• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

Chamber

love on your sleeve
i2PlQWdMgQDkp.gif

Recall

Arguably one of the better RAWs in awhile and it had poor ratings? :(

I don't think people understand why people tune in.

How would people know it was going to be good? People don't know if something is good until it's over.

An episode of RAW could have seven 5 star matches but if the previous week's episode was utter shit it will have a knock on effect for the one that follows. You may find that next weeks RAW rating will see a bump based on the quality of this weeks, as quality generates interest.

Hasney

And even then, it'll take more than one good episode. I git sick of there being one good Raw in 10 so I've not watched this week's because if next week is the same old shit, it'll be disappointing. If they can get a streak until after Payback, I'll give it another shot.

Wrestling on Earth's Dirt Sheet History series is always a fun look back in time, from the latest, December 2008:
* The latest issue of Pro Wrestling Illustrated has an article asking if Ring of Honor wrestler Bryan Danielson deserves all the hype he gets considering that a number of fans call him “The Best In The World.” However, some fans and wrestling insiders believe it’s ridiculous to slap Danielson with “The Best In The World” tag considering that he has little experience in the world’s biggest promotions. The article features an apparent quote from a WWE headliner ripping Danielson, who spoke to PWI on the condition of anonymity. Here is what was written in the article as it pertains to WWE:

“Best in the world? Give me a break. What, really, has he done?” wondered one WWE headliner and powerbroker who spoke under the condition of anonymity. “It takes more than just coming up with a few fancy submission holds to earn that kind of praise. Until he makes it to the big leagues, calling him ‘best in the world’ is an absolute joke.”

As harsh as those words may sound, they reflect a sentiment shared by others in the wrestling world that think Danielson’s hype is nothing more than just that – hype. They say that while Danielson’s unique offense may wow hardcore fans of independent wrestling shows, his lack of knowledge of how to actually “work” holds him back from making steps towards the next phase of his career. And, they say, while his fans may be quick to dismiss some of Danielson’s limitations as superficial — including his size and look — others say criticisms of Danielson’s lack of major league star power are legitimate.

While our WWE main eventer refused to be named in this story, many fans thought WWE champion Triple H had the “Dragon” in mind when he made these comments in an August interview with The Ottawa Sun. “If you go to the Internet, there’s always somebody saying ‘this guy is the best wrestler in the world’ … But it’s not about what they like. It’s what the masses like. These guys they’re talking about are wrestling in front of 50 people, not 20,000. And that’s because the masses don’t want to see them.”
The man who now runs NXT with these same indy guys.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think given Bryan the last couple of years, the current WWE Champion, and the foundation of your midcard and NXT, yes.

Yes, but this quote is from 2008.

The whole purpose of NXT is making guys better and ready for WWE, so that in fact just amplifies the quote. El Generico was great. Sami Zayn is better.

Yes, but this quote is from 2008.

The whole purpose of NXT is making guys better and ready for WWE, so that in fact just amplifies the quote. El Generico was great. Sami Zayn is better.
He's saying people don't want to see these indy guys though, Bryan proved that wrong before NXT, and NXT itself is proof that's not true.

Hasney

He's saying people don't want to see these indy guys though, Bryan proved that wrong before NXT, and NXT itself is proof that's not true.

I think he ended up being impressed by those guys though. I mean if you look at WRESTLEMANIA 30, he wrestled a very indie style.

Aiii

So not worth it

I don't agree that this is what he said at all. What he's saying is that people call these guys the best in the world, even though they have yet to prove that they have mass appeal. Yes, they have great support to a very specific crowd (NXT again proves this, where acts gets over that don't on the main roster and never will) and they won't get over with a mass diverse mainstream crowd like WWE has.

And, yes, for 2008 Bryan, this is probably true. The guy didn't get over in WWE as a main eventer until he became more than a great in-ring technician.

Aiii

So not worth it
El Generico was already one of the very best wrestlers in the world, as was Bryan Danielson, and pretending otherwise just because they hadn't yet plied their trade in the WWE is/was straight up bullshit.

Triple H is talking about mass appeal. He sees wrestling as more than just in-ring work... And I agree with him.

If Daniel had received his annual neck strengthening vaccinations he'd still be headlining. And I know for a fact he didn't because he has an unflattering beard. It's so large and unseemly it can practically be used as a brace for his crippled neck.

Triple H is talking about mass appeal. He sees wrestling as more than just in-ring work... And I agree with him.

All I'm saying is, fuck the idea that a guy HAS to go to WWE and HAS to prove he has mass appeal before being considered amongst the very best WRESTLERS in the world. Because that's complete bullshit.

And, hey, Daniel Bryan may have mass appeal, but he's not Best in the World any more. Them's the breaks.

It's worth pointing out that when they had Sami wrestle unmasked, everyone thought he was fucked...until they realized just how good of a goddamn promo he was when he wasn't shackled with the comedy gimmick of El Generico.

Tldr; we don't know shit

It's worth pointing out that when they had Sami wrestle unmasked, everyone thought he was fucked...until they realized just how good of a goddamn promo he was when he wasn't shackled with the comedy gimmick of El Generico.

Tldr; we don't know shit

Sure, no one knew that Sami had a good promo in him because of his prior gimmick, but anyone who'd ever watched an El Generico match knew what outstanding natural and physical charisma he had. I was far more certain that he'd be a success in WWE than I ever was with Bryan.

It's been great seeing the next crop of NXT wrestlers show up impressively on the big show. Obviously Neville, Kalisto, and Zayn are better than The Ascension and Adam Rose, but it's always nice to see them take advantage of their moments away from the Full Sail Zone to impress people who have their doubts that they can translate. There's 5 minute matches of Charlotte and Sasha on Main Event managing to fit in good, solid matches into such a short amount of time. I'm leaning optimistic until I'm bludgeoned the opposite way with the truth.

Sure, no one knew that Sami had a good promo in him because of his prior gimmick, but anyone who'd ever watched an El Generico match knew what outstanding natural and physical charisma he had. I was far more certain that he'd be a success in WWE than I ever was with Bryan.

Yeahh, Bryan was really a crapshoot. Crazy how things turn out.

Just like how Vince is blind and Zayn is more injury prone than Bryan?

It's like how The Ascension is the greatest tag team of the future. It's undeniable.
#WelcomeToTheWasteland

Maybe the future is a desolate wasteland because of people like DBry, so by default they become the greatest tag team..

Aiii

So not worth it
Brie said he was anti vax?

Bryan is on that show too.

But I think it was the ep where she revealed she wasn't on the pill because they don't believe in chemicals and blabla death and disease and that they don't use condoms so he has to come on her stomach.

And no, this isn't made up or anything, this is literally what is discussed on the show.
Total Divas is the best thing WWE produces, in case you hadn't realised by now.

I always find fake tv shows about fake tv shows to be the pillar of integrity. Though I do like when I use the internet.com it's just Stro on Reddit and Sunny here saying it. Sunny runs a website about wrestling, he could break this shit wide open. It's literally at his fingertips. Sell that information to Russo. It would go for some reasonable money since it would be the absolute first mention of it on the entire internet. Legit source for some Legit money.

The iron is hot and you're on the right side of the absurd vaccination debate. Make it happen, Sunny.

Aiii

So not worth it
I always find fake tv shows about fake tv shows to be the pillar of integrity. Though I do like when I use the internet.com it's just Stro on Reddit and Sunny here saying it. Sunny runs a website about wrestling, he could break this shit wide open. It's literally at his fingertips. Sell that information to Russo. It would go for some reasonable money since it would be the absolute first mention of it on the entire internet. Legit source for some Legit money.

The iron is hot and you're on the right side of the absurd vaccination debate. Make it happen, Sunny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxDr4CSBn-8

Bonus John Cena reaction video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThRIvJXFqaQ

Bryan is on that show too.

But I think it was the ep where she revealed she wasn't on the pill because they don't believe in chemicals and blabla death and disease and that they don't use condoms so he has to come on her stomach.

And no, this isn't made up or anything, this is literally what is discussed on the show.
Total Divas is the best thing WWE produces, in case you hadn't realised by now.

So what you're saying is that Daniel Bryan is on #teamnocondom?

Top Bottom