• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Does he appear in the cutscenes also? That would be amazing if so.

I only messed around with one unlockable... but "laundry day max" did appear in the cutscene and it was pretty funny.

Well this is annoying.

Finally got home and set up my 360....1080p res, and I see red dots on the screen...

Doesn't seem to occur when I lower the res so I'm not sure what's going on? Any quick fixes?

I just wanted some Payne time! :(

Maybe I'll try the towel trick.

Interesting. The red dots don't seem to appear when it's below 1080p, nor do they appear when I'm using a VGA cable @ 1080p/60hz....

Time for Payne then.

Evolved1

I had one playing mutli a while ago too.

If anyone else is playing with sensitivities, I just put my acceleration or whatever it's called on 8 and it helped a ton. Feels way better to me now.

I have mine pretty low. Imo it's too disorientating to go from super slow ADS to the twitchy high-sensitivity hipfire... throws me off. I have my stuff pretty slow, and just concentrate on being incredibly deliberate with every move I make. Always plan ahead. It's pretty tense, especially trying to use cover only sparingly.

soultron

Banned
You know what you're doing on Hard because you already know what's coming from beating it on Medium. I highly suggest against anyone starting their first playthrough on Hard; it will sour you on some of the experience.

People really shouldn't play it on Hard for their first time, you're right. But I feel a lot of people would feel they weren't "man enough" if they couldn't beat it on the highest difficulty ASAP, right out of the box.

Glad I waited and cut my teeth on Medium first.

Sky Chief

I had one playing mutli a while ago too.

If anyone else is playing with sensitivities, I just put my acceleration or whatever it's called on 8 and it helped a ton. Feels way better to me now.

Same here, at first I tried changing horizontal and vertical speed but didn't like it. Returned to defaults and then jacked the acceleration up to 8 and it is absolutely perfect.

Evolved1

People really shouldn't play it on Hard for their first time, you're right. But I feel a lot of people would feel they weren't "man enough" if they couldn't beat it on the highest difficulty ASAP, right out of the box.

Glad I waited and cut my teeth on Medium first.

Medium was challenge enough... and now I can actually enjoy my hard playthrough, because I know what to expect and needn't worry about screwing up the pacing/story with difficult sections. I can walk away from a difficult part for a time and then come back to it later.

Also... hard doesn't seem quite that hard, because playing through on medium made me pretty good at the game.

Airport is shit. Suddenly I'm playing HeadShots: The Game. It's hard to articulate in words just how awful it is.

A mistake I made was sticking to the AR for most of that, and the last fight. When I switched to dual pistols (w/ one magnum) it became easy mode.

22:30 hours later
3270 kills later
636 painkillers later

Hard complete. Best most fun TPS I've ever played. Best game soundtrack I've ever heard.

Time for cleanup.

Drewsky

I have mine pretty low. Imo it's too disorientating to go from super slow ADS to the twitchy high-sensitivity hipfire... throws me off. I have my stuff pretty slow, and just concentrate on being incredibly deliberate with every move I make. Always plan ahead. It's pretty tense, especially trying to use cover only sparingly.

That is a problem I had at first, but now I probably use the hip fire more than ADS. Makes it more like the original games, and I just try to line up my shots and strafe. For me, it's way better that way.

That seems like a really long time but I'm getting murdered on hard. I think there are a few too many place where to start a sequence in the open and die once or twice beofre figure out where to get proper cover.

My soundtrack download's been stuck at 80% for like five minutes :(

I don't like the look of this.

i4rYsd1Z5ZcJr.gif

kaskade

One cool thing about the soundtrack is that it seems to be dynamic. Like it'll amp up when you start shooting dudes. I'm sure it's been done before but I really noticed it here.

Ridley327

One cool thing about the soundtrack is that it seems to be dynamic. Like it'll amp up when you start shooting dudes. I'm sure it's been done before but I really noticed it here.

There was an interview with HEALTH about how difficult it was for them to make sure that the dynamic layering worked. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory does the same thing, and it's more awesome for it.

That seems like a really long time but I'm getting murdered on hard. I think there are a few too many place where to start a sequence in the open and die once or twice before figure out where to get proper cover.
Yep. There are a lot of trial and error parts and it doesn't do the game any favors. You exit out of cut-scenes directly into the line of fire of half a dozen enemies without any cover to take to assess the situation. Its just bad design any way you scratch it.

Its really too bad, because if they just populated some of these environments with free roaming enemies the game would be nothing short of incredible. Luckily there are enough battles that feel that way to keep you going, or at least there have been so far for me.

joe2187

Banned
I think my game is borked, shooting my way through the favelas and I seem to just keep randomly falling through the ground at my checkpoint, Then the walls start dissapearing and the screen turns a bright orange as I fall forever.

Yze

Banned
Holy crap the cutscenes are annoying. Not because of length or content but because it feels like I'm watching a COD overedit without the dubstep or the 360 noscopes, and with more talking. How many swipes, scanlines, colour seperations and episodes of double vision do I really need to be subjected to. It's like kane&lynch 2 but twice as annoying because the gameplay is actually fun in this game.

Arcteryx

I think my game is borked, shooting my way through the favelas and I seem to just keep randomly falling through the ground at my checkpoint, Then the walls start dissapearing and the screen turns a bright orange as I fall forever.

It's been discussed a couple pages back. Try doing a full reboot and see if that fixes it, or if needed restart the level. Seems to be some loading error, as I had it right after a long ass load.

Has anyone figured out how to get the 10 Bullet Time Kills In A Row trophy? Is it ten kills within an entire BT bar? I swear I've done at least ten but Im switching it on to kill then turning it off.

There was an interview with HEALTH about how difficult it was for them to make sure that the dynamic layering worked. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory does the same thing, and it's more awesome for it.

A relatively small number of games does this, but you can always tell when the extra effort has been made to accomplish this. Portal 2 does it particularly well.

MattDoza

Back to SP, I'll say this: having some of the golden guns when you go to play Hard will help. They give you extended clips!

Really? I just disabled the gold gun effect because I think it looks terrible, but I'll re-enable it if it gives me extended mags.

soultron

Banned
Has anyone figured out how to get the 10 Bullet Time Kills In A Row trophy? Is it ten kills within an entire BT bar? I swear I've done at least ten but Im switching it on to kill then turning it off.

There's probably a certain instance in the game (not necessarily one of the scripted dives) that throws 10 enemies at you, I'm guessing.

I also tried to get the The One Eyed Man is King achievement but couldn't get it, even though I restarted over and over and didn't miss a shot in the Stadium. Strange!

Really? I just disabled the gold gun effect because I think it looks terrible, but I'll re-enable it if it gives me extended mags.
Yeah.
92FS: 15->21.
1911: 7/8(?)->12.
One of the uzis goes from 30/33(?)->45!
I have others but can't really remember the specific jumps in ammo count.

It definitely makes a difference not having to reload often, in Hard, since effective BT usage is super important.

Raptomex

Do golden guns do extra damage? I read somewhere they just enhance the weapons. I still don't know exactly what that means.

Max Payne 1&2 style nightmare sequences confirmed!

MattDoza

Yeah.
92FS: 15->21.
1911: 7/8(?)->12.
One of the uzis goes from 30/33(?)->45!
I have others but can't really remember the specific jumps in ammo count.

It definitely makes a difference not having to reload often, in Hard, since effective BT usage is super important.

I just disabled the effect. I hadn't even noticed and I'm on Chapter 9 of my Old School playthrough. Good to know.

RBK

Banned
I've spent more time on MP than the SP so far, but this is personally my favorite game from Rockstar this gen easily. With the exception of some minor flaws in the gameplay, it plays damn near perfect. The MP is surprisingly good and doesn't feel tacked on like GTA IV and RDR did.

For my first game pickup of 2012, can't say I did bad.

(Just requested a crew invite as well, I play often.)

Top Bottom