• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Simo

RSG_MP3_158_gallery_post.jpg

RSG_MP3_163_gallery_post.jpg

RSG_MP3_165_gallery_post.jpg

Wow. My own personal hype has approached dangerous levels.

Better keep that CE then ;)

I originally had off next Tues, Wed and Thurs, but seeing as how that R* online event is happening late Friday afternoon it looks like I'm taking that off too. Never done this much time off for a game release before..HYPE

2c549a132880ee4b8af550c70917880ae01c38a4_128.png

Added the lines to the orange part and also reduced the frame. If you like the lines across the orange part acting as a gradient, I can update the current logo with it. If you like the new frame but not the gradient, i can update it aswell.

Speaking of Hollywood, Houser has never seen the 2008 20th Century Fox film starring Mark Wahlberg as Max Payne. Rockstar was not even involved in that film. Houser said there's a reason why gamers have not seen a Grand Theft Auto, Manhunt or any Rockstar game on the silver screen.
"We looked at it a couple times with a couple of different properties but never really got close because we never really figured out what we could say in a movie that we weren't already saying in the game," said Houser, who noted that a typical game's linear story can span the equivalent of five feature films. "Beyond the interactivity, one of the key things in the game is this digital tourism putting you in a place you've never been to, or in the case of Max Payne, putting you in the psyche of that character and letting you experience it as him. When that's all gone, we're not quite sure what's left."

Nicely put

Speaking of Hollywood, Houser has never seen the 2008 20th Century Fox film starring Mark Wahlberg as Max Payne. Rockstar was not even involved in that film. Houser said there's a reason why gamers have not seen a Grand Theft Auto, Manhunt or any Rockstar game on the silver screen.
"We looked at it a couple times with a couple of different properties but never really got close because we never really figured out what we could say in a movie that we weren't already saying in the game," said Houser, who noted that a typical game's linear story can span the equivalent of five feature films. "Beyond the interactivity, one of the key things in the game is this digital tourism putting you in a place you've never been to, or in the case of Max Payne, putting you in the psyche of that character and letting you experience it as him. When that's all gone, we're not quite sure what's left."

Nicely put

Max Payne 3 is 10 hours confirmed?

"One of the big things we really pushed in Max Payne 3 is for gamers to feel like they're living through a Hollywood action movie"

Not easing my concerns, Rockstar.

Doesn't help I'm playing Alan Wake for the first time.

And? I don't understand how this factors into you being weary/doubtful about how great this game will be.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

And Lake's distinct writing and narrative style along with Remedy's incredible game world craftsmanship is prevalent throughout, just like it was with Max Payne.

Or, to put it simply, I don't have faith Rockstar can touch Lake and Remedy's vision of the Max Payne universe, because they've done nothing to convince me otherwise. Including every trailer released so far for Max Payne 3.

Sethos

Banned
People keep talking about story, Max's backstory to all of this, the previous games etc.

Am I the only one who played them all, enjoyed them but never truly gave a shit about Max or the story? I just wanted to live my Matrix dream back then and now I just want to blast fools and enjoy it thanks to Euphoria. Could also be because I thought the story and the overall story telling in both MP1 and MP2 was piss poor and uninteresting.

Guess I suck like that :(

IMO, Rockstars game world craftsmanship is easily on par with, if not better than Remedys. The detail of Liberty City, Redemptions wilderness and even Bulworth Academy surpass the level of detail in MP 1 & 2 and even Wake in some respects. I don't know what more convincing people need. He isn't bald the entire game, he isn't shooting thugs on a beach the entire game, McCaffery is actually mo-capped the entire game except for some stuntwork, the RAGE engine is upgraded etc etc etc etc....

I guess all we need is Poets of the Fall and him to be wearing his trenchcoat the entire time with a full head of hair and comic book panel still scenes with a shitton of metaphors? =P

Blutonium

"One of the big things we really pushed in Max Payne 3 is for gamers to feel like they're living through a Hollywood action movie"

"It's a combination of shooting and movement designed to invoke the feel of Hong Kong action movies," says Rob Nelson, summing up the game's ethos perfectly.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-physics-make-it-a-modern-wonder-7729084.html

Will this ease your thoughts?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I guess all we need is Poets of the Fall and him to be wearing his trenchcoat the entire time and comic book panel still scenes with a shitton of metaphors? =P

Yes, that's exactly what I want *groan*.

Not really. I know it's going to play well, which is why I'm buying it. I'm just not confident Rockstar will be about to touch Remedy and Lake's vision of Max Payne.

They won't, because it's not their game really.

Not anymore.

If you want it to be the exact same as the previous to you better check your expectation now because it won't be.

This is Max Payne as done by Rockstar, Remedy helped guide them a bit, but it will very much be a Rockstar game.

And if you aren't expecting that, you will be disappointed.

Yes, that's exactly what I want *groan*.

Not really. I know it's going to play well, which is why I'm buying it. I'm just not confident Rockstar will be about to touch Remedy and Lake's vision of Max Payne.

You just need to LET GO man and trust in Houser. Someone needs to post that recent interview with him where he discusses Max's character.

EatChildren

They won't, because it's not their game really.

Not anymore.

If you want it to be the exact same as the previous to you better check your expectation now because it won't be.

This is Max Payne as done by Rockstar, Remedy helped guide them a bit, but it will very much be a Rockstar game.

And if you aren't expecting that, you will be disappointed.

Fair words. I'll probably be disappointed then. Still looking forward to shooting bad dudes in the face with guns, so there's the silver lining.

You just need to LET GO man and trust in Houser. Someone needs to post that recent interview with him where he discusses Max's character.

I trust Houser to write a story. Maybe a good one. I don't trust Houser will write one I want to play.

MMaRsu

Fair words. I'll probably be disappointed then. Still looking forward to shooting bad dudes in the face with guns, so there's the silver lining.

I trust Houser to write a story. Maybe a good one. I don't trust Houser will write one I want to play.

Yeah even though I'll be there day one, this is NOT going to be as good as MP1 or two. The action will probably be a lot better, but the story, writing and dreamy levels wont. I'm pretty sure of that already so yeah I'm pretty sure we are on the same level here.

Trust in Houser.. haha the only good story he did was Vice City. Either way, the writing in the trailers so far hasn't been as good as Sam Lake's writing. Also, I think we can ALL agree that the comic book pages style cutscenes were much much better presentation wise. Those floating words look stupid, but the transition from cutscenes to gameplay is cool.

Doesn't help I'm playing Alan Wake for the first time.
Max Payne 1 + 2 were both really action movie esque though. That's part of what made them good. Obviously there is more to it than that, but Rockstar excel at world building and if we can't get Sam again Dan is my first choice. Gta4s story is good on paper but the player choice kills it, but Max 3 won't have that problem.

woober

I don't think MP1 and 2 are that hard to surpass frankly.

Ehhh, MP2 will be tough to top. And I played that game for the first time in February. Will we have all those dream-like, schizophrenic moments? Will Max lapse into an alternate reality like he did in the police office and the hospital seen here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nxx8oZgX5ac#t=1072s

What about Mona Sax's fun house? That shit knocked my socks off.

That and all the small details present in this video I rarely see in games anymore. So many small details that you can easily miss, and yet they're so well written and scripted. It's moments like these that I'll be looking for in Max Payne 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4OdA-0ao9U&feature=related

taoofjord

And Lake's distinct writing and narrative style along with Remedy's incredible game world craftsmanship is prevalent throughout, just like it was with Max Payne.

Or, to put it simply, I don't have faith Rockstar can touch Lake and Remedy's vision of the Max Payne universe, because they've done nothing to convince me otherwise. Including every trailer released so far for Max Payne 3.

Personally I think Sam Lake is a poor writer. But one with fun and unique influences (in the game industry). He's enjoyable enough when he's doing campy genre stuff, and I love his silly little touches, but his seams show often and usually make me wince.

On a more broad level I don't see why people love traditional stories in video game stories so much. Almost all of them are poor with the exception of a rare few. And putting aside Grim Fandango, System Shock 2, Thief, Portal, Half-Life, and Planescape: Torment, the most moving and profound moments found in the medium are almost exclusively ones that emerge from the gameplay itself, or when dialogue has very little to do with it.

Examples being Shadow of The Colossus, Ico, Journey, Flower, Day Z, GTA 4's Multiplayer, Dwarf Fortress, Civilization, X-Com, Left 4 Dead...

Anyway, I apologize for getting off-topic, but my main point is that Rockstar is more than capable at making an engaging Max Payne story. The company has better writers with more integrity than almost anyone else in the business.

MMaRsu

Ehhh, MP2 will be tough to top. And I played that game for the first time in February. Will we have all those dream-like, schizophrenic moments? Will Max lapse into an alternate reality like he did in the police office and the hospital seen here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nxx8oZgX5ac#t=1072s

What about Mona Sax's fun house? That shit knocked my socks off.

That and all the small details present in this video I rarely see in games anymore. So many small details that you can easily miss, and yet they're so well written and scripted. It's moments like these that I'll be looking for in Max Payne 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4OdA-0ao9U&feature=related

max's lines in those vids are so damn good. Also I really hope the enviroment is very interactive ( you can turn faucets on and off, tv's too etc ). If it's not then I'll be disappointed in that too.

And I'm pretty sure there's not gonna be any dream sequences but a man can hope.

dreamfall

Yeah even though I'll be there day one, this is NOT going to be as good as MP1 or two. The action will probably be a lot better, but the story, writing and dreamy levels wont. I'm pretty sure of that already so yeah I'm pretty sure we are on the same level here.

Trust in Houser.. haha the only good story he did was Vice City. Either way, the writing in the trailers so far hasn't been as good as Sam Lake's writing. Also, I think we can ALL agree that the comic book pages style cutscenes were much much better presentation wise. Those floating words look stupid, but the transition from cutscenes to gameplay is cool.

Really!?! I love Lake. I love Houser. Their writing styles are both amazing. Ballad of Gay Tony/ Lost and the Damned were both incredible story wise. I may be a Rockstar fangirl, but I loved playing through these both for the story and gameplay!

woober

max's lines in those vids are so damn good. Also I really hope the enviroment is very interactive ( you can turn faucets on and off, tv's too etc ). If it's not then I'll be disappointed in that too.

And I'm pretty sure there's not gonna be any dream sequences but a man can hope.

The dream sequences really defined Max Payne for me. Haven't seen a game delve into a person's psychology like Max Payne did.

Personally I think Sam Lake is a poor writer. But one with fun and unique influences (in the game industry). He's enjoyable enough when he's doing campy genre stuff, and I love his silly little touches, but his seams show often and usually make me wince.

It's cheesy at times, but his use of metaphors is phenomenal considering English isn't his first language. Hell, I wish I could write like that.

Fjordson

Houser is a great writer. The number of great games under his belt is impressive. And after seeing that live stream I have zero doubts.

But any of you obsessed with Sam Lake's style may want to reinstall the first two games instead on the 15th/29th. Maybe check out Diablo III. You will be disappointed, the style here simply isn't the same.

EatChildren

Max Payne 1 + 2 were both really action movie esque though. That's part of what made them good.

In action and play, sure, but in the experience conveyed to the player they were not. The often solitary treks through levels coupled with Max's inner monologue, with the occasional comic book slice thrown in, developed a narrative closer related to a literature experience verses a cinematic, 'Hollywood' one. It might have played like a Hollywood action movie, but neither Max Payne game told a story or experience like one.

I guess that's the root of my concerns. I do actually think Houser will write an okay a script at worst, and I wouldn't be surprised if Max Payne 3 turned out to be the better playing of all three games thanks to some great modern technology and design, but I'm not confident Rockstar will make a Max Payne game in line with Remedy's work, and of a similar quality of story telling.

Lake's work is hilariously cheesy, but that's actually why I love it :lol. It goes a long way towards crafting Remedy's game worlds, moods, atmosphere, characters, and so on. It's a charm I really dig.

As for traditional story telling, everything about Max Payne 3 tells me it is about as traditional as it gets. There's nothing unique or interesting about the hook, nor the story telling I've seen so far. It's all pretty standard stuff, even if it turns out to be good standard stuff.

To be fair though, I've kept myself on a bit of a blackout. I figure if I'm going to be disappointed by Houser's work, I at least want it to be fresh :p.

GeoramA

The launch trailer, holy shit.

I seriously can't wait to kill some gang members in bullet time. Tuesday is going to be a great day.

Yeah, I forsee a thread divided as far as reception. Should be interesting.

Nahhh, people will be having too much fun shooting fools in the face playing around with this great physics system. The MP1/MP2 superfan backlash won't come for a few weeks.

And even then, this game will probably sell 3 to 4 times what either of the first did. There might be a niche of complaining, but it won't be Mass Effect 3 bad.

taoofjord

In action and play, sure, but in the experience conveyed to the player they were not. The often solitary treks through levels coupled with Max's inner monologue, with the occasional comic book slice thrown in, developed a narrative closer related to a literature experience verses a cinematic, 'Hollywood' one. It might have played like a Hollywood action movie, but neither Max Payne game told a story or experience like one.

I guess that's the root of my concerns. I do actually think Houser will write an okay a script at worst, and I wouldn't be surprised if Max Payne 3 turned out to be the better playing of all three games thanks to some great modern technology and design, but I'm not confident Rockstar will make a Max Payne game in line with Remedy's work, and of a similar quality of story telling.

Lake's work is hilariously cheesy, but that's actually why I love it :lol. It goes a long way towards crafting Remedy's game worlds, moods, atmosphere, characters, and so on. It's a charm I really dig.

As for traditional story telling, everything about Max Payne 3 tells me it is about as traditional as it gets. There's nothing unique or interesting about the hook, nor the story telling I've seen so far. It's all pretty standard stuff, even if it turns out to be good standard stuff.

To be fair though, I've kept myself on a bit of a blackout. I figure if I'm going to be disappointed by Houser's work, I at least want it to be fresh :p.

You're right, I can't argue with that! Sam Lake's stuff is incredibly charming. Outside of Bully, Rockstar's games aren't all that charming. They're usually just straight up well-done american genre entertainment that (mostly) hits all the right notes (and the obscure ones).

2c549a132880ee4b8af550c70917880ae01c38a4_128.png

Added the lines to the orange part and also reduced the frame. If you like the lines across the orange part acting as a gradient, I can update the current logo with it. If you like the new frame but not the gradient, i can update it aswell.

I am liking that alot better. You should think of it as being an actually patch someone would wear on a vest or sleeve. I will see if I can come up with something if I have time tonight.

Fjordson

Nahhh, people will be having too much fun shooting fools in the face playing around with this great physics system. The MP1/MP2 superfan backlash won't come for a few weeks.

And even then, this game will probably sell 3 to 4 times what either of the first did. There might be a niche of complaining, but it won't be Mass Effect 3 bad.

Yeah, I agree. I think it'll do really well in the grand scheme of things. What I've seen from these livestreams has made me confident of that. But I'm also confident that some dedicated Remedy fans will be upset. There is a different style here, no two ways about it. Not in everything, there is a lot that harkens back to the old games (which I won't spoil here) but certainly in some aspects.

MMaRsu

Really!?! I love Lake. I love Houser. Their writing styles are both amazing. Ballad of Gay Tony/ Lost and the Damned were both incredible story wise. I may be a Rockstar fangirl, but I loved playing through these both for the story and gameplay!

Yeah Im sorry youre right TLAD and TBOGT were great :).

AHA-Lambda

People keep talking about story, Max's backstory to all of this, the previous games etc.

Am I the only one who played them all, enjoyed them but never truly gave a shit about Max or the story? I just wanted to live my Matrix dream back then and now I just want to blast fools and enjoy it thanks to Euphoria. Could also be because I thought the story and the overall story telling in both MP1 and MP2 was piss poor and uninteresting.

Guess I suck like that :(

Nope, I felt similar. I enjoyed max payne's story yes, but I felt that aspect of it was overhyped. I enjoyed them primarily as action games and I expect the same from this, with trademark R* grit :)

Ps: I was very unimpressed with Alan wake, for the record.

Top Bottom