• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Damn it, the single player is so good.

Started it up just to test out the gunplay and feel. I'm now at the end of chapter 3 and had to turn it off because I want to play through properly on my big TV.

MMaRsu

Super impressed with the multi. I normally hate TPS multiplayer (Gears of War excluded) but Max Payne 3 has me playing. It feels natural, I had a match on the bus depot map and it was like a proper shoot out, both teams sticking to their spawn side of the map taking shots at each other. It feels realistic.

Sounds like a mad boring game you had there.. both teams sticking to their spawns shooting across the map? That's not how this game is played :p.

Tried the arcade mode. hmm...well ...unskippable cutscenes are killing this mode. there's at least one in every level.

good work, rockstar.

They are there to hide the loading. Almost all movies can be skipped in Arcade mode bro.

How do you melee someone online?

Press triangle on Ps3 or Y on 360 I guess.

Arcteryx

Sounds like a mad boring game you had there.. both teams sticking to their spawns shooting across the map? That's not how this game is played :p.

They are there to hide the loading. Almost all movies can be skipped in Arcade mode bro.

haha yea, if you aren't diving off the roof onto buses...you're doing it wrong. Saw someone doing that last night and he actually topped the scoreboard for the other team.

Game would be the perfect candidate for a replay system.

Dimorphic

Sounds like a mad boring game you had there.. both teams sticking to their spawns shooting across the map? That's not how this game is played :p

There were some gunfights in the middle of the map and corridor bullet time when some of us got brave but it was still an awesome match. There was a sense of actual danger.

Jarmel

Banned
Finished the game. Rather mixed on the experience as a whole. Favela part was pretty clearly the worst bit and reminded me of Mexico in RDR although I do like the small little culture bits. The game certainly picks up steam as I liked the last three chapters a lot especially
the police station
. Problem is that whole section ran on way too long and Max's movement speed made me just want to rush through that level.

Story as a whole was for the most part the weakest of the three. Pretty clear early on where the story was going and events seemed to drag on for a lot longer than I thought they would. Someone in this thread said Lake was a better writer than Houser and I definitely agree. The story is fairly pedestrian and seems to miss the flair the previous games had. I'm rather mixed on the cutscene style and felt they didn't do anything with it.

Characters were also extremely weak. None of the characters really interested me and saving Fabiola became rather tedious at a point and something the game should have resolved earlier. All of the other characters weren't particularly interesting and some of the side characters felt really out of place like the police officer.

Gameplay is another mixed bag all over the place. The game is primarily a cover shooter with bullet time certainly being most useful in cover to peek out and get a quick headshot. The game mechanics doesn't feel as smooth as say Uncharted and the fights themselves are rather boring.

MMaRsu

Finished the game. Rather mixed on the experience as a whole. Favela part was pretty clearly the worst bit and reminded me of Mexico in RDR although I do like the small little culture bits.

Gameplay is another mixed bag all over the place. The game is primarily a cover shooter with bullet time certainly being most useful in cover to peek out and get a quick headshot. The game mechanics doesn't feel as smooth as say Uncharted and the fights themselves are rather boring.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong soooo wrong.

Guess if you played it that way the gameplay would seem like a mixed bag. Stop using cover so much... I only use it to catch my breath for less than 2/3 seconds and then I pop out bullettime on, shooting dudes in the head left and right and ending it off with a shootdodge.

Eh I guess if you play this like a cover shooter only popping out to give dudes a headshot in bullettime and then staying in cover, man that sounds boring as shit.

Also how can the favela's be the worst part?

Just got it, and I'm having a blast. I never played the previous Max Payne titles so I'm not sure if Max is supposed to be a stupid, pathetic idiot. Almost everything this guy does is completely illogical, lacking any tactical advantage, and makes you feel sorry for him. It's like he's stuck in a shitty B-Action movie where he does cliche action movie stuff and he's self aware of it.

I'm at Chapter VIII and shit is getting crazy, I can't wait to beat this gem :)

Footos22

You're playing Max Payne like your playing as a soldier on mass effect 3.

Your doing it wrong. Jesus.

If your not diving all over the shop sliding across the floor backwards or flying down stairs headfirst john woo style. I really dont know why you bothered to be honest.

Jarmel

Banned

Guess if you played it that way the gameplay would seem like a mixed bag. Stop using cover so much... I only use it to catch my breath for less than 2/3 seconds and then I pop out bullettime on, shooting dudes in the head left and right and ending it off with a shootdodge.

Eh I guess if you play this like a cover shooter only popping out to give dudes a headshot in bullettime and then staying in cover, man that sounds boring as shit.

Beat the game on hard, you can't run out in the open. Hell even in cover your health gets ripped to shreds. You can mess around with it a little bit but due to the damage, movement system, way the encounters/levels work, and enemy AI, the game plays out primarily as a cover shooter.

The favelas had the least interesting scenario encounters and dragged on for much longer than I would have liked.

AEREC

On 360 do you only have to switch out discs for the story campaign or do you have to switch out the discs for arcade mode too.

I though I heard somewhere that arcade mode would not have all the cutscenes so I was kinda hoping it would eliminate the need for disc 2.

MMaRsu

Beat the game on hard, you can't run out in the open. Hell even in cover your health gets ripped to shreds. You can mess around with it a little bit but due to the damage, movement system, way the encounters/levels work, and enemy AI, the game plays out primarily as a cover shooter.

The favelas had the least interesting scenario encounters and dragged on for much longer than I would have liked.

Well I'm glad I started on medium. I barely ever use cover. I'm pretty sure once I finish that and move onto hard, I still wont be using as much cover.

There's a reason there's an old school mode that takes cover away.. it's very much possible to finish the game without using it ( probably... I HOPE? :p )

On 360 do you only have to switch out discs for the story campaign or do you have to switch out the discs for arcade mode too.

I though I heard somewhere that arcade mode would not have all the cutscenes so I was kinda hoping it would eliminate the need for disc 2.

Campaign is spread over two discs.

Yeah, I agree; however, I was playing it on Hard (I like challenge) but because the enemies are bullet sponges and you die very fast, I switched it to Easy and now I'm flying around, dual wielding, slow-mo killing shit like one of those cheesy action films. It's making me laugh out loud.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Yeah, I don't find myself using cover all that much either.

The one thingmissing that would really enhance the game is the ability to smoothly exit and transition between cover. Moving in and out of cover just isn't as smooth as it should be.

What?

Cover is used to avoid gunfire while I plan out how to move and when to use bullet time and hoot dodge.

I mean you can play it as a cover shooter sure, but that's your prerogative.

AEREC

You're playing Max Payne like your playing as a soldier on mass effect 3.

Your doing it wrong. Jesus.

If your not diving all over the shop sliding across the floor backwards or flying down stairs headfirst john woo style. I really dont know why you bothered to be honest.

Maybe that would work on easy, but on hard you wont last long out in the open.

I started the game on hard and am currently on the last chapter and cover is a big part of the game. I dont mind Max Payne 3 as a cover based shooter though, it's a feature that should really be in all TPS shooters that are somewhat grounded in reality.

I do shootdodge alot in this game but most of the time it's to take the last 2 or 3 guys in a room.

AEREC

Well I'm glad I started on medium. I barely ever use cover. I'm pretty sure once I finish that and move onto hard, I still wont be using as much cover.

There's a reason there's an old school mode that takes cover away.. it's very much possible to finish the game without using it ( probably... I HOPE? :p )

Campaign is spread over two discs.

So I can play the entire arcade mode and new york minute without switching out discs?

Jarmel

Banned
Maybe that would work on easy, but on hard you wont last long out in the open.

I started the game on hard and am currently on the last chapter and cover is a big part of the game. I dont mind Max Payne 3 as a cover based shooter though, it's a feature that should really be in all TPS shooters that are somewhat grounded in reality.

I do shootdodge alot in this game but most of the time it's to take the last 2 or 3 guys in a room.

Exactly. The low health and ridiculous enemy accuracy(how the hell are they nailing me in cover through smoke?) really reduces the way you can use bullet time.

Part of the reason I hated the final boss fight was that it turned into this ridiculous segment where you're primarily in cover.

iNvid02

9jHDN.gif

right on time, jumping straight into multiplayer

leng jai

As much as it pains me to say it I highly doubt diving everywhere plus running and gunning would be a viable tactic in this game on hard. I'm doing it on medium and it's already a pain in the ass.

Yeah, I'm not using cover as the main mechanic (that is bullet time for me).

I can see why people would use cover a lot, but it's a lot more satisfying and the gunplay flows better if you're diving around lots and using slow-mo.

Arcteryx

As much as it pains me to say it I highly doubt diving everywhere plus running and gunning would be a viable tactic in this game on hard. I'm doing it on medium and it's already a pain in the ass.

It depends on how open the environments are, but I've been doing it fairly well. You end up using more painkillers, but it's much more rewarding than just hiding in cover using bullet time.

Lima

Do you guys suck at aiming with the controller or what? Yes I died a couple times on hard but I killed over 500 guys using shootdodges during my hard playthrough. You just have to know when you can pop out and you have to be able to kill like two or three guys with headshots each time you do it.

This game really rewards skill in a way that I haven't seen in a very long time.

It depends on how open the environments are, but I've been doing it fairly well. You end up using more painkillers, but it's much more rewarding than just hiding in cover using bullet time.

Also this.

I'm constantly out of painkillers but I don't give a fuck because I play fucking max payne. I don't want to sit in cover all day.

Dyno

The game is great and has exceeded my expectations. Combat is fun and dynamic, the atmosphere is cool, plus Max and Passos are turning out to be really neat characters and a good team. Those little extras like animations and the editing make it a really slick ride.

I don't agree with many of the reviewers with regards to difficulty spikes or length between checkpoints. There are some spikes and there are some longer checkpoints but that is where the challenge lies. Some progress has to be earned but it's not a slog through the whole thing. Certainly not a deal breaker or something that points should be docked for.

I'm playing on Medium and I rarely feel I need cover. Run n gun with some shoot-dodge for flavour is enough to get me through most fights. I think I'm half way through and so far it's getting a 9/10 from me.

Ridley327

Chapter 12 help:

Am I missing something with the heavy gunner during the roof tremors? It's impossible to shoot him without getting hit and dying. God, I hate these fucking guys, especially with how awful the checkpointing is for that section (why yes, I really do want to play that first part OVER AND OVER AGAIN).

AEREC

Chapter 12 help:

Am I missing something with the heavy gunner during the roof tremors? It's impossible to shoot him without getting hit and dying. God, I hate these fucking guys, especially with how awful the checkpointing is for that section (why yes, I really do want to play that first part OVER AND OVER AGAIN).

Are you going for the headshot...thats all you can really do.

Ridley327

Are you going for the headshot...thats all you can really do.

That's fucked up. He shoots way faster than me in Bullet-Time and the Last Stand mechanic will always get you killed against him.

And I was liking the rest of chapter 12, too.

EDIT: Oh, and there's a time limit that the game doesn't tell you about. Terrific.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I generally like to think I'm good at games. I mean, by no means am I anything to brag about, but I enjoy games that are specifically made to be tough- your Demon's/Dark Souls, and STALKERs, and indie stuff like Day Z.

This is just horseshit though. It seems people are having a tough time on medium, but hard is poorly balanced at best. Difficulties should scale without compromising the core conceits intended in a game's design. This reminds me of playing the early hours of Skyrim on the harder difficulties, where scaling would cause bears and sabrecats to dominate dragons. Obviously there's nothing quite analogous in this, a linear shooter, but it's that sort of goofy difficulty scaling that seems to plague it.

But then, maybe I'm just a bitch. Or getting old. Or both.

One of the hardest things about hard is that it burns bullet time way faster... so far it's the only difference I've noticed (still early in my hard playthrough) but it's a pretty significant difference.

If you played medium you'd have the same challenge from enemies, but more bullet time to help in the really tough moments.

Never once in my first playthrough did I feel like the game was unfair. Even though I replayed sections over and over sometimes. Always my mistakes.

Drewsky

I really love this game, but the controls just aren't as snappy as I'd like. I can't find a sensitivity that fits, it always feels sluggish or too fast.

MMaRsu

Damn Im already on chapter 12 I just dont want it to end :(

I really love this game, but the controls just aren't as snappy as I'd like. I can't find a sensitivity that I like, it always feels sluggish or too fast.

Have you tried 8/8/5 for the sensitivity settings? Im using type 4 controls so you have reload on square and cover on circle.

MercuryLS

Banned
One of the hardest things about hard is that it burns bullet time way faster... so far it's the only difference I've noticed (still early in my hard playthrough) but it's a pretty significant difference.

If you played medium you'd have the same challenge from enemies, but more bullet time to help in the really tough moments.

Never once in my first playthrough did I feel like the game was unfair. Even though I replayed sections over and over sometimes. Always my mistakes.

Hard sounds really annoying, enemies do more damage and you get less bullettime? Wouldn't that make you approach the game like any other cover shooter? I played on normal and it was a good balance between cover/shootdodge/bullettime. I think I may actually play it on easy so I can really go crazy with bullettime.

Choc

Banned
Chapter 12 help:

shootdodge over and over again, have at least a rifle and go for the head

it took me a fucking long time as well. the checkpoints in that area needs a patch its ridiculous

Ridley327

shootdodge over and over again, have at least a rifle and go for the head

it took me a fucking long time as well. the checkpoints in that area needs a patch its ridiculous

I got past it, but I took a very, err, "different" approach.

I got as close to him as I could and wailed on his nuts. Looks like you can kill them that way, too.

soultron

Banned
Hard really isn't that bad if you know what you're doing. I beat the first disc last night in what felt like 3 hours and was having a blast.

I play recklessly now more than I ever did on Medium. I've died less for it and have had 6 PKs on hand at most times. It's not like some people are making it out to be. Enemies may do more damage, but PKs also fully heal you in Hard; they only heal 50% in Medium.

And yeah, if you try and play it like a cover shooter, you're going to get a bad cover shooter because MP3 isn't good at that.

Arcteryx

Hahah oh man. I'm playing with someone w/ an IGN tag, and they're talking massive shit...and they're massive shit as well: 10-33.

Apparently they're upset that I'm using duelies and doing better than them with body armor, helmet and tricked out ak.

soultron

Banned
I've not played enough MP to even get dual-anything, but why do people seem to have such a problem with it? It's part of the game.

Back to SP, I'll say this: having some of the golden guns when you go to play Hard will help. They give you extended clips!

Hard really isn't that bad if you know what you're doing. I beat the first disc last night in what felt like 3 hours and was having a blast.

I play recklessly now more than I ever did on Medium. I've died less for it and have had 6 PKs on hand at most times. It's not like some people are making it out to be. Enemies may do more damage, but PKs also fully heal you in Hard; they only heal 50% in Medium.

And yeah, if you try and play it like a cover shooter, you're going to get a bad cover shooter because MP3 isn't good at that.

You know what you're doing on Hard because you already know what's coming from beating it on Medium. I highly suggest against anyone starting their first playthrough on Hard; it will sour you on some of the experience.

Arcteryx

I've not played enough MP to even get dual-anything, but why do people seem to have such a problem with it? It's part of the game.

Back to SP, I'll say this: having some of the golden guns when you go to play Hard will help. They give you extended clips!

I think partly because you can move faster(as long as you don't equip a ton of stuff). At least that's what this person is complaining about lol.

You know what you're doing on Hard because you already know what's coming from beating it on Medium. I highly suggest against anyone starting their first playthrough on Hard; it will sour you on some of the experience.

I started on Hard, play run and gun and completed the first disc with free-aim. Loving it.

I just realized you can play as Old School Max in Arcade Mode, and by Old School Max I mean with the Sam Lake face and everything.

This game is hilarious man.

Fabrik

Banned
I'm at Chapter 4 or something. Quite fun! I'm not 100% comfortable with the aiming. I've moved it to 10 everywhere lol. And I still find it a bit slow! The crosshair disappearing when you're in cover is so stupid! I also find you're kind of forced to use cover a bit too much.
BTW I'm not really impressed graphically. The cutscenes look like GTAIV. I guess I need the next-generation to arrive right now! Rayman Origins on the other hand is ****ing perfect.
Nevertheless, the chapters flow so nicely that it's hard to stop!

Top Bottom