• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Crazy Taxi is the only racing game I ever needed. Dangerous manoeuvres, high flying leaps, doing ridiculous stunts, using licensed music to get the audience (the player) excited, marketing through non-subtle means (eat at KFC), and no union or comp for injuries for doing a dangerous job? It speaks to the wrestling fan in me on top of being a fun game.

I enjoyed MK Wii the same way I enjoy an over packed money in the bank ladder match, it's a goddamn mess and spotty as fuck with endless chaos happening all over the place until some dude manages to crawl out of the mess for a "win", not sure how good that is but it's stupid fun.
...better than Double Dash, Balee Dat!

Hasney

I enjoyed MK Wii the same way I enjoy an over packed money in the bank ladder match, it's a goddamn mess and spotty as fuck with endless chaos happening all over the place until some dude manages to crawl out of the mess for a "win", not sure how good that is but it's stupid fun.
...better than Double Dash, Balee Dat!

Your avatar looks like he has the swagger to be the Roman Reigns of the avian world.

Your avatar looks like he has the swagger to be the Roman Reigns of the avian world.

mKzPzD8.gif

I see the similarities.

Alucard

Banned
Crazy Taxi is the only racing game I ever needed. Dangerous manoeuvres, high flying leaps, doing ridiculous stunts, using licensed music to get the audience (the player) excited, marketing through non-subtle means (eat at KFC), and no union or comp for injuries for doing a dangerous job? It speaks to the wrestling fan in me on top of being a fun game.

Loved loved loved it. I never mastered the game like others did, but I remember trying to do the perfect route and play the game with the same path every time until the clock started running down and it would get chaotic. I still remember that the first passenger I'd always get would be the one you immediately have to reverse to from the get-go.

Those were good times. Jet Grind Radio, Crazy Taxi, Power Stone...good times.

I just watched an hour and a half of Ultimate Warrior promos and now my brain is melting from the power of destructicity.

Wsvfacc.gif

Watching those old shows from the 80s is amazing, the promos rarely make a lot of sense but they're so damn engaging. The wrestlers believe what they're saying and are totally in character with it too. It grabs you, it's such a stark contrast to the robo-promos we've had for over a decade or so.

chunk3rvd

How was it? Hxc has always looked interesting / scary to me

Are you local?

Really fun show. Jigsaw/End was great as expected. BT Gunn vs Mikey Whiplash was pretty good as well. Also, we were treated to an appearance by ECW alumni Dave Rayven:

I'm in Liverpool so it wasn't too far for me. Probably been at a few PCW and Infinite shows when you were there! I'd definitely recommend checking HXC out some time. They put on a really fun show and the venue's only 2 minutes from Oxford Road train station

Watching those old shows from the 80s is amazing, the promos rarely make a lot of sense but they're so damn engaging. The wrestlers believe what they're saying and are totally in character with it too. It grabs you, it's such a stark contrast to the robo-promos we've had for over a decade or so.

Agreed. On the Ultimate Warrior documentary they just released Warrior sums it up well when he says that Vince is the last real 'larger than life' character in the WWE and that he's a relic of the old era when everyone ramped their character up to 11.

Agreed. On the Ultimate Warrior documentary they just released Warrior sums it up well when he says that Vince is the last real 'larger than life' character in the WWE and that he's a relic of the old era when everyone ramped their character up to 11.

Yeah it's a shame, but I guess you've got to try new things now and again to keep things 'fresh', even if the proven formula worked. I was thinking about managers too, there's a ton of managers during the 80s and it works so well. If the guy can't talk, give them a manager and let the big guy be the brute. When you think about recent managers in WWE they've all worked too - Umanga, Rusev, etc but they never seem to stable wrestlers together with a manager ala Heenan Family, or Gary Hart, which I really liked.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Beetle Adventure Racing was pretty good. Best of all has to be Outrun Coast 2 Coast. Huge content, classic Outrun gameplay, best soundtrack.

Followed closely by Forza Horizon 2. That game is unbelievable.

Carnby

I watched the first half of the Springer show on the Network, it's not bad actually. I enjoyed the Sable / Mero recap. It was a pretty funny story line.

The picture they used for Springr's OS* was funny too. Sable posing on the beach with Mero sitting in the water half a mile away. Lol

*OS is a TV term for "over the shoulder graphic*

Finally able to finish the New Japan Hinokuni show and it was about what you expect from a slightly upgraded house show but still enjoyable. Here are some thoughts:

-- Tenzan and Big Daddy Yum Yum was enjoyable, if not good. Yum Yum has impressive agility for a heavyweight and a couple of nice moves, like the double jump moonsault, but doesn't know how to really put a match together. The ending sequence built around the Anaconda Vice was well done.

-- The Bullet Club six man had some more intensity than your normal New Japan multi-man match, especially at the end. I thought Gallows looked better here than what we've seen recently. Working hard and not coasting like he tends to do.

-- Okada didn't have the massive heat you'd expect from him. To me, this is mostly because Fale isn't viewed as a real threat and the storyline has been very paint by numbers. This is another reason I'd like to have AJ keep the belt at Dominion. It would give Okada the chance to get his momentum back in the second half of the year.

-- On the other hand, Goto got a really good reception with many of the fans clapping along to his theme and responding well when he was in the ring. Hope he gets the IC title at Dontaku tonight / tomorrow.

-- The sequences between Shibata and Sakuraba were so good. They even got a decent pop from a rope break after fighting for the arm bar. We've got to get a singles match at Dominion, right?

-- Ishii / Makabe was the intense slugfest you'd expect from those two and the fans were really into it. Ishii looked good again, with the shoulder wrap off and I think he's lost a few pounds around the gut. Very good match but not really a MOTYC for me.

Harper is legit, i refuse to believe that Harper haters exist
I think the "haters" of Harper comes from his character being, well, a mini Bray Wyatt. And we all know there is a sizable amount of folks in the ISEC that are anti-Wyatt.

Dude's glorious in the ring, right down to his facial gestures. I wish him a bright future in Double-U Double-U E.

Still gunning for an Ambrose/Harper bro team, though. C'mon, make it happen.

I really like the promos the Prime Time Players are doing recently.

Its giving those guys some personality outside of the "Millions of Dollars" catchphrase. They just need to start doing them on Raw and not Smackdown because if it wasnt for WWE's YouTube channel I might forget PTP exist.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got around to watching Days of Future Past. It was pretty good, and I hate the X-Men. Though a lot of it was "see these characters be douchebag shitlords in ye olden days" - that was fine. I liked the early 70s stuff.

Hasney

What makes a man make those threads? is it shame? A feeling of inadequacy?

I'm sure these questions will be answered in time, friends.

notworksafe

Just got my wisdom teeth out so now I'm gonna spend the day watching Giant Bomb and old PPVs. What on the WWE Network goes best with painkillers?

On a side note my dentist also prescribed me Z-pak. This might be the end for me, friends

More 96 Raw happenings:

Yoko lost to Owen by being fat and lost his smile.

Jake gave a real ass interview on the action zone on the subject of his substance abuse.

Skip tried his damnedest to drag Mero to a decent 10 - 15 minute match. Each guy got hit/dropped awkwardly on their hip like 2 or 3 times.

Both Warrior and Undertaker seem super out of place in this period, Warrior more than Taker but that might be that I'm more used to seeing him. Having the Taker and Mankind story briefly meeting up with the Bulldog/Owen/HBK story really points out the extreme style clash of this period.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Alucard

Banned
Went to a video game exhibit at the Montreal Science Center. 100+ games to play from various points of gaming history. Was pretty rad. Beat Soul Calibur, and then played some multi SFIV, Star Wars arcade, Galaga, Puck Man (!), SMB1, Child of Light, Tetris (GB), and a host of others.

Also spent about 2 mins with the original Tomb Raider on the PS1. Goddamn was that a shitshow in terms of speed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Women's wrestlers have always existed and if she started to rewatch in this modern era because of the women currently on the show, I have no belief in her being a positive addition to the WWE. Mainly because every woman on earth should be absolutely insulted by what the WWE presents as far as the women's division is concerned.

There's still a lot of inspiration to pull from. Need I remind you of the Bellas and their famous "what IS a woman?" promo where they talked about how they're the real outcasts? Some people find strength and inspiration in that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Who would make a better pro wrestling character, Ali or Tyson?

Ali obviously has the height, confidence and charisma. But prime Tyson could legit shook the universe. Mother fucker was terrifying from age 15.
mike-tyson-gif.gif

Tyson had a more WWE/F look as well.

KissVibes

Banned
Mike Tyson has given some insane interviews. Not Warrior Insane but like, Dusty Rhodes twitter insane. That plus his absolute physical dominance would've made him better than Ali as a sports entertainer. Imagine Dusty Rhodes + Kurt Angle

Ali in reality would be as corny as John Cena.

Top Bottom