz.

Zzoram

I read the 4 page review, it's good. Too bad they had a spoiler in the first page, but it's a spoiler that I've accidentally seen/heard so many times I don't consider it a spoiler anymore.

Zzoram said:
I read the 4 page review, it's good. Too bad they had a spoiler in the first page, but it's a spoiler that I've accidentally seen/heard so many times I don't consider it a spoiler anymore.

Is the spoiler a minor one or should I just resort to reading pages 2-4 of the review? Or better yet, what part of the 1st page is the spoiler located?

Zzoram

Antdogg355 said:
Is the spoiler a minor one or should I just resort to reading pages 2-4 of the review? Or better yet, what part of the 1st page is the spoiler located?

The last 4 lines or so of the first page. Just skip the last paragraph.

Mudo

A few things I saw asked on the last page about the game (K-Mart here had them in the case for sale, I only even thought to look after reading this thread earlier) :
1. Framerate - I have noticed some small framerate problem so far, nothing too bad though, but I do know that a lot of people are much more sensitive to that kind of thing than I am.

2. Pop-in - Have not seen any yet there may be some later but a couple hours in and nothing I have noticed.

3. Screen Tearing - none so far at least that I have noticed.

4. Jaggies - Hmm can't say I have been looking for them but I haven't really seen many, it's really pretty any way you cut it.

So far, the music has been great. Lots and lots of branching dialogue just in the first several minutes. The Codex that acts as the encyclopedia is cool - and the "primary" section of it has been fully voiced so far....pretty cool and unexpected. The graphics are, of course, great - and I turned off the "Film Effect" grainy look and I like it more turned off.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
So I have put in an 30 minutes or more into just creating my character. I love this game. I feel like i am walking on the clouds and angels are singing to me!!!

temp

posting on contract only
Caspel said:
So I have put in an 30 minutes or more into just creating my character. I love this game. I feel like i am walking on the clouds and angels are singing to me!!!
I hate you. :(

besada

Banned
chespace said:
Really nice box actually. :D

1938907883_7dde6c2664.jpg

Is that a cabling diagram above the patch panel? Are all your patch panels diagrammed? Can I come be your technician?

golem

sh4mike said:
So I started doing a bit more research. Mass Effect has perhaps the greatest version of New Game + in the history of gaming. From their lead designer:

- The level cap on the first playthrough is 50.
- Beating the game the first time raises the cap to 60.
- You can reach this cap by playing a new character (very hard to reach) or using an old character to re-enter the game.
- You bring over all your gear and money from the previous playthrough when you restart with an old character.
- You can customize new characters on subsequent playthroughs using unlocked talents earned from achievements. Think Adept with a shotgun.

Now that's serious incentive to replay. Not to mention that you'll be able to carry your character over to the sequel. Amazing job, Bioware.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=585782&forum=104&sp=30
That sounds actually alot like Wasteland's new game+ (although you start with no gear iirc)... anyone ever hit Supreme Jerk in that game? Level 183 lol

xabre

Banned
Forgive me for jumping the gun but has there been any estimates on the availability of the next game in the series? Since the engine and many environs are already in place could it be a once a year proposition for the two sequels?

I know the game will end up leaving me craving more so I'm just wondering if anything has been said regarding this.

temp

posting on contract only
xabre said:
Forgive me for jumping the gun but has there been any estimates on the availability of the next game in the series? Since the engine and many environs are already in place could it be a once a year proposition for the two sequels?

I know the game will end up leaving me craving more so I'm just wondering if anything has been said regarding this.
If KotOR 2 taught us anything, let's go for two years.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
u_neek said:
Don't know if this has been asked before but does anybody know if the game is region free?

Not sure about that, but it is bad free.

So buy it.

Naeblish

That oxm review was all kinds of awesome. But only 10 save slots and no free roaming after the game is done, what kind of stupid choices are that?

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Naeblish said:
That oxm review was all kinds of awesome. But only 10 save slots and no free roaming after the game is done, what kind of stupid choices are that?

I'd assume you just do your free roaming from the last save point, just like Final Fantasy. It sucks, but it is what it is.

10 save slots is kinda silly, but who cares! It's mass effect.

Variable

Naeblish said:
Also, reading this review makes me wonder what stopped ME from being John's goty. What games does he usually like?

After playing some Call of Duty 4, I have to assume John was drunk during that podcast.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
sh4mike said:
So I started doing a bit more research. Mass Effect has perhaps the greatest version of New Game + in the history of gaming. From their lead designer:

- The level cap on the first playthrough is 50.
- Beating the game the first time raises the cap to 60.
- You can reach this cap by playing a new character (very hard to reach) or using an old character to re-enter the game.
- You bring over all your gear and money from the previous playthrough when you restart with an old character.
- You can customize new characters on subsequent playthroughs using unlocked talents earned from achievements. Think Adept with a shotgun.

Now that's serious incentive to replay. Not to mention that you'll be able to carry your character over to the sequel. Amazing job, Bioware.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=585782&forum=104&sp=30

Oh man...

I was already 100% sure of going through atleast another playthrough, but now that I know that I can keep my character, his/her level, gear and money? No doubt about it now!

For someone who doesn't even like RPG's like myself, they are really going all out to hook me into this game!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Skilotonn said:
For someone who doesn't even like RPG's like myself, they are really going all out to hook me into this game!
Pretty much my thoughts on the game.

Funny thing is, I know quite a few people who love KOTOR, but have no intentions of picking this up for various reasons.

DKehoe

In create a character do you get to choose a voice? I'm just worried that I will create a character and the voice given to it won't match how it should sound.

Mudo

xbhaskarx said:
Question about character creation, do you start from default Shepard? Meaning, can I play him, but slightly modified physically?

Well, I was curious after you asked, and it doesn't seem you can. It would let me choose Shepard's face, or when I went to customize it looked to just pull up a random face and let you start modifying it. I tried it 2 more times and each time it would pull up character creation and change from John's face to a a non-John face (the same one each time) and then let you start modifying it.

Also, I don't see anywhere to change your voice in the character creation. On a brighter note, both the male and female voices I have heard for the main character are really good.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
single DVD and I, too, haven't found any voice changing options.

as a side note, when you start off the game when the action hits, make sure you don't give the guy on the left of the screen (when you can change weapons) the sniper. I gave it to him while I took the shotgun and my group didn't last long since the enemies were somewhat mid-range to long range enemies and killed us quite fast.

Additionally, you may want to turn on auto save; I died and I had to start the whole character creation process and first 10-15 minutes of dialogue all over again.

Can't wait to play more.

Called a couple of Kmarts this morning - they seem to be wise to the street date and both said they've gotten a lot of calls this morning.

JayDubya

Banned
All the K-Mart's I know of went out of business. There's apparently one 30 miles away, but...

Well, tempting, but I've still got too much FEAR AND AWE IN MY EYES to go gallivanting around the state looking for some asshole store that couldn't respect a street date.

Also, from those of you lucky jerks that have the darn thing in hand, more info on character classes and skills and character building and what party members are what character class... plz.

JayDubya said:
Also, from those of you lucky jerks that have the darn thing in hand, more info on character classes and skills and character building and what party members are what character class... plz.
Yes, please. That'd be great.

JayDubya - what are you going to use the first time around? I usually go for the generalist characters that do a bit of everything, but I'm not sure what fits the bill from the six classes.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
DKehoe said:
Play.com seem to be insisting it comes out for them on the 16th.

Hmm i wonder if thats the date they'll get them in

Shopto has me worried as well:

"We have temporarily stopped taking pre orders due to high demand. If you have Pre-Ordered we will dispatch your copy as soon as we receive the product."

I haven't pre-ordered, not sure where Im gonna be.

R&R

Here (in Finland) while I mas making a pre-order for Assassins Creed in a local gaming store, the clerk who is normally very informed about new releases and dates and such, said to me that they are not sure if they will get any copies on release. The reason is, according to finnish importer, that there has been a huge amount of pre-orders in big european countries and they are not sure if they will be able to deliver enough copies there. So smaller countries lose out.

And again this guy is not some GameStop douchebag, but a guy I know very well and has rarely been wrong.

Anyways, I have 2 pre-orders already from abroad, so I should be safe =)

JayDubya

Banned
Cornballer said:
JayDubya - what are you going to use the first time around? I usually go for the generalist characters that do a bit of everything, but I'm not sure what fits the bill from the six classes.

First time around through any Bioware / Black Isle game? Usually jack the combat difficulty up and play something as heavily armed and armored as possible.

In BG1-2 that was a Paladin (Cavalier kit).

In KotOR1-2 that means Jedi Guardian / Weapon Master in Heavy Armor.

In Jade Empire that was kind of not possible, so I went with Tiger Shin and gave him as much additional Body as needed and enough Mind to wield weapons a lot.

In pure D&D terms I tend to like heavily specialized characters, melee combat preferred, and defense > offense - so generally no Rogue / Barbarians. Secondarily, I like healing and buffs / leadership bonus type stuff, so like Clerics and Bards and Paladins are pretty awesome. The D&D Paladin fits my bill perfectly - less offensive power than a Fighter, but more immunities and resistances and specialization for fighting demons and undead and the like.

So for this game? Soldier. Only class that gets Heavy Armor. There's no melee weapons in the game, so that's kind of :(. And like I said, my favorite Offense is a great Defense.

The wife always plays Squishies, and she always plays these Bioware games, so I'm thinking she'll get through the game as a Sentinel. In KotOR, she played as a Consular, of course, and her Jade Empire character was almost purely mage.

And then I'll probably play through it again as an evil sonuvabitch with as much offensive power as I can muster, maybe with stealth as well - so I'm thinking Infiltrator. With that in mind, I think I'll be focusing on Assault Rifle and Shotgun on the first playthrough, but mostly Assault Rifle since I think that skill is Soldier only. I also really want to know what the Soldier's Assault Training skill does.

And then I'll rely on Liara or whomever for healing the party.

Uncle

R&R said:
Here (in Finland) while I mas making a pre-order for Assassins Creed in a local gaming store, the clerk who is normally very informed about new releases and dates and such, said to me that they are not sure if they will get any copies on release. The reason is, according to finnish importer, that there has been a huge amount of pre-orders in big european countries and they are not sure if they will be able to deliver enough copies there. So smaller countries lose out.

That is a lie, because I don't want to believe it.

R&R

Uncle said:
That is a lie, because I don't want to believe it.

Yeah, I know, was pretty surprised in hearing that myself. I mean, for the finnish importer of Sony products all kinds of shit has happened quite often, but I haven't heard something like this for ages - for a single game. The amount of pre-orders in continental europe has to be humongous.

Anyways, propably this worst case scenario doesn't even come to be, because I think that at least the copies of regular editions will arrive on release, or at the very least next monday-tuesday. Limited editions...well, there this might be the (sad) case =(

Top Bottom