• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

watership said:
If this game has really raised the bar, presentation wise. The music alone is the best this year. Better than the Halo 3 soundtrack. Now I feel dirty.

I find the opening menu music and the select file music absolutely mesmerising. That said, the rest of the score is great, but still pales in comparison to HALO 3's soundtrack. I couldn't see you making that claim had HALO 3 been the first time you had heard any tune from the series.

pj

Banned
GavinGT said:
Halo soundtrack = Halo 3 soundtrack. But sound is so much more important in an RPG.

Fixed..

So much of halo 3's stuff is redone versions of songs from h1 and h2

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
JayDubya said:
Whereas I <3 reading game manuals. Read 'em first thing before starting any game. :lol

Same. I love manuals of all kinds. I actually read through the entire Adobe Photoshop 5 manual, once. :|

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I the only time I ever read manuals was when I was a little kid and was riding in the car home after buying a game.

GavinGT

Banned
pj325is said:
Fixed..

So much of halo 3's stuff is redone versions of songs from h1 and h2

Eh, I didn't care as much for all the horns and extra fanfare Marty threw in for Halo 3. Halo had some amazing tunes ("Walk in the Woods", anyone?) and the main theme was just perfect the way it was. I would have preferred them to keep their hands off the entire AOTCR level, as well.

Maybe that's not what you meant, though.

Synless

YES I got it thank god for wal-mart and midnight sales!!! I can't wait to try this baby out I'll see you all later.

Ummm.... I've just been able to max out my Paragon metre by simply hitting the A button to search a monkey in the Mining Tunnels of Elentia (Hercules system). Got the Paragon achievement too. :lol

20112007233.jpg

Took a quick pic with my phone-cam, so sorry about the quality, but if you look closely it reads Paragon +162. And I've been able to keep going back to it to increase it.

GavinGT

Banned
tracky_dacks said:
Ummm.... I've just been able to max out my Paragon metre by simply hitting the A button to search a monkey in the Mining Tunnels of Elentia (Hercules system). Got the Paragon achievement too. :lol

20112007233.jpg

Took a quick pic with my phone-cam, so sorry about the quality, but if you look closely it reads Paragon +162. And I've been able to keep going back to it to increase it.

No way....damn you, monkeys!

I love the game and its graphics, music, gameplay but I feel like it is not optimized to perfection. Maybe its just because I'm coming from the buttery smooth CoD4 but there's texture pop-ins, huge frame-rate drops and other performance annoyances.

Synless

IronicallyTwisted said:
Whats your class/weapon.
Can you look that up??? I think it was Streets/don't give a fuck attitude/Biotic powers and assault.

The weapon I'm using is the one you get in the beginning its a kessler 1.....no wait n/m I see the problem I was using a weapon I wasn't trained in.

Synless said:
Can you look that up??? I think it was Streets/don't give a fuck attitude/Biotic powers and assault.

Sounds like you are a Vanguard, which means you need to train into Pistols and Shotguns before you'll be able to hit anything.

Synless

IronicallyTwisted said:
Sounds like you are a Vanguard, which means you need to train into Pistols and Shotguns before you'll be able to hit anything.
I see you can quick change your weapons by hitting the LB but how do you assign the second weapon, I keep getting it to change out of whatever weapon I want....wth, lol

n/m on that too.

Synless said:
I see you can quick change your weapons by hitting the LB but how do you assign the second weapon, I keep getting it to change out of whatever weapon I want....wth, lol

Mass Effect is a funny game, because it explains almost nothing. You change weapons my selecting a weapon and pressing A. You can assign a weapon with X so whenever you press LB you'll go to that weapon regardless of what you happen to be carrying. As a vanguard stick with pistols till you unlock shotguns.

Desiderus

Oh man I am reading the book and about to finish (super short) it. I really can't wait to kill Saren now. I mean he has reasons and shit but dude is he a black douche(not meme status yet right?).

GavinGT

Banned
Desiderus said:
Oh man I am reading the book and about to finish (super short) it. I really can't wait to kill Saren now. I mean he has reasons and shit but dude is he a black douche(not meme status yet right?).

Don't think so. Wait, he's black?

Digital Limit said:
I really am excited to shoot things with a shotgun in this game. If I want to do that ASAP, should I be a Soldier, or do I have options?

Soldier / Vanguard.

If all you want to do is blow shit up just pick a Soldier.

Digital Limit said:
I want to choose a very polarizing class so my second playthrough is as different as possible.

You might consider going a Vanguard (Biotic, short range combat) then going an Infiltratior (tech, long range combat). WIth those two classes you will have experienced just about everything.

Otherwise you could pick a solider to carve through the game early on then pick a sentinel to toy around with all the biotic/tech abilities in the game.

Sallokin

tracky_dacks said:

20112007233.jpg

So can you kill the monkeys? If so does that give you renegade points? I have the Paragon achievement already, I needs me some renegade points :D

Edwood

watership said:
If this game has really raised the bar, presentation wise. The music alone is the best this year. Better than the Halo 3 soundtrack. Now I feel dirty.

Not a difficult achievement given the fact that most of the Halo 3 Soundtrack is recycled from Halo 2, and the orchestral arranges are pretty average compared to the REAL hollywood composers, not like Mr Wannabe McDonnell.

Want a great soundtrack listening experience? Harry Gregson-Williams/Stephen Barton/Mel Wesson for the COD4 soundtrack. Wow, I hope they release a full soundtrack, I want it badly.

I can't wait to hear Mass Effect music, sounds promising.

Synless

Edwood said:
Not a difficult achievement given the fact that most of the Halo 3 Soundtrack is recycled from Halo 2, and the orchestral arranges are pretty average compared to the REAL hollywood composers, not like Mr Wannabe McDonnell.

Want a great soundtrack listening experience? Harry Gregson-Williams/Stephen Barton/Mel Wesson for the COD4 soundtrack. Wow, I hope they release a full soundtrack, I want it badly.

I can't wait to hear Mass Effect music, sounds promising.
The music is pretty good from what I've heard so far, I'm only a few hours into it though.

Edwood

Amazon.com

Items Pre Ordered
1 of: Mass Effect Limited Edition [Video Game]

Items not yet shipped:
Shipping estimate: November 26, 2007

Fuck you Amazon, and your shitty fugly ass piece of shit fucking Kindle! What the fuck kind of name is that? Like Kindling? As in it's going to burn your company to the ground? I hope so! But most of all, fuck you Bioware and M$ for making Limited Edition Online ass rape only. But even more so, fuck me for bending over for a Limited Collectors Edition.

I guess I'm just headed to Frys, Best Buy, EB Games, whatever tomorrow for the regular edition and canceling my Amazon order.

-Ed

temp

posting on contract only
Edwood said:
Amazon.com

Items Pre Ordered

Items not yet shipped:

Fuck you Amazon, and your shitty fugly ass piece of shit fucking Kindle! What the fuck kind of name is that? Like Kindling? As in it's going to burn your company to the ground? I hope so! But most of all, fuck you Bioware and M$ for making Limited Edition Online ass rape only. But even more so, fuck me for bending over for a Limited Collectors Edition.

I guess I'm just headed to Frys, Best Buy, EB Games, whatever tomorrow for the regular edition and canceling my Amazon order.

-Ed
Sorry Ed. :(

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Edwood said:
Amazon.com

Items Pre Ordered

Items not yet shipped:

-Ed

Oh shit, I'd be on the warpath. No Mass Effect for Thanksgiving Break = Suicide

JayDubya

Banned
Spire said:
Oh shit, I'd be on the warpath. No Mass Effect for Thanksgiving Break = Suicide

I'm not, because I'm leaving town tonight anyway, and no one else in my family has an HDTV anyway. :lol It's okay.

No really, its okay.

:'(

bendak

So yeah, Mass Effect is incredible. I got it yesterday and played it for 6 hours straight.

I haven't even gone to the first story planet yet. After about 5 hours I finally left the Citadel and the first place I went is an unchartered world.

Bioware has one heck of a writing and concept staff. The world they've created is without a doubt the best original video game universe I've experienced. You honestly feel like you're in a movie and controlling the main character. There's a shit ton of backstory there for those who want it, through both the codex AND dialog options. You also get XP for talking to people about backstory.

The graphics are breathtaking. Yes there is texture pop in sometimes (from a low detail to a high detail texture) but it does not detract for me. It's so crazy how the lip movements work well for my custom character. I am playing it on a 90 inch screen with a HD projector and I prefer it with the film grain by a long shot. It looks so cinematic with this, I can't quite put my finger on it. But I think it was an awesome option for them to add. I can see it being more of an annoyance on a SDTV though, but you can turn it off.

The combat is fun and "punchy" if that makes sense. If you do things clean, you take down guys fast. If you don't, you're in serious trouble and before you know it your squad is down. Shooting from behind cover feels good. I guess my main complaint would be how wobbly the sniper rifle is (excessively so) but apparently in true RPG fashion once you put points into it, a lot of that goes away. I seem to switch between the assault rifles and sniper rifles. Mostly. The Mako drives like the scorpion tank in Halo, just at Warthog speeds instead. It feels nice and bouncy/drifty just like a Halo vehicle so if you are a fan of those you'll like it.

I went with a Soldier for the first playthrough and don't think that'll make you invincible - I've died a few times. Then again, I am a bit weaker than I should be for my level because I have put so many points into Renegade. Sorry I'm just living out my jack bauer fantasies. :lol

The game delivers.

Here's a quick snap of my Sheperd:
bendakshep.jpg

JB1981

DevelopmentArrested said:
I love the game and its graphics, music, gameplay but I feel like it is not optimized to perfection. Maybe its just because I'm coming from the buttery smooth CoD4 but there's texture pop-ins, huge frame-rate drops and other performance annoyances.
Unreal Engine 3.

bendak said:
So yeah, Mass Effect is incredible. I got it yesterday and played it for 6 hours straight.

I haven't even gone to the first story planet yet. After about 5 hours I finally left the Citadel and the first place I went is an unchartered world.

Bioware has one heck of a writing and concept staff. The world they've created is without a doubt the best original video game universe I've experienced. You honestly feel like you're in a movie and controlling the main character. There's a shit ton of backstory there for those who want it, through both the codex AND dialog options. You also get XP for talking to people about backstory.

The graphics are breathtaking. Yes there is texture pop in sometimes (from a low detail to a high detail texture) but it does not detract for me. It's so crazy how the lip movements work well for my custom character. I am playing it on a 90 inch screen with a HD projector and I prefer it with the film grain by a long shot. It looks so cinematic with this, I can't quite put my finger on it. But I think it was an awesome option for them to add. I can see it being more of an annoyance on a SDTV though, but you can turn it off.

The combat is fun and "punchy" if that makes sense. If you do things clean, you take down guys fast. If you don't, you're in serious trouble and before you know it your squad is down. Shooting from behind cover feels good. I guess my main complaint would be how wobbly the sniper rifle is (excessively so) but apparently in true RPG fashion once you put points into it, a lot of that goes away. I seem to switch between the assault rifles and sniper rifles. Mostly. The Mako drives like the scorpion tank in Halo, just at Warthog speeds instead. It feels nice and bouncy/drifty just like a Halo vehicle so if you are a fan of those you'll like it.

I went with a Soldier for the first playthrough and don't think that'll make you invincible - I've died a few times. Then again, I am a bit weaker than I should be for my level because I have put so many points into Renegade. Sorry I'm just living out my jack bauer fantasies. :lol

The game delivers.

Here's a quick snap of my Sheperd:
bendakshep.jpg

Thanks for the awesome impressions. By the looks of it, making a Jack Shepard will not be a problem. Between this and Rock Band it'll be two games, one AWESOME Jack!!

:lol

mxz

Oh my god. This game! This game!! Not only is it superbly cinematic and immersive, the story and the characters are incredible.
The tension between Ashley and Liara over Shepard's manliness is turning into a full on drama!

I can't just say enough how good this game feels - it's so smooth and fluid to play. Everything, cinematics, dialogue, combat.

mxz said:
Oh my god. This game! This game!! Not only is it superbly cinematic and immersive, the story and the characters are incredible.
The tension between Ashley and Liara over Shepard's manliness is turning into a full on drama!

I can't just say enough how good this game feels - it's so smooth and fluid to play. Everything, cinematics, dialogue, combat.

When and how do you get Liara in your party?

ACE

Just finished it .. last save clocked in at 11 hours

The good

- Story, graphics and dialogue are awesome, it's definitely is like controlling a movie character

- music is awesomely awesome lol, opening and closing music especially

- you definitely are not going to see/do everything without at least 2 or 3 playthroughs

The bad

- V fucking synch! Framerate can get pretty bad in places as wel but overall it's manageable

- auto save sucks, I would have assumed it would have saved more often than it did. I mean if I play for 1.5 hrs, including going through a couple of cut scenes and then die at one of the major bosses in the game is it too much to think that it would have saved somewhere in there? This happened more than once so my real play time is probably up near 20 hours.

- there was no real indication of " this is your last opportunity to search the galaxy or change your party" before the final boss ... I guess that's what second playthroughs are for :)

- AI team mates getting stuck behind doors and having to go back through levels to open them for them is a pain

- item management system could be better, if i want to buy a weapon is it too much to ask to be able to compare that weapon for everyone who has it equipped? It makes going to the guy with items on the Normandy almost useless

Rowsdower

ACE said:
Just finished it .. last save clocked in at 11 hours

The good

- Story, graphics and dialogue are awesome, it's definitely is like controlling a movie character

- music is awesomely awesome lol, opening and closing music especially

- you definitely are not going to see/do everything without at least 2 or 3 playthroughs

The bad

- V fucking synch! Framerate can get pretty bad in places as wel but overall it's manageable

- auto save sucks, I would have assumed it would have saved more often than it did. I mean if I play for 1.5 hrs, including going through a couple of cut scenes and then die at one of the major bosses in the game is it too much to think that it would have saved somewhere in there? This happened more than once so my real play time is probably up near 20 hours.

- there was no real indication of " this is your last opportunity to search the galaxy or change your party" before the final boss ... I guess that's what second playthroughs are for :)

- AI team mates getting stuck behind doors and having to go back through levels to open them for them is a pain

- item management system could be better, if i want to buy a weapon is it too much to ask to be able to compare that weapon for everyone who has it equipped? It makes going to the guy with items on the Normandy almost useless

Holy crap, you should probably contact speeddemosarchive.com

ACE

Rowsdower said:
Holy crap, you should probably contact speeddemosarchive.com

It's not like I didn't do any sidequests or land on uncharted planets either! I was level 37 when i finished and considering there are achievements for levels 50 and 60 there must be a lot of optional stuff I missed.

I'm about to start up a new game as a badass chick Vanguard on the hardcore difficulty setting so i'll see how that goes :)

FoeHammer

Aeris called last night and gave me the good news. I'll be picking it up at lunch.

Bioware has never let me down and I don't expect them to here. Yes, I loved Jade Empire as well.

Lefty42o

Banned
been playing for an hour so far. likeing it so far. got it last night at midnight at walmart. was to tired to play so went to bed.

Aurora

neojubei said:
Quick question. what comes in the limited edition package?
Fiction Book: Galactic Codex: Essentials, Mass Effect Art Book: A Future Imagined, 2nd DVD with exclusive videos about Mass Effect (Art of Mass Effect, Interactive Storytelling of Mass Effect).

Top Bottom