• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter |OT| of Knock Knock, it's Tier 1

FStop7

Banned
Oh man, this game breaks cardinal rule #1 in campaign mode.

AI teammates who literally shove you out of cover into a hail of death because you're standing in a spot where they are scripted to go.

That may actually be my biggest pet peeve in gaming. It's fucking bullshit.

antitrop

Oh man, this game breaks cardinal rule #1 in campaign mode.

AI teammates who literally shove you out of cover into a hail of death because you're standing in a spot where they are scripted to go.

That may actually be my biggest pet peeve in gaming. It's fucking bullshit.
I actually haven't even run into that yet. Thank you for preparing me for the inevitable frustration.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
You would think too after watching a video where they talk about the AI + enviro that we would not have these problems anymore. But seems like everything down to the T is all on rails if so which is a bit of a shame.

Vid from the original game where the AI engineer talks about how the AI acts to the enviro around it and the software used at the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaDsNmbZQAQ

antitrop

Taking camera controls out of the players hand in a first person game when it's not even a cutscene is ridiculous.

Call of Duty does it a lot, but CoD manages to do it in a "cleaner" less obtrusive and offensive way than Medal of Honor.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Granted I have not played the game yet, if there is one thing Im sick of is the constant getting knocked down by explosions scenes that appears in almost every modern FPS game these days at least once.

Would be nice if they actually designed something to be a bit more "random" giving everyone a different OH SHIT experience which is what drums up conversation. Instead of the railing the game is getting for well being just that. On rails.

I seriously hope that the story is at least as good as the original. But from what Ive seen so far from SP vids out there, its looking a bit like it went the Michael Bay route...

antitrop

Granted I have not played the game yet, if there is one thing Im sick of is the constant getting knocked down by explosions scenes that appears in almost every modern FPS game these days at least once.
You'll be happy to know that you get knocked down by a sniper round rather than an explosion in this game. If that makes you feel any better.

I mean, there's explosions, too.

Cudder

am i the only one who dont understand shit on how the unlock system work online?

no, it's fucking stupid. I finally unlocked a second gun online but its kinda shit, so Im back to using my default gun. I complained earlier that you never know WHAT you unlock or WHEN. you always have to go to the loadout screen to check if you even got new shit, and someone corrected me saying that Gun unlocks and attachment unlocks DO show up when you unlock them but they dont.

like, there is no fucking order at all to unlocking anything. every fucking weapon has a scope on it by default, i dont get it. it doesn't even tell you how to unlock attachments. ok, use the gun for a long time and shit will unlock, but going to the attachments screen and seeing 99% of shit with a lock icon on it and it just saying "Locked" without any indication as to how you unlock that particular attachment is annoying as FUCK.

at least give us a "Kills needed: 134/200" or SOMETHING.

/rant

I know for a fact that I said "Fuck" more times during my 4 years in the military than I did the other 23 outside of it, so I get the vulgarity, it's accurate when dealing with military in combat situations, but this game "tries too hard". Military speak is always overblown in movies and video games, actual members of military usually just talk to each like... normal human beings. Imagine that. This game way overblows the dialogue to make it seem like what the public's perception of "military talk" is like.

Good example of the way people in the military talk to each other: Spec Ops

Bad example: Medal of Honor: Warfighter or any Call of Duty.

So they don't speak all military jargon all the time like this game? hehe. From what I've seen of this game on the Gamespot now playing is partners barely talk to each other in terms of small talk. Not even flavor bro talk, just nothing. What does "dope" mean, they say that a lot in a sniper section.

I'm surprised a game like Spec Ops The Line that wasn't even trying to be realistic surpasses in this category :p One of my favorite games this year, too.

ZSeba

Taking camera controls out of the players hand in a first person game when it's not even a cutscene is ridiculous.

Call of Duty does it a lot, but CoD manages to do it in a "cleaner" less obtrusive and offensive way than Medal of Honor.

Call of Duty games (at least the one from IW) never take camera controls out of the player if I remember correctly :/

antitrop

So they don't speak all military jargon all the time like this game? hehe. From what I've seen of this game on the Gamespot now playing is partners barely talk to each other. Not even flavor bro talk, just nothing. What does "dope" mean, they say that a lot in a sniper section.

I'm surprised a game like Spec Ops The Line that wasn't even trying to be realistic surpasses in this category :p One of my favorite games this year, too.

Let me put it this way. In the United States Military, people talk to each other differently, depending on the situation.
Medal of Honor doesn't present a respectable example what people in that sort of a situation would normally say. Spec Ops: The Line's dialogue was great, especially from the enemy combatants perspective.
They asked you why you were shooting them while you were shooting them, that's rather significant, don't you think?

As far as DOPE goes, the military is no stranger (laughably the opposite, even) to acronyms, and DEE OH PEE EE is one of them. D.O.P.E. DOPE.
Even in the Marines we were required to keep books for our shooting scores and DOPE was part of that.
DOPE, in the context I think you used it in, means Data On Previous Engagement.
It basically means use the information that you gained from shooting at your target to adjust the sights for a better shot the next time.

I don't know why the game likes aiming for "authenticity" for things like DOPE and the plenty of other military acronyms. (I spent 4 years as an 0311 in the Marines and I had to look that one up, I'm not a sniper. Acronyms are useful in the military and are often over-used. Sit next to me while playing Call of Duty, I can probably name them all for you, at least the important ones) , or at least quickly look it up on my phone, but then completely eschews realism when it comes to firing an M4 after coming out of water.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I don't have Premium on Origin but I do have it on PS3

I got a code for 50% off lol

Strange o_O?

Gibbo

not a big fan of the last medal of honor- but went ahead and bought this game anyway after just having read No Easy Day. graphics are the highlight so far as people have already pointed out.

Let me put it this way. In the United States Military, people talk to each other differently, depending on the situation.
Medal of Honor doesn't present a respectable example what people in that sort of a situation would normally say. Spec Ops: The Line's dialogue was great, especially from the enemy combatants perspective.
They asked you why you were shooting them while you were shooting them, that's rather significant, don't you think?

As far as DOPE goes, the military is no stranger (laughably the opposite, even) to acronyms, and DEE OH PEE EE is one of them. D.O.P.E. DOPE.
Even in the Marines we were required to keep books for our shooting scores and DOPE was part of that.
DOPE, in the context I think you used it in, means Data On Previous Engagement.
It basically means use the information that you gained from shooting at your target to adjust the sights for a better shot the next time.

I don't know why the game likes aiming for "authenticity" for things like DOPE and the plenty of other military acronyms. (I spent 4 years as an 0311 in the Marines and I had to look that one up, I'm not a sniper. Acronyms are useful in the military and are often over-used. Sit next to me while playing Call of Duty, I can probably name them all for you, at least the important ones) , or at least quickly look it up on my phone, but then completely eschews realism when it comes to firing an M4 after coming out of water.
Cool to know, didn't know DOPE was an actual acronym lol

There is one innovation in MoH Warfighter.

ibh77NrvcLUXRQ.jpg

They've added bile GREEN to the red bloody screen to inform you your gallbladder is failing each time you're getting shot.

Was dual views first shown in Red Orchestra 2? I remember then seeing it in MW 3 and now this game. Cool adaptable feature.

antitrop

If anybody needs a military to civilian translation for Medal of Honor, I'd be happy to help, ROFL.

I mean that jokingly, but I get it. Sometimes military speak can be rather.... forward and obtuse.

Dennis

Banned
This game starts out so very very weak.

It was not really until the
Philippines mission
that I started to feel I was getting something for my money.

demolitio

This game starts out so very very weak.

It was not really until the
Philippines mission
that I started to feel I was getting something for my money.

Agreed. That was the first one where I felt like I was playing a decent campaign again. That one reminded me of the previous MOH a little more and it looked good at times.

antitrop

What does "Raise you up on our Betty" mean?
Betty is like a pet name, so it's like a truck or something? Like get in the truck and we'll give you a ride? That's what I would take it as. Or anything really.

The military has a few names everyone knows, such as Wagner. He just loves the cock. Or Jody, he'll steal your girl.

Like that. Also I think that Wagner might just be the biggest inside joke to ever cross international borders.
For the love of God if there is anyone out there that knows what I'm talking about when it comes to Wagner and Iraq, please support.

Sober

I feel like Warfighter took the poor parts of MW2 and ran with it. Some of it was nice, but I was for the most part disappointed with it. Good thing BF3 premium helped pay for a bit of it.

For SP, it feels like they didn't look at why people liked 2010 and did the same thing I felt IW did with CoD4 to MW2, and just make it globe hopping and set it over a much longer period of time (at least in WF's case) so that nothing ever felt connected at all between settings. A shame they had to relegate
Dusty
to being eyes-and-ears/exposition-man. Again, it feels like the MoH2010 cast got put into some weird TF141 situation without really explaining how. I really didn't like any of the parts where they kept talking about Preacher's family/the homefront. It felt super forced, being made as flashbacks and poorly interweaved with nothing really important happening for the most part. Maybe they should've have some actual downtime 'missions' or something so you had time with the other characters. Also, the uncanny valley on every woman/girl in them. The only time I really felt they nailed the camaraderie was
Voodoo and that old GROM friend just shooting the shit before the mission
and
Dusty showing up for the end and everyone greeting him.
There were some parts they just missed, like just totally dropping
what happens to Tiger12, he was on your boat, shot and bleeding and then he just disappears?
. Stuff like that.

Shooting for the most part was fun, I much prefer the ballistic model vs. hitscan weapons even though for some reason it took a bit more time than I thought to get used to the game. Must be the FOV? I guess the scoping in = more sensitivity was intended, which I don't mind. What I hated was not being able to cycle zoom modes out of ADS, which would have been a nice thing they seemed to have overlooked. Also, lean + peek is still a fantastic idea for covershooting in FPS mode. Don't remember 2010/Airborne's implementation but I hated that it got messed with your collision, so that if you moved a pixel too far it would just mess up your angle and everything. Didn't really like the whole point of the heavy gunner enemy either.

I did enjoy the driving sequences, though you could tell that was Criterion through-and-through. Fun nonetheless, or at least a good enough change of pace from the manshooting. Other memorable moments for me also include
shootouts through the training camp, especially the train/plane mockups
the helo sequence
and the
on foot chase sequence

MP I only have played maybe 2-3 hours of, not entirely that engrossing to me. Maps feel too small, they make the Close Quarters maps in the BF3 expansion feel spacious (which they actually are). The buddy system is fantastic and the weapon accessories feature is pretty cool, even if I'm not that hardcore into guns (anymore) but the UI for that is just atrocious. I don't know how most unlocks can be obtained; neither ingame or Battlelog tell me how. Not having too much fun with the MP, but that might be because they give some higher magnification scopes to start with while maps are already too small for them. Or I just enjoy the Spec Ops class but want to try the other ones out for real. So it's weird how (backup) iron sights have to be unlocks.

Haven't played much MP, but I'd say the SP is worth at best a 7.5/10.

demolitio

Holy shit, this game has LaRue in it as well? I knew Daniels Defense was, but that's fucking awesome that they put that much detail into it and even used the real manufacturers for the scopes and sights. Attention to detail once again.

If only they gave this game more time to cook before releasing. MP is pretty fun though.

Cheska

I was hoping some of you were exaggerating about the campaign but I'm finding it indeed lackluster as well. Think I'm on the fourth or fifth mission and I've run into more bugs and issues than I care to admit :( Best Buy is offering $40 for this and I'm seriously considering taking that up.

Edit: Game also just froze and locked up my PS3 ._.

Sober

Holy shit, this game has LaRue in it as well? I knew Daniels Defense was, but that's fucking awesome that they put that much detail into it and even used the real manufacturers for the scopes and sights. Attention to detail once again.

If only they gave this game more time to cook before releasing. MP is pretty fun though.
You can switch fire modes while reloading.

If you have a weapon with an AK-ish receiver, when you switch fire modes you take your hand off the grip to flick it. When you reload and do that, your weapon hovers for a split second. Some attention to detail :p

demolitio

You can switch fire modes while reloading.

If you have a weapon with an AK-ish receiver, when you switch fire modes you take your hand off the grip to flick it. When you reload and do that, your weapon hovers for a split second. Some attention to detail :p

Haha, I noticed that earlier today too.

This game has some problems, but they do have a lot of little things in there to love for their military or ex-military players or gun enthusiasts in general.

Hell, I've been wanting some of these sights and scopes in other shooters for years now and they not only get them, but also the actual licenses for them as well. Not using a generic reflex sight now. We use the expensive shit! :p

antitrop

If I could go back in time and tell my little child self that in 2012 Medal of Honor and Spec Ops would both be two important war games in that year and that both games would try to revive dead franchises, but Spec Ops succeeded where Medal of Honor failed, my child self would slap my current self in the face for obvious lying.

Because looking at the franchises with a 90's perspective is hilarious.

1999: Medal of Honor: Everyone is flipping the fuck out over it. The big badass of first person shooters
1999: Spec Ops. No fun, instant franchise death. Some PS1 budget release no one buys.

2012: Medal of Honor: Meh.
2012: Spec Ops: Total game changer. Completely changes the genre and should be used as a design guide for telling a compelling and interesting war narrative.

Interesting dichotomy the two franchises have there.

Betty is like a pet name, so it's like a truck or something? Like get in the truck and we'll give you a ride? That's what I would take it as. Or anything really.

The military has a few names everyone knows, such as Wagner. He just loves the cock. Or Jody, he'll steal your girl.

Like that. Also I think that Wagner might just be the biggest inside joke to ever cross international borders.
For the love of God if there is anyone out there that knows what I'm talking about when it comes to Wagner and Iraq, please support.

Makes sense.

Are hand grenades' explosion radius actually as small as in this game (dude hides behind a wooden table and is fine) and the one shown on this Iran football match?

antitrop

Makes sense.

Are hand grenades' explosion radius actually as small as in this game (dude hides behind a wooden table and is fine) and the one shown on this Iran football match?
Frag granades shoot shrapnel everywhere, that's how they work. They don't give off a big fiery explosion, and everything that shoots up in the air is just dust and dirt.

Modern M67 grenades shoot shrapnel fragments upon combustion, flinging pieces of metal all over the place at insanely high speeds. Grenades are unpredictable, but I don't feel like this game get's grenades wrong really. They do have a very small blast radius in real life. It's just a hand grenade, you throw it in a doorway before you enter so you know everyone is dead or disabled before you have to fight them face to face.

The actual combustion of the grenade is not what's necessarily intended to cause damage, it doesn't "explode" like in the movies, it explodes and sends tiny tiny tiny pieces of metal in all directions. A table may be a decent piece of cover when dealing with a grenade, because it's only metal fragments. It could still go right through the wood, it might get stuck. It is not unreasonable to hide behind like a bookshelf or a dinner table when a grenade rolls in. Metal fragments don't have enough power to slice through thicker wood, usually. The combustion reaction is frightening, though, and that's another advantage in combat. Everyone knows that fear is a powerful tool of the military in an operation, by any means necessary. Shock and awe, people.

All the rest is physics and I leave that to the math nerds. One thing is for sure, games get nowhere close to how loud the combustion of an actual hand grenade is. It is extremely loud, given the size. Games tend to downplay the sound of grenades and upplay the fiery redness or other visual effects. (Of which there is practically zero in a frag grenade explosion)

Orca

I don't think there's any shitter graffiti in MoH lol

Sober

The more I think about how the campaign went down, I wish Danger Close just did a game based on The Unit or something, which might've been a better thing to nail what they were doing in 2010 than what we got for Warfighter.

antitrop

I don't think there's any shitter graffiti in MoH lol
No, absolutely not (There is no way anyone at EA would ever know who Wagner is).
But you know what... THERE FUCKING SHOULD BE! =D
Getting "Wagner Loves The Cock" into a modern military shooter portashitter should be a new goal of mine.

Or not, I rather like the inside jokes.

I don't feel like EA or Activision would give Wagner the distinction he so properly deserves.

antitrop

For anyone wondering, Lima Charlie means "Loud and Clear" for a radio check. Although that term was actively discouraged from use in the military. The proper response to a radio check is "Roger. Loud and Clear, Out" "Lima Charlie" works if you're talking to you're friends, though.

antitrop

For some reason this game strikes me as incredibly dark. Even in well lit areas during daytime with the brightness turned to the maximum settings it's really, really, dark. Like my rifle just completely fades away into the black inside a building that has windows in broad daylight. But it looks like it's 9 o' clock at night, but the sun is right there!

This game is weird.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Multiplayer says TBA on their site.

Shouldn't that mean the review's score be incomplete rather than be graded? Unless they're grading the MP separately and then averaging it?! If so, kinda weird and seems to jump on the chance of being "teh fi11rst" review.

I kinda do know the reviewer though. Just seems odd he'd do that.

Varth

No reviews isn't encouraging.

How's multiplayer?

Promo copies were sent today.

In the meanwhile, I could take a look a the whopping 650 MB of the review guide :D
Between this and the patch, I think they're bigger than the game itself on the disk.

Anyway: pretty optimistic on multiplayer.

antitrop

I think the fact that EA sends out "review guides" is disgraceful.

Gamers don't get a "gamers guide" to tell them how to play the game (let's be honest, instruction manuals are a non-thing) anymore, I don't understand why EA feels the need to dictate how to "properly" review video games.

The fuck is in a review guide? They just tell you how awesome the game is?

Varth

I think the fact that EA sends out "review guides" is disgraceful.

Gamers don't get a "gamers guide" to tell them how to play the game (let's be honest, instruction manuals are a non-thing) anymore, I don't understand why EA feels the need to dictate how to "properly" review video games.

Actually is just an overview of classes and features for the multiplayer. Pretty useless as most review guides.

Aaron

They can vary a lot. Some review copies don't come with manuals, so they replace them. Some are guides so reviews can get through a game quickly, and get a review done on time. Some can be more promo-ish, calling your attention to certain aspects of the game. I've never seen one that tried to influence a review and convince you a game is super awesome. They're fact sheets.

The second driving mission
"Hello and Dubai"
will be the only cool thing remembered from this game.
Burnout-like takedowns, car stealth, and duststorms
?! And it's not even by the same developer!

MoH is the CNN of military shooters. It has an identity crisis. It's trying to be authentic while also trying to be CoD-simple in its gameplay which just leaves you with a forgettable campaign with not much spectacle. If you're a military shooter, either go all out ArmA-like realism on the gameplay or go CoD-like rollercoaster where you're not there for deep gameplay but for the thrill ride. Spec Ops: The Line suceeded on the latter and turned the entire genre on its head.

antitrop

The second driving mission
"Hello and Dubai"
will be the only cool thing remembered from this game.
Burnout-like takedowns, car stealth, and duststorms
?! And it's not even by the same developer!

MoH is the CNN of military shooters. It has an identity crisis. It's trying to be authentic while also trying to be CoD-simple in its gameplay which just leaves you with a forgettable campaign with not much spectacle. If you're a military shooter, either go all out ArmA-like realism on the gameplay or go CoD-like rollercoaster where you're not there for deep gameplay but for the thrill ride. Spec Ops: The Line suceeded on the latter and turned the entire genre on its head.

Exactly.

Top Bottom