• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

Tyson

swv4rOX.gif

aaaaand saved

Ali in reality would be as corny as John Cena.

Ali would have been the Rock, only with more diverse banter. His charisma and promo abilities were off the chart. Plus he was one of the all time best at working the crowd. All the guys who were in boxing back then talk about how he would stick out his belly to make people think he was out of shape, then box at like 70% so it looked like a competitive fight and people were entertained. Then he'd smoke the guy in the last few rounds so it was clear who the champ was. Anyone who can work a shoot fight would make all the money.

Went to a video game exhibit at the Montreal Science Center. 100+ games to play from various points of gaming history. Was pretty rad. Beat Soul Calibur, and then played some multi SFIV, Star Wars arcade, Galaga, Puck Man (!), SMB1, Child of Light, Tetris (GB), and a host of others.

Also spent about 2 mins with the original Tomb Raider on the PS1. Goddamn was that a shitshow in terms of speed.
Were these games all in French?

Who would make a better pro wrestling character, Ali or Tyson?

Ali obviously has the height, confidence and charisma. But prime Tyson could legit shook the universe. Mother fucker was terrifying from age 15.
mike-tyson-gif.gif

Tyson had a more WWE/F look as well.

Tyson was a MONSTER.

iYtQyFe98xNvG.gif

Raw in 96 is super inconsistent in quality and it nosedived after the KOTR. After that show they brought back a bunch of squashes and comedy jobbers like The Goon, Duke the Dumpster and T.L. Hooper.

You can tell they lose a lot of confidence in Mero as he's no longer super protected and Sable has been the one getting most of the reaction.

Everything Stro has ever said about Shawn in this period is true. As a face he comes across like he has his head up his own ass and Vince borders on Cole/Miz levels of cheerleading.

Sephzilla

Ali, no question. He had the gift of talk and charisma and was a great athlete. On top of that he "got" the wrestling business, I think Piper even mentioned this in interviews.

Tyson was a legit nutcase in his prime and probably would have gotten fired.

Trisha Stratus and Paige love child.
Sweet Jesus, I don't even care, sign her up now. If Johnny was still in charge she would be.

Ali obviously has the height, confidence and charisma. But prime Tyson could legit shook the universe. Mother fucker was terrifying from age 15.
mike-tyson-gif.gif

Tyson had a more WWE/F look as well.
Tyson was a MONSTER.

iYtQyFe98xNvG.gif

A lot of people forget just how frighteningly good (and straight up frightening) Tyson was back then. Sure the heavy weight division was in the best shape at the time but Tyson was still a freak of nature.

Ali = The Rock, Tyson = Brock Lesnar.

Alucard

Banned
Personally, I don't think video games belong in a museum. They should be hidden away and spoken of only in hushed tones. the "video games as art" and "e-sports as real sports" crowd drive me up the wall.

Eh, it was fun. Just don't think about the pretentious people and you're good to go.

Personally, I don't think video games belong in a museum. They should be hidden away and spoken of only in hushed tones. the "video games as art" and "e-sports as real sports" crowd drive me up the wall.

It was interesting seeing the reactions to E-Sports on ESPN the last week, bit of a reality check to the 'it's a real sport' crowd.

Eubank would make a hell of a manager.

I really want to see this happen now, PCW GET ON IT!

Look, I'm just expressing my opinion. It's no different than the people here who wish Vince McMahon would die so that Triple H can takeover and implement his NXT formula on Raw and Smackdown. You and I may not necessarily agree with that line of thinking but I believe in everyone's right to express themselves here, no matter how heinous.

There's a reason we're all on this video game forum discussing our hobby under the guise of anonymity. This is some shameful, repugnant sh*t that we're involved in. The only difference is that some of us recognize that and some of us don't.

How would you even exhibit video games in a museum? What is the purpose? Let's take Alucard's experience for example: How many of the games that he played do you think he's played before at some point in his life? I'm willing to bet he's played the majority if not all of those games before. So you're not really going to learn anything or partake in new experiences, the point seems to be nostalgia. "Oh, here's some sh*t I used to do". Don't get me wrong, I'd do the same thing. I have zero interest in playing some crappy British developed games on the ZX Spectrum at a museum even though I'd probably stand to learn a whole lot more than I would playing Super Mario Bros., which I'd rather do.

I should note that I absolutely agree that video games are disgusting. But I don't have to have an appreciation for an art to still believe that it has value, despite my own personal disgust. If there is room for Jeff Dunham to perform his art and for Full Sail University students to watch NXT performers display their art then I think there can be room for Alucard to abandon his family to play video games at a museum

Look, I'm just expressing my opinion. It's no different than the people here who wish Vince McMahon would die so that Triple H can takeover and implement his NXT formula on Raw and Smackdown. You and I may not necessarily agree with that line of thinking but I believe in everyone's right to express themselves here, no matter how heinous.

There's a reason we're all on this video game forum discussing our hobby under the guise of anonymity. This is some shameful, repugnant sh*t that we're involved in. The only difference is that some of us recognize that and some of us don't.

How would you even exhibit video games in a museum? What is the purpose? Let's take Alucard's experience for example: How many of the games that he played do you think he's played before at some point in his life? I'm willing to bet he's played the majority if not all of those games before. So you're not really going to learn anything or partake in new experiences, the point seems to be nostalgia. "Oh, here's some sh*t I used to do". Don't get me wrong, I'd do the same thing. I have zero interest in playing some crappy British developed games on the ZX Spectrum at a museum even though I'd probably stand to learn a whole lot more than I would playing Super Mario Bros., which I'd rather do.

At this point in time I'd agree that a display in a museum is probably only going to attract the same crowd that already knows a lot and has an appreciation for the medium but that's due to the fact that for most video games became a thing within our lifetime or not long before our lifetime.

Video games are not high art but neither are many forms of entertainment. Its fairly important that preservation goes on in the right places though instead of letting it get labeled as a fad or throwaway entertainment. We lost a lot of early film and television due to that kind of thinking.

Museums now are likely doing it as a novelty to attract a crowd that might not step foot in one and that's OK.

klonere

Banned
Finally going to watch Wrestle Kingdom tonight and then start working my way up through all this years NJPW stuff, hopefully in time for G1 to start. I've only watched Nakamura vs Ibushi back when everyone was popping off about it. Can't waitttt

DMczaf

Mayweather is the best heel of our generation.

And he legit broke Big Show's face, so that makes him my friend and hero.

Heel

When you realize that being a piece of shit is inherent to the culture of Sports Entertainment, and are then able to look past the fact that Floyd Mayweather Jr. is a piece of shit, you realize that he's actually the best thing going and will be rooting for him tonight.

Aiii

So not worth it
E-sports aren't sports, but it is still competition. It is still a money maker. It is still entertainment to the people watching it. It's a bit like a game of Darts, I suppose.

So, what was ESPN's problem with it?

When you realize that being a piece of shit is inherent to the culture of Sports Entertainment, and are then able to look past the fact that Floyd Mayweather Jr. is a piece of shit, you realize that he's actually the best thing going and will be rooting for him tonight.

I've heard too much of "Pacquiao is a nice and humble guy, he deserves to win."

Definitely rooting for Mayweather. Dude better heel it up as much as he can.

E-sports aren't sports, but it is still competition. It is still a money maker. It is still entertainment to the people watching it. It's a bit like a game of Darts, I suppose.

ESPN doesn't have a problem with it, people on Twitter and one of their talking heads does. Activision paid for some time on ESPN 2 and they saw no problem with it. Probably because Disney owns both ESPN and Maker, the home of almost every big gaming Youtuber, so they know they have a potential cash cow in video game coverage down the line.

They got free money from Blizzard, I don't think they had a problem with it at all. An ESPN employee made some noise trolling the event but that was the extent of it.

XenoRaven

Nerds do it.

Meanwhile fantasy sports and watching the draft are way cool man.

Top Bottom