• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Fjordson

I haven't beaten the campaign yet, been away for a few days, but from what I've played, I can definitely agree with this. I've really enjoyed Max Payne 3, but GTAV is on the way and if MP3 and RDR are any indication, then it should be something spectacular in my opinion. Especially, if you are a fan of Rockstar's work.
Totally. I'm already imagining what Los Santos will be like. Plus new cars, planes, the new radio stations, a new Lazlow show, new story...but that's all for another thread :lol

JaxJag

Banned
Why did so many reviews complain about the difficulty? I'm on chapter 7, using free aim, playing on hard, and haven't gotten stuck, or hardly died TBH.

There's tons of painkillers everywhere, and plenty of cover. I just don't get it, were they playing it like Call of Duty on Normal or something?

leng jai

Thought the framerate on PS3 was a bit iffy at the beginning but it seems to smooth out. Graphically it looks quite great, I can't imagine the 360 version looking much better. RDR looks and performs far worse in comparison.

Dimorphic

Super impressed with the multi. I normally hate TPS multiplayer (Gears of War excluded) but Max Payne 3 has me playing. It feels natural, I had a match on the bus depot map and it was like a proper shoot out, both teams sticking to their spawn side of the map taking shots at each other. It feels realistic.

i swear, i just have 3 issues with this game.

1.) my level keeps restarting.
2.) i can never load the crews tab (to see the members)
3.) there is always one guy in MP, that lags so bad. he/she just runs around. doesnt shoot, doesnt do anything... just... runs.

Choc

Banned
Fuck the housers piss me off sometimes with the STUPID decisions they make

oh you want to play multiplayer? sure. Wait you want to play the most popular modes? you need to unlock that via grinds

no one playing the modes that are unlocked right away? Tough shit

Totally shit game design.

or am i missing something

its still shit that i even need to make this post. Locking multiplayer modes is dumb, especially when they are the most popular post launch. Way to encourage new players you fuckwits.

Sidzed2

Fuck the housers piss me off sometimes with the STUPID decisions they make

oh you want to play multiplayer? sure. Wait you want to play the most popular modes? you need to unlock that via grinds

no one playing the modes that are unlocked right away? Tough shit

Totally shit game design.

or am i missing something

its still shit that i even need to make this post. Locking multiplayer modes is dumb, especially when they are the most popular post launch. Way to encourage new players you fuckwits.

Hmmm, methinks you may be slightly overreacting. Relax.

Choc

Banned
Hmmm, methinks you may be slightly overreacting. Relax.

i want to play fucking multiplayer on a friday night

there is no one playing the unlocked from start modes, everyone on non unlocked

so i cant play

its stupid bullshit game design.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Does this game continue the Rockstar tradition of the 360 version being better than the PS3? I'm thinking of picking the game up this weekend.

Someone pointed out earlier in a comparison video that at one point the room had two plants hanging from the ceiling on 360 that weren't there at all on PS3. So it might have lost random enviromental details like that to keep performance level, but beyond that they seem to be pretty damn close.

Choc

Banned
so because of stupid rockstars game design decision

done with this game

and people wonder why people trade games in? goodness me. The fact i can't play multiplayer on a Friday night is a fantastic reason Rockstar

I have a question, i will get the game today i think. But i will be staying at a friend's home that have no internet. Do you need to be connected to PSN to play the arcade mode?

haikira

Hey guys. What's the word, when it comes to which console version to go for? If they're both roughly equal, I think I'll go for PS3. I normally just pick up 360 games these days, if they're multiplatform games with a clear advantage, or exclusives.

Fuck, I now desperately want to double-dip despite the PC release being 2 weeks away. I have so little self-control.

I was going to wait for the PC version of Arkham City, but ended up picking up the 360 version on release. I did double-dip, but it was in December during the Winter DD bombafest. This is only two weeks, so I should be fine. Plus I've spent a shitton of money this month in a post-exam binge, so I need to be cheap.

hlhbk

So what is the overall feeling about this game from fans of the first two? I always thought MP3 didn't look or feel like a true sequel. Is this true?

just bought it. PS3 version. Just installed it but can't play right now (my 4 year old is sitting next to me..:p). I hope it's a good port and not too jaggy. Hate jaggies...

G_Berry

Banned
As good as the single player is, it's no wonder there are no other fellow Aussies playing the mp on my friends list.

the lag is fucking awful. matchmaking is still as shit a it ever was for non us residents.

get the drop on someone? cool! unload a clip into their back only to have them turn around and kill you in 1 or 2 shots.

Fuck the mp in this game. Trade in after sp completed Fo Sho!

What aim sensitivity settings are people using?

I'm playing through on free-aim mode and loving the gun play, just feels a bit sluggish at the moment!

As good as the single player is, it's no wonder there are no other fellow Aussies playing the mp on my friends list.

the lag is fucking awful. matchmaking is still as shit a it ever was for non us residents.

get the drop on someone? cool! unload a clip into their back only to have them turn around and kill you in 1 or 2 shots.

Fuck the mp in this game. Trade in after sp completed Fo Sho!

Hearing this makes me happy with my decision to trade the game in. Cheers for the feedback, Aussie brooooo.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, not really getting why the multiplayer is so buggy. It's really fun when it works but there are some crippling bugs. I've shot people to death, seen them fall over with no health, and then see them pop back to live or do that model-loading Christ-pose and warp around.

Also, a hard freeze tonight. It's really weird. The campaign is so polished, in my experience.

Dat's me!

You guys decimated us, that one game.

wwm0nkey

Ok just beat it and this game is fucking amazing. Great story and good length all around. The multiplayer mode seems to be doing just fine as well so it should be around for awhile.

This game IS hard.

But the shooting really helps takeaway any sense of repetition (at least early on).

I'm also loving the rotatable camera, keep finding myself pausing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Played a bit further last night, and man, is it really taking off. So many awesome set pieces and generally great action.

Contrary to reports, I'm finding myself performing a lot of shoot dodging and slow motion without relying solely on the cover system. It feels great. Can't wait to play more!

So my first run should be finished today. What a fucking ride. All in all I'm guessing it'll run me about 20 hours, minus 4 or 5 spent on here and on the pause menu and I spent a great deal of time hunting for collectables. I've gotten at least half of the golden guns so far and most of the clues.

Question on the Chapter select..Does it allow you to change the difficulty and then go to a certain section, like the slow mo shooting gallery trophy sections? (cause that would be a great help). Also awesome for golden gun pieces and clues if you can just jump from section to section...

Has anybody put some serious time into Gang Wars? I played it for the first time and it's actually a ton of fun, but I was getting absolutely destroyed cause I had no idea what I was doing.

Fuck, I now desperately want to double-dip despite the PC release being 2 weeks away. I have so little self-control.

I was going to wait for the PC version of Arkham City, but ended up picking up the 360 version on release. I did double-dip, but it was in December during the Winter DD bombafest. This is only two weeks, so I should be fine. Plus I've spent a shitton of money this month in a post-exam binge, so I need to be cheap.

together we can hold out.

Bullet time, intense combat, satisfaction from shooting enemies, a great story, replayability. At least that's why I love it.

Bingo. I guess if someone is playing through it with the mindset of having to mow down a wave of bad guys to get to the next part then they're not going to have a great time with this game.

I look at every room full of bad guys as an opportunity to pull off the most satisfyingly incredible kills I can. Kind of like making my very own mini action movie each time. I've been replaying certain parts just to see how guys react when I try new ways of dispatching them. It's fun as hell.

madmackem

So my first run should be finished today. What a fucking ride. All in all I'm guessing it'll run me about 20 hours, minus 4 or 5 spent on here and on the pause menu and I spent a great deal of time hunting for collectables. I've gotten at least half of the golden guns so far and most of the clues.

Question on the Chapter select..Does it allow you to change the difficulty and then go to a certain section, like the slow mo shooting gallery trophy sections? (cause that would be a great help). Also awesome for golden gun pieces and clues if you can just jump from section to section...

Are the golden guns for use in mp?.

Loving this game so far, two quick questions though.

1. I'm only about two hours in but have yet to earn a trophy. Maybe I'm just used to "complete chapter 1" type trophies, but I don't like that I haven't earned any yet. Anyone else feel that way?

2. How do I melee someone in single player, and also what does the "x" button do on PS3? He maybe kind of runs, but it's not much faster than not pushing it.

AEREC

1. I'm only about two hours in but have yet to earn a trophy. Maybe I'm just used to "complete chapter 1" type trophies, but I don't like that I haven't earned any yet. Anyone else feel that way?

2. How do I melee someone in single player, and also what does the "x" button do on PS3? He maybe kind of runs, but it's not much faster than not pushing it.

1. It was a while before I earned my first trophy/achievement...The first one I got was finishing Part I which ended around chapter 5 or 6. Most of them just have high requirements (10 melee kills, 10 shootdodge kills in a row, etc...) so they wont start rolling in until later in the game. I like games that don't just give away easy trophies/achievements.

2. On the 360 you it the Y button when you next to someone (im guessing it's the triangle button on the PS3). Also X (A on the 360) just makes you run a little faster...and double tapping it will make Max roll.

leng jai

I didn't get a trophy with 5 hours of play. Amazing.

Top Bottom