• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

so hardcore = free aim or is it different? your not telling my i have to get 5000 kills to play free aim like it was in RDR are you? main reason RDR multiplayer was shit when it could have been good.

No. It's:

Soft-Lock

Payne Killer
Gang Wars
Deathmeath
Team Deathmatch
Large Team Deathmatch
Large Deathmatch

Free Aim

Gang Wars
Payne Killer
Deathmatch
Team Deathmatch
Large Team Deathmatch
Large Deathmatch
Hardcore Deathmatch*
Hardcore Team Deathmatch*
Hardcore Gang Wars*

I'm guessing Hardcore is no name tags, and no radar. Maybe no bursts, IDK.

No. It's

Soft-Lock

Payne Killer
Gang Wars
Deathmeath
Team Deathmatch
Large Team Deathmatch
Large Deathmatch

Free Aim

Gang War
Payne Killer
Deathmatch
Team Deathmatch
Large Team Deathmatch
Large Deathmatch
Hardcore Deathmatch*
Hardcore team Deathmatch*
Hardcore Gang Wars*

I'm guessing Hardcore is no name tags, no radar. maybe no bursts, IDK.

At least you should know that people in the Hardcore playlists should be knowledgeable with the game, in theory. I wonder just how populated those playlists will be though. Rockstar must have some serious faith in this game for them to do something like that.

No. It's:

Soft-Lock

Payne Killer
Gang Wars
Deathmeath
Team Deathmatch
Large Team Deathmatch
Large Deathmatch

Free Aim

Gang War
Payne Killer
Deathmatch
Team Deathmatch
Large Team Deathmatch
Large Deathmatch
Hardcore Deathmatch*
Hardcore team Deathmatch*
Hardcore Gang Wars*

I'm guessing Hardcore is no name tags, no radar. maybe no bursts, IDK.

okay, thats more comforting. Still stupid as fuk tho. there shouldnt me lock on in a competitive shooter ever

At least you should know that people in the Hardcore playlists should be knowledgeable with the game, in theory. I wonder just how populated those playlists will be though. Rockstar must have some serious faith in this game for them to do something like that.

They are going to be deserted enough. Interested to see how free aim vs softlock player base distributes. Sadly I think about 1:4. Lets hope I'm wrong but I don't think I will.

Also the slow burn to level 50.... :/

Serious reservations about the MP now from what I've seen.

Watching this, I remember grinding Solomon's Folly in RDR to pass into Legend. Good times.

They are going to be deserted enough. Interested to see how free aim vs softlock player base distributes. Sadly I think about 1:4. Lets hope I'm wrong but I don't think I will.

Also the slow burn to level 50.... :/

Serious reservations about the MP now from what I've seen.

Watching this, I remember grinding Solomon's Folly in RDR to pass into Legend. Good times.

Yeah, I agree with all of this. 1:4 sounds about right for the Free Aim to Soft Lock disparity, but 1:2 would be nice. If the multi is good, then I'll be glad that the levelling takes a bit of time. Never got into Red Dead's multiplayer so not sure how it was in regards to all the stuff you guys mention.

I never spent enough time with RDR's MP to figure out how that shit worked. I assume MP3's MP is your basic "Select a playlist, then it matchmakes" sort of affair. I haven't been watching any videos so I have no clue.

Also, by soft lock are we talking a CoD style snap to target type of thing? Because that wouldn't be too awful. Like I said, haven't watched any videos.

Teknoman

Yeah, I agree with all of this. 1:4 sounds about right for the Free Aim to Soft Lock disparity, but 1:2 would be nice. If the multi is good, then I'll be glad that the levelling takes a bit of time. Never got into Red Dead's multiplayer so not sure how it was in regards to all the stuff you guys mention.

The posse free roam stuff was good fun, never really got into too many team DM or capture games, but the few I played with the PS3 GAF posse were fun.

No. It's:

Soft-Lock

Payne Killer
Gang Wars
Deathmeath
Team Deathmatch
Large Team Deathmatch
Large Deathmatch

Free Aim

Gang Wars
Payne Killer
Deathmatch
Team Deathmatch
Large Team Deathmatch
Large Deathmatch
Hardcore Deathmatch*
Hardcore Team Deathmatch*
Hardcore Gang Wars*

I'm guessing Hardcore is no name tags, and no radar. Maybe no bursts, IDK.

Just found out doing some research there is actually three different aiming modes. (at least for single player) one or the other isn't on by default, you have to choose which you want right at the beginning of the game.

Soft-lock
Hard- lock
Free aim

Also, by soft lock are we talking a CoD style snap to target type of thing? Because that wouldn't be too awful. Like I said, haven't watched any videos.

It's almost a CoD snap lock, but not nearly as egregious. At the same time, any lock-on, whatsoever, is bad news in multiplayer IMO. Aside from their unwillingness to just completely drop lock-on aiming, I really don't understand why they added it on the multiplayer side of things

Just found out doing some research there is actually three different aiming modes. (at least for single player) one or the other isn't on by default, you have to choose which you want right at the beginning of the game.

Soft-lock
Hard- lock
Free aim

Yeah I'm talking strictly multiplayer. I don't care how people play their singleplayer titles, but I just don't like the split of 12 modes (4 of which are just bigger versions of DM and TDM) across 2 separate aiming styles in which the "easy" one will probably see a larger number of players.

It's almost a CoD snap lock, but not nearly as egregious. At the same time, any lock-on, whatsoever, is bad news in multiplayer IMO. Aside from their unwillingness to just completely drop lock-on aiming, I really don't understand why they added it on the multiplayer side of things

Yeah I'm talking strictly multiplayer. I don't care how people play their singleplayer titles, but I just don't like the split of 12 modes (4 of which are just bigger versions of DM and TDM) across 2 separate aiming styles in which the "easy" one will probably see a larger number of players.

I agree, it has always seemed weird to me how R* keeps putting weird lock-on options in MP, hopefully it is a situation where skilled players will still out-aim people using soft lock.

opened

jumped to a random part cause i didnt wanna get spoiled in anything other than non-edited gameplay

jumped exactly to what's probably the best part of the whole thing and spoiled it

FML

I just jumped around, and there's nowhere you can skip to in that video without something badass happening. That's probably the best I've seen this game played so far. Lots of shoot dodging.

zychi

Banned
Got this game tonight from my kmart, dont have gold for mp tho. They need to patch a few things already. Randoming falling through floors, slow mo not working because theres a wall in the way. Bullet camera being broken because a guy on the other side of the room grazes you and you cant retaliate because your aim was too far in a different direction when you got shot.

The story is neat, i think i'm nearly done with the campaign on medium, used the soft lock first time through.

Also had some texture issues when the game wasnt installed to my 360 hard drive, may just be because i have a launch 360 still tho.

only a few days (or weeks) to the launch day!!

It's almost ten years of waiting. How can you watch full of spoiler gameplay vids.

People like me don't care about spoilers or first hand experiences. It's still awesome when I'll play it myself. I guess just a different kind of mindset.

Fjordson

Yeah, spoilers don't really bother me. I mean, I'd never watch the ending or watch the whole thing, but I've never had a problem seeing bits of the first few hours.

Anyone know if the game has a multiplayer menu or do you have to load up the single player to get to the multiplayer like in Red Dead & GTAIV? It always bugged me when I would get disconnected from a game and would have to load the single player to get to the mp.

only a few days (or weeks) to the launch day!!

It's almost ten years of waiting. How can you watch full of spoiler gameplay vids.

I avoid big spoilers, but getting a handle on how the game opens and flows is in the first hour is no big deal to me. It only gets me more hyped since the progression, and enemy encounters are looking much more like what I wanted out of Uncharted 3. I'm more hyped after watching raw gameplay.

Anyone know if the game has a multiplayer menu or do you have to load up the single player to get to the multiplayer like in Red Dead & GTAIV? It always bugged me when I would get disconnected from a game and would have to load the single player to get to the mp.

Menus. More standard than RDR and GTAIV.

Oh my god, after watching that 40 minute video, I am so damn hyped. Everything looks incredible, and the graphics are pretty great, especially considering it's on the 360. I think I'm going to install this game; I need something to fill up the over 200 gigs free I have.

I avoid big spoilers, but getting a handle on how the game opens and flows is in the first hour is no big deal to me. It only gets me more hyped since the progression, and enemy encounters are looking much more like what I wanted out of Uncharted 3. I'm more hyped after watching raw gameplay.

While I still very much enjoyed Uncharted 3, this definitely seems like the real sequel, in terms of 'wow-factor', to Among Thieves. Absolutely cannot wait to see what kind of surprises are in store throughout the game.

Oh my god, after watching that 40 minute video, I am so damn hyped. Everything looks incredible, and the graphics are pretty great, especially considering it's on the 360. I think I'm going to install this game; I need something to fill up the over 200 gigs free I have.

While I still very much enjoyed Uncharted 3, this definitely seems like the real sequel, in terms of 'wow-factor', to Among Thieves. Absolutely cannot wait to see what kind of surprises are in store throughout the game.

Graphically though, Uncharted 3 still blitzes it in my opinion, but thats fine, the game looks nice visually

Three More Days!

tumblr_m3vgldKmRE1qblaph.gif

I have a special GIF reserved for Angry Fork when it's released.

Graphically though, Uncharted 3 still blitzes it in my opinion, but thats fine, the game looks nice visually

Oh yeah, definitely. Uncharted 3 is an amazing looking, and just plain great game don't get me wrong! I just mean in the sense of being really surprised at how well a game can come together as a cohesive whole. That's what I think U3 was sort of lacking, a sense of 'gel' that Among Thieves really nailed. Max Payne 3 really seems to flow together and the pacing seems great from the bits I've seen. I'll have to wait and see if my opinion changes after I complete the game and let my thoughts on it sink in a bit in a few days.

God damn the gunplay looks so fucking good. The sound effects of the guns, the slow-mo, the body being riddled with bullets... I really hope the level design and set pieces later on are as good as the club scene.

I still lose my shit when you dive into a wall and the physics/animation finally react accordingly

Tasty 40 min gameplay (spoilers as hell, the beginning of the game)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCsMl1l8LsU&feature=relmfu

I've been pretty cool on this game so far, because I don't really have a high opinion of Rockstar's games. They do a certain brand of crime fiction better than anyone else can, but that's not what I want out of Max Payne, and I think GTA IV is one of the worst games I've ever played in terms of character- and shooting-controls, so these guys taking over what I consider to be one of the best shooter series didn't get me very excited. Watching this footage pretty much confirms that, nope, they aren't nailing the brand of noir I want from Max Payne; the dialogue is all wrong and Max's monologues are worse, and they're already doing the hackneyed Rockstar thing of introducing random zany characters played by terrible overactors. But, man, it looks like a fantastic shooter. I still want to see how the PC version handles, but I look forward to playing this.

I've been pretty cool on this game so far, because I don't really have a high opinion of Rockstar's games. They do a certain brand of crime fiction better than anyone else can, but that's not what I want out of Max Payne, and I think GTA IV is one of the worst games I've ever played in terms of character- and shooting-controls, so these guys taking over what I consider to be one of the best shooter series didn't get me very excited. Watching this footage pretty much confirms that, nope, they aren't nailing the brand of noir I want from Max Payne; the dialogue is all wrong and Max's monologues are worse, and they're already doing the hackneyed Rockstar thing of introducing random zany characters played by terrible overactors. But, man, it looks like a fantastic shooter. I still want to see how the PC version handles, but I look forward to playing this.

What "brand of noir" are you looking for, exactly? Sam Lake's writing is (intentionally, I'm sure) goofy as shit, and has definitely always had "random zany characters", Max Payne 2 in particular.

If anything, what we've seen of Max Payne 3 is too noir for Max Payne - its aesthetics are far grittier and more hardboiled than they've ever been but the dialogue in trailers and stuff still seems to consist of metaphors that barely make any sense.

What "brand of noir" are you looking for, exactly? Sam Lake's writing is (intentionally, I'm sure) goofy as shit, and has definitely always had "random zany characters", Max Payne 2 in particular.
That's what I liked about it. Max Payne has always been juuust this side of self-parody. It's the Mickey Spillane school of noir writing, where you can open one of his books to a random page and read the most mindblowingly hardboiled metaphor of your life. Max Payne's noir is just barely rooted in our reality, it's a world where there's no daytime, where the weather acts in sympathy with Max's emotions. I should probably mention that I like Max Payne 1 more than the second game because of all that. MP2 is a little too mundane; Max looks like a person and he has an apartment, he's not a supernatural force of nature. MP3 seems to go all the way mundane; I don't want to know that Max knows who Ricky Martin is, or that he can schmooze through a cocktail party. Not that it isn't a valid flavour of noir fiction, it's just not really Max Payne to me.

The things I associate with Rockstar are cutscenes where your character is forever the pompous straightman to a cavalcade of over-the-top characters, never expressing anything more than one basic emotion and never playing into the tone of the scene so it always just comes off really awkward. Almost every time the cutscene lasts twenty seconds too long, and the supporting character sort of trails off into silence. I know those are weirdly specific complaints, but that's how every Rockstar game works.

zychi

Banned
Beat it on medium. Took me about
14 hours
on and off all day. Loved every minute of it. I may buy it on PC just to play through it again like it's supposed to.

tci

Tasty 40 min gameplay (spoilers as hell, the beginning of the game)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCsMl1l8LsU&feature=relmfu
Am I the only one just seeing GTA here? They use almost the same camera work, presentation and some of the characters behave almost alike as well.

And the text popping up from the dialog is silly. Same goes with the blinking after effects in the cutscenes. What the hell is this? The mechanics looks good though. The rest not so.

This is what I feared would happen. Will put this on hold for a while. Maybe if the price is good.

Top Bottom