• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Deadbeat

Banned
Is there a list of all the customization in multiplayer? Like all the weapons, perks, and so forth. Id figure someone compiled a list after going through the 360 version.

TxdoHawk

Haven't even touched multiplayer yet, just about to. I've been playing since six, four and a half hours just flew by in the blink of an eye.

Everything just flows really well. Bullet time is helpful but not a win button. Shoot dodging can be incredibly useful but you have to be very, very mindful of where you will land.

The only mild complaint I have are the (mild collectibles spoiler)
Golden gun pieces scattered through the levels, they are often in dumb little nooks and crannies, which encourages you to poke around...well, just about everywhere.
But that is really, really nitpicky.

All in all, I don't think many people will be disappointed with this one, based on what I have played so far. Kind of blows my mind that I am only now about to fire up the MP, and that looks as good if not better.

Haven't even touched multiplayer yet, just about to. I've been playing since six, four and a half hours just flew by in the blink of an eye.

Everything just flows really well. Bullet time is helpful but not a win button. Shoot dodging can be incredibly useful but you have to be very, very mindful of where you will land.

The only mild complaint I have are the (mild collectibles spoiler)
Golden gun pieces scattered through the levels, they are often in dumb little nooks and crannies, which encourages you to poke around...well, just about everywhere.
But that is really, really nitpicky.

All in all, I don't think many people will be disappointed with this one, based on what I have played so far. Kind of blows my mind that I am only now about to fire up the MP, and that looks as good if not better.

Add me on Xbox live--McCetra. Lets play some games together.

Fjordson

Thanks for the impressions man. Very envious of all these new copies.

I wonder if CE copies are out in the wild. Would love to hear some songs from the soundtrack.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So, has GAF done any Rockstar Crew yet? I want in!

DrBo42

^ Yeah, called an hour ago. I was hopeful because their phone was constantly busy which usually means they're making the pre-order calls. :(

So, has GAF done any Rockstar Crew yet? I want in!

Go to the Social Club website, sign in (or sign up, if you haven't already!) and go to the Crews section. Then search for 'NeoGANG'. Request to join and Simo should accept you. Or you can tell us your Social Club name, and we can invite you.

Simo

Thanks for the impressions man. Very envious of all these new copies.

I wonder if CE copies are out in the wild. Would love to hear some songs from the soundtrack.

Soundtrack doesn't release until May 23rd so the CE comes with a voucher to redeem on that date.

Really curious about the CE though and why it's "cheap" and flimsy.

EDIT: Do you guys have any preference on what the emblem for the crew should be? Right it's this...
emblem_128.png

...but there's some other great ones on the crew page too like the following:
562c68f13bce0c60ddb9541beea9de6e4d9695e6_128.png
8bf183f62d860bc6cdcd4516c2d8faa7594f9cde_128.png
f797fe3fe4bbb27b3e77359b239566524ec77c8a_128.png
1e2bc20e4538cb375736b05ba6cc6b1927e1e4ad_128.png

I don't want to change them without your guys' approval.

Man, it is going to take a long time to hit rank 50 in multiplayer. Progression is really slow.

That's a good thing in my opinion, especially if the game is as good as it looks. Plus, the crew system should give players incentive to keep playing I think. Pretty sure there's also a prestige-esque system called Legend. There's a crew challenge dealing with members hitting 'Legend' status so I'm thinking that's their post normal level system. Curious to see what that entails...

Soundtrack doesn't release until May 23rd so the CE comes with a voucher to redeem on that date.

EDIT: Do you guys have any preference on what the emblem for the crew should be? Right it's this...
emblem_128.png

Keep it as
emblem_128.png
for sure.

emblem_128.png

Cool! The one with the white wings is mine, I tried putting some text on it: Believe, or Neogaf, but cant do it, you can do it if,you want.

How is it so far though? Is multi solid and how do the controls and shooting feel?

Shooting is really smooth.

There are two modes for multi, soft lock and free aim. Right now everyone seems to be playing soft lock. Probably will stay that way I assume for release.

All of the maps are really good. There has only been one map I don't really like, but the rest are great. I'm going to give a good detailed impression of multi when I'm done playing, which I have no idea when that will be, haha.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Go to the Social Club website, sign in (or sign up, if you haven't already!) and go to the Crews section. Then search for 'NeoGANG'. Request to join and Simo should accept you. Or you can tell us your Social Club name, and we can invite you.

Awesome! Just requested to be in! Same username but with an additional 'a' (and I haven't been able to change it, damn you R* support!). Thanks!

There are two modes for multi, soft lock and free aim. Right now everyone seems to be playing soft lock. Probably will stay that way I assume for release.

If I have one complaint, it's that Rockstar even added soft-lock to multiplayer, period. They really need to get away from lock-on aiming in any of their titles' multiplayer component, and it's a shame that they'd split the community with 2 completely separate ways to play the game complete with separate modes WITHIN those partitions. Not only will there always be a split with the aiming modes, but the DLC will segment everyone more and more the deeper they get into the Season Pass. Soft-lock is just....ugh. Turns the game into the complete antithesis of what Max Payne gameplay should be from the streams I've seen.

If I have one complaint, it's that Rockstar even added soft-lock to multiplayer, period. They really need to get away from lock-on aiming in any of their titles' multiplayer component, and it's a shame that they'd split the community with 2 completely separate ways to play the game complete with separate modes WITHIN those partitions. Not only will there always be a split with the aiming modes, but the DLC will segment everyone more and more the deeper they get into the Season Pass. Soft-lock is just....ugh. Turns the game into the complete antithesis of what Max Payne gameplay should be from the streams I've seen.

Yeah, I hate it when developers actually give you options playing...

Just saying, the game isn't even out yet. You are assuming a lot.

Shooting is really smooth.

All of the maps are really good. There has only been one map I don't really like, but the rest are great. I'm going to give a good detailed impression of multi when I'm done playing, which I have no idea when that will be, haha.

I'm sort of curious as to how soft lock works exactly. Is it like how aim assist works in most FPS games? As in, when your reticule nears an enemy, it slows down and 'magnetizes' to the enemy player. Or is it like an actual 'lock on' in that the reticule 'pops on' to the enemy?

Not quite sure how it works exactly. If it's more like aim assist, rather than a true aim lock system, then I think I'd be okay with playing that.

Gacha-pin

Does the soft lock actually lock the target you are aiming? How is it different from the typical aim assist in the other console shooters?

Yeah, I hate it when developers actually give you options playing...

Just saying, the game isn't even out yet. You are assuming a lot.

I'm sorry, I'm all for options, but lock-on has no place in online multiplayer, especially since they've worked so hard to get shooting right this time. I just hope soft-lock players don't outnumber free aim ones in the same way normal modes outnumber "hardcore" gametypes in other shooters.

And if you've seen one lock-on match, you've seen them all. That's the issue, the game becomes totally mid to long-range with no real strategy, or easy as hell when you manage to get close. I'd hate for that to become the "default" Max Payne multiplayer experience to where the free aim lobbies are hard to fill in a year or two. I don't mean to come off overly negative, but lock-on in multiplayer (and no, it's not just reticle magnetism) grinds my gears.

madmackem

Soft lock nooooooooooooooooooooo, if this is anything like gta4 then this wont be lasting very long for me as a mp game. Fuck lock on.

Fjordson

I'm sort of curious as to how soft lock works exactly. Is it like how aim assist works in most FPS games? As in, when your reticule nears an enemy, it slows down and 'magnetizes' to the enemy player. Or is it like an actual 'lock on' in that the reticule 'pops on' to the enemy?

Not quite sure how it works exactly. If it's more like aim assist, rather than a true aim lock system, then I think I'd be okay with playing that.
I think it's sort of inbetween. A bit more guided than something like Call of Duty's aim assist, but not as stict as a full lock-on system.

That's just from watching people play and reading impressions. I could be wrong.

I caught a full match using free aim yesterday and it looked great. Soft lock looked a little too strong for my tastes, but these are just assumptions based on what I saw.

I'm sorry, I'm all for options, but lock-on has no place in online multiplayer, especially since they've worked so hard to get shooting right this time. I just hope soft-lock players don't outnumber free aim ones in the same way normal modes outnumber "hardcore" gametypes in other shooters.

And if you've seen one lock-on match, you've seen them all. That's the issue, the game becomes totally mid to long-range with no real strategy, or easy as hell when you manage to get close. I'd hate for that to become the "default" Max Payne multiplayer experience to where the free aim lobbies are hard to fill in a year or two. I don't mean to come off overly negative, but lock-on in multiplayer (and no, it's not just reticle magnetism) grinds my gears.

Soft lock will definitely be for those casual people you just want to play some multiplayer and have some fun. But for those people who are looking to be more serious with the multiplayer like yourself, will not even thing twice about having soft-lock on. And judging from previous rockstar games, ranked and competitive modes probably won't even have soft lock as an option.

In short... I wouldn't worry dude.

madmackem

Soft lock will definitely be for those casual people you just want to play some multiplayer and have some fun. But for those people who are looking to be more serious with the multiplayer like yourself, will not even thing twice about having soft-lock on. And judging from previous rockstar games, ranked and competitive modes probably won't even have soft lock as an option.

Thats the problem though, it will be on by default no doubt so a very large chunk of the player base wont turn it off or even know there is another way to play. Why do rockstar think so little about the skill of there player base that they keep doing this lock on crap its killed there last two games mp for me within a few weeks.

It's not even about "serious multiplayer competition" or anything, I'm past that stage of online gameplay. I just don't want the community to be so split in a year that you have to jump on during "peak hours" to get a full free aim room because a ton of players are in soft-lock spawn camping or cheesing the casuals. It will also drive a lot of those casuals back to Call of Duty when the good players learn to exploit soft-lock + free aim skills and demolish those people.

This is not an issue specific to Max Payne 3, I've felt that Rockstar has had too many lists, and gameplay options since GTAIV. The multiplayer portion of the games have had no identity. Everyone is too split up.

Thats the problem though, it will be on by default no doubt so a very large chunk of the player base wont turn it off or even know there is another way to play. Why do rockstar think so little about the skill of there player base that they keep doing this lock on crap its killed there last two games mp for me within a few weeks.

Well, it's not something you "turn off," it's a completely separate set of gametypes in the multiplayer mode. That's party my issue.

Gacha-pin

It's OK for PC peeps but if soft lock options is the default, nobody plays free aim match on consoles.

madmackem

It's not even about "serious multiplayer competition" or anything, I'm past that stage of online gameplay. I just don't want the community to be so split in a year that you have to jump on during "peak hours" to get a full free aim room because a ton of players are in soft-lock spawn camping or cheesing the casuals. It will also drive a lot of those casuals back to Call of Duty when the good players learn to exploit soft-lock + free aim skills and demolish those people.

This is not an issue specific to Max Payne 3, I've felt that Rockstar has had too many lists, and gameplay options since GTAIV. The multiplayer portion of the games have had no identity. Everyone is too split up.

Well, it's not something you "turn off," it's a completely separate set of gametypes in the multiplayer mode. That's party my issue.

Im sure in there last two games maybe pre patch it was an option, i never stuck around long enough tbh as i hate it.

I just finished my replay of Max Payne 2. Even though I knew it the ending still kinda got to me. That credit song man.

I'm ready for the next level Rockstar!

It's not even about "serious multiplayer competition" or anything, I'm passed that stage of online gameplay. I just don't want the community to be so split in a year that you have to jump on during "peak hours" to get a full free aim room because a ton of players are in soft-lock spawn camping or cheesing the casuals. It will also drive a lot of those casuals back to Call of Duty when the good players learn to exploit soft-lock + free aim skills and demolish those people.

This is not an issue specific to Max Payne 3, I've felt that Rockstar has had too many lists, and gamneplay options since GTAIV. The multiplayer portion of the games have had no identity.

I definitely can agree with this complaint. Sometimes too much choice isn't a good thing, and I feel like a lot of multiplayer games have this problem nowadays in that they fragment the player base too much, especially when player numbers shrink down the line.

Kaizer

Banned
Still undecided on whether I'm picking this up next week, might wait on reviews and see how you guys respond to the multiplayer.

In the meantime, I d'led the original Max Payne on PSN today, playing it for the first time. Man, this game is badass. I'll admit, in a day and age of cover shooters, it took me a second to get used to running/gunning everything in my path but now I'm having a great time. Can't believe I ever overlooked these games back on PS2.

Fletcher

I signed up for NeoGANG. I would love to have more people to play with as my friends aren't going to get this game because of Diablo.

Social Club name: diarrheaFist

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I just finished my replay of Max Payne 2. Even though I knew it the ending still kinda got to me. That credit song man.

"I had a dream of my wife. She was dead. But it was alright."

lock on seriously?

guess i can put this purchase on the back burner

THERE ARE SOFT-LOCK AND FREE AIM LOBBIES FOR EVERY MULTIPLAYER MODE.

That goes for everyone else getting the wrong impression.

EDIT: Oh and apparently you have to get 5,000 kills to unlock the Hardcore gametypes.....what the eff Rockstar.

EDIT: Oh and apparently you have to get 5,000 kills to unlock the Hardcore gametypes.....what the eff Rockstar.

so hardcore = free aim or is it different? your not telling my i have to get 5000 kills to play free aim like it was in RDR are you? main reason RDR multiplayer was shit when it could have been good.

What does this mean? What do you mean by Hardcore playlists? 5,000 kills is A LOT. I'd say a good full two days (48 hours) put into the multiplayer for an average player.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

emblem_128.png

If we could get this one with NeoGAF and Believe in the black areas it would be perfect.

Top Bottom