• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

max-payne-3-perf-chart.png

bah

i5 2500k
570gtx
8 gigs ram

probably a loose (with dips below) 60 fps @ 1080 and "high" settings, I bet high is just below a "maximum" setting.

I just don't see in screenshots or videos why it needs that level of power?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Holy shit, I never knew this and I've had the game since Saturday. Now, the only problem with them is making it so that your character doesn't throw it with the strength of a 7 year old girl

You have to aim pretty high to get any real distance.

Arcteryx

hahhah just bet on myself to get first kill....had the auto grenade launcher...got 4 at the start

herewego.gif

edit: just saw your request mmarsu, tried to join but it wouldn't let me

What was so bad about it?

I had a easy time with it and I played on Hard.
It wasn't hard, it was that it was a
typical video game on rails turret sequence with infinite ammo, inexplicably large number of dudes coming from everywhere to fight you and ridiculous Michael Bay style explosions
. I just felt it was unnecessary, generic and not nearly as good as the rest of the game (so far.)

This game balances shotguns better than any other I have played. You'll hurt them hard close and die at long distance. My first custom sports a mac-10 as a side piece for this reason.

Teknoman

Walking with a 2H weapon in your off-hand and a pistol raised while the music is blaring is the most badass I've ever felt (in a game with gunz) in over 20 years of playing video games.

Try shoot dodging and then sliding down stairs sideways while popping people with dual revolvers.

Teknoman

bah

i5 2500k
570gtx
8 gigs ram

probably a loose (with dips below) 60 fps @ 1080 and "high" settings, I bet high is just below a "maximum" setting.

I just don't see in screenshots or videos why it needs that level of power?

It might not, considering thats straight from Nvidia's website. I think we should wait until actual PC reviews/performance tests surface (just because I want my 4890 to perform decently).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Game makes me want a new Kane & Lynch also. I really, really like these super scummy urban setting shooting games. You don't see them as much as you used to.

Fjordson

Won my first multiplayer match. Such a blast. Was using the shotgun, diving all over the place.

On another note, when can people download the soundtrack? Technically the 17th, right? Hopefully it goes up at midnight.

Game makes me want a new Kane & Lynch also. I really, really like these super scummy urban setting shooting games. You don't see them as much as you used to.

Apart from MP and K&L, what other scummy urban shooting games did we see before?

I ask as a fellow fan of the sub-genre.

I don't know if its a glitch or some crap but those windows infront of the stairs in the hoboken multiplayer map that a bulletproof are really annoying. I if they patch the multiplayer they fix that.

Glassboy

Apart from MP and K&L, what other scummy urban shooting games did we see before?

I ask as a fellow fan of the sub-genre.

Freedom Fighters? That was last gen, so the fidelity of scum and dirt is not as fine as current gen games. Maybe my memory deceives me. hmmm

How's the netcode and general online performance? Is it competent in allocating you to suitable lobbies, i.e. low ping and whatnot? Hit detection and so on?

I’ve decided to pick up the 360 version.

Having two discs is a bit of a pain, but the better controller for me wins in the end.

Also, in this comparison video that’s been posted in here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MHWIhUISDM

At the 1:00 minute mark the PS3 version is missing ferns hanging from the ceiling. As time goes on I’m sure the 360 version will be considered better graphically. So noticing that detail kinda pushed me over the edge as small as it seems.

Lol im playing this game like a madman, shootdodging all over the place, headshotting fools left and right.. barely using cover. FUCK YES.

Often I'll replay a section if I get a last man standing and feel I can improve on the section, Ill just die on purpose lol.

Sorry I had to keep ignoring your Max Payne 3 request, but I REALLY like the story after part II hit. Tomorrow for sure though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Haha.

The cover and movement systems are a few moves away (SD into roll, SD into cover, roll into cover, prone roll, wrap corners in cover, swat turns from cover to cover, and so on) from being absolutely perfect, but I feel that whichever Rockstar (North?) made this did a great job incorporating cover and stuff like 360* prone control.

I imagine that using the bit of slide you get at the end of a SD would be amazing if it could be transitioned into getting into cover. /dreams

I'm sure they considered all of this though. Just a matter of time and budget.

I find it wonky how they didn't include (hand)grenades in SP that you can use (You get them in MP, right? Haven't played MP yet.), but it's great that the enemies don't overuse them at the same time.

Yeah, no grenades feels weird for a lot of scenarios. Then again I'm going back and forth between this and Vanquish, which means a lot of slow mo shooting. Vanquish has taught me that every game should let you shoot your own grenades before they hit the ground, that would feel amazing here. Throw grenade, backwards shoot dodge, glorious slowmotion explosive death.

G_Berry

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked a million times.
I noticed digital foundry are yet to have a face off between the versions.

What's the general concensus of which version looks / runs the best?

edit!! just noticed the vid above.

Sorry if this has been asked a million times.
I noticed digital foundry are yet to have a face off between the versions.

What's the general concensus of which version looks / runs the best?

edit!! just noticed the vid above.

The 360 version is the safest bet so long as having 2 discs doesn't bother you.

I’ve decided to pick up the 360 version.

Having two discs is a bit of a pain, but the better controller for me wins in the end.

Also, in this comparison video that’s been posted in here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MHWIhUISDM

At the 1:00 minute mark the PS3 version is missing ferns hanging from the ceiling. As time goes on I’m sure the 360 version will be considered better graphically. So noticing that detail kinda pushed me over the edge as small as it seems.
Looks the same to me.

How's the netcode and general online performance? Is it competent in allocating you to suitable lobbies, i.e. low ping and whatnot? Hit detection and so on?

Considering you only need like 4 shots to take someone down, sometimes less, it's been really solid IMO. With all the bullet time and grenades going off all over the place, I've never gotten killed or gotten a kill I would classify as "laggy" in any way. Most shots hit immediately, and stuff happens exactly as they should.

It's fun, but hard to say if it will stay active. There are currently on PS3:
~75 Payne Killer
~250 Gang Wars
~160 DM
~350 TDM
~135 LTDM
~35 LDM

Hope the community grows. The multiplayer does look fun but I was kind of expecting thousands of players online.

I think Red Dead had (or still has) a very active community.

Looks the same to me.

Not at the one minute mark. You can clearly see that the ferns are missing in the PS3 version.

Also, when Max goes outside the door, the balcony on the PS3 version is a little more jaggied.

Extremely small stuff – and honestly not a big deal at all. But small differences can be seen....

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Not at the one minute mark. You can clearly see that the ferns are missing in the PS3 version.

Also, when Max goes outside the door, the balcony on the PS3 version is a little more jaggied.

Extremely small stuff – and honestly not a big deal at all. But small differences can be seen....

I see the issue with the ferns. Very odd.

About the jaggies, it should be the about the same on both since they are both using some post process AA. Most likely FXAA.

Here are some screenshot comparisons:

http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-max-payne-3-screenshot-comparison/

Looks equal other than the typical saturated 360 look.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hope the community grows. The multiplayer does look fun but I was kind of expecting thousands of players online.

I think Red Dead had (or still has) a very active community.

Here's the 360 side right now:

~180 Rookie DM (~100 FA)
~800 Rookie TDM (~480 FA)
~200 Payne Killer (~150 free aim)
~750 Gang Wars (~750 FA)
~340 DM (~200 FA)
~1050 TDM (~840 FA)
~500 LTD (~400 FA)
~100 LDM (~75 FA)

They filter by aim, so there's actually a split of two sets of playlists which might make it seem lower than it is. Also, the fact it's nearly 1am EST in the middle of the week probably isn't helping. :p

Arcteryx

Oh crap, good call. I was looking at free aim, here's lock mode too(PS3):
113 Payne Killer
334 Gang Wars
223 DM
550 TDM
237 LTDM
44 LDM

This game is good when you have a big open area with multiple levels to run around and shoot dudes in.

This game is not good when you're being funnelled down a hallway and dudes are jumping out of doorways in front of you Call of Duty style.

You should look into the profession of READING MINDS. I love that shit too. I only owned Dog Days for a day and I regret trading that shit in. Gonna repurhase it soon for a whopping eight dollars.

The
riverboat
chapter isn't very good. I liked the beginning as I thought it was gorgeous but it just felt like Uncharted, a series that I enjoy but obviously isn't Max Payne.

Rengoku

Ok, I have to ask. What the hell with the laser sight weapons, how can they actually be worse!? The regular reticle is hard enough to see as it is, but the laser sights are even worse. Surely I'm not the only one having trouble with this. Especially later in the game where they become more abundant. I actually have to go out of my way to find regular weapons cus I simply cant aim with the laser sights.

Top Bottom