• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Rented this from Redbox to give it a try, I really like it so far. Never played the previous Max Payne games, should probably go back and play them sometime. This game is just a joy to play, everything is top notch. Definitely the best looking game I've played on my 360, I cannot fathom how good it will look on a high end PC. The gunplay is so sweet, love the reactions enemies have. I also love that its difficult, but not frustrating, think its partially due to no load times between deaths, which every game should have. Probably gonna buy this soon, so I can finish it.

Only played a couple matches of multiplayer, but it seems leagues better than GTA4's or RDR's already. Free aim or bust.

If I was kind of bored by the gameplay and found it somewhat repetitive in the older Max Payne games, should I be hesitant about paying full price for this? Is it very straightforward or does it offer good variety?

Don't care about multiplayer.

If I was kind of bored by the gameplay and found it somewhat repetitive in the older Max Payne games, should I be hesitant about paying full price for this? Is it very straightforward or does it offer good variety?

Honestly, it's probably more repetitive than the previous Max Payne games. Might want to rent first.

Raptomex

It's just like the other Max Payne games. Chapter to chapter, story driven game. You shoot all the bad guys. Only difference is this time around it's much more satisfying, gameplay is much better, things to collect, arcade mode, and various difficulties. It's challenging as well.

Montresor

I'm up to chapter 10 or 11, either way, this game is fucking awesome. I like the suggestion that you shouldn't treat this as a cover shooter. I don't always shoot dodge but I usually just casually exit from cover and start walking towards a group of guys in bullet time.

I'm also really really happy that I can take care of baddies easily this late in medium mode. I was getting my ass kicked on medium earlier and thinking I wouldn't be able to even touch hard mode.

solarus

I hope preload for this starts soon on PC, it'll take a whole day to download this thing and that's only if I don't use the internet for anything else, BT sucks.

Raptomex

Above two posts scramble my brain. I might try it out first. I really wish there was a demo. :(

Appreciate the replies nonetheless.
Not to bash you or anything but I can't stand the reviews that call this game repetitive and yet they praise the previous 2 games. It doesn't make sense. Each game you go from chapter to chapter pretty much just shooting bad guys. That's all there ever was. And I'm happy to say they removed the dream sequences from this game.

Not to bash you or anything but I can't stand the reviews that call this game repetitive and yet they praise the previous 2 games. It doesn't make sense. Each game you go from chapter to chapter pretty much just shooting bad guys. That's all there ever was. And I'm happy to say they removed the dream sequences from this game.

I know how it is to like a franchise because of what it is and what it always has been so I see nothing wrong with your philosophy there. I was just asking because while I thought what I played of Max Payne 2 was okay, I wasn't very fond of the gameplay -- but it could have also been the fact that I just don't like playing games with a keyboard and mouse. I love the Uncharted games but that's pretty much all they are as well, with some puzzle solving here and there that adds nothing and some decent platforming.

I had made up my mind about this game, but I refuse to ignore super positive impressions at the same time. All my friends are in love with it and think I'm dumb for not buying the game yet and there's a lot of similar praise here.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I love how you have to figure out the environmental kills, and there isn't a giant fucking blinking on-screen indicator telling you exactly what to do.

That is refreshing. They are pretty obvious for the most part, but it's still nice R* treated us with a bit of respect, instead of assuming we need our damn hands held for everything.

Shooting the
block holding the truck
was pretty cool... I was sitting there thinking, "I wonder if.... haha yup, awesome". I mean it's kind of an obvious thing, but still cool that it was there and they didn't force your attention to it. Stuff like that in this game was really appreciated.

Raptomex

I know how it is to like a franchise because of what it is and what it always has been so I see nothing wrong with your philosophy there. I was just asking because while I thought what I played of Max Payne 2 was okay, I wasn't very fond of the gameplay -- but it could have also been the fact that I just don't like playing games with a keyboard and mouse. I love the Uncharted games but that's pretty much all they are as well, with some puzzle solving here and there that adds nothing and some decent platforming.

I had made up my mind about this game, but I refuse to ignore super positive impressions at the same time. All my friends are in love with it and think I'm dumb for not buying the game yet and there's a lot of similar praise here.
Well on a side note, if you ever get it for PC chances are there will be controller support. But yeah, to each is own. But I saw a couple of "official" reviews saying this game is repetitive so it makes me question what they think the first 2 games really were all about in terms of gameplay. But whatever. It's a great game and I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys TPS games.

jonno394

Hmm, I see a few people on here have had it too, but no answers are forthcoming.

I can play mulitplayer ok, but i can't play with my friends on a private match, and I get a "incompatible data" error message, any advice?

Man I want this soundtrack now. What I've heard from the game is great stuff already, and am absolutely loving this full version of the Max Payne theme.

Didn't pre-order though so I guess I'm waiting til the 23rd?

Also looking forward to fully delving into the madness of this game tonight. I've bitched quite a bit but I'm still in love.

And Rockstar: Please take some of this criticism to heart and give us some more open-ended single player missions as DLC.

Sky Chief

I wasn't sold at first but this game is absolutely amazing.

Major kudos to Rockstar, they more than successfully addressed the two worst parts of their games - terrible story and shooting. The attention to detail is just astonishing and James McCaffrey is brilliant.

The only other dev I see right now making similar games of the same quality is ND and R* has just thrown down the gauntlet. So, so good!

Raptomex

Anyone try arcade mode? I beat the game last night then went to bed so I was going to try this tonight. Can someone tell me if it's a countdown timer or just timing your playthrough? I assume the cutscenes return? From what I read you can still find clues in this mode.

MMaRsu

It might be because MP3 ditched the tacked on platform sections of the classic games.

Thats okay though.. it was never that amazing.

Ps3 version is pretty damn good brandon..and so is this game! Better than uncharted 2 imo.

Arcade is not timed its all about scoring and multipliers.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hm, this game is probably why I need a Gamefly subscription. Not that I would get a new, popular game like it in a timely fashion.

I actually only use gamefly to get new games on release date. If you work the queue right by not actually having a list of games and only the one about to release along with a free slot you'll always get it. Helps save a ton of money in the long run, and if you like it you can keep it for ~$40 after you've been there awhile.

How is it more repetitive than the first two games? You do more different shit in this game than the previous two.

It might be because MP3 ditched the tacked on platform sections of the classic games.

What AwesomeSauce said. It's also been years since I last played Max Payne 1 and 2 so it might be bad recollection. I absolutely enjoyed 3 though, just that it felt more repetitive. Perhaps because some sections really laid out several waves of enemies at you compared to previous entries.

MattDoza

Anyone try arcade mode? I beat the game last night then went to bed so I was going to try this tonight. Can someone tell me if it's a countdown timer or just timing your playthrough? I assume the cutscenes return? From what I read you can still find clues in this mode.

Countdown. And each kill, and the style you do it in, adds to your time. The goal being to finish with as much time on your run as possible. Dying forces you to restart. You can still find clues, and golden guns. It's pretty awesome. You can compete against your crew, global leaderboards, or friends(I think).

I've only played two levels, but I don't think it plays every cut scene. Just starts you straight into the game. And you do it on a chapter basis, not a progressive manner, like in story mode.

Raptomex

Countdown. And each kill, and the style you do it in, adds to your time. The goal being to finish with as much time on your run as possible. Dying forces you to restart. You can still find clues, and golden guns. It's pretty awesome. You can compete against your crew, global leaderboards, or friends(I think).

I've only played two levels, but I don't think it plays every cut scene. Just starts you straight into the game.
Sweet. And you gain multiplayer XP apparently. That's a plus, I guess.

Sky Chief

If I do choose to get this, how's the PS3 version? I need more PS3 games...

PS3 version is really good. I had some stuttering (mainly in cutscenes, mind you) in the first few chapters but since then it has been super smooth and absolutely gorgeous. There are moments in this game where I just stand there and move the camera around and take everything in. I haven't done that in a game since U2 and U3. IMO, this game is in its own way as good looking and smooth as those and the more realistic look is pretty astounding.

I actually only use gamefly to get new games on release date. If you work the queue right by not actually having a list of games and only the one about to release along with a free slot you'll always get it. Helps save a ton of money in the long run, and if you like it you can keep it for ~$40 after you've been there awhile.

Thanks for the info. Might try that.

Good PS3 impressions too. For some reason I prefer the Dualshock with most Rockstar games.

Thank god!Finally I don't have to read about how people are enjoying it anymore...

IMG_0060-1.jpg

Try being a PC gamer. :(

I downloaded the soundtrack, and I love it. However, as with any albums that I download/buy, they always have one or more tracks missing. That's what I hate about albums.
One of the tracks that I wanted to have was the one in the Favelas where the DJ was singing, and the other was during the jet chase scene

Lakitu

st5fu
Just finished it... brilliant, just brilliant. My GOTY so far for sure. What a rollercoaster.

When Health's song came on during the massive gunfight in the airport, I got chills.

Great work Rockstar. I wouldn't even compare to the previous games because quite frankly in style and tone it felt a lot different but this is the best action game this gen IMO.

Issues with targeting continue. Last night it seems the worst where even with a mini 30 and crouching having the reticle on someone and lit up red doesn't seem to mean you will ever hit them. It's ver frustrating because ever at closer range with an automatic weapon I've had people walking through my line of site with being hit. It just feels sketchy all around. I've clearly gotten kill where I know I never had them in my sights. I'm wondering it it's an issue with my network or the server. I'm surprised I have not heard more about this problem.

I'm also a little irritated by how ling I've predicted it would take me to get to level 50. I'm doing well with a KD around 1.5 and hours and hours of play is only putting me at level 5.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is it just me or do laser sights make it a fuckload harder to tell where you're aiming? They just seem to fade into nothing after a pretty short distance.

5amshift

Banned
When Health's song came on during the massive gunfight in the airport, I got chills.

Same here. Just finished and am pretty happy with it! It didn't feel rushed really and I was happy with the ending.

Is it just me or do laser sights make it a fuckload harder to tell where you're aiming? They just seem to fade into nothing after a pretty short distance.

I agree, the laser sights suck and it should have included a reticle of some sort..

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine

Yup the laser attachment is garbage. Looks cool, but eh.

Luckily you can toggle attachments by pressing select/back.

edit - beaten lol

Yes.

Fuck lasers in this game, I get depressed everytime I see a gun with a laser on it becaue I know its useless to me.

RBK

Banned
I wasn't sold at first but this game is absolutely amazing.

Major kudos to Rockstar, they more than successfully addressed the two worst parts of their games - terrible story and shooting. The attention to detail is just astonishing and James McCaffrey is brilliant.

The only other dev I see right now making similar games of the same quality is ND and R* has just thrown down the gauntlet. So, so good!

Those were issues? :/

MMaRsu

I downloaded the soundtrack, and I love it. However, as with any albums that I download/buy, they always have one or more tracks missing. That's what I hate about albums.
One of the tracks that I wanted to have was the one in the Favelas where the DJ was singing, and the other was during the jet chase scene

People can rip it i gues..

I didn't have a problem with them in the campaign, which makes me weird I guess. The trick is not to just follow the line, but to focus on the somewhat larger dot at the very end of the beam when the line intersects something solid. That's where your bullets will go every time.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I didn't have a problem with them in the campaign, which makes me weird I guess. The trick is not to just follow the line, but to focus on the somewhat larger dot at the very end of the beam when the line intersects something solid. That's where your bullets will go every time.
I could only see it on a couple occasions with red lasers. Green lasers never seemed to have it.

Thanks for the tips on how to turn it off. The first fight in chapter 14 was a pain in the ass for me since all of the guns had lasers on them and I couldn't shoot for shit with them.

Top Bottom