• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayweather calls out Pacquiao for May 2nd fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ESPN

Mayweather said during a Showtime interview that he wants to fight Pacquiao next and wants the fight to be May 2, the Cinco de Mayo weekend that Mayweather has regularly fought on.

"We are ready. Let's make it happen. May 2. Mayweather versus Manny Pacquiao. Let's do it," Mayweather said in the interview in San Antonio, where his promotional company was putting on a boxing card.

"I would love to fight Manny Pacquiao. We tried to make the fight happen years ago; we had problems with random blood and urine testing," Mayweather said. "I just want to be on an even playing field. Now he's in a very, very tight situation. He's lost to [Juan Manuel] Marquez [in 2012], he's lost to [Timothy] Bradley [by controversial decision in 2012 but avenged it in April]. Pay-per-view numbers are extremely low. He's desperate. I wanted that fight a long time ago. I'm just waiting on them."

"Floyd Mayweather is not ducking or dodging any opponent. Bob Arum is stopping the fight. We have been trying to make this fight happen behind the scenes for years now, but the fans and the people have been fooled because they have been listening to people just on one side. Now it's time for us to talk. We want the fight."

"So let's make this fight happen. Manny Pacquiao, Bob Arum, you guys have been ducking us for years," Mayweather said. "We're tired of you guys fooling the public, fooling the critics. You guys didn't want to take random blood and urine testing, so that's why it didn't happen. Then I offered you $40 million, then you didn't want to make the fight happen. You lost twice, now you coming back begging for the same money. That's not gonna happen. Let's make the fight happen for the people and the fans. Mayweather versus Pacquiao, May 2nd, Cinco de Mayweather." more at link..

Would this fight even be worth watching anymore? Will it even actually happen?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

(yes, it would be worth watching though not what it would have been 6 or 7 years ago.)

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

(yes, it would be worth watching though not what it would have been 6 or 7 years ago.)

Yep, that's how I feel. Damn shame that politics or ducking or whatever robbed us of what could have been one of the greatest fights of all time years ago.

RBH

Would love to see it happen, but we've been down this road before.

Need to have the two agree on the purse and also need HBO & Showtime to come to terms as well for this thing to finally happen.

Enough of the goddamn posturing.

Who gives a fuck? Both guys are like 5'2".

Whatever happened to heavyweight boxing? :(

220px-VladimirVitaliy.jpg

Domination. Hayden Panettiere included.

El Topo

Who gives a fuck? Both guys are like 5'2".

Whatever happened to heavyweight boxing? :(

It's not in such a bad state, although mismanagement of talent, injuries and bad luck have left its mark, not to mention Klitschko burying all competition for almost a decade.

Wilder vs. Stiverne will be 1/17/15 for the WBC title, Klitschko vs. Jennings is rumored for April and (assuming Klitschko wins) we might get a title unification match later next year. There have also been some good fights this year, e.g. Takam vs. Povetkin was pretty decent. Klitschko vs. Pulev had a nice knockout. Thompson has also been entertaining, even if he is clearly past his prime, at least he fought good talent. Some good talent around, the division hasn't been this stacked in a long time.

I've been hearing buzz every now and then about that Deontay Wilder guy. So there's that.

Wilder is a pretty nice guy. His boxing skills might be limited (compared e.g. to Povetkin), but he's packing power.

smurfx

get some go again
wonder how long before mayweather starts making crazy demands like the purse being 80/20 for him and making other little demands.

Cipherr

Oh, these two want attention again? I don't give two shits until its all set and ready to go. Done with all the pump faking from these two dudes. Shit should have happened forever ago.

It's a joke. Both of them (Pac/Arum-Mayweather) are in on it and playing the public for fools, to drum up and maintain relevance to both their second hand fights. It's all a game.

Fuck them both.

abuC

Its too late. Needed to happen before those losses.

Why did it need to happen before those losses, it's not like Pac was undefeated, he had already been knocked out twice and lost on the cards before losing those two fights.

abuC

It's a joke. Both of them (Pac/Arum-Mayweather) are in on it and playing the public for fools, to drum up and maintain relevance to both their second hand fights. It's all a game.

Fuck them both.

Pac's PPV numbers are in a free fall, he needs this fight to happen, as much as Arum hates Mayweather he loves money even more.

Cotto vs Canelo & Alexander vs Kahn has taken 4 potential opponents off the table, I think it'll happen now.

Frog-fu

Banned
I've never understood why people like Floyd

I don't like Floyd, but I admire his skills as a boxer, and I don't buy the nonsense that he's been running from Pacquiao for years. The man is more than just a boxer, he's well aware of what is worth is and how much money he stands to make.

Absolutely nothing has changed. Mayweather even says in that article Pacquiao won't be offered what was offered before, sounds like a guy who still wants to only do the fight 100% on his terms

abuC

Absolutely nothing has changed. Mayweather even says in that article Pacquiao won't be offered what was offered before, sounds like a guy who still wants to only do the fight 100% on his terms

Manny's PPV buys for his last fight were terrible, he's really not in a position to make demands. They offered him $40 million, 60/40 split before his KO loss to JMM, why should he get the same offer now?

too late will not buy and will not watch, will catch highlights. Manny is way past his prime now. Mayweather waited for Manny to get old and lose a couple of fights to agree to fight him lol.

Doesn't mayweather pick his opponents?
Yes its not like old school boxing where the best fought the best while in there primes. The fighters can now have total control over who they fight and when. Mayweather promotes himself while Manny is under Bob Arum. Its not about giving you people a good fight its all about the money.

Silliest sport when you really think about it. What other sport allows you to pick your competition and agree to your own terms? Should be forced to participate. Did Mayweather invent this concept of ducking? 95% of the people I know that actively follow boxing say this.

Old boxing videos make it seem like the golden years of the sport have passed. Wasn't prize money in the past determined by the winner and not before hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom