• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Just got to disc 2 and now I'm taking a break.
Ended in the strip club/whore house.

Damn, I am loving this game. I started playing with the all the defaults having soft-lock on because it didn't seem that bad. Until
I played the boat chase sequence and it became the "instant kill button".
So I ended up switching it back to free-aim.

The gunplay is so damn satisfying. I have found some good techniques that seem to be working for me. I use cover for painkillers and to build up my adrenaline meter. Once I have a decent amount I come out of cover with bullet time, clicking it on to line up head shots then clicking it off to conserve it. If are a decent number of enemies around I will leave it on and let it drain all the way before it runs out, then do a shootdodge if the area is clear, to get the fullest amount of time in slo-mo.

Also as stated before, the musical score is incredible.

Well I got the CE and I cant even get it until Thursday, if thats any sort of help. I thought it was coming out for iTunes til the 23rd or something...
Ah. Thanks. More waiting ;P

Alright, one more question: How's the performance on the 360 version? Any framerate issues or noticeable image quality problems? I'm waiting on the PC version but I'm not overly optimistic that it'll be optimized. The 360 version is my fallback.

Ah. Thanks. More waiting ;P

Alright, one more question: How's the performance on the 360 version? Any framerate issues or noticeable image quality problems? I'm waiting on the PC version but I'm not overly optimistic that it'll be optimized. The 360 version is my fallback.

Dude Im playing on the PS3 and I personally havent gotten any sound glitches as others have said and Ive gotten one sound glicth at very beginning (probably due to loading). If thats all I have to "complain" about, then the 360 version should be platinum, just like the PS3 version!

MMaRsu

Soo what to do tonight.. Watch Hard Boiled again for the second time in years OR play more Max Payne 2 on hard.

Also it kind of feels like I'm betraying Max by playing this third game on a console, I've always been a Max Payne pc gamer since the first one. Sadly my current PC really sucks but I would much rather play this on PC.

Soo what to do tonight.. Watch Hard Boiled again for the second time in years OR play more Max Payne 2 on hard.

Also it kind of feels like I'm betraying Max by playing this third game on a console, I've always been a Max Payne pc gamer since the first one. Sadly my current PC really sucks but I would much rather play this on PC.

If you can get your hands on "The Killer". That has one of the most amazing shootouts at the end.

SPOILERS!
http://youtu.be/WYz9rq0wnBA

jet1911

I rented the game today and I'll buy the console version at the end of the month, the game will clearly benefit from a higher framerate and mouse aiming. It's still really good thiugh. I love the gunplay, it's really satisfying! :)

Teknoman

Play abit on console while preparing to upgrade PC -> sell console version -> buy PC version.

Raptomex

congratsl As an honest to god fan, I cant really compare it. Its more of a GROWTH but man, what a fucking growth.
Idk if this will make sense to anybody but it seems Max himself carried over as very Noir-ish. But the world and atmosphere seem very hollywood action-like. Personally, I'm loving it so far.

Also, does anyone know the install size for both disks on 360?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Played partway through chapter 3 on PS3 before I had to leave for work. Controls and sensitivity on the default seemed pretty borked but once I messed with them a bit the game feels great. Once the flow of the game clicked it quickly became one of the most satisfying shooters I've played. I also LOL'd at
the demon baby soap opera
at the beginning of chapter 3. Good to see some of the crazy humor is still in despite what some others have said.

I feel like a scumbag for asking but anyone pixel counted / sussed out the AA used on the ps3 version?

Really didnt like the Low Res + blurry AA in past RAGE engine games.

Dont care for 360 comparisons but it would be nice to know if they improved there stuff.

Also what part of Rockstar made this? or is it Ubisoft style "everyone does a little here and there" style development?

MMaRsu

If you can get your hands on "The Killer". That has one of the most amazing shootouts at the end.

SPOILERS!
http://youtu.be/WYz9rq0wnBA

The Killer is right here in my dvd cabinet good sir ^^.
I think I used to have Hard Boiled but I cannot find it :(.

Gorilla Warfare Pack is now up on PSN for free. Wasn't that supposed to be a XBL pricing error, according to earlier in the thread?

I cant find it on the EU Psn :(

Looks like 720p with no AA to me. Definitely no blur fliter.

Someone earlier said the Ps3 version has a form of AA?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I feel like a scumbag for asking but anyone pixel counted / sussed out the AA used on the ps3 version?

Really didnt like the Low Res + blurry AA in past RAGE engine games.

Dont care for 360 comparisons but it would be nice to know if they improved there stuff.
Looks like 720p with no AA to me. Definitely no blur fliter.

Numpt3

Where did you order from? I think ShopTo are sending them tomorrow.

Shopto, I got an e-mail saying my card had been charged, checked my account and it says it's being processed. If it's posted tommorow and arrives on Thursday that's good enough for me. :)

Sure am glad I bought this and D3 seeing as how I have had plenty of time to play it thanks to Blizzard. I am on Chapter 5(I think?) now, really enjoying it. Definitely feels like Max Payne as far as the amount of damage Max takes. One mistake and you are done, which I think is awesome.

I actually think the Multi is really awesome, although I think either their servers are fucked or my internet is really shitty today because I keep getting dc'ed mid match. But from a gameplay perspective it is a ton of fun.

Edit:BTW to any of the GAF gang members, if you see me online (monkyofdoom) definitely feel free to send me a game invite. Although my mic is busted at the moment so I can't talk so just a heads up on that.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I'll be buying this game after work for PS3, but I'm wondering how big is the install? I think I only have like 3GB left and most installs are pretty huge. Anyone?

MMaRsu

I'll be buying this game after work for PS3, but I'm wondering how big is the install? I think I only have like 3GB left and most installs are pretty huge. Anyone?

5GB. Time to delete some old game installs bro :).

Add me on psn for some multi this weekend? MMaRsu is the PSN id :).

MMaRsu

Can someone point me to some more free aim multiplayer? I really want to watch more of this but the amount of hardlock/softlock vids are annoying.

mudkyp

PS3 version is really nice looking. The game is super great. It's totally Rockstar's spin on Max Payne, but I really like what they are bringing to it. Combat is intense and bullet management is key. Way more difficult than I expected.

Yo Gotti

Banned
I don't understand how people are having trouble with the controls. Started this on Hard today and I have no problems taking out 3-4 guys in a single dive so far. It feels like the perfect compromise between the weighty movement/fast camera speed of Gears and the fast movement but too-loose aiming sensitivity of Uncharted. A lot of TPS could learn from how precise aiming is done in the Free Aim mode of this game.

Only complaint I have so far is that Soft Lock, Hard Lock crap. It's bad enough that it's there at all, but why is this garbage included in multiplayer? That's the biggest mistake they could've made in regards to building a large and consistent community. I hope they patch that shit out.

Two quick thoughts on MP:

Free aim is the way to go. Soft lock makes hiding in cover then autolock-spraying some fool with an assault rifle far too easy, so people don't ever get close and start shoot-dodging each other. Free aim opens up more opportunities for cool shit to happen because things aren't quite as deadly. FORTUNATELY it seems like the teeming masses agree with me–based on last nights numbers, more people were playing in free aim then soft lock.

Your level means a lot in this game, for better or worse. If you are significantly higher level than your opponents you can pretty much expect to dominate. As a level 9, it didn't seem like level 2s had much of a chance against me, similarly myself first level 22s.

I don't understand how people are having trouble with the controls. Started this on Hard today and I have no problems taking out 3-4 guys in a single dive so far. It feels like the perfect compromise between the weighty movement/fast camera speed of Gears and the fast movement but too-loose aiming sensitivity of Uncharted. A lot of TPS could learn from how precise aiming is done in the Free Aim mode of this game.

Only complaint I have so far is that Soft Lock, Hard Lock crap. It's bad enough that it's there at all, but why is this garbage included in multiplayer? That's the biggest mistake they could've made in regards to building a large and consistent community. I hope they patch that shit out.

You don't have to play with hard/soft lock, it's just an option. And as the game goes on, the shootdodge will get you killed in certain situations, especially on Hard. I can take out several people in one shootdodge too, that's easy, but they better be the last ones, and I better have landed behind cover, or that's it. I'm still trying to find the right settings, because the default is too floaty.

iNvid02

amazon prime is brilliant and 1 day delivery has been 100% on time for me since I subscribed.
I guess I'll be getting it on 18th, no later and no earlier.

-viper-

Banned
How hard is this game? I remember Max Payne 2 was hard as fuck. I still haven't completed that game. I died many, many times in that game.

Top Bottom