• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

Heel I feel that posting a video of a black man begging for a curb stomp isn't going to help race relations in this community.
S96VI4x.gif

8BYVVAz.gif

zychi

Banned
Did Meltzer drop any hints about roh /da? Seems pretty big to miss it

Oh damn. sucks for him. I guess Davey said some questionable things about wwe roh too? Wow he's fucked

Meltzer doesn't ever have any actual scoops. It still amazes me that people pay for his stuff. His scoops are always twitter rumors and things you can figure out by watching tv.

somedevil

Won't the same situation happen with ROH? TNA's stuff has been good lately but advertisers really don't like to put their stuff on TNA that much. How is ROH going to avoid that?

Sinclair owns ROH and pays for the show so its a lot cheaper for DA to put then TNA.

edit: beaten like 4 times.

Won't the same situation happen with ROH? TNA's stuff has been good lately but advertisers really don't like to put their stuff on TNA that much. How is ROH going to avoid that?

In addition to it being possible adverts just don't want to plug their stuff while TNA's on, ROH is cheap enough that they aren't really suffering even if they just have to put Youtube ads up during breaks. They didn't pay much at all for ROH, they just got rights to air their tapes days after they premiere and a day before they go up online. There's nowhere near as much risk here.

Kaladin

TNA update:

pwinsider said:
Several readers have sent word that TNA talents have started sending out Tweets mentioning Ring of Honor coming to Destination America plugging they are the lead-in for TNA Impact Wrestling. From what I have been told, this is something TNA is doing on their own and not something that Destination America has requested of the company. There is no working relationship between TNA and ROH and this is not something the two companies came up with together. My belief is that it was a request that TNA management made of the wrestlers during today's conference call. It looks to be TNA's way of babyfacing an obviously embarrassing situation.

Speaking of that call, I am still getting details but I was told it ran well over 90 minutes and as you could imagine, there were some less than happy TNA contracted talents on the line.

As far as how TNA could not have had an exclusivity clause for the network for pro wrestling programming, UTA negotiated the contract, not TNA, so any blame should fall upon them. I am very curious to see if Destination America is looking to add additional wrestling programming as obviously House of Hardcore, Global Force Wrestling, hell, even New Japan Pro Wrestling, etc. are out there.

somedevil

Some more news:

The discussions between ROH and Destination America began months ago. ROH also talked with other networks and talked with Spike TV for potential special events.

- With Samoa Joe signed to WWE NXT, there's already speculation that WWE will nix his ROH TV appearances now that ROH is airing on cable. The same rule could apply for Rhyno and other talents. Joe is currently scheduled to work the June 20th ROH TV tapings, teaming with AJ Styles to face Kazarian and Daniels. ROH is likely also awaiting confirmation on whether or not they will be able to use Joe on TV, if they haven't found out already.

So spike had discussions with them. Plus it looks like Joe pulling a Rick Rude probably is not going to happen. Its funny that if ROH never did this deal Joe would be on ROH tv.

Alucard

Banned
ROH is getting on Destination America? That's actually pretty cool. I'll be curious to see their viewership numbers.

Congrats, ROH! Back on somewhat more mainstream television.

One of the guys who does a lot of the awful shirt designs on Pro Wrestling Tees was all, "I guess I design shirts for a national wrestling company now!!" so today is the most depressingly pathetic day in wrestling ever.

Raw Ratings

Raw on Memorial Day did 3.59 million viewers, which was identical to the Memorial Day number of 2014.

It would be the second lowest number of the year, beating only the 5/4 show that did 3.57 million viewers.

All things considered, the number isn't that bad, given the Warriors-Rockets game head-to-head with the last two hours did 8.28 million viewers.

The three hours were:

8 p.m. 3.79 million viewers

9 p.m. 3.59 million viewers

10 p.m. 3.42 million viewers

Aiii

So not worth it
To be fair, watching TNA often did feel like a job that required lots of hats manual labor, so heavy lifting seems apt.

klonere

Banned
Who the hell is Joe Doering? I'm going through this AJPW stuff and he turns up as a Triple Crown Champ. Did he work in WWE before? I never hear anyone in the gajin cotnigent of NJPW ever mention him, is AJPW that disconnected from NJPW? He looks pretty unassuming for a wrestler as well, pudgy with a bad mustache.

Who the hell is Joe Doering? I'm going through this AJPW stuff and he turns up as a Triple Crown Champ. Did he work in WWE before? I never hear anyone in the gajin cotnigent of NJPW ever mention him, is AJPW that disconnected from NJPW? He looks pretty unassuming for a wrestler as well, pudgy with a bad mustache.

He was in WWE's developmental about 5 years ago, when it was still run out of FCW - dude's a pretty bland wrestler, but he's solid enough and has shown a lot of loyalty to All Japan. In general, AJPW is entirely disconnected from NJPW - there's not a whole lot of crossover between their fanbases and, especially amongst western fans, All Japan hasn't been as popular as NJPW or NOAH over the past 15 years.

Meltzer doesn't ever have any actual scoops. It still amazes me that people pay for his stuff. His scoops are always twitter rumors and things you can figure out by watching tv.

He's the first one who reported that Destination America had an out to cancel their agreement with TNA in September and was going to take it. But any news he had gets posted on 50 sites in minutes anyway. People subscriber to the Observer to read his analysis and wrestling history stuff.

People subscriber to the Observer to read his analysis and wrestling history stuff.

This. Whenever an old-school wrestler sadly passes away, you think you can trust fuckin' WrestleZone or who the fuck ever to write up a proper obituary? Hell no. There's lot of good reasons to subscribe to the Observer, but if you're only there for the news there's no point.

klonere

Banned
He was in WWE's developmental about 5 years ago, when it was still run out of FCW - dude's a pretty bland wrestler, but he's solid enough and has shown a lot of loyalty to All Japan. In general, AJPW is entirely disconnected from NJPW - there's not a whole lot of crossover between their fanbases and, especially amongst western fans, All Japan hasn't been as popular as NJPW or NOAH over the past 15 years.

Thanks bud. AJPW does seem very austere and stripped back but I'm really digging it. Back drops and power slams are sold as very real, damaging moves. The climax of a match was a sleeper hold and it really worked. I remember reading they are even more sports orientated that NJPW?

The ref slapped the shit out of Doering who was stalling outside the ring. Good stuff.

I remember reading they are even more sports orientated that NJPW?

Yeah, NJPW's quite flashy, high energy and fast-paced by comparison - that's not to say that they can't have more methodical technical bouts or strong style slugfests, but in general it's a very different promotion from AJPW. All Japan are trying to get back to their roots and the King's Road style, whereas the New Japan of today is quite different stylistically than it was in Japanese wrestling's heyday.

klonere

Banned
Yeah, NJPW's quite flashy, high energy and fast-paced by comparison - that's not to say that they can't have more methodical technical bouts or strong style slugfests, but in general it's a very different promotion from AJPW. All Japan are trying to get back to their roots and the King's Road style, whereas the New Japan of today is quite different stylistically than it was in Japanese wrestling's heyday.

Thanks for the info. Doering and Shiozaki had a hell of a match, Doering sold like a boss. I assume AJPW crashed because of the obsession with shoot stuff that took over Japan?

I wonder if being on DA will give ROH any impetus or finanacial reason to up production values. From what I heard ROH have front office problems as well just different ones from TNA. Interesting times in any case.

TNA update:

Update

PWInsider said:
TNA CONFERENCE CALL NOTES

According to several sources who took part in today's TNA conference call with President Dixie Carter discussing the company today with TNA staff and wrestlers, there were no real explanations given regarding the current situation with Destination America.
I was told that it was intimated that due to the nature of the contract between the two parties, neither TNA nor Destination America can publicly comment on their relationship.

Regarding Ring of Honor being added to the Network, the impression given was that TNA, due to their relationship with DA, could not speak on the show until it was announced. I've heard from a few people who didn't buy that explanation and the general belief among those I've spoken to who were on the call is that TNA didn't know about ROH until it was announced.

At times, once the call was opened up for wrestlers to voice their opinions, the call did get very heated. I was told that at one point, Carter told the wrestlers it was up to them to show the world why they were the best in the world and that they "controlled their own destiny." This led to some of the issues of the past year, including the move from Spike and the pay issues being brought up. I was told Carter responded as if the pay issues were in the past.

I heard differing opinions from talents. One said that he felt better now that had the situation had been addressed as talents were no longer "in the dark" and they hoped everyone would get back to performing and not worrying. The talent referred to the call as a big "family blowout" in that now that everyone said their piece, there was a feeling of communication and now everyone could get back to work.

Another called it a "circus call" in that once the floodgates opened for the talent, some of the talents began bringing up personal issues that would have been better dealt with in a one on one forum.

Still another told me it was over 90 minutes of nothing of substance truly being addressed while noting the company was adamant they wanted things kept private while asking talents not to speak out and leak things.

The Dixie Carter "email" story did not come up during the call, I am told.

jnc at the talent adopting the burning dog comic stance. "everything's fine"

Kaladin

Friends, Roman fans and WrassleGaf-men.....it's time I take a break from this place.

I spend too much time here, and I need to branch out more.

I also need to step back and enjoy wrestling and leave the commentary and drama of this place behind for a while.

So long.....

wrestling-fail.gif

Thanks for the info. Doering and Shiozaki had a hell of a match, Doering sold like a boss. I assume AJPW crashed because of the obsession with shoot stuff that took over Japan?

The biggest blow to All Japan was when the companies owner and booker Giant Baba died. His wife took over the company and didn't follow Baba's wishes for the booking. All of the big stars left to form NOAH except for Kawada so Mrs Baba brought in Muto to book and star. They were kinda popular for a while after that but could never make new stars. The MMA boom really hurt all of Japanese wrestling though.

Their troubles began when Giant Baba died in 1999, then Misawa left and formed NOAH, taking half the roster with him - Keiji Mutoh bought AJPW and had mixed fortunes running the promotion, but he didn't really go in for the shoot style stuff. Mutoh eventually sold up to a money mark named Shiraishi a couple of years ago and the guy almost tanked the promotion by being generally batshit insane, then Akiyama staged a coup with Giant Baba's widow and took over control. They seem to be doing better again, the fans are returning now they have some confidence in how AJPW's being run, but they're not in a position to compete with NJPW as they did in the past.

Comparatively, it was NJPW that struggled in the 2000's due to the shoot style obsession - pro-wrestling as a whole was suffering because of the rising popularity of MMA and Inoki was convinced that incorporating it more into New Japan would bring in the fans (as it had done in the 70's when he competed against top martial artists in 'exhibition' matches) but it was pretty disastrous for NJPW's business.

klonere

Banned
The biggest blow to All Japan was when the companies owner and booker Giant Baba died. His wife took over the company and didn't follow Baba's wishes for the booking. All of the big stars left to form NOAH except for Kawada so Mrs Baba brought in Muto to book and star. They were kinda popular for a while after that but could never make new stars. The MMA boom really hurt all of Japanese wrestling though.

Their troubles began when Giant Baba died in 1999, then Misawa left and formed NOAH, taking half the roster with him - Keiji Mutoh bought AJPW and had mixed fortunes running the promotion, but he didn't really go in for the shoot style stuff. Mutoh eventually sold up to a money mark named Shiraishi a couple of years ago and the guy almost tanked the promotion by being generally batshit insane, then Akiyama staged a coup with Giant Baba's widow and took over control. They seem to be doing better again, the fans are returning now they have some confidence in how AJPW's being run, but they're not in a position to compete with NJPW as they did in the past.

Comparatively, it was NJPW that struggled in the 2000's due to the shoot style obsession - pro-wrestling as a whole was suffering because of the rising popularity of MMA and Inoki was convinced that incorporating it more into New Japan would bring in the fans (as it had done in the 70's when he competed against top martial artists in 'exhibition' matches) but it was pretty disastrous for NJPW's business.

Good stuff friends. Seems like a whole other kettle of wrestling fish that I'll have to look at when I have time.

Owens cutting a hell of a promo to open NXT.

Top Bottom