• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
max-payne-3-perf-chart.png
Yikes. MP3 sure is demanding.

Definitely gonna try to beat SP this weekend. I was planning on maybe getting to rank 20 in multiplayer, but I doubt that's gonna happen now that I have Diablo 3 and Max Payne to play.

willooi

Looks like the street date has been broken in Australia. Both EB/JB sites showing as "out now".

Indeed, a friend of mine has picked it up. But here I am at work, refreshing the order page on the site every minute to see if they've shipped the damned thing. Need it now!

The pacing is well done for a game this length. I also enjoyed how Max gets progressively more angry. Mcaffrey's mocap went a long way in selling Max as an actual character.

MMaRsu

Lol im playing this game like a madman, shootdodging all over the place, headshotting fools left and right.. barely using cover. FUCK YES.

Often I'll replay a section if I get a last man standing and feel I can improve on the section, Ill just die on purpose lol.

You know I'm watching some streams of people playing parts of the single player and they keep dying. But they never seem to use bullet time or at least not often enough. I figured with this being Max Payne and all people would be using this constantly since it's awesome and it's one of the biggest things that sets MP apart from the rest. Instead everyone seems to neglect it.

MMaRsu

Playing this game on 360 makes me so sad. I know I'll end up buying the PC version as well.

Same here, once I get a good enough PC ill buy it for sure on PC. Max deserves to be played with mouse+kb.

You know I'm watching some streams of people playing parts of the single player and they keep dying. But they never seem to use bullet time or at least not often enough. I figured with this being Max Payne and all people would be using this constantly since it's awesome and it's one of the biggest things that sets MP apart from the rest. Instead everyone seems to neglect it.

I think most players are either stupid or have just been conditioned to use cover shit only.

And now you know why every shooter tries to be Call of Duty. Shooting, cover, bullet time, and shoot dodge is 2 mechanics too many. How I'm 'posed to 'member all dat?

Arcteryx

They might be idiots, but I've found myself not using the dive system very much. Seems like the environments are much more cluttered(read: realistic) compared to MP1/2, so I mainly use slo-mode while running/in cover.

Teknoman

why is that?

Free aim feels ok with a gamepad, but looking at how you use the same aiming style in previous MP games, and everything just felt so accurate with mouse, playing MP with analog aiming just seems a little...loose(?) imo. It could just be people mostly being used to playing MP on PC.

soultron

Banned
And now you know why every shooter tries to be Call of Duty. Shooting, cover, bullet time, and shoot dodge is 2 mechanics too many. How I'm 'posed to 'member all dat?

Haha.

The cover and movement systems are a few moves away (SD into roll, SD into cover, roll into cover, prone roll, wrap corners in cover, swat turns from cover to cover, and so on) from being absolutely perfect, but I feel that whichever Rockstar (North?) made this did a great job incorporating cover and stuff like 360* prone control.

I imagine that using the bit of slide you get at the end of a SD would be amazing if it could be transitioned into getting into cover. /dreams

I'm sure they considered all of this though. Just a matter of time and budget.

I find it wonky how they didn't include (hand)grenades in SP that you can use (You get them in MP, right? Haven't played MP yet.), but it's great that the enemies don't overuse them at the same time.

Free aim feels ok with a gamepad, but looking at how you use the same aiming style in previous MP games, and everything just felt so accurate with mouse, playing MP with analog aiming just seems a little...loose(?) imo. It could just be people mostly being used to playing MP on PC.

oh sure, aiming was always much and much easier with a mouse. It's almost instantly.

DaMan121

Yep, don't think it will be as difficult on the PC as the console brethren. This is looking like my first full price purchase on Steam..

I'm wondering how the heavier, momentum based control will feel on a keyboard though. MP1 and 2 had very instant movement that fit with a keyboard, but moving in MP3 feels great with a stick IMO. Very natural. We'll see.

soultron

Banned
The soundtrack really takes this to another level. The whole thing reminds me of a Michael Mann movie. So good.

Walking with a 2H weapon in your off-hand and a pistol raised while the music is blaring is the most badass I've ever felt (in a game with gunz) in over 20 years of playing video games.

Fezan

2 hours in and not enjoying it as much as i have hoped.feels more like cover based shooter than traditional maxypayne

RoylAsult

One complain i do i have, maybe im just dumb, but there is no grenade button. Havving to hit L1, then R1 real quick, then R2 to throw it... is kind of annoying and takes a while sometimes. But one thing about grenades i feel if you use the assist aim option (forgot what its called) the grenades seem to lock on a little but because there really is no way to aim them since there is no arc or pressure sensative throw or anything... this is just what i have found so far, if im wrong on anything here please tell me :) will make it a lot easier for me lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
One complain i do i have, maybe im just dumb, but there is no grenade button. Havving to hit L1, then R1 real quick, then R2 to throw it... is kind of annoying and takes a while sometimes. But one thing about grenades i feel if you use the assist aim option (forgot what its called) the grenades seem to lock on a little but because there really is no way to aim them since there is no arc or pressure sensative throw or anything... this is just what i have found so far, if im wrong on anything here please tell me :) will make it a lot easier for me lol

Tapping the weapon wheel button will throw a grenade.

Salsa

ok GAF GO!:

I love Max Payne and ive played 1 and 2 several times over and over

1) is this a good Max Payne game or just a good solid non-memorable shooter?
2) is it THAT good as to being a must-buy on release day on PC at 60 dollarinos?

MMaRsu

2 hours in and not enjoying it as much as i have hoped.feels more like cover based shooter than traditional maxypayne

Dont use cover then..problem solved

To the poster above personaly as a fan of mp1&2 yes this is a good max payne game.

If the online is as good as people are saying I may have to grab this on PS3 instead of PC.

It would feel...wrong but online communities on games like this for PC don't last very long.

JB1981

- Uncharted 2
- Bayonetta
- Red Dead Redemption
- Max Payne 3

The four games so far this gen that have put a genuine smile on my face because of how much fun I was having playing them. So good.

Sounds like Rockstar's done it again. Looking forward to playing it

dreamfall

Gahhhh, I still don’t know if I want the PS3 version or the 360 version.

How is the content split with the 360 version? What is on disc 1 and 2?

Disc 1 is the first 6 Chapters of Single Player + Multiplayer. Disc 2 is the rest of single player! It isn't bad at all to switch, but some players are definitely bothered by it. Double dipping for the PC I hope, so I don't mind!

Man I had my best sequence ever in multi...

Gang Wars: We are targeting the leader and I see 3 guys right below me ( I was up stairs) and said fuck it...i'm diving. So I did and got 3 straight headshots with the shotgun including killing the vip.

It was a "yeeeeessssssss" moment.

Top Bottom