• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

bendak

I think the scholar achievement may be bugged for me. Can anyone who has gotten this achievement list what races they have in their codex?

I finished the game at 37 hours and did pretty much EVERYTHING... everything I could find anyway. Yet I didn't get this achievement...really weird

BTW the game rules and the ending is the most epic thing I've ever seen in a game. The whole last hour or so... just holy shit.

elithrar

TheWolf said:
oh that's pretty sweet. this means when i make a new character like a solider i can use biotics?

Yes. Well, one of them - you can only pick one new 'ability' that you've unlocked. So if you've unlocked Shotguns, Assault Rifles, Lift, Warp and Throw, you can only pick one of those for you new character.

rocK` said:
Anyone else get DDEs when playing this? might be my xbox, but seems to only happen with ME and not AC.

Yes, I've had it happen twice now. I don't think there is anything wrong with our systems (yet) but this seems to be the xbox's way of saying it ran into an error with the game. I'd be curious to know how many people have encountered this.

besada

Banned
Superblatt said:
Yes, I've had it happen twice now. I don't think there is anything wrong with our systems (yet) but this seems to be the xbox's way of saying it ran into an error with the game. I'd be curious to know how many people have encountered this.

I've gotten a few of them. Also get them with Orange Box, but none of my other games.

God's Beard said:
holy shit, achievement unlockables!

Next gen has almost made me forget that games used to have unlockables!

What exactly unlocks and how does one get it? We got the Pistol Achievement. What should we be looking for?

ShinAmano

Ally Achievement question:

I am on my second playthrough and just wanted to do the main quest...If I have two teammates in all those missions will i unlock the achievements?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SpudBud said:
Yup, I have fucking 3 million credits. Money is so out of whack in this game.

By the time I finished my first playthrough on casual, I had 5 million... My playthrough on hardcore was pretty much a piece of cake at that point, since I could just grab all the good gear.

ShinAmano

Is there a list of sidequests and how to get them out there...?

Also...
Slight spoiler nothing major...anyone care to explain 'the fan'?

Gattsu25

Banned
God's Beard said:
holy shit, achievement unlockables!

Next gen has almost made me forget that games used to have unlockables!
Missed out on Insomniac's games last gen?

edit: for the first ~7 months of the 360, I would call the achievements 'skills'

TheWolf

Banned
ShinAmano said:

I am on my second playthrough and just wanted to do the main quest...If I have two teammates in all those missions will i unlock the achievements?

i think it's supposed to be for the "majority of the game" but i never got one for Garrus even though he was in my party for the entire game except Noveria and a sidequest.

ShinAmano

TheWolf said:
i think it's supposed to be for the "majority of the game" but i never got one for Garrus even though he was in my party for the entire game except Noveria and a sidequest.
I hope it is only the main quests...

Banned
Well I've spent a bit more time with this now (something like 15 hours) and I've got mixed feelings about it. At points, particularly the beginning (once I had learned how the combat worked properly) I loved it, but there are some things that show the game was clearly rushed out of the door, and other things that are just bad game design.

It's very cinematic, and looks excellent, but the framerate really is atrocious in places. Once you disable the motion blur, it's ok when you're inside somewhere - it'll probably be tearing a bit but it won't hamper gameplay. Outside when exploring some of the planets in the Mako though, it must have been going into single digits in places.

Their dialogue system is both great and terrible at the same time. It's a great idea that they summarise something with a couple of words for you to pick, and then elaborate on that idea when it's actually being spoken - it helps keep you interested in the dialogue. However, the time you have to choose your option usually isn't long enough to keep the conversation flowing smoothly, and I actually find myself spending more time deciding what I'm going to say sometimes, as it doesn't always get across the tone in which something is going to be said, and I find myself trying to think what the developers are going to have me say if I pick something. There's been a few times where I've just thought "I didn't want to say that" and I'm now getting into the habit of saving before what I expect to be "big" conversations.

One thing I found annoying is that, at this point, I've been trying to go for paragon points, and maxing out my charm when I level up. My only option to get more of these was to finish off a quest or two, so I headed back to the Citadel only to be greeted with a conversation I couldn't charm my way out of, despite me having it as high as possible at that point. Obviously I've missed some paragon points somewhere along the line, but it just feels like I'm wasting them if I've put in 7/8 points (fairly early on) and have barely had an opportunity to use them.

I'm really struggling with the combat in places as a result of doing this - I can deal out a lot of damage with my sniper rifle, but my pistol is almost useless, despite having one that is quite a bit more powerful than any of the vendors is selling at this time, with good mods, and I'm about halfway into the pistol skill. (I'm an Infiltrator so I'm only skilled in sniping/pistols) Most of the combat so far has been quite close-up, rendering my sniper rifle almost useless, unless I just take risks and try to aim it at point-blank range. (seeing as you have to zoom in to shoot it)

I'm also not sure I've made the right decision with my squad. To get the achievements, I hear you basically need to use that character from when you find them. So I had Wrex and Garrus to begin with, but Garrus would basically die 10 seconds into any firefight, despite me buying the best armour available for him, and maxing out any of his defensive skills. So when I found Liara I then swapped him out with her. She's really useful but now Wrex is just acting as a "tank" to use RPG terms, running up front taking all the damage (even when I tell them to stay back) and dying almost straight away! He's even got 5/6 shield bars, but they seem to get wiped out almost instantly.

What I can only assume is early on in the game, I went to get Liara (the first main quest I was given, if I remember correctly) and I was constantly dying if I took one hit from the stronger enemies. This has also got me into the habit of saving all the time now, as the auto-save is virtually useless.

I suspect this is a result of me putting points into things like charm rather than just pumping all my points into armour / shield/ health boosting abilities, but I would have thought the game was going to be more flexible than just making you have to play a "soldier" class. :(

I've run into some annoying bugs - I've had my character replaced with Wrex:
6l2bdyt.jpg

And I've had on-screen messages stay there no matter what, forcing me to restart the game. When exploring one planet, I got out of the Mako, and it slid me down the side of a cliff (rather than getting out onto the flat land on the other side) which got me stuck. When I finally got un-stuck, it turned out the cliff was too steep for me to climb up and get back into the Mako!

And some things are just poor design. I had a mission where I was supposed to take out a crime lord hiding on some planet (it's not a spoiler, really) and I'm told that he has a good base, with lots of defenses set up as he's expecting an attack on him. So there's me imagining this icy planet that was described with a big base to fight my way through to get to a crime lord. I arrive, and outside there are two sniper towers, and maybe one or two guys just running around with regular guns. Doesn't look like much of a base from the outside, so I head in. It's a dark tunnel / cave with some water running along the ground. (I think to myself, that's cool the heat from these guys staying here must be thawing some of the ice causing it to run in - a nice touch there) I come to a room full of crates with 4/5 enemies, obviously this is just the "entrance" to the base... and then when I wipe them out a crime lord runs out and dies with 2/3 shots from my sniper rifle. No good loot (everything is a "level" below what my squad is using) and there's just two tiny rooms - one with nothing in it and the other with a single weapons locker. No beds, or anywhere these people could have actually survived, just a big cave with some boxes and two tiny rooms off either side. Not quite what I imagined.

To add insult to injury, I go to my next side-quest which is on a desert planet. I won't go into the details of the mission, but I end up going into the exact same room only this time there are different enemies in there. Clear out the room and that's that mission done too. Terrible. Combine that with the fact that the only other side-quests I've had have been running around the Citadel talking to people, I'm starting to see why Bryan at 1up decided to skip them all, and got the game done pretty quickly. It seems they were also right about picking skills that aren't combat focused - it will maybe have a slight impact on the story, but it's not worth it for how much more difficult it makes the combat. It's not fun doing most encounters 2/3 times just to survive them.

At this point, despite putting in about 15 hours, I'm thinking of starting over, as it's just becoming very repetitive with the combat just becoming tedious.

I've been thinking about picking up the guide too - not for my first play through, but for subsequent ones (assuming I stick with it) but I noticed that there is a "Collector's Edition" strategy guide available - does anyone know what the difference is that makes it cost twice as much as the regular one? Is it just that it's a hardback book, or is there something extra included with it?

Gattsu25

Banned
andrewfee said:
I'm also not sure I've made the right decision with my squad. To get the achievements, I hear you basically need to use that character from when you find them. So I had Wrex and Garrus to begin with, but Garrus would basically die 10 seconds into any firefight, despite me buying the best armour available for him, and maxing out any of his defensive skills.
In my save he does the same thing as well...dropping like a fly in almost every combat situation I end up in...he just (against orders) charges into their midst and gets blown away. I think it's just his personality.
TheWolf said:
once i started adding shield mods to my armor, dying was never an issue...
Health Regen mods, for me.

That and I take my time with the fights...despite using a shotgun, I don't rush into the battle unless I know I'll run over every foe with ease.

andrewfee said:
I'm really struggling with the combat in places as a result of doing this - I can deal out a lot of damage with my sniper rifle, but my pistol is almost useless, despite having one that is quite a bit more powerful than any of the vendors is selling at this time, with good mods, and I'm about halfway into the pistol skill. (I'm an Infiltrator so I'm only skilled in sniping/pistols) Most of the combat so far has been quite close-up, rendering my sniper rifle almost useless, unless I just take risks and try to aim it at point-blank range. (seeing as you have to zoom in to shoot it)

I'm playing the Solider class myself (level 22 right now) and have had some trouble getting through the early portions of the game. However, once I hit 20 and was able to upgrade my gear, the game really took off. The difficulty has been just perfect so far. It doesn't seem that many people are having much luck combat wise with other classes -- like Infiltrator. Maybe this is that we don't know the correct way to level up your char yet, but it seems kinda unbalanced if that's the case.

Aren't the best rpgs flexible enough to allow most classes to be used in multiple different upgrade patterns? I thought that was the beauty of an RPG. I initially almost chose playing as an Adept, but I'm sure as hell happy I didn't now.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
joelseph said:
IIRC- In regard to
spectre
weapons:
They become available to purchase from the dealer in your ship and in C-Sec at the Citadel after you receive the "I'm Rich" achievement.

Im pretty sure that's how it worked for me too.

Jirotrom

ShinAmano said:
No...goddammit.
h'm so I guess the IGN guys were wrong, they stated you could change your class mid game:(, looks like I'll be restarting, I'm an adept and I can't do jack with that class.

ShinAmano

Jirotrom said:
h'm so I guess the IGN guys were wrong, they stated you could change your class mid game:(, looks like I'll be restarting, I'm an adept and I can't do jack with that class.
Hmmm possibly I am wrong...I went on my own experience...anyone else care to chime in?

ShinAmano said:
Hmmm possibly I am wrong...I went on my own experience...anyone else care to chime in?

You know what would be cool? A recommended skill path for all classes except soldier. No one seems to have a fucking clue how to use these other classes.

Woo-Fu

Banned
ShinAmano said:

No. You have to do most of the game. I've done three speed runs after my initial game where I did almost everything. Only got an ally achievement for the first one. Kind of sucks.

Gattsu25 said:
In my save he does the same thing as well...dropping like a fly in almost every combat situation I end up in...he just (against orders) charges into their midst and gets blown away. I think it's just his personality.Health Regen mods, for me.

He only has pistol and sniper rifle available. If he is rushing in then he must have pistol selected. Make him switch to sniper and tell him to hold back, he will.

Naeblish said:
Are the spectre weapons the best in the game?

I've got a lvl 59 character working through hardcore, haven't found anything better than Spectre Master Gear X weapons.

Jirotrom said:

You do change class, but only to a specialized version of your base class. For instance, my infiltrator became a commando.

Gattsu25

Banned
Jirotrom said:
You can...but it's more like a class specialization than a whole class change. Only the skill with your class name changes.

faux edit: beaten

Woo-Fu said:
he must have pistol selected. Make him switch to sniper and tell him to hold back, he will.
He's my resident sniper

real edit: also, what determines if you can or cannot zoom in with your gun (thinking shotguns, here)? I think you can't zoom in / aim when your health is in the "screen goes red" state. Is there something else?

real edit #2:
In the optional quest where you search a star cluster for geth outposts, I had a weird bug after you clear the last outpost...a cinematic event occurs where you learn of a last larger outpost that is likely their headquarters for the region...after this movie, I was suspended nearly 1/4 mile above the surface of the planet and could not see my character or party. My aiming reticle showed me that I had my shotgun out but I couldn't move...yet I could shoot. I couldn't return to my Mako (I was in the mako when I killed the last geth on that planet) I *could* shoot, however. Anyway...I paused the game, went into the map, and was able to return to the Normandy from there

RandomXTX

The game is ok, but very frustrating in that none of the classes are satisfying and forgetting to save sucks balls.

I will eventually finish it because it has some things I want to see closure on, mainly subjects opened by reading the book.

Kittonwy

Banned
Does the enemy AI get better? So far I've encountered two types of enemies, one that stand there shooting at you, and one that basically moves towards you, soaking up damage along the way.

Gattsu25

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Does the enemy AI get better? So far I've encountered two types of enemies, one that stand there shooting at you, and one that basically moves towards you, soaking up damage along the way.
Not that I can tell. Some move from seemingly random cover spots (roll of a die whether they advance on you or run from you, it seems) but they always provide some sort of challenge.

Banned
TheWolf said:
once i started adding shield mods to my armor, dying was never an issue...
I've been doing that, and have four shield bars with every character (well, Liara has 5/6, whatever the max is) and I'm still going down to about 1/4 health from a single hit at this stage. Up until recently I'd just die outright from virtually everything.

Superblatt said:
Aren't the best rpgs flexible enough to allow most classes to be used in multiple different upgrade patterns? I thought that was the beauty of an RPG. I initially almost chose playing as an Adept, but I'm sure as hell happy I didn't now.
That's pretty much my main problem with it - it seems like the game is only made to be playing as a soldier type class, rather than anything else, and really punishes you if you're putting points into non-combat skills. (like charm)

Everything was fine at the start, but once I left the Citadel I was getting my ass kicked in every encounter.

Hunter D

andrewfee said:
I've been doing that, and have four shield bars with every character (well, Liara has 5/6, whatever the max is) and I'm still going down to about 1/4 health from a single hit at this stage. Up until recently I'd just die outright from virtually everything.

That's pretty much my main problem with it - it seems like the game is only made to be playing as a soldier type class, rather than anything else, and really punishes you if you're putting points into non-combat skills. (like charm)

Everything was fine at the start, but once I left the Citadel I was getting my ass kicked in every encounter.
I played a soldier with charm maxed and my weapon skills barely over half full and had no problems. How you set up your team determines what you can do. You won't be sniping if you don't have a teammate that is good with the ar for example.

jet1911

I'm playing as an Adept and I have maxed out Pistol, Throw and Intimidate. No problems at all during most of the encounters. If you're weak in combat bring Ash or Kaidan with you.

Request.

I'm making a new cover insert for the game, but neither Bioware's fansite kit nor the Xbox.com press kit contain high-res artwork or renders of Kaidan Alenko or Liara T'sori. Can anyone help me out?

Woo-Fu

Banned
andrewfee said:

Wasn't my experience at all. If you're playing on normal you can always go do some exploration and gain a few levels so you're that much stronger in the story missions.

My first time through the game I pretty much exclusively used the pistol, weakest weapon in the game.

The game is easier playing as a soldier because your team does all the thinking for you while all you do is run&gun. You can do it the other way around, though. Team up with Wrex and Williams and while you're overloading shields, dampening skills and sabotaging enemy weapons they'll be shooting them full of holes.

At higher difficulty levels weapon skills start to fall behind. Shoot a regular mob on insanity with a lvl 10 pistol and notice that his health doesn't noticeably decrease, lol. My infiltrator has had to go almost exclusively sniper rifle and shield overload to kill things while also constantly telling the rest of the team to focus on my target.

andrewfee said:

What difficulty are you on? Playing on normal I've really had no problems with my Infiltrator at all. In fact I've gotten through a bunch of what seem to be the tougher encounters for other people
Benizia
for example with few problems. Party composition mostly consists of Liara and Wrex, though I'll swap out Liara for Tali if it's more tech heavy mission.

Dina

Superblatt said:
I'm playing the Solider class myself (level 22 right now) and have had some trouble getting through the early portions of the game. However, once I hit 20 and was able to upgrade my gear, the game really took off. The difficulty has been just perfect so far. It doesn't seem that many people are having much luck combat wise with other classes -- like Infiltrator. Maybe this is that we don't know the correct way to level up your char yet, but it seems kinda unbalanced if that's the case.

Infiltrator picks up after lvl 24-26. If there is no hazard on a planet, I prefer sniping outside turrets to risking the heavy armor but weak hitting Mako. Pistol isn't too bad once you got that maxed out, actually. But the game definately requires some planning. I maxed out my sniper, pistol, infiltrator and charm skills asap while Wrex has armor, fitness, assault rifles and lift maxed out. I took Garrus for the decryption/electronics department, as well as assault rifles and first aid. At this point I can just breeze through everything without it being a problem. I have done a shitload of sidemissions though. I got every sidemission done up till now (apart from the collection quests)(Noveria and Liana done) and am gonna start with the Feria planet soon.

As for my second playthrough, I'm getting a Vanguard with Kaidan and that engineering bitch.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
and forgetting to save sucks balls
Yes.

I literally lost a good 30 minutes of gameplay yesterday simply because I forgot to save. I can usually handle everything just fine, but if you make a mistake in the wrong place, you'll die very fast. I shut off the game for the night as a result. :\

Still enjoying the game, though. Even when things aren't well designed (side missions), I still find the atmosphere to be rather enjoyable. Certain bits that seem simple suddenly become a joy as a result of atmophere.

It certainly isn't as polished as I would have hoped, but again, I can't stress how much more solid it feels next to KOTOR and Jade Empire.

Top Bottom