• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Done!

Any of you guys plan on getting it at midnight and jumping on for some multiplayer? If so you guys can hit me up on XBL and hopefully get in the lobby with Rockstar.

Ughhh, I probably won't be able to get online until late Tuesday night. I'm avoiding this thread once the clock strikes midnight out of pure jealously.

Done!

Any of you guys plan on getting it at midnight and jumping on for some multiplayer? If so you guys can hit me up on XBL and hopefully get in the lobby with Rockstar.

I personally won't be touching multiplayer till a play through the entire campaign. See you guys in about a week though for some action!

The wait... is almost over. It's almost in sight.

eX5ps.gif

Yeah I won't be hopping online immediately. I want my first impressions of how the game plays and feels via the single player and not the multi. I'll also probably totally complete the game before heading online. I hope to join up with you guys not too long after release day though!

I'll be playing on 360 by the way, even though I have both consoles.

dreamfall

Yeah I won't be hopping online immediately. I want my first impressions of how the game plays and feels via the single player and not the multi. I'll also probably totally complete the game before heading online. I hope to join up with you guys not too long after release day though!

I'll be playing on 360 by the way, even though I have both consoles.

I'll be there late, I'm sure this multiplayer will last a good while! I'll definitely be playing 360, and then, oh so master race if I can finish this rig by then. So close!

well I saw the intro credits and googled the name of all the character artists and senior artists and I don't think a single one of them had a proper online gallery.

sigh

well I saw the intro credits and googled the name of all the character artists and senior artists and I don't think a single one of them had a proper online gallery.

sigh

Well, why would they?

The Housers keep them housed and fed under the R* building in NYC. They have a giant facility there along with huge hamster wheels.

Enco

I hated how they focused too much on making characters feel weighty in GTA 4 and Red Dead, and that it resulted in less fluidity. I fucking hate tank-like controls in games that kinda require fast reflexes in shootouts. Lost count of the number of times Niko decided to be a complete tit and get stuck in a doorway, or the number of times Marston had issues shooting out of a window from cover. Seriously, if I'm having trouble opening a fucking door in a game, I stop giving a shit about "weighty" character movement. Doubt it's an issue in MP3, but I also hated having to hold down a button to jog, and tap it to sprint in the previous two R* games (not including LA Noire). Apparently, they forgot how analogue sensitivity works?
Agreed.

Fuck tank controls. Really ruined RE5 and DR2.

Agreed.

Fuck tank controls. Really ruined RE5 and DR2.

There's a difference between tank controls, and overly weighty momentum based movement. GTAIV and RDR (to a much lesser extent) had issues with the latter, but they weren't tank controls. GTAIV had even more issues like the horribad cover system, not being able to hard aim in cover without shooting, very slow + cumbersome general movement, the weapon select, tap/hold to run even with a weapon drawn, etc. etc that all exacerbated the main issue which was their movement system. RE5 is tank controls. No strafing and having to stop to change directions (when not running) being the main examples of why.

From everything I've seen of MP3, they've seemed to tighten player control on top of always being in "shooting mode" which should remedy a lot of the issues they had before. It still looks heavier than something like Uncharted 2/3 though so I suspect there will still be complaints, but, without having played it yet, it looks much better.

What difficulty is everyone going to play their first play-through on? I'm debating whether I want to do the first run on Hard or Medium. Just how hard is Hard difficulty? I'm a seasoned shooter player so I'm thinking about just going with Hard, but I'm not sure.

If anyone who's got a copy could chime in, that'd be great! I know there's two difficulties that unlock after you beat the game too, which will probably be brutal.

Abylim

Gaaah!
Stupid australian release dates... I want this now, or tomorrow. Not Friday.

Probably not hopping into online until abit later. I, too, like to play SP first, then MP.

What difficulty is everyone going to play their first play-through on? I'm debating whether I want to do the first run on Hard or Medium. Just how hard is Hard difficulty? I'm a seasoned shooter player so I'm thinking about just going with Hard, but I'm not sure.

If anyone who's got a copy could chime in, that'd be great! I know there's two difficulties that unlock after you beat the game too, which will probably be brutal.

Hard + Free Aim. Must get all the trophies so the least amount of playthroughs the better. Will be replaying the SP a lot anyway though for New York Minute.

After that it's MP all the way.

Have to wait until Friday to play (when my Amazon order arrives), in the meanwhile it's Diablo time!

Fjordson

I'd like to play on hard the first time through. Really depends on how solid the shooting feels, though. If it's "virginal tight" as someone earlier describe it then most definitely hard + free aim. If it's "slow and clunky" like someone else described it, then possibly medium + free aim. We shall see.

You have to finish Hard to Unlock Old School and Hardcore anyway, juding from posts from people who already have the game.

Difficulty trophies do stack btw, so that's a plus!

Hard + Free Aim. Must get all the trophies so the least amount of playthroughs the better. Will be replaying the SP a lot anyway though for New York Minute.

After that it's MP all the way.

Have to wait until Friday to play (when my Amazon order arrives), in the meanwhile it's Diablo time!

I'd like to play on hard the first time through. Really depends on how solid the shooting feels, though. If it's "virginal tight" as someone earlier describe it then most definitely hard + free aim. If it's "slow and clunky" like someone else described it, then possibly medium + free aim. We shall see.

Yeah I typically play my first play-through in games on the Hard equivalent difficulty, so I'll most likely run Hard as well. Hopefully the Hard isn't too overly frustrating, but since there's those two tougher difficulties, it should be the sweet spot for me. Free Aim is the only way to go too, but I may fool around with the other aiming systems on later plays.

You have to finish Hard to Unlock Old School and Hardcore anyway, juding from posts from people who already have the game.

Difficulty trophies do stack btw, so that's a plus!

Didn't realize you had to beat the game on Hard for those to unlock, so that settles that! I also wonder just how different Hard, Old School, and Hardcore play....

I always do first playthroughs on normal/medium because I find that most devs just make the game more frustrating on higher difficulties instead of actually putting thought into it and making it more challenging. I'd rather see just how much I like a game before dealing with any potential frustrating sections.

I always do first playthroughs on normal/medium because I find that most devs just make the game more frustrating on higher difficulties instead of actually putting thought into it and making it more challenging. I'd rather see just how much I like a game before dealing with any potential frustrating sections.

Same here.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Same here. Higher difficulties are usually reserved only for games I love. I don't play to be frustrated.

Yeah, I agree with this definitely. That's why I was considering going with Medium initially. Sometimes though, Medium/Normal turns out to just be slightly too easy for me in a lot of games so it can be hard to say occasionally with what difficulty to choose.

Hard + Free aim is pretty difficult in spots.

Just in passing, I wonder how ridiculous a full 1000 points/platinum is going to be in this game. Red Dead had some real sons of bitches, especially in the DLC.

angrybus

Banned
This is truth. It can also diminish your views on what otherwise might be a perfectly fine game on mid or lower difficulties, which is a shame (though the same might be said about games that are too easy on the, ahem, easy difficulty).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Pretty much every game I play lately is too easy on the default difficulty, so I like to go on hard whenever possible. If there's a difficulty above that I usually wait for another playthrough.

I'm ok with higher difficulties right away as long as the game puts you back in very fast. CoD is really good at this. They can be frustrating on Veteran, but at least you don't have to sit there waiting a minute for the game to reload while you're already frustrated about not being able to beat a certain part (like that damn hallway from Executive Order in Black Ops).

zkylon

zkylewd
I'll probably do the hardest availeable right away. I don't regard myself as a skilled player in any way but I find games in normal diff too easy and it's a requirement for my enjoyment to be able to lose every now and then.

Top Bottom