• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Zep

Banned
What is the alternative?

If you were to fail a part that started with a cutscene, you would watch until prompted to, "press enter to skip" letting you know your game is loaded. Since all peoples PC's are different, it seems like the way to go and hopefully they do it.

It's just a minor annoyance. Nothing to make or break a purchase.

JB1981

Rockstar themselves said you can switch to R1. You could do the same thing for RDR, the option was patched in. For Max Payne, they have that option from the outset.

Ah OK. Sorry about that then.

PS3 footage looked very good in that CVG review. Game looks like it might be a little disappointint though :(

Don't like how they mentioned that there are constant cutscenes and the gameplay is very one-note. Bullet-time has lots its appeal a bit and you can't even throw grenades. Weapon set is very standard, last act of game is really difficult and frustrating. Hmmmmm

jett

D-Member
No. Played UC2 recently, and skipping cutscenes results in a loading screen.

Only if it plays a cut-scene right after you load up a saved game or start a new chapter. There should be no load screens if you skip cut-scenes mid-game. Uncharted 3 is the same. Uncharted 1 however is not.

Ah OK. Sorry about that then.

PS3 footage looked very good in that CVG review. Game looks like it might be a little disappointint though :(

Don't like how they mentioned that there are constant cutscenes and the gameplay is very one-note. Bullet-time has lots its appeal a bit and you can't even throw grenades. Weapon set is very standard, last act of game is really difficult and frustrating. Hmmmmm

Constant cutscenes don't bug me. I finished MGS4 twice, nothing will ever compare to that madness. Gameplay is one note, probably. It's a pure shooter. The entire game is built around shooting people in the face in slow-motion. "Max communicates to the world with his weapons". Bullet-time looks great to me, I dunno. Throwing grenades, yeah, not being able to do that is weird. You could do it in the previous games. Maybe they figured it would break flow of combat?

The weapons are interesting to me though. There's tons of them and they're all individually modeled and shit. Standard, yeah, they're real world weapons. But there's a ton of them.

I think if by the final act you haven't gotten the art of killing down, that is a terrible shame, hahaha.

GrayFoxPL

2JPn2.jpg

=(
Is that Fred Flintstone? :D

I agree. It's okay to use every now if you have a specific purpose for it but it seems like they were applied randomly. I think it's a visual mess.
It was pretty cool using it for a transition, and the paneling that they did was nice too. But yeah, it seems like there's scanlines and colour shifting every three seconds for no reason.

Jeff's reaction to Max taking a pill mid-air was exactly mine. So fucking awesome!
Haha, it was awesome. I like that there's an actual animation for pill popping now. Also the way he holds onto the rifle when he's single wielding a pistol is great, love that kind of detail.

MattDoza

Haha, it was awesome. I like that there's an actual animation for it now. Also the way he holds onto the rifle when he's single wielding a pistol is great, love that kind of detail.

When he reloads the pistol with the two handed gun in his other hand, he actually puts it under his arm and holds it while he reloads, so good.

Salsa

jesus christ quicklook took my hype through the roof and beyond

god dammit i need some PC impressions before preordering aaaaaaaaaaggg

MattDoza

I actually haven't been following the multiplayer much - I'm assuming there aren't any options regarding your character's sex? That's too bad, but oh well.

Options? There's definitely female characters, but other than them existing and being playable, what were you hoping for?

Options? There's definitely female characters, but other than them existing and being playable, what were you hoping for?

No, that was it. I was just wondering if there were male and female options for multiplayer characters, since I'd only actually seen dudes in the screenshots (I haven't really been following the multiplayer closely, though).

Pimpbaa

Yeah, no.
When in the later stages of the game you'll be dying a lot with (as many reviews suggest) oddly placed checkpoints, watching the same damn cutscene over and over and over and over everytime you make a mistake, it's a dumbfuck gamedesign decision, however you spin it.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. No way in hell I'm buying this unless they fix it. It is simply inexcusable.

MattDoza

No, that was it. I was just wondering if there were male and female options for multiplayer characters, since I'd only actually seen dudes in the screenshots (I haven't really been following the multiplayer closely, though).

Ah, gotcha. There was actually a MP video a few pages back that featured a female character.

CTE

Multiplayer is going to be a big part of this game it seems from the plans they've unveiled. You can be male or female. Be sure to join a crew when you create a character, too. The crews will carry over to GTA V.

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/

Just finished my first playthrough. Not sure how long it was exactly, but it was over 10 hours for sure. The Uncharted comparisons earlier in the thread that some people laughed off are actually completely warranted. From the cutscenes to the flow of the story to the locales and to some parts of the gameplay: the game screams Uncharted... but that's not a bad thing. It's an awesome game and a natural evolution of the Max Payne formula. It keeps the Max Payne staples intact (bullet time, shoot dodge, etc), but brings it to the modern day with cover and blind fire mechanics.

One problem with the game is that there doesn't seem to be much of a strategy to taking painkillers anymore. I played on Hard and painkillers always filled up my health in one go, and it takes like two to three shots to kill me.. however, there is a "last man standing" mechanic (think Hitman - kill who killed you and you survive) at play that activates if you have a painkiller on hand. I RARELY had to manually use a painkiller because I knew the last man standing mechanic would come into play and save me from death.
Another problem with the game is the cover mechanic isn't very reliable... at all. I've been shot and killed from seemingly impossible angles many times, and it's pretty goddamn annoying.
Lastly, the story and writing.. kinda disappointing. I guess the story is up to MP standards but the writing, far from it. Max's monologues are nothing without Sam Lake.

Still, the gameplay is solid and the MP is pretty damn fun. I'll be playing this for a while, and look forward to double dipping on the PC version, where I can headshot left and right. :)

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. No way in hell I'm buying this unless they fix it. It is simply inexcusable.
This is not true. Every checkpoint I encountered (NOT including the beginning of levels) starts a few seconds before the action.
However, some checkpoint locations are indeed questionable (way too far back, etc).

There seems to be too much downtime in multiplayer between the wait in the lobby and loading the map. If anything is going to hurt the experience it's that.

5amshift

Banned
Watched the quick look and I shit myself when in the club he jumps through the window in bullet time.

The helicopter scene didn't look like that much fun and I'm thankful it's at the beginning of the game, I hate those type of levels.

MMaRsu

Just finished my first playthrough. Not sure how long it was exactly, but it was over 10 hours for sure. The Uncharted comparisons earlier in the thread that some people laughed off are actually completely warranted. From the cutscenes to the flow of the story to the locales and to some parts of the gameplay: the game screams Uncharted... but that's not a bad thing. It's an awesome game and a natural evolution of the Max Payne formula. It keeps the Max Payne staples intact (bullet time, shoot dodge, etc), but brings it to the modern day with cover and blind fire mechanics.

One problem with the game is that there doesn't seem to be much of a strategy to taking painkillers anymore. I played on Hard and painkillers always filled up my health in one go, and it takes like two to three shots to kill me.. however, there is a "last man standing" mechanic (think Hitman - kill who killed you and you survive) at play that activates if you have a painkiller on hand. I RARELY had to manually use a painkiller because I knew the last man standing mechanic would come into play and save me from death.
Another problem with the game is the cover mechanic isn't very reliable... at all. I've been shot and killed from seemingly impossible angles many times, and it's pretty goddamn annoying.
Lastly, the story and writing.. kinda disappointing. I guess the story is up to MP standards but the writing, far from it. Max's monologues are nothing without Sam Lake.

Still, the gameplay is solid and the MP is pretty damn fun. I'll be playing this for a while, and look forward to double dipping on the PC version, where I can headshot left and right. :)

This is not true. Every checkpoint I encountered (NOT including the beginning of levels) starts a few seconds before the action.
However, some checkpoint locations are indeed questionable (way too far back, etc).

Very sad to hear about the monologues, but it was to expected without Sam Lake. I don't understand why R* went all boring and serious with it. I guess these confirm all our fears that a R* made Max Payne game would be nothing in terms of atmosphere and writing when compared to the brilliance of previous games.

Still I will gladly pick it up because like you said the gameplay has been kept intact and that is also very important to me. I'm hoping on not having to rely too much on cover, and the last man standing I think is actually pretty cool, but does it feel like cheating?

I will gladly play Old School mode I think..cant wait. Also arcade mode seems right up my alley :).

That GB ql was a real downer, so much stuff I do not like about it :(

Like what? I havent watched it yet but do they play very badly again like GB is known to? Or just the game in general you didnt like?

derFeef

Like what? I havent watched it yet but do they play very badly again like GB is known to? Or just the game in general you didnt like?

Nah, it's just not the Max Payne I know. It's too over the top, you will see. The monologue sounds wrong somehow, the cutscenes are headache inducing etc.
Action looks fantastic (even if Ryan played pretty stale), but that may not be enough.

JB1981

Did you play PS3 or 360? How is IQ, framerate etc.

Thanks for the impressions, but a burning question in my mind since the QL I saw might've been due to editing: Are cutscenes skippable?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Man, I can't wait to get my hands on this game!

That's all I've been thinking about for the last month.

Edit - Thank you CVG for the PS3 footage. It is very appreciated ;)

I've got it pre-ordered.

Not sure about all these graphical effects/scan lines popping up everywhere, can imagine it'll get a bit annoying after an hour or two. Any option to disable/tone them down?

There's absolutely no strategy involved with softlock multiplayer. It's just bullet hell once you step out because everyone has that slight snap on first hard aim + name tags give you away instantly. I guess it's ok if you enjoy super easy kills.

And they don't seem to understand the concept of the Paranoia burst making your teammates seem like enemies.

Or the concept of switching shoulder perspectives to get a better view on your target.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
There's absolutely no strategy involved with softlock multiplayer. It's just bullet hell once you step out because everyone has that slight snap on first hard aim + name tags give you away instantly. I guess it's ok if you enjoy super easy kills.

Yeah also this guy sucks
like me on console.

kaskade

I've got it pre-ordered.

Not sure about all these graphical effects/scan lines popping up everywhere, can imagine it'll get a bit annoying after an hour or two. Any option to disable/tone them down?
I watched the IGN review and he said it's a bit weird at first but then it just kind of becomes part of the game and isn't so noticeable. I'm sure it could be different for different people.

Top Bottom