• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

zychi

Banned
And the text popping up from the dialog is silly. Same goes with the blinking after effects in the cutscenes. What the hell is this? The mechanics looks good though. The rest not so.

Part of the story/Max's story.

e: framerate was good? I have no idea what to say.

06034cb002af9e4e24520d7c3f521c6e4cb13149_128.png

I may retouch the "GAF" characters because they seem a little off.

zychi

Banned
didn't notice it. like i said in a previous post, i did have texture pop-up issues when the disk wasn't installed, but no slowdown or stuttering.

Oh yeah, definitely. Uncharted 3 is an amazing looking, and just plain great game don't get me wrong! I just mean in the sense of being really surprised at how well a game can come together as a cohesive whole. That's what I think U3 was sort of lacking, a sense of 'gel' that Among Thieves really nailed. Max Payne 3 really seems to flow together and the pacing seems great from the bits I've seen. I'll have to wait and see if my opinion changes after I complete the game and let my thoughts on it sink in a bit in a few days.

Yeah I completely agree with that...I mean U3 had some of the most impressive sequences in any game I have ever played...the desert segment was just incredible, but there was now "inbetween"...more like a series of spectacular set pieces and deviations....it really impressed me in parts, but U2 flat out blew me away like no other game this gen.

I wouldnt be surprised if this game is more focused than U3. Generally, I am a much bigger fan of ND games than anything Rockstar has outputted, but I think this one looks pretty interesting. I got it on order on PC, so I shall see in a few weeks.

I am hoping though that The Last of Us will blow me away like U2 did.

Oh yeah, definitely. Uncharted 3 is an amazing looking, and just plain great game don't get me wrong! I just mean in the sense of being really surprised at how well a game can come together as a cohesive whole. That's what I think U3 was sort of lacking, a sense of 'gel' that Among Thieves really nailed. Max Payne 3 really seems to flow together and the pacing seems great from the bits I've seen. I'll have to wait and see if my opinion changes after I complete the game and let my thoughts on it sink in a bit in a few days.

I can't see it not holding up for the rest of the game simply due to the combat looking so much better IMO. I hated the combat in U3, and while MP3 looks much less forgiving in terms of damage taken, it looks way more fun in terms of DISHING OUT damage and general shootouts. No shooters got anything on Euphoria, and this is the game which will prove that without a doubt. The seamless transitions, and level progressions also give it that feeling of constantly pushing forward.

And I can't believe people are complaining about the distortion/post-processed effects. It gives the game such a unique presentation within the genre, and medium as a whole. The only thing that comes close to this stylized grittiness is Kane & Lynch 2 with its scrambled camera recording and lens flare effects.

I can't see it not holding up for the rest of the game simply due to the combat looking so much better IMO. I hated the combat in U3, and while MP3 looks much less forgiving in terms of damage taken, it looks way more fun in terms of DISHING OUT damage and general shootouts. No shooters got anything on Euphoria, and this is the game which will prove that without a doubt. The seamless transitions, and level progressions also give it that feeling of constantly pushing forward.

And I can't believe people are complaining about the distortion/post-processed effects. It gives the game such a unique presentation within the genre, and medium as a whole. The only thing that comes close to this stylized grittiness is Kane & Lynch 2 with its scrambled camera recording and lens flare effects.

I agree completely. I suspect that the game will be great throughout, but until I'm finished with it it's hard to say. I've been in love with Euphoria since GTAIV, and the improvements they've made with it since then is seriously incredible. The only other games that even come close to Max Payne 3, in terms of the feeling of shooting enemies, is Killzone 2 and 3 I think. This should play much better than those by the looks of it though.

While I'm in total Max Payne hype mode at the moment, the back of my brain keeps thinking: "Oh my god, Grand Theft Auto V is going to be absurdly awesome!". It's a great time to be a video game fan that's for sure lol.

Fjordson

Was just about to link an arcade mode video I found earlier, but it's been removed. Shit, that was fast.

Looked really fun, though.

UrbanRats

Am I the only one just seeing GTA here? They use almost the same camera work, presentation and some of the characters behave almost alike as well.

And the text popping up from the dialog is silly. Same goes with the blinking after effects in the cutscenes. What the hell is this? The mechanics looks good though. The rest not so.

This is what I feared would happen. Will put this on hold for a while. Maybe if the price is good.
Haven't seen that video, but that was the case in the GTTV footage aswell, the cutscenes were 100% Rockstar.
Personally i'm fine with it, i liked Max Payne 1 and 2 and i like the GTAs, i wouldn't want R* to try and mock something they're not capable of doing, so i prefer they keep their style and take their spin on the character, but for someone who was expecting the classic Remedy storytelling, it sure can be a big turn off.

MMaRsu

Yeah im not confident in the writing and story..the 40min vid showed enough of that. Too bad we wont be getting all amazing metaphors and non shitty r* cutscenes

Yeah im not confident in the writing and story..the 40min vid showed enough of that. Too bad we wont be getting all amazing metaphors and non shitty r* cutscenes

Ha judging from the final hour of the game which I saw the writing will surprise you....

Besides, lets not act like we're dealing with Dostoevsky here.

MMaRsu

Ha judging from the final hour of the game which I saw the writing will surprise you....

Besides, lets not act like we're dealing with Dostoevsky here.

True but I watched a bit of the intro, no smile came to my face because Max was talking pretty damn seriously. I dunno, it's just something I can't put my finger on.

And dont talk about the final hour :p.

True but I watched a bit of the intro, no smile came to my face because Max was talking pretty damn seriously. I dunno, it's just something I can't put my finger on.

And dont talk about the final hour :p.

I won't but there's plenty of cynical humor judging from what I saw.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Any deals anywhere for this? Pre-order bonuses or something? Thanks for the heads up.

Best Buy has a 10$ gc for pre-ordering along with the first MP map DLC free.

Target gives a copy of GTAIV to those who purchase from them.

Amazon has 10$ credit for pre-ordering too.

CAG posted this online earlier.
Kmart
Earn a $15 Gaming Coupon when you purchase Max Payne 3 for PS3 or Diablo 3 for PC. Available Tuesday, May 15. (Reg. Price $59.99 each)

Aguirre

on a youtube vid of the first level (i think), max payne was wearing a white shirt and his luscious six pack was visible through said shirt.

different engine, different developer, started as a ps3 exclusive.

Thought it was a modified version of Rage. Still, after all this time it will baffle me if they haven't put the PS3 version of the engine up to par with the 360 version. What was the last Rage game? RDR?

on a youtube vid of the first level (i think), max payne was wearing a white shirt and his luscious six pack was visible through said shirt.

Actually, he put on some pounds and comments on that in the game. You can also tell from from the pre-release PR-videos that Max gained some weight. That's what alcohol and drugs can do to you.

Top Bottom