• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Is it possible the controls are more responsive in MP? While watching a SP stream dude said in some points it has some fps slowdowns and affects aiming.
But when i watch MP, the maps have way less detail in them, probably to keep the fps at steady 30.

Raptomex

How hard is this game? I remember Max Payne 2 was hard as fuck. I still haven't completed that game. I died many, many times in that game.
It's challenging enough. I always start on normal mode (in this case I think it was called medium) for my first playthrough and I've died a few times. Maybe due to me because I'm still getting use to the controls but the challenge is definitely there. Harder difficulties are going to keep you occupied.

-viper-

Banned
It's challenging enough. I always start on normal mode (in this case I think it was called medium) for my first playthrough and I've died a few times. Maybe due to me because I'm still getting use to the controls but the challenge is definitely there. Harder difficulties are going to keep you occupied.
But does it feel cheap? I don't mind a challenge, provided it is doable (e.g. Killzone 2), but I hate games where the difficulty is so broken (e.g. Call of Duty games)

i just went to the microsoft store did the ms phone callenge and got a $25 gift card just by playing. will put it into buying this game

Raptomex

But does it feel cheap? I don't mind a challenge, provided it is doable (e.g. Killzone 2), but I hate games where the difficulty is so broken (e.g. Call of Duty games)
Well I'll say this, if you stand out in the open and you're not in bullettime you better aim and fire and aim well and quick or your you're going to get annihilated.

Simo

Is it possible the controls are more responsive in MP? While watching a SP stream dude said in some points it has some fps slowdowns and affects aiming.
But when i watch MP, the maps have way less detail in them, probably to keep the fps at steady 30.

For me it's been that way, like there's jarring difference between SP and MP to the point it takes me a while to get used to the controls when I jump from one mode to the next.

Can we mention how great Max Payne 3 looks? I just got to the docks level and it's beautiful.

For me it's been that way, like there's jarring difference between SP and MP to the point it takes me a while to get used to the controls when I jump from one mode to the next.

Can we mention how great Max Payne 3 looks? I just got to the docks level and it's beautiful.

Interesting. You on 360 or ps3?

I have died at least a hundred times while playing it on hard, let me put it that way.

My problem is, I'll finally get past a part where I've died 10 times in a row, only to get popped by some baddie hiding behind a crate around the corner, and I have to go through the same hell all over again. These checkpoints are brutal. Hard is a great challenge, but I can't wait to finish it and start over on Medium so I can actually enjoy the fire fights without cursing the screen.

OK, so I am picking this up from Redbox on my way home from work. Does it matter much if I haven't played the first 2 games? Admittedly, the only reason I am renting this is because I fell in love with the promotional artwork and the Health song featured in the TV commercial. Vanquish is one of my favorite games ever made, but other than that the only other 3rd person shooters I have enjoyed were RE4 and the EDF games. Hoping something about the game will hook me because it looks so damn cool.

Yo Gotti

Banned
You don't have to play with hard/soft lock, it's just an option. And as the game goes on, the shootdodge will get you killed in certain situations, especially on Hard. I can take out several people in one shootdodge too, that's easy, but they better be the last ones, and I better have landed behind cover, or that's it. I'm still trying to find the right settings, because the default is too floaty.

That's good. It's been a little too easy so far. I've died 3 times and 1 of those was messing around with exploding cars. The only issue I've had with aiming is when you're in cover, since the reticle is just a dot, it takes some getting used to to remember exactly where it's going to pop up.

Though, I've had PLENTY of times where I was outnumbered, running low on ammo and thought "Oh shit, I'm fucked" and out of the blue managed to pull off a life saving shot.

^^^ and yea, standing on top of the roof and looking out over Sao Paulo made me say wow a few times. It's a gorgeous game.

redhot_

Not liking the multiplayer AT ALL. Shit feels like im drunk, bumping into everything, getting stuck. very wonky and clumsy.

-viper-

Banned
Well I'll say this, if you stand out in the open and you're not in bullettime you better aim and fire and aim well and quick or your you're going to get annihilated.
Sounds like MP2 to me.

As long as the difficulty is balanced. e.g. if you get killed in a few shots, then so should the enemies. One review mentioned bullet sponge enemies were numerous torwards the end of the game.

Also, how are the controls? GTA4 for example had clunky and terrible aiming. Would you say the controls are as fluid as Uncharted 2 for example?

Raptomex

OK, so I am picking this up from Redbox on my way home from work. Does it matter much if I haven't played the first 2 games? Admittedly, the only reason I am renting this is because I fell in love with the promotional artwork and the Health song featured in the TV commercial. Vanquish is one of my favorite games ever made, but other than that the only other 3rd person shooters I have enjoyed were RE4 and the EDF games. Hoping something about the game will hook me because it looks so damn cool.
You don't need to play the first 2. The story kind of continues here from what I've played but it's more of like a separate thing. You could always read up on MP1 and 2 if you're really interested.

That's good. It's been a little too easy so far. I've died 3 times and 1 of those was messing around with exploding cars. The only issue I've had with aiming is when you're in cover, since the reticle is just a dot, it takes some getting used to to remember exactly where it's going to pop up.

Though, I've had PLENTY of times where I was outnumbered, running low on ammo and thought "Oh shit, I'm fucked" and out of the blue managed to pull off a life saving shot.

^^^ and yea, standing on top of the roof and looking out over Sao Paulo made me say wow a few times. It's a gorgeous game.

I wish there was an option to change the reticule; it does get lost at times.

I'm rocking bald Max right now, and yeah, the game looks stunning at times. I've gotten somewhat used to the overdone cinematic effects, but still wish they were toned down somewhat. The favela areas are tough; I'm stuck right now in a spot with enemies on rooftops, in doorways, all over the place, and it's pissing me off to no end!

I'm also having freezing problems. The game's locked up on me 3 times so far, mostly on the 2nd disk.

MMaRsu

I hope you're not picking it up for 360 otherwise enjoy your half game.

I hope a quicksave feature can be patched in for PC users.. maybe even console users if R* wants to, but I doubt they will.

When I replay this on PC it will be glorious. Too bad it's probably not as moddable as let's say MP2 was.

I wish there was an option to change the reticule; it does get lost at times.

There's no way to change the reticule for single player? That's just lazy.

MercuryLS

Banned
Man, these enemies have good aim. I'm playing on normal and this isn't like your typical shooter when the enemies miss 4 out of 5 bullets. Many times their first or second shot on you will connect-and will do massive damage. The difficulty is kinda refreshing.

I don't understand how people are having trouble with the controls. Started this on Hard today and I have no problems taking out 3-4 guys in a single dive so far. It feels like the perfect compromise between the weighty movement/fast camera speed of Gears and the fast movement but too-loose aiming sensitivity of Uncharted. A lot of TPS could learn from how precise aiming is done in the Free Aim mode of this game.

Only complaint I have so far is that Soft Lock, Hard Lock crap. It's bad enough that it's there at all, but why is this garbage included in multiplayer? That's the biggest mistake they could've made in regards to building a large and consistent community. I hope they patch that shit out.

Having played videogames for over 20 years, I for one really do not like Free Aim, why use that when you have Soft Lock.

To each his own, okay?

soultron

Banned
The manual included with this game is fucking fantastic. It details everything and has beautiful full-colour pages. The little details like this are why Rockstar is one of my favourite mega dev/pubs out there.

Tattooth

I am watching a multiplayer livestream and the guy is using dual desert eagles, and he is tearing everyone else up! When are they unlocked?

taoofjord

Just played the 360 version for about an hour. Game seems awesome but the framerate is terrible and makes me motion sick :( Perhaps I'll try installing the game..

So do these 'atmospheric' effects or what not last the whole game? It's applied a little much....

I don't mind em' from time to time, but it's happening every 2 seconds right now in the beginning.

I hope you're not picking it up for 360 otherwise enjoy your half game.

I hope a quicksave feature can be patched in for PC users.. maybe even console users if R* wants to, but I doubt they will.

When I replay this on PC it will be glorious. Too bad it's probably not as moddable as let's say MP2 was.

There's no way to change the reticule for single player? That's just lazy

I stand corrected. You can change it to weapon specific, though I don't know what effect it will have. Just found it right now, about to see how it looks.

Raptomex

I really hope I can run this on my PC when it comes out. Maxed. 8gb RAM installed. GTX 560ti and an i7. I'm within the range of minimum and recommended but still, I'm nervous.

MercuryLS

Banned
Two more observations from my short playtime:

1) Revolver + UZI is a deadly two-handed combo. Revolver = super accurate and powerful, UZI = a bit of spray and pray in case your aim is off.

2) The music is bangin'. Damn. I'm on the mission on the rooftops, and the way the bass pump and builds as you make it through the level is amazing.

Truant

GTA4 ran fine when you were indoors, so seeing this is a corridor shooter, it should run a bit smoother. Who knows, though. It's Rockstar.

MMaRsu

I stand corrected. You can change it to weapon specific, though I don't know what effect it will have. Just found it right now, about to see how it looks.

Oh sweet! I hope there's various different ones :).

Having played videogames for over 20 years, I for one really do not like Free Aim, why use that when you have Soft Lock.

To each his own, okay?

Sure to each his own but...

on softlock all you have to do is point and shoot? You don't even have to aim just hold two triggers... How is that fun at all? No skill involved.

Arcteryx

woohoo finally got things installed an updated. Can't hop online atm, but I'll be on later tonight(PS3) to free-aim some bitches.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is it possible to
save the girl
in the boat
chase
? I left one guy alive... and they
got away

legbone

The manual included with this game is fucking fantastic. It details everything and has beautiful full-colour pages. The little details like this are why Rockstar is one of my favourite mega dev/pubs out there.

yep, my copy just arrived. rockstar really is the best when it comes to presentation. i really appreciate a nice manual.

Raptomex

yep, my copy just arrived. rockstar really is the best when it comes to presentation. i really appreciate a nice manual.
Yes. I love Rockstar for this reason. All GTA manuals are top notch. I miss the good old days when manuals actually had things to read, character descriptions, level listing, enemy listing, etc.

Oh, this is a fantastic touch. The music in the main menu when you start up the game changes based on what level you're on. And the new theme for Max is great. Sounds like the second, but heavier and more ominous. I'm on the football pitch level and the soft piano music in the main menu is so good.

Music in-game has been so awesome too. Back from class. Time to pick up where I left off.

Top Bottom