• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

It's so close to release now, I refuse to watch any footage no matter how early it occurs in the campaign. Best to just go into this game knowing nothing at all.

Drewsky

He was talking about RDR. We still don't have any impressions on MP3.

Oh. Thought he was implying he had a copy and that in fact was what it was like.

Still though, it will probably turn out right. Seems like PS3 is always on the disappointing side of multiplatform games these days.

quaere

Anyone in Socal seen any sign of this yet? Both of the stores I know will sell it as soon as it comes in just haven't gotten it yet.

Ok, so here are my impressions of the game so far. Note I have only put maybe an hour into the single player and probably six+ into the multiplayer (it's very addicting). I'm going to just spoiler tag everything because I know some people probably don't want to know some of this information. I'm playing on the 360 version

Multiplayer:

The multiplayer side is very much Uncharted 2/Call of Duty esque. Not in the sense that you are calling in air strikes or anything like that. But that you can climb onto ledges, buildings, boxes, fences, etc. It is not as open as Uncharted's multiplayer, but there is some parkour.

As for the Call of duty side of things there are "bursts" that you build up through gaining adrenaline. Adrenaline is gained through killing people and looting bodies. Bursts are essentially a mini kill streak. Some of the bursts are, increases damaged, increased health, show up as a team mate on the enemy team. There are three levels to a burst. You can either save up for a rank three bursts or blow it on rank one while playing. Your adrenaline decays when you die, so if you are saving up for a rank three burst and die, you will lose some of that progress, obviously.

Much like Call of Duty, there are TONS of what Max Payne is calling "Grinds" or Challenges . Get one hundred Headshots, one hundred Bullet Time kills, etc. Progressing through these Grinds gives you XP.

You gain cashing just through playing matches, looting and ranking up. There may be more ways, but I haven't noticed. Cash is used to buy the items, weapons, you have unlocked through ranking up.

One thing that really blew my mind about mutliplayer is that pretty much everything is customizable. Shoes, masks, attachments on guns. The weight of your player and how much stamia, how fast your health regens, etc.

I am currently sitting at rank 9 right now. As I said earlier, progression seems to be very slow. This could be just due to the fact that there aren't a lot of people playing right now. Most I've seen online is 50. Pretty sure that it is just slow. I am not a terrible player either, usually have at least an even or positive K/D.

Right now since there really aren't a lot of people playing everyone is playing TDM, so I haven't even been able to touch anything else (soft-lock). I will probably stick with TDM for release anyway.

As for Soft-lock. It can be a little buggy with some areas. For example, if someone comes up on you and you soft lock onto them and they run passed you, the camera has a tendency to jerk around fast, very disorienting.

Most of the maps are pretty close quarters and keeps the action flowing. Nothing really to say about them other than I am really enjoying all but one.

Load times can be extremely long.

Overall, I am having a ton of fun with the mutliplayer and it definitely shocking to me the amount of depth there is to it. I was not expecting half of this. Rockstar really went above and behind my expectations for multiplayer.

Singleplayer: I'm not going to include any plot spoilers, so don't be afraid to highlight if that's what you're worried about.

-Maybe the best looking game on 360. I haven't spent enough time with it yet so far to be 100% sure. All the youtube and streams you've all seen do not do this game justice. It looks amazing in motion on your own tv.
-Framerate has been very smooth so far.
-Minor pop ins. Haven't installed it yet.
-Game is extremely cinematic. Gunplay is silky smooth (free aim or die)
-Melee kills are brutal and very satisfying.
-Playing on medium difficulty and like other people have said the game is not just run and gun.
-The AI is VERY smart. I've had enemies sneak up on me that I had no idea were coming and just put a bullet into the back of my head.
-Unique deaths when you die.
-Animations might be some of the best I've ever seen. The look, feel and weight to Max when he's running down a hall carrying a shotgun in one hand and an uzi in the other is perfect.
-They nailed bullet time. Feels just like it did back in the day, but better.
-Difficulty can be changed on fly.

Again I've only spent maybe an hour, if that with the single player, so there is still a lot I don't know yet. I don't know if there is any sort of exploration within the level. It's been linear so far. Not that I expected it to be open.

Simo

Ok, so here are my impressions of the game so far. Note I have only put maybe an hour into the single player and probably six+ into the multiplayer (it's very addicting). I'm going to just spoiler tag everything because I know some people probably don't want to know some of this information. I'm playing on the 360 version

Multiplayer:

The multiplayer side is very much Uncharted 2/Call of Duty esque. Not in the sense that you are calling in air strikes or anything like that. But that you can climb onto ledges, buildings, boxes, fences, etc. It is not as open as Uncharted's multiplayer, but there is some parkour.

As for the Call of duty side of things there are "bursts" that you build up through gaining adrenaline. Adrenaline is gained through killing people and looting bodies. Bursts are essentially a mini kill streak. Some of the bursts are, increases damaged, increased health, show up as a team mate on the enemy team. There are three levels to a burst. You can either save up for a rank three bursts or blow it on rank one while playing. Your adrenaline decays when you die, so if you are saving up for a rank three burst and die, you will lose some of that progress, obviously.

Much like Call of Duty, there are TONS of what Max Payne is calling "Grinds" or Challenges . Get one hundred Headshots, one hundred Bullet Time kills, etc. Progressing through these Grinds gives you XP.

You gain cashing just through playing matches, looting and ranking up. There may be more ways, but I haven't noticed. Cash is used to buy the items, weapons, you have unlocked through ranking up.

One thing that really blew my mind about mutliplayer is that pretty much everything is customizable. Shoes, masks, attachments on guns. The weight of your player and how much stamia, how fast your health regens, etc.

I am currently sitting at rank 9 right now. As I said earlier, progression seems to be very slow. This could be just due to the fact that there aren't a lot of people playing right now. Most I've seen online is 50. Pretty sure that it is just slow. I am not a terrible player either, usually have at least an even or positive K/D.

Right now since there really aren't a lot of people playing everyone is playing TDM, so I haven't even been able to touch anything else (soft-lock). I will probably stick with TDM for release anyway.

As for Soft-lock. It can be a little buggy with some areas. For example, if someone comes up on you and you soft lock onto them and they run passed you, the camera has a tendency to jerk around fast, very disorienting.

Most of the maps are pretty close quarters and keeps the action flowing. Nothing really to say about them other than I am really enjoying all but one.

Overall, I am having a ton of fun with the mutliplayer and it definitely shocking to me the amount of depth there is to it. I was not expecting half of this. Rockstar really went above and behind my expectations for multiplayer.

Singleplayer: I'm not going to include any plot spoilers, so don't be afraid to highlight if that's what you're worried about.

-Maybe the best looking game on 360. I haven't spent enough time with it yet so far to be 100% sure. All the youtube and streams you've all seen do not do this game justice. It looks amazing in motion on your own tv.
-Playing on medium difficulty and like other people have said the game is not just run and gun.
-The AI is VERY smart. I've had enemies sneak up on me that I had no idea were coming and just put a bullet into the back of my head.
-Animations might be some of the best I've ever seen. The look, feel and weight to Max when he's running down a hall carrying a shotgun in one hand and an uzi in the other is perfect.

Again I've only spent maybe an hour, if that with the single player, so there is still a lot I don't know yet. I don't know if there is any sort of exploration within the level. It's been linear so far. Not that I expected it to be open.

Awesome! Cheers for the impressions!

Have you noticed if there are any Avatar awards? I know Red Dead had some.

Grisby

Great impressions [redacted]. I hope the PS3 version is as good (usually get games on the 360 but dammit I want to play my PS3 more!).

You're right, that's some crazy depth that I didn't expect from a TPS multiplayer.

edit-Gah, I saw two Max's and got confused. My bad Safeinsound.

rvy

Banned

Multiplayer:

I came buckets. R* is killing Yurop.

Great impressions Simo. I hope the PS3 version is as good (usually get games on the 360 but dammit I want to play my PS3 more!).

You're right, that's some crazy depth that I didn't expect from a TPS multiplayer.

Those are my impressions! :p.

Awesome! Cheers for the impressions!

Have you noticed if there are any Avatar awards? I know Red Dead had some.

Nah, there aren't any or at least when I go to awards Max Payne doesn't even show.

kaskade

Multiplayer:

Load times can be extremely long.

Awesome man. So it seems the game lives up to what we all have hoped. Multiplayer sounds fun. I've been looking for a new game to play online.

Agreed.

That and the comic panel stuff is pretty distracting from the looks of it. Heavy Rain was ok as it was pretty gentle and not quickly moving around.

Without spoiling, there's a point early in the game when Max is wounded (as you can tell from the reveal trailers and such). When you have that wound the screen is literally pulsing so frequently it's either like having a seizure yourself or wondering if your TV is all right.

I get what they're going for with that but it was a little too much.

Blutonium

Ok guys, I pre-ordered Max Payne 3 on Steam, and as a gift I got Max Payne 1 & 2. I already own these games both digital, and as original copies though.

Is there anyone who wants to trade Max Payne 1 and 2 through Steam?

Ok guys, I pre-ordered Max Payne 3 on Steam, and as a gift I got Max Payne 1 & 2. I already own these games both digital, and as original copies though.

Is there anyone who wants to trade Max Payne 1 and 2 through Steam?

emm I can buy you a game you want that costs less than 9,50 euro >.<

despire

Is there any info about the possible performance differences/issues between 360 and PS3 versions? Should I be worried that I've ordered this on PS3?

Edit:
So, apparently no impressions yet on the PS3? 360-version should be fine though?

And some awesome impressions they where, quick question though (or request i guess)

Can you go into depth a little more on the kinds of attachments the guns have and what you can do with them? Appreciate it

Extended mags, silencer--drops off accuracy (I think), red dot--increases accuracy of first shot, tint (no idea what that does). Couple others that I can't remember right now.

Simo

I had no idea there even was weapon customization in this.

Yeah I think even one of the Bursts, Double Weapons Dealer I think, can be used against weapon attachments like level 2 disabling attachments and level 3 priming and causing enemy players to drop their live grenades.

cddf4a2742414e37afd9c18ae33835df65761520_128.png

Almost there!

Ridley327

I see what u did there ;b

by the way there's still no comparison between xbox and ps3 version right ?

No direct comparisons yet. FWIW, they've been showing both versions off at events and no one has reported any glaring differences between the two. I'd have to think that this game not being open world allowed for RAGE to be better optimized on the PS3 than it has been in the past.

These updated spolier free impressions are sound greater by the minute. This weekend is going to be ROUGH

I had a dream I shaved my head last night. Ive already been growing out my beard for weeks.

Top Bottom